Obese cyclists rejoice

AMuzi

Nov 24, 2021, 10:19:20 AM11/24/21

Tom Kunich

Nov 24, 2021, 10:43:02 AM11/24/21
There are a number of video's posted by a guy Leanardo and he is pretty large. He has not found any problems finding cycling attire nor bicycles and wheels capable of holding his weight. He has to be more careful to read the weight limits of bicycles and wheels but surprisingly enough, Trek bikes say there are no weight limits on their wheels. I am a great deal taller than him so we aren't a very large difference in weight and I haven't had any broken wheels in over 8 years since I stopped buying Campagnolo Neurons and switched to wheels like their Protons and Neutrons. And the only think that caused the Neurons to break was riding down a road at over 25 mph and hitting a water turn-off valve that was missing its cover so that there was perhaps 6" hole that was 10" in diameter.

Roger Merriman

Nov 24, 2021, 12:17:24 PM11/24/21
It’s more the clothes than kit. Which at least for roadies is aimed at
skinny folks, hence folks like Fat Lad at the back, who launched a few
years back to make kit for larger riders.

MTB/Gravel stuff tends to be less figure hugging so fits much more like
normal clothes.

Roger Merriman

pH

Nov 24, 2021, 1:05:25 PM11/24/21
Ah, finally a line of clothing for us Clydesdales. I don't recall giving
them permission to use my image, though.

pH in Aptos

Tom Kunich

Nov 24, 2021, 1:14:37 PM11/24/21
You have to admit that "photo from the past" was humorous. Hopefully he managed to get his weight down to something healthy. There is far too much of this in the present food crazed population.

Sepp Ruf

Nov 24, 2021, 5:22:48 PM11/24/21
Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 10:05:25 AM UTC-8, pH wrote:
>> On 2021-11-24, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bicycleretailer.com/announcements/2021/11/11/pearl-izumi-partners-body-positivity-advocate-marley-blonsky#.YZ5XqhKNWOI

Yeah, clothing is a real problem ... how strong a wonderbra is there to
position the eyes correctly?
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/153024039749>

From what I see, fatties break equipment not designed for them and get
discouraged. So Andrew, is it fatties or shop owners who are aren't
doing their research? These bikes worked, but did not sell well:
<https://schauff.de/schauff/index.php?language=e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL+Heavy+Duty&label=&gender=&id=1650&jahr=2018>

>>> Current fashion I suppose:
>>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/tifosi.jpg
>> Ah, finally a line of clothing for us Clydesdales. I don't recall
>> giving them permission to use my image, though.

:-)

> You have to admit that "photo from the past" was humorous. Hopefully
> he managed to get his weight down to something healthy. There is far
> too much of this in the present food crazed population.

BTW, if that population would remember that Advent could involve a week
of fasting and switching to a healthy diet instead of just madly
shopping and baking useless birds and cookies, it would certainly do
more good to their immune systems than lining up to receive some
completely experimental "booster" shot.

--
April L.: He was a sk8er boi.
Kyle R.: Was.

Tom Kunich

Nov 24, 2021, 5:35:17 PM11/24/21
Well Leonardo was quit large but he has lost a great deal of it. I think part of that was because he wanted to be able to ride a normal bike. And if you were just starting don't you think a used steel bike would be a good idea weight or no?

Sir Ridesalot

Nov 24, 2021, 5:37:57 PM11/24/21
I remember in the 1980s when shops in Toronto, Canada told people that they wouldn't recommend anyone over 180 lbs ride a Columbus SL frameset. They steered those heavier riders towards SLX.

Cheers

Lou Holtman

Nov 24, 2021, 5:45:48 PM11/24/21
?? Slx had thinner tubes.

Lou

Tom Kunich

Nov 24, 2021, 6:19:37 PM11/24/21
And when they ran blind tests EVERYONE chose Thron over the other tubes. They weren't clear about exactly why but they hinted that Thron rode much better, I do know that the weight difference between all of the top end tubing sets was almost nothing.

AMuzi

Nov 24, 2021, 7:28:30 PM11/24/21
Boxed set weights:
SLX 1960g
SL 1940g
Thron 2250g

There are more Columbus tube labels than anything except all
the shapes of pasta:

https://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2007/11/columbus-steel-tubing-for-frame.html

Tom Kunich

Nov 25, 2021, 10:14:32 AM11/25/21
That is 11 ounces for a bike that weighed in at 24 lbs. And that was before the ill-advised belief in super-light-weight making you faster. I don't know about you but I don't want a frameset that is 60% resin to be bending underneath me to make it more "compliant".

William Crowell

Nov 26, 2021, 8:51:00 AM11/26/21
It is the height of irony that bicycling is classically Italian; Italian chefs cook pasta; pasta makes you fat; and then you can't ride very fast. When I was touring in Italy, I always enjoyed riding on Sunday morning because you'd always find a group of chubby bankers, stock brokers and middle management employees doing their weekly ride. They went at about the right speed for me. Around noon they'd adjourn to the trattoria, and after that usually to the bar, to consume a veritable %*@!load of beer.

Lou Holtman

Nov 26, 2021, 9:16:06 AM11/26/21
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 2:51:00 PM UTC+1, William Crowell wrote:
> It is the height of irony that bicycling is classically Italian; Italian chefs cook pasta; pasta makes you fat; and then you can't ride very fast. When I was touring in Italy, I always enjoyed riding on Sunday morning because you'd always find a group of chubby bankers, stock brokers and middle management employees doing their weekly ride. They went at about the right speed for me. Around noon they'd adjourn to the trattoria, and after that usually to the bar, to consume a veritable %*@!load of beer.

A LOT of pasta makes you fat just like a LOT of potato's or <fill in the blanks>. The problem with a lot of cyclists is that they think that after a ride they can eat a lot of food. They overestimate the burned calories.

Lou

William Crowell

Nov 26, 2021, 9:56:01 AM11/26/21
Lou H. wrote: "The problem with a lot of cyclists is that they [...] overestimate the burned calories."

Yes, but it sure does tickle our taste buds when we do so. Also, Lou, we're in denial about how addicted we are to the wonderful taste of Mama's or Nona's delicious pasta sauce. Take poor Dick Contino, one of my Concord, CA homeboys from the '50s: after having a big hit with his accordion rendition of "Lady of Spain", he got his draft notice to report for duty during the Korean war. But his attitude was, "You've got to be kidding! Give up Mama's pasta sauce? No way!" So he didn't report to the Selective Service office, went to jail for draft non-compliance, and his musical career suffered greatly. But it was worth it for Mama's pasta sauce! A fellow has got to set his priorities.

AMuzi

Nov 26, 2021, 10:06:36 AM11/26/21
On 11/26/2021 7:50 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> It is the height of irony that bicycling is classically Italian; Italian chefs cook pasta; pasta makes you fat; and then you can't ride very fast. When I was touring in Italy, I always enjoyed riding on Sunday morning because you'd always find a group of chubby bankers, stock brokers and middle management employees doing their weekly ride. They went at about the right speed for me. Around noon they'd adjourn to the trattoria, and after that usually to the bar, to consume a veritable %*@!load of beer.

There's Italy and then there's Italy.
In most of Italy, pasta is a side on a small plate. In the
far south, it's an entree or rather the meal. Or was.
Regional differences are disappearing there as everywhere
but that's the historical version from my mixed (part
Abruzzi part Calabria) families.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Nov 26, 2021, 10:07:42 AM11/26/21

AMuzi

Nov 26, 2021, 10:11:11 AM11/26/21
On 11/26/2021 7:50 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> It is the height of irony that bicycling is classically Italian; Italian chefs cook pasta; pasta makes you fat; and then you can't ride very fast. When I was touring in Italy, I always enjoyed riding on Sunday morning because you'd always find a group of chubby bankers, stock brokers and middle management employees doing their weekly ride. They went at about the right speed for me. Around noon they'd adjourn to the trattoria, and after that usually to the bar, to consume a veritable %*@!load of beer.

Obesity rates:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/obesity-rates-by-country

Italy 19.9%
USA 36.2%

Tom Kunich

Nov 26, 2021, 10:54:38 AM11/26/21
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 7:11:11 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 11/26/2021 7:50 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> > It is the height of irony that bicycling is classically Italian; Italian chefs cook pasta; pasta makes you fat; and then you can't ride very fast. When I was touring in Italy, I always enjoyed riding on Sunday morning because you'd always find a group of chubby bankers, stock brokers and middle management employees doing their weekly ride. They went at about the right speed for me. Around noon they'd adjourn to the trattoria, and after that usually to the bar, to consume a veritable %*@!load of beer.
> >
> Obesity rates:
> https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/obesity-rates-by-country
>
> Italy 19.9%
> USA 36.2%

Right, and not one are one in three overweight but one in seven are grossly obese. These people clearly accept the fact that they will be literally crippled as they get older and will die at least 10 years before they usually would.

William Crowell

Nov 26, 2021, 11:17:33 AM11/26/21
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 7:06:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
"In most of Italy, pasta is a side on a small plate. In the far south, it's an entree or rather the meal."

When touring in Northern Italy I became totally addicted to pesto a la Genovese, but when I would ride only about 50 miles away from Genoa they would claim they didn't know what it was. I think that was because the other regions were jealous of it!

Tom Kunich

Nov 26, 2021, 11:40:01 AM11/26/21
A serving of Pesto a la Genovese is one third of the calories I burned on my ride yesterday. I don't know where people get the idea that Pasta has a high calorie count. That is so low that you really have to make a pig out of yourself to match your daily calorie burn.

AMuzi

Nov 26, 2021, 12:10:32 PM11/26/21
And diners in Wisconsin don't serve grits with breakfast.
Normal regional variance.