Selling on Ebay

Tom Kunich

Sep 18, 2021, 8:16:26 PM9/18/21
I had some 10 speed Campy levers on Craigslist for over a week without any action so I put them on Ebay and sold them in the first hour. The problem was that they were sold to a man 8 miles away from me and when I got his payment from Ebay they had taken out 12.5%. Not only from my price but the sales tax as well. This is all hell and gone more than they used to charge and I immediately took my other items off of Ebay and won't be using them again for anything.

While nothing is moving and Ebay is a much larger market, I am not subjecting myself to usury. Screw them and the white horse they rode in on.

Jeff Liebermann

Sep 18, 2021, 11:16:52 PM9/18/21
"Selling fees"
<https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822>
Where eBay does manage payments: "12.55% on total amount of the sale
up to $7,500 calculated per item + $0.30 per order". It's been like
that since April 2021.

"The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling
charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any
other applicable fees." Notice the "sales tax".

"Selling fees (when eBay is not managing your payments)"
<https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364>
"10.2% (maximum fee $750 per item)" This is for sellers that accept
payment NOT processed by eBay.

I don't recall what the previous eBay commission rate was, but I think
it was about 10.5% about 2 years ago. The 2% difference on a $200
sale is $4. Please consult your financial advisor to see how large an
impact this $4 makes on your net worth.

Congratulations on the first sale.
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/294402608338>
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/294402530081>
However, the second item shows: "This listing was ended by the seller
because the item is no longer available".
which is what appears when you withdrew the listing so that you can
sell it directly to the buyer without paying eBay a commission.
Although it's a minor detail, you might want to correct your
description of the sale.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

sms

Sep 19, 2021, 12:07:54 AM9/19/21
On 9/18/2021 8:16 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip>

> I don't recall what the previous eBay commission rate was, but I think
> it was about 10.5% about 2 years ago. The 2% difference on a $200
> sale is $4. Please consult your financial advisor to see how large an
> impact this $4 makes on your net worth.

One advantage of eBay is that eBay buyers are usually willing to pay
more for an item than people using other platforms.

I recall my late step-brother who had a comic book store. He said that
selling the same item on eBay versus in the store, he always got more
money on eBay, often significantly more. So even that 12.55% commission
might be worth it.

John B.

Sep 19, 2021, 2:18:23 AM9/19/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 21:07:50 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:
I can't comment on eBay but when I was bidding contracts for oil
company construction projects our standard "Overhead" figure was 15%.
--
Cheers,

John B.