Bronze Colur N600 AERO Brak Levers?

Sir Ridesalot

May 25, 2022, 9:45:31 AM5/25/22
Does anyone here know if Shimano made the N600 (New 600) aero brake levers in bronze colour? Or were they just silver?

Cheers

Tom Kunich

May 25, 2022, 12:13:07 PM5/25/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 6:45:31 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Does anyone here know if Shimano made the N600 (New 600) aero brake levers in bronze colour? Or were they just silver?

By far the most common were that silver grey but I did see some polished aluminum

AMuzi

May 25, 2022, 12:51:00 PM5/25/22
On 5/25/2022 8:45 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Does anyone here know if Shimano made the N600 (New 600) aero brake levers in bronze colour? Or were they just silver?
>
> Cheers

NO.
https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=2BB32D07-CA88-45C1-BEE7-A0977D254B32

In my experience, many 'bronze' color components are
typically black or grey anodize after years of UV fade. The
6402 lever was painted not anodized so this is not that.

http://www.cadre.org/bike_stuff/Shimano/Catalogs/1993/600/CCI00004.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Sir Ridesalot

May 25, 2022, 3:07:53 PM5/25/22
On another forum a fellow posted a link to images of bronze colour N600 aero brake levers with white hoods. Unless those are not the N600 ones but a later version. No matter to me as I just want bronze colour aero brake levers to match my brake calipers and other components on that bike. It's a circa 1985 Miele Beta.

Now I'm wondering if the lever images posted are actually early Ultegra and not bronze colour.

Cheers

AMuzi

May 25, 2022, 4:28:03 PM5/25/22
On 5/25/2022 2:07 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 12:51:00 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 5/25/2022 8:45 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>>> Does anyone here know if Shimano made the N600 (New 600) aero brake levers in bronze colour? Or were they just silver?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> NO.
>> https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=2BB32D07-CA88-45C1-BEE7-A0977D254B32
>>
>> In my experience, many 'bronze' color components are
>> typically black or grey anodize after years of UV fade. The
>> 6402 lever was painted not anodized so this is not that.
>>
>> http://www.cadre.org/bike_stuff/Shimano/Catalogs/1993/600/CCI00004.jpg
>>

> On another forum a fellow posted a link to images of bronze colour N600 aero brake levers with white hoods. Unless those are not the N600 ones but a later version. No matter to me as I just want bronze colour aero brake levers to match my brake calipers and other components on that bike. It's a circa 1985 Miele Beta.
>
> Now I'm wondering if the lever images posted are actually early Ultegra and not bronze colour.
>
> Cheers

Did you mean perhaps 600AX levers BL-6300?

https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=2a52cf7d-d832-4679-b545-3475bb1e858b

Those are silver color (clear anodize)

Sir Ridesalot

May 25, 2022, 5:50:17 PM5/25/22
Nope. I meant the N600EX (New 600EX) aero brake levers in the bronze colour.

Cheers

AMuzi

May 25, 2022, 6:34:42 PM5/25/22
On 5/25/2022 4:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 4:28:03 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

>>> On another forum a fellow posted a link to images of bronze colour N600 aero brake levers with white hoods. Unless those are not the N600 ones but a later version. No matter to me as I just want bronze colour aero brake levers to match my brake calipers and other components on that bike. It's a circa 1985 Miele Beta.
>>>
>>> Now I'm wondering if the lever images posted are actually early Ultegra and not bronze colour.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> Did you mean perhaps 600AX levers BL-6300?
>>
>> https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=2a52cf7d-d832-4679-b545-3475bb1e858b
>>
>> Those are silver color (clear anodize)
>
> Nope. I meant the N600EX (New 600EX) aero brake levers in the bronze colour.

First aero lever in that series was BL-6402 which is also
the first year for Ultegra label. For 'New600EX' there
aren't aero levers.

Luns Tee

May 26, 2022, 5:03:56 PM5/26/22
My '87 Cannondale's BL-6209 brake levers would beg to differ.

>For 'New600EX' there aren't aero levers.

I think this is arguable, but technically true. As far as I recall, all 6207 parts were New 600 EX. 600EX SIS (no New in the name) came as 6208. Other non SIS related parts also got a cosmetic refresh as 6208, to some extent just certain silver components (such as axle spacers) being replaced with black versions. I don't think they kept the 'New' in the naming of these parts, nor for the 6209 brake levers, but these parts are arguably all the same 62xx family as N600EX was in.

-Luns

AMuzi

May 26, 2022, 6:34:15 PM5/26/22
Right I think we're on the same page = no bronze colored
aero levers.

Whether you consider 600AX (6209 levers) 'in the same
series' as New 600 (6207, 6208; no aero lever) or 6400 (6402
aero lever) is a matter of opinion I suppose.

Luns Tee

May 26, 2022, 8:00:38 PM5/26/22
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 3:34:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/26/2022 4:03 PM, Luns Tee wrote:

> > I think this is arguable, but technically true. As far as I recall, all 6207 parts were New 600 EX. 600EX SIS (no New in the name) came as 6208. Other non SIS related parts also got a cosmetic refresh as 6208, to some extent just certain silver components (such as axle spacers) being replaced with black versions. I don't think they kept the 'New' in the naming of these parts, nor for the 6209 brake levers, but these parts are arguably all the same 62xx family as N600EX was in.
> >
> > -Luns
> >
> Right I think we're on the same page = no bronze colored
> aero levers.

Yes, if there were bronze levers, I'm not aware of them.

> Whether you consider 600AX (6209 levers) 'in the same
> series' as New 600 (6207, 6208; no aero lever) or 6400 (6402
> aero lever) is a matter of opinion I suppose.

600AX levers were BL-6300. A different animal, and since you'd already mentioned them and excluded them from 'the same series', I'm excluding them too.

BL-6209 however, very much 600EX, and as close to New 600 as it gets.

6207: New 600EX https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/si/N-27/SI-N-27-000-00-ENG.pdf
6208: 600EX ('New' moniker dropped) https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/si/N-91/SI-N-91-000-00-ENG.pdf
6209: also 600EX, not AX https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/si/P-23A/SI-P-23A-000-00-ENG.pdf

-Luns

AMuzi

May 26, 2022, 10:33:35 PM5/26/22
You are right and I was wrong. Thank you.

I had completely forgotten that aero lever.

Luns Tee

May 27, 2022, 1:11:45 AM5/27/22
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 5:00:38 PM UTC-7, Luns Tee wrote:
> On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 3:34:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> > Right I think we're on the same page = no bronze colored
> > aero levers.
> Yes, if there were bronze levers, I'm not aware of them.

While I thought it to be the case, I was cautious to not explicity say bronze levers don't exist. I'm glad now I didn't

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 12:07:53 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On another forum a fellow posted a link to images of bronze colour N600 aero brake levers with white hoods. Unless those are not the N600 ones but a later version. No matter to me as I just want bronze colour aero brake levers to match my brake calipers and other components on that bike. It's a circa 1985 Miele Beta.
>
> Now I'm wondering if the lever images posted are actually early Ultegra and not bronze colour.

I believe this to be the other forum cited earlier:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/825144-shimano-600-bronze-finish.html

I'm convinced now these are indeed bronze-finish 600EX (after they stopped calling it New) and not just funny exposure settings for the photos or discolouring from age. I was very aware of bronze coloured Biopace chainrings, obvious in contrast against the silver finish of cranks they were mounted on. Photos in this thread show this bronze finish on the other parts ties into that colour scheme. The contrast of the aluminum bezel of the brake lever body against the colour of the levers themselves, as well as the contrast between FD cage and its outer parallelogram link match the contrast between chainrings and crank.

Very Pretty!

The levers in the photos are most certainly BL-6209 600EX and are not 600 Ultegra. The pivot is an allen-head nut/bolt, the large heads of which are visible on the sides. Later aero levers used a headless through pin that's retained by a grub screw in the lever body, an arrangement that carried into STI levers up to ST-6603. Also, the escutcheon of the BL-6209 is a feature of the brake lever body, with the opposing point of the body (where the cable would exit a non-aero lever) being a plastic insert. The BL-6400 (non-aero) and later aero levers reversed this arrangement, with the point being part of the aluminum body, and the escutcheon being a plastic insert (called the bracket cap) that's held captive by the brake hood.

-Luns

Luns Tee

May 27, 2022, 1:59:03 AM5/27/22
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 10:11:45 PM UTC-7, Luns Tee wrote:

> I'm convinced now these are indeed bronze-finish 600EX (after they stopped calling it New) and not just funny exposure settings for the photos or discolouring from age. I was very aware of bronze coloured Biopace chainrings, obvious in contrast against the silver finish of cranks they were mounted on. Photos in this thread show this bronze finish on the other parts ties into that colour scheme. The contrast of the aluminum bezel of the brake lever body against the colour of the levers themselves, as well as the contrast between FD cage and its outer parallelogram link match the contrast between chainrings and crank.

For the record, Shimano called the colour of the Biopace chainrings, Gun-Metallic Gray.
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/shimano_bicycle_system_components_december_1986_scan_12.html

The brake lever under discussion, finish aside, was new in 1986.
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/shimano_bicycle_system_components_august_1986_scan_13.html

600 Ultegra was introduced the next year. I don't imagine Shimano continued producing the BL-6209 after introducing BL-6401/6402, making this a one-year only part.

That being said, this appears to be the levers being sought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194819123299

-Luns

AMuzi

May 27, 2022, 9:13:42 AM5/27/22
Now I'm uncertain.
For 1986 it's silver anodize:
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/shimano_bicycle_system_components_august_1986_scan_13.html

For 1987 it's paint finish:
https://disraeligears.co.uk/site/shimano_bicycle_system_components_december_1987_-_scan_19.html

There was a brief fashion moment for 'Black+ Gold' motif
with plated or anodized components by bike manufacturers and
artisan builders then including Cannondale, Rossin, Colnago,
3 Rensho:

https://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Colnago-C35-Campagnolo-Super-Super-Record-Gold.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/21/c6/a321c6c404648e06b350298e3bfc08cf.jpg

IIRC the Centurion parts were 'grey' but I'm not sure.

Tom Kunich

May 27, 2022, 10:34:18 AM5/27/22
:ums, with cables sticking out of the top of the lever and looping over the top in the wind the 6402 could hardly be called "aero". Not, mind you, that it makes any difference unless you AVERAGE over 20 mph.

Tom Kunich

May 27, 2022, 10:39:19 AM5/27/22
I suppose color is in the eye of the beholder - to me that is the normal grey metalic paint that they put on those levers.

Luns Tee

May 27, 2022, 1:26:15 PM5/27/22
On Friday, May 27, 2022 at 6:13:42 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> Now I'm uncertain.
> For 1986 it's silver anodize:
> https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/shimano_bicycle_system_components_august_1986_scan_13.html
>
> For 1987 it's paint finish:
> https://disraeligears.co.uk/site/shimano_bicycle_system_components_december_1987_-_scan_19.html

Not sure what you're uncertain of - this is completely consistent with what you said before I brought BL6209 into the picture. 1986 shows the 600EX levers, which were silver finish (special bronze finish presumably being an off-catalog OEM order). 1987 is 600 Ultegra which was always painted finish.

> There was a brief fashion moment for 'Black+ Gold' motif
> with plated or anodized components by bike manufacturers and
> artisan builders then including Cannondale, Rossin, Colnago,
> 3 Rensho:
>
> https://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Colnago-C35-Campagnolo-Super-Super-Record-Gold.jpg
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/21/c6/a321c6c404648e06b350298e3bfc08cf.jpg

I remember a full set of Gold finished Campy components in the display case of a Toronto bike shop back in the early 90's. I could never imagine putting them on a bike at the time

> IIRC the Centurion parts were 'grey' but I'm not sure.

No mention of the parts colour by name, but the photos show the darker finish. The rear caliper in particular does look like what I would call bronze.

http://vintage-centurion.com/literature/catalogs/1987_Centurion_Catalog.pdf

-Luns

Luns Tee

May 27, 2022, 1:28:50 PM5/27/22
On Friday, May 27, 2022 at 7:34:18 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 3:34:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> > > First aero lever in that series was BL-6402 which is also
> > > the first year for Ultegra label.

> :ums, with cables sticking out of the top of the lever and looping over the top in the wind the 6402 could hardly be called "aero". Not, mind you, that it makes any difference unless you AVERAGE over 20 mph.

Ums, where have you seen a 6402 with cables stick out of the top of the lever? 6401 and 6402 were 600 Ultegra aero levers, in long and short body respectively. Cables out the top were 6400.

-Luns

Luns Tee

May 27, 2022, 1:34:13 PM5/27/22
Grey metallic paint was normal for 600 Ultegra. The paint was not as reflective as the anodized finish used for 600EX.

Luns Tee

May 27, 2022, 1:38:00 PM5/27/22
I should have read the catalog to the end. While there was no mention of colour on page 6 aside from the photo, the chart on the final page does refer to it by name, and calls it Gunmetal grey.

-Luns