New tourer

Doug Landau

Mar 23, 2017, 12:25:41 PM3/23/17
Trying to picture touring in this thing

https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/6044571447.html

Joerg

Mar 23, 2017, 12:28:59 PM3/23/17
On 2017-03-23 09:25, Doug Landau wrote:
> Trying to picture touring in this thing
>
> https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/6044571447.html

Downhill, with a heavy load, and then the chain comes off ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Doug Landau

Mar 23, 2017, 12:34:20 PM3/23/17
Maybe over 30 the umbrella kicks in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23BEGkHdQ_U

Frank Krygowski

Mar 23, 2017, 12:38:28 PM3/23/17
On 3/23/2017 12:25 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
> Trying to picture touring in this thing
>
> https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/6044571447.html

Three or four years ago, I came across a guy in Moab, Utah using one of
those to ferry two (maybe three?) young kids to a birthday party. He'd
fitted it out with cushions and a sun shade. The kids seemed to be
having a great time. But yes, the neighborhood was dead flat, and I'm
sure he wasn't going far.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 23, 2017, 12:39:30 PM3/23/17
I like the built in parachute, which should be handy if one drives off
a cliff.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Duane

Mar 23, 2017, 12:42:08 PM3/23/17
On 23/03/2017 12:25 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
> Trying to picture touring in this thing
>
> https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/6044571447.html

Looks like the Lucky Dog guy's cart in the French Quarter.

Doug Landau

Mar 23, 2017, 12:43:57 PM3/23/17
There's room up front for a motor. And a dorm fridge.

Joerg

Mar 23, 2017, 12:58:08 PM3/23/17
Has been scientifically tested :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PcuY8td_Vw

Though oversized drogue chutes have been used on bikes to reduce the
chance of a brake overheat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLtiyC6qMQ

Frank Krygowski

Mar 23, 2017, 2:38:25 PM3/23/17
Interesting!

And of course, it makes you more conspicuous, so you're safer.
Everybody should have one. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joerg

Mar 23, 2017, 3:52:17 PM3/23/17
On 2017-03-23 11:38, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 3/23/2017 12:58 PM, Joerg wrote:

>>> Maybe over 30 the umbrella kicks in
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23BEGkHdQ_U
>>>

>> Has been scientifically tested :-)
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PcuY8td_Vw
>>
>> Though oversized drogue chutes have been used on bikes to reduce the
>> chance of a brake overheat:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLtiyC6qMQ
>
> Interesting!

Considering all the stories I heard about brake fatigue issues from
tandem riders on heavily loaded bikes it might really be practical.

> And of course, it makes you more conspicuous, so you're safer. Everybody
> should have one. ;-)

Just imagine the reaction of car drivers when suddenly ... PHOOOF ..
*THWOCK* ... out comes a brake parachute. Probably not a good idea to
pop that when a car is too close.

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 23, 2017, 8:10:19 PM3/23/17
On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
> Trying to picture touring in this thing
>
> https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/6044571447.html

Well this guy was 57 wehn he roade this trike from China to London England over a course of two years.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-eh-game/chinese-farmer-makes-two-plus-journey-london-olympics-195553331.html

Cheers

Doug Landau

Mar 23, 2017, 9:24:08 PM3/23/17
On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 9:28:59 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
> On 2017-03-23 09:25, Doug Landau wrote:
> > Trying to picture touring in this thing
> >
> > https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/6044571447.html
> >

> Downhill, with a heavy load, and then the chain comes off ...

Meh. It happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpAWpgZV-K0

"Well, actually, there's not much to see. We're inside a Chinese Dragon."

Joerg

Mar 24, 2017, 11:10:21 AM3/24/17
I was there on Wednesday. Glad I wasn't on a bicycle. Not because of the
hills but the traffic is crazy.