Peloton speeds

Tom Kunich

Jul 21, 2021, 12:59:18 PM7/21/21
Those watching the Tour de France were often treated to visions virtually unheard of except in the most rapid of descents. On at the very lease, the Champs-Élysées has a very slight descent. This is so slight that you can barely see it. But the peloton was hitting 50 mph. That's right - not kph but mph.

These speeds are not because the bikes are lighter. Part of it is because bikes are made more aero, but this is a rather small part. The largest reason for these preposterous speeds on a bicycle is that everyone is riding smaller bikes. This presents a lower aero profile and allows higher speeds.

I normally ride a 62 cm bike but my Colnago is a 58. This is the bike I set all of my personal bests on since I recovered from my concussion. Since I've gone back to my 62 cm titanium bikes, my descending speeds have dropped rather remarkably with 36 mph being achieved on descents that the 58 cm bikes were hitting 42 mph or faster. Since I was so tired on that ride yesterday, I was particularly interested in my descending speed and watched it carefully.

All in all I'd rather ride the larger bikes which are more comfortable. But younger riders make such trade-offs more easily than some broken down senior citizen.

AK

Jul 30, 2021, 8:25:36 PM7/30/21
Hey, I am a senior citizen but am not broken down.
:-)

Andy