Incontrovertible Proof that Helmets Save Lives

jbeattie

Jul 20, 2021, 2:31:54 PM7/20/21

Ralph Barone

Jul 20, 2021, 3:16:54 PM7/20/21
Do you think we could find another NBA legend to recreate the crash, but
without the helmet, as a control group?

Frank Krygowski

Jul 20, 2021, 4:24:39 PM7/20/21
On 7/20/2021 2:31 PM, jbeattie wrote:
> https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-legend-ray-allen-scary-bike-crash
>
> There you have it, Frank.

Well, that settles it. No need for any science.

--
- Frank Krygowski

sms

Jul 20, 2021, 7:27:27 PM7/20/21
That proof existed long before this event, but facts have never mattered
to Frank. His helmet schtick has been going on for decades.

sms

Jul 20, 2021, 7:28:16 PM7/20/21
Even that would not be sufficient for Frank. It has to be a double-blind
study.

jbeattie

Jul 20, 2021, 7:34:45 PM7/20/21
I once rode my bike with my eyes closed -- when I was 6 years old on a Schwinn beach cruiser. I ran into a parked car, and the front end of the bike fell off -- the welds gave up. I had to walk home to the end of the block. I recommend against blind studies on bicycles. BTW, speaking of blind, this guy should have been looking down the road rather than being anguished about following cars. He should have been in POSITION ONE CONTROLLING TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait until the Psychocraft people get ahold of this.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ralph Barone

Jul 20, 2021, 8:36:01 PM7/20/21
I don’t know how many blind NBA legends we could find. The results may lack
statistical significance.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 20, 2021, 8:55:38 PM7/20/21
You're right, of course. I'm glad to see you're catching on.

My wife and I got the same sort of treatment the other day, when we met
a woman who lives on a road we frequently ride. We told her she could
probably see us riding past some day.

"Oh, I hope you wear your helmets!"

Nothing about "Oh, I hope you ride on the proper side of the road" or
"Oh, I hope you use lights at night." Just as nobody told this
basketball dude "I hope you watch where you're going."

BTW, last time I dug through the data, basketball had about 23,000 ER-
presented injuries per year per million participants. Bicycling had
about one third as many. And if that dude wore a helmet in games, it
would probably "save his life" by getting dented every evening.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

Jul 21, 2021, 1:33:59 AM7/21/21
Sigh... If only you had been wearing a helmet...
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 21, 2021, 10:46:47 AM7/21/21
If he had been wearing one, many people would claim it obviously saved
his life.

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Jul 21, 2021, 10:54:26 AM7/21/21
Anecdotes are merely anecdotal.

Australian triathlete Alexa Leary is not expected to live
despite her helmet. Sad but true.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9808331/Boyfriend-athlete-Alexa-Leary-posts-emotional-tribute-girlfriend-fights-life.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

sms

Jul 21, 2021, 11:37:43 AM7/21/21
Even if you found 30,000 samples, it would not be enough.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 21, 2021, 12:03:59 PM7/21/21
Nationwide, bike concussions rose over 60% during the time helmet use
soared. Bike fatalities didn't drop as much as pedestrian fatalities.
(Both drops were likely caused by better medical technology and treatment.)

The anecdotes are plentiful, but the confirming data is absent, just as
with other fashionable or magical products.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Jul 21, 2021, 12:46:06 PM7/21/21
Frank, when you don't understand statistical analysis please don't act as if you did. Bicycling is FASTER than walking. That means that with any increase in walking and cycling, the head injuries from cycling will ALWAYS increase faster than those of pedestrians. Not to mention that cycling increased dramatically more rapidly than walking meaning that more beginners were cycling. Inexperience leads to more accidents.

I was paid a LOT of money because things like this are not just obvious to me but stick out like neon lights.

Bertrand

Jul 21, 2021, 1:53:26 PM7/21/21
> Nationwide, bike concussions rose over 60% during the time helmet use soared.

No, REPORTED concussions rose. As we've discussed here before, changes in the
way concussions are diagnosed have led to huge increases in reported
concussions for some activities. For example, 1990 to 2014, the annual rate of
soccer-related concussions per 10,000 children increased by 1,596%. So without
more detailed analysis, the rate of reported bike concussions tells us nothing
useful about helmet effectiveness.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 21, 2021, 6:01:36 PM7/21/21
I understand your point: "Safety inflation" has caused medicos to search
harder for even small evidence of concussion.

I prefer comparing cycling to activities that are similar. To me, the
obvious candidates are pedestrian travel and motoring travel. Activities
like soccer and American football are not similar, since those
competitive activities have head impacts as a regular feature. Despite
all the hype about bike TBI, head impacts are certainly not a regular
feature of ordinary bicycling, nor pedestrian travel, nor motoring.

So: Was there a 60% rise in reported pedestrian concussions? How about
reported motorist concussions? I'll be interested if you have evidence
those did rise.

There's more to discuss regarding this line of thought, but I'll stop
for now.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

Jul 21, 2021, 6:04:23 PM7/21/21
No, that does not follow. You're not making sense.

> Not to mention that cycling increased dramatically more rapidly than walking meaning that more beginners were cycling. Inexperience leads to more accidents.

Sorry, Tom. The period covered by that statement was many years
pre-COVID. There was no dramatic increase in bicycling during that time.
Do you really need the data?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

Jul 23, 2021, 8:31:50 PM7/23/21
Did you leave off the links, Franki-boy, because they don't say what you claim? Are you lying again?