Re: Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Nov 30, 2010, 11:01:01 PM11/30/10
On 11/30/2010 8:40 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 6:02 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 6:13 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° _ twsh...@southslope.net _>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It's a wonder my pal Frank Krygowski uses his real>name on his posts,
>>> when he falsifies quotes.
>>
>> But you stand by his every word. Birds of a feather.
>
> At least Frank doesn't wake up every morning and forge a new e-mail
> address in order to get around everyone's filters.

Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address. Forging
an email address would be using someone else's email address.
Nym-shifting is not forgery.

Furthermore, if Scarf kill-files people, he should keep it to himself.
If you kill-file someone, pretend that they do not exist, instead of
cowardly commenting and sniping second hand. Hell, even Ed Dolan knows
as much.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Nov 30, 2010, 11:03:37 PM11/30/10
I should add that my correct, working email address is in the header of
every post I make.

DirtRoadie

Dec 1, 2010, 12:29:46 AM12/1/10
On Nov 30, 9:01 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 8:40 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
> > On 11/30/2010 6:02 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:

> >> But you stand by his every word. Birds of a feather.
>
> > At least Frank doesn't wake up every morning and forge a new e-mail
> > address in order to get around everyone's filters.
>
> Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address.

OK, call it "hiding." Still blatantly dishonest though probably not
illegal. Could be though, coupled with the abusive stalking behavior.
Especially when the stalking contains no discussion whatsoever. But
you are undoubtedly a legal expert and will have no difficulty
handling the matter.

DR

DirtRoadie

Dec 1, 2010, 12:47:33 AM12/1/10
On Nov 30, 9:03 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net"> wrote:

> On 11/30/2010 10:01 PM, T m Sherm n _ > wrote:

> >> At least Frank doesn't wake up every morning and forge a new e-mail
> >> address in order to get around everyone's filters.
>
> > Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address. Forging an
> > email address would be using someone else's email address. Nym-shifting
> > is not forgery.
>
> > Furthermore, if Scarf kill-files people, he should keep it to himself.
> > If you kill-file someone, pretend that they do not exist, instead of
> > cowardly commenting and sniping second hand. Hell, even Ed Dolan knows
> > as much.
>
> I should add that my correct, working email address is in the header of
> every post I make.

Please post your home town.
There is nothing remotely distinctive about the name Tom Sherman. You
might just as well be "John Smith." And you know how despicable you
find anonymity to be. Set an example.
DR

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 1, 2010, 12:53:52 AM12/1/10
This from someone who threatened to call up another person's co-workers.
Sheesh.

As for legal issues, falsifying quotes could be considered libel, no?

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 1, 2010, 12:57:14 AM12/1/10
On 11/30/2010 11:47 PM, DirtRoadie wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:03 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
> $southslope.net"> wrote:

>>> Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address. Forging an
>>> email address would be using someone else's email address. Nym-shifting
>>> is not forgery.
>>
>>> Furthermore, if Scarf kill-files people, he should keep it to himself.
>>> If you kill-file someone, pretend that they do not exist, instead of
>>> cowardly commenting and sniping second hand. Hell, even Ed Dolan knows
>>> as much.
>>
>> I should add that my correct, working email address is in the header of
>> every post I make.
>
> Please post your home town.

Too lazy to find out yourself?

> There is nothing remotely distinctive about the name Tom Sherman. You
> might just as well be "John Smith." And you know how despicable you
> find anonymity to be. Set an example.
> DR

At least one RBT regular can confirm I am a real person with a real
email address:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3601423733/in/set-72157619269876565/>.

DirtRoadie

Dec 1, 2010, 1:07:16 AM12/1/10
On Nov 30, 10:53 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 11:29 PM, Dirt[bag]Roadie wrote:
>

> > On Nov 30, 9:01 pm, T m Sherm n _ <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

> > $southslope.net">  wrote:

> >> Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address.
>
> > OK, call it "hiding." Still blatantly dishonest though probably not
> > illegal. Could be though, coupled with the abusive stalking behavior.
> > Especially when the stalking contains no discussion whatsoever. But
> > you are undoubtedly a legal expert and will have no difficulty
> > handling the matter.
>
> This from someone who threatened to call up another person's co-workers.
> Sheesh.
>
> As for legal issues, falsifying quotes could be considered libel, no?

That's funny!
DR

DirtRoadie

Dec 1, 2010, 1:12:08 AM12/1/10
On Nov 30, 10:57 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 11:47 PM, DirtRoadie wrote:
>

> > On Nov 30, 9:03 pm, T m Sherm n _ <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3601423733/in/set-721576192...>.

A real email address? Is that the standard? Why have you wasted so
much of your time then bitching about me?
BTW, To me ALL RBT denizens are simply names (of one sort or another)
on posts. That you would attempt to get one to vouch for you
demonstrates your lack of sincerity.
DR

Edward Dolan

Dec 1, 2010, 2:00:19 AM12/1/10
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:id4h9u$8t7$1...@news.eternal-september.org...
[...]

> Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address. Forging an
> email address would be using someone else's email address. Nym-shifting is
> not forgery.
>
> Furthermore, if Scarf kill-files people, he should keep it to himself. If
> you kill-file someone, pretend that they do not exist, instead of cowardly
> commenting and sniping second hand. Hell, even Ed Dolan knows as much.

I don't much like those who use user names as opposed to using their real
names. After all, Usenet should be a respectable forum for one and all. I am
absolute death on anyone who forges an email address. That is what Ed Gin
and Associates were doing several years ago on ARBR and it pretty much
destroyed the group.

Thos who kill-file should shut up about it. And once they have kill-filed
someone, they are no long permitted to comment on that person or his posts.
That is the price you pay when you kill-file.

Neither Mr. Sherman nor I have ever kill-filed anyone. Why the hell should
we. We respect ourselves and others. And we do not hide behind user names.
That is ever the coward's way.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan

Dec 1, 2010, 2:29:10 AM12/1/10
"DirtRoadie" <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote in message
[...]

> A real email address? Is that the standard? Why have you wasted so
much of your time then bitching about me?
BTW, To me ALL RBT denizens are simply names (of one sort or another)
on posts. That you would attempt to get one to vouch for you
demonstrates your lack of sincerity.
DR

The problem that we have with you is mainly your nastiness which cries out
for a real name. Tom Sherman is seldom nasty whereas I am nasty most of the
time. Nice persons can use user names, but nasty persons, like you and me,
should use our real names. That serves as a check on our nastiness.
Otherwise, there is the danger that we may libel someone if we give
ourselves free reign with a user name.

Edward Dolan

Dec 1, 2010, 2:44:55 AM12/1/10
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:id4nti$3d3$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 11/30/2010 11:29 PM, Dirt[bag]Roadie wrote:
[...]

>> OK, call it "hiding." Still blatantly dishonest though probably not
>> illegal. Could be though, coupled with the abusive stalking behavior.
>> Especially when the stalking contains no discussion whatsoever. But
>> you are undoubtedly a legal expert and will have no difficulty
>> handling the matter.

Hells Bells, I haven't discussed anything substantive on these cycling
newsgroups in over 5 years. I have been too busy kicking sorry ass. As soon
as I get rid of one idiot, another one shows up to take his place.

> This from someone who threatened to call up another person's co-workers.
> Sheesh.

What happens on Usenet stays on Usenet. Jeez, I thought everyone knew that.

> As for legal issues, falsifying quotes could be considered libel, no?

Jim McNamara is the expert on supplying the cycling newsgroups with
quotations from Ed Dolan the Great. He does not realize how I relish seeing
my own words from many years ago repeated for all the world to read. I will
designate him my official biographer one of these days.

Duane Hébert

Dec 1, 2010, 9:08:45 AM12/1/10

You do realize that some newsreaders will allow you to be kill filed
as they either understand utf8 or use your header instead.
I tested and was able to do so. However, I prefer the humor.

AMuzi

Dec 1, 2010, 2:53:52 PM12/1/10

Tom posts his coordinates regularly:
http://www.hell2u.com/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 1, 2010, 7:34:24 PM12/1/10

I really do not care, except when people boast about kill-filing me,
then I might as well nym-shift to make them re-do their filters. :)

If you kill-file a person, you have forfeited your privilege to comment
on them.

Duane Hebert

Dec 1, 2010, 7:55:30 PM12/1/10

"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:id6pig$alb$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

Oddly enough I agree with that.

Edward Dolan

Dec 1, 2010, 11:23:51 PM12/1/10
"Duane Hebert" <sp...@flarn2.com> wrote in message

> "Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
> message news:id6pig$alb$1...@news.eternal-september.org...
[...]

>> If you kill-file a person, you have forfeited your privilege to comment
>> on them.
>
> Oddly enough I agree with that.

There is nothing odd about it. It is simply fair play. I once had an asshole
by the name of Cletus Lee from Texas on ARBR who had kill-filed me but
continued to wage war on me. All he was ever reading was what others had
included of my message in their posts. Is that fair?

If you are going to comment on a person, then you have to read all of his
posts in full, at least in that particular thread. Not to do so marks you as
a scoundrel and a cad.

Duane Hébert

Dec 2, 2010, 9:32:14 AM12/2/10
On 12/1/2010 11:23 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Duane Hebert"<sp...@flarn2.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tºm Shermªn™ °_°"<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
>> message news:id6pig$alb$1...@news.eternal-september.org...
> [...]
>>> If you kill-file a person, you have forfeited your privilege to comment
>>> on them.
>>
>> Oddly enough I agree with that.
>
> There is nothing odd about it. It is simply fair play. I once had an asshole

What's odd, is that I agree with Tom.

Message has been deleted

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 6, 2010, 4:34:55 AM12/6/10
On 12/6/2010 3:18 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
> Tom Sherman writes:
>> ... when people boast about kill-filing me, then I might

>> as well nym-shift to make them re-do their filters. :)
>
> =x= Moronic to do, simply pathetic to brag about it.
> <_Jym_>

As pathetic as Jym Dyer's little trick of setting followup-to:
"alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek"?

I am sorry that Jym Dyer fails to see the inherent moral imperative not
to comment on others posts if one has them kill-filed.

Edward Dolan

Dec 6, 2010, 6:25:24 AM12/6/10
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:idiao0$i6o$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 12/6/2010 3:18 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
>> Tom Sherman writes:
>>> ... when people boast about kill-filing me, then I might
>>> as well nym-shift to make them re-do their filters. :)
>>
>> =x= Moronic to do, simply pathetic to brag about it.
>> <_Jym_>
>
> As pathetic as Jym Dyer's little trick of setting followup-to:
> "alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek"?
>
> I am sorry that Jym Dyer fails to see the inherent moral imperative not to
> comment on others posts if one has them kill-filed.

And pray tell, why does this jerk spell his name with y's in it?

Duane Hébert

Dec 6, 2010, 11:08:45 AM12/6/10
On 12/6/2010 4:34 AM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 3:18 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
>> Tom Sherman writes:
>>> ... when people boast about kill-filing me, then I might
>>> as well nym-shift to make them re-do their filters. :)
>>
>> =x= Moronic to do, simply pathetic to brag about it.
>> <_Jym_>
>
> As pathetic as Jym Dyer's little trick of setting followup-to:
> "alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek"?
>
> I am sorry that Jym Dyer fails to see the inherent moral imperative not
> to comment on others posts if one has them kill-filed.

At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader. It has problems
replying to your posts because it can't parse your header. I don't
seem to have this problem with Fire Fox at the office.

So it seems that though you may be preventing people that want to
kill file you from doing so, you may also be preventing people from
replying to you that wish to do so. Maybe not the best plan.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 6, 2010, 9:21:50 PM12/6/10
On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

> At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]

Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?

Edward Dolan

Dec 6, 2010, 11:26:12 PM12/6/10
"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
> >
>> At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]
>
> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?

Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without the
extra expense of a newsreader.

Tad McClellan

Dec 7, 2010, 12:08:22 AM12/7/10
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]

Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...
>> On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
>> >
>>> At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]
>>
>> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
>
> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without the
> extra expense of a newsreader.

There are over a dozen free newsreaders available to Bill's minions,
so the "extra expense" is zero.

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"

Edward Dolan

Dec 7, 2010, 12:38:21 AM12/7/10
I just realized I will not see a response to this post unless I make sure it
comes to RBS. I do not monitor RBT.

Ed Dolan

"Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message

> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>> "Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
>> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

>>> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
>>
>> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without
>> the
>> extra expense of a newsreader.
>

> There are over a dozen free newsreaders available to Bill's minions,
> so the "extra expense" is zero.

I think a lot of folks have ISPs which do not provide free newsreaders. I
used to use Outlook Express and now I use Windows Mail. It is convenient to
use them and they work well enough as far as I can tell. I am pretty sure
Mr. Sherman is paying for his newsreader.

What is a good free newsreader just in case I need one someday?

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 7, 2010, 8:16:57 AM12/7/10
On 12/6/2010 10:26 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "T�m Sherm�nT �_�"<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

>> On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane H�bert wrote:
>>>
>>> At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]
>>
>> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
>
> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without the
> extra expense of a newsreader.

I paid $0.00 for Mozilla Thunderbird.
<http://www.mozilla.org/>

Duane Hébert

Dec 7, 2010, 9:22:21 AM12/7/10
On 12/6/2010 9:21 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
> >
>> At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]
>
> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?

Huh?

Duane Hébert

Dec 7, 2010, 9:24:27 AM12/7/10

Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird are free. There are many others.
But you're using WLM. ??

Duane Hébert

Dec 7, 2010, 9:26:40 AM12/7/10
On 12/7/2010 8:16 AM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 10:26 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "T�m Sherm�nT �_�"<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
>> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

>>> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
>>
>> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection
>> without the
>> extra expense of a newsreader.
>>

> I paid $0.00 for Mozilla Thunderbird.
> <http://www.mozilla.org/>

I didn't pay of OE. What difference does it make
anyway? The point was that you are preventing people
from replying to you with the same method that you're
trying to prevent them from kill filing you.
Just saying.

Ralph Barone

Dec 7, 2010, 9:31:22 AM12/7/10
In article <idlc49$jfm$3...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote:

> On 12/6/2010 10:26 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

> > "T?m Sherm?nT ?_?"<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
> > message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

> >> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
> >
> > Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without the
> > extra expense of a newsreader.
> >

> I paid $0.00 for Mozilla Thunderbird.
> <http://www.mozilla.org/>

You can get it for half of that if you shop around...

Tad McClellan

Dec 7, 2010, 9:49:40 AM12/7/10
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> I just realized I will not see a response to this post unless I make sure it
> comes to RBS. I do not monitor RBT.

It has become obvious to me that you are not a "technology person".

> "Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>>> "Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
>>> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

>>> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without
>>> the
>>> extra expense of a newsreader.
>>

>> There are over a dozen free newsreaders available to Bill's minions,
>> so the "extra expense" is zero.
>
> I think a lot of folks have ISPs which do not provide free newsreaders.

ISPs *never* provide newsreaders, neither pay-for nor free!

Usenet is a "client-server architecture":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server_model

Newsreaders are clients, they run on your local computer.

News *feeds* are servers, they run on your ISP's computers.

> used to use Outlook Express and now I use Windows Mail.

Your ISP provided those?

I don't think so.

> It is convenient to
> use them and they work well enough as far as I can tell.

A purpose-built tool is always better than a jack-of-all-trades tool.

> I am pretty sure
> Mr. Sherman is paying for his newsreader.

You are wrong.

It is easy enough to determine that youself by examining the
headers of his posts.

He uses Thunderbird. Thunderbird is free software.

> What is a good free newsreader just in case I need one someday?

I never use Windows, so I don't know, but it is easy to find out:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+windows+newsreaders

Edward Dolan

Dec 7, 2010, 2:55:46 PM12/7/10

> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>> I just realized I will not see a response to this post unless I make sure
>> it
>> comes to RBS. I do not monitor RBT.
>
> It has become obvious to me that you are not a "technology person".

I can't figure out why I am getting this message since I am only monitoring
RBS and you only posted to RBT? What a mystery!

Do any of us amount to much in the way of technology? I am reminded of the
line from "The Caine Mutiny" about how naval ships are designed by geniuses
to be run by idiots. I think most of us are idiots when it comes to anything
technical if you want to be brutally honest about it. Of course Tom Sherman
is the exception. He knows technology, but not much else.
[...]

>> I think a lot of folks have ISPs which do not provide free newsreaders.
>

> ISPs *never* provide newsreaders, neither pay-for nor free!
>
> Usenet is a "client-server architecture":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server_model
>
> Newsreaders are clients, they run on your local computer.
>
> News *feeds* are servers, they run on your ISP's computers.

Yes, apparently that is what I am getting from my ISP. My Windows Mail uses
this news "feed" then? What a genius Bill Gates was to figure all of this
out since Windows Mail is also used for every day email!

>> used to use Outlook Express and now I use Windows Mail.
>

> Your ISP provided those?
>
> I don't think so.

No, Windows Vista OS provides Windows Mail. What a genius Bill Gates was to
figure all of this out!

>> It is convenient to
>> use them and they work well enough as far as I can tell.
>
> A purpose-built tool is always better than a jack-of-all-trades tool.

I wonder if that is always true? Many times a simple tool is better than a
more complex tool because it is easier to understand and use.

>> I am pretty sure
>> Mr. Sherman is paying for his newsreader.
>

> You are wrong.
>
> It is easy enough to determine that youself by examining the
> headers of his posts.
>
> He uses Thunderbird. Thunderbird is free software.

Does not Mr. Sherman's ISP give him a news feed? If so, why not use Windows
Mail? I do not see the point of using a web based newsreader if your OS is
already giving you one.

>> What is a good free newsreader just in case I need one someday?
>

> I never use Windows, so I don't know, but it is easy to find out:
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+windows+newsreaders

Thanks, I will have a look at that link one of these days if I ever feel
Windows Mail is not up to the job.

Tad McClellan

Dec 7, 2010, 3:28:49 PM12/7/10
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>>> I just realized I will not see a response to this post unless I make sure
>>> it
>>> comes to RBS. I do not monitor RBT.
>>
>> It has become obvious to me that you are not a "technology person".
>
> I can't figure out why I am getting this message since I am only monitoring
> RBS and you only posted to RBT? What a mystery!

I did not post only to RBT.

What makes you think that I did?

Do you even know how to examine the headers of a Usenet post?

My followup to you has this as one of the header lines:

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc

So it was posted to both newsgroups.

>> News *feeds* are servers, they run on your ISP's computers.
>
> Yes, apparently that is what I am getting from my ISP. My Windows Mail uses
> this news "feed" then?

All of Usenet uses the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP).

(the "P" at the end of nearly every computer acronym that ends in
a "P" stands for "Protocol", as in the HyperText Transfer Protocol
(HTTP) and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) which run the
WWW and email, respectively.
)

> What a genius Bill Gates was to figure all of this
> out

Oh cut it out.

rec.humor.funny is over that way ===>

> since Windows Mail is also used for every day email!

All it takes is understanding the relevant specs.

There is no genius there.

>> A purpose-built tool is always better than a jack-of-all-trades tool.
>
> I wonder if that is always true? Many times a simple tool is better than a
> more complex tool because it is easier to understand and use.

Good, so we are in agreement there at least.

> Does not Mr. Sherman's ISP give him a news feed?

I dunno, but he is surely connecting to an NNTP server somewhere.

> If so, why not use Windows
> Mail?

Because it sucks (I'm guessing).

It is a jack-of-all-trades tool.

> I do not see the point of using a web based newsreader if your OS is
> already giving you one.

Who suggested using a web based newsreader?

Neither I nor Tom Sherman did that I can see...

Edward Dolan

Dec 7, 2010, 4:18:40 PM12/7/10

> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>> "Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message
>>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>>>
>>> It has become obvious to me that you are not a "technology person".
>>
>> I can't figure out why I am getting this message since I am only
>> monitoring
>> RBS and you only posted to RBT? What a mystery!
>

> I did not post only to RBT.
>
> What makes you think that I did?
>
> Do you even know how to examine the headers of a Usenet post?
>
> My followup to you has this as one of the header lines:
>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
>
> So it was posted to both newsgroups.

I finally figured out what is going on. When I hit Reply Group, your message
comes up and it is at that point that I only see rec.bicycles.tech. It has
happened again with this message, so I will have to add rec.bicycles.soc.
This has never happened before with any other message. Is this some
peculiarity of your newsreader I wonder? What is this item which follows
your address above: ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
[...]

>> I do not see the point of using a web based newsreader if your OS is
>> already giving you one.
>

> Who suggested using a web based newsreader?
>
> Neither I nor Tom Sherman did that I can see...

"He uses Thunderbird. Thunderbird is free software." - Tad McClellan

"I paid $0.00 for Mozilla Thunderbird.

<http://www.mozilla.org/> " - Tom Sherman

Mr. Sherman is using a newsreader from Mozilla. That is a website, is it
not? Or is Thunderbird located on the OS as a result of having been
downloaded without having first to go to the website each and every time in
order to use it? If that is the case, I still wonder what the advantages are
compared to Windows Mail?

Tad McClellan

Dec 7, 2010, 4:58:04 PM12/7/10

I saw this message in r.b.t.

I do not subscribe to r.b.s.

I will not see any followups unless they are sent to r.b.t.

So I set the Followup-To header to r.b.t to ensure that I see
any followups that are made to my posts.

> This has never happened before with any other message.

Then nobody else has ever set a Followup-To header in reply to
one of your posts.

> Is this some
> peculiarity of your newsreader I wonder?

No.

> What is this item which follows
> your address above: ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> [...]

That lets everybody know that followups will go to only r.b.t.

>>> I do not see the point of using a web based newsreader if your OS is
>>> already giving you one.
>>

>> Who suggested using a web based newsreader?
>>
>> Neither I nor Tom Sherman did that I can see...
>
> "He uses Thunderbird. Thunderbird is free software." - Tad McClellan

Thunderbird is not a web based newsreader!

(google groups is an example of a web based newsreader)

> "I paid $0.00 for Mozilla Thunderbird.
><http://www.mozilla.org/> " - Tom Sherman
>
> Mr. Sherman is using a newsreader from Mozilla.

That is where Thunderbird can be downloaded.

> That is a website, is it
> not?

It is a website that allows programs to be downloaded for installation.

> Or is Thunderbird located on the OS

After you download it, you install it.

> as a result of having been
> downloaded without having first to go to the website each and every time in
> order to use it?

Of course not, that would be silly.

> If that is the case,

That is not the case.

You download it once.

You install it once.

You use it millions of times without ever needing to go to
http://www.mozilla.org/ ever again.

> I still wonder what the advantages are
> compared to Windows Mail?

I do not know what features Windows Mail nor Thundebird have, so
I cannot comment on that.

But in general, a purpose-built tool (Thunderbird) is better than
a jack-of-all-trades tool (Windows Mail).

Edward Dolan

Dec 7, 2010, 7:14:15 PM12/7/10

> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

>> I finally figured out what is going on. When I hit Reply Group, your
>> message
>> comes up and it is at that point that I only see rec.bicycles.tech.
>

> I saw this message in r.b.t.
>
> I do not subscribe to r.b.s.

But others who were contributing to this thread do belong to RBS, not just
RBT.

> I will not see any followups unless they are sent to r.b.t.

But if I send my response according to your rule, only RBT will see it. You
are creating difficulties for others.

> So I set the Followup-To header to r.b.t to ensure that I see
> any followups that are made to my posts.

Yes, but that creates a complication for others since they will prefer that
all the groups see the message, not just RBT. It is no fun to play around
with headings for newsgroups.

>> This has never happened before with any other message.
>

> Then nobody else has ever set a Followup-To header in reply to
> one of your posts.

Nope, I have never seen it before to one of my posts nor to anyone else's
posts. It seems you do not like a post you are contributing to to go to any
group but RBT. Why not leave the newsgroup headings alone. If someone does
not want a message to go to RBT, then he can delete that newsgroup.

>> What is this item which follows
>> your address above: ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>> [...]
>

> That lets everybody know that followups will go to only r.b.t.

But I don't want my reply going to only RBT. You are forcing me to play
around with newsgroup headings. Is that what you like to do?

I wonder what Mr. Sherman thinks of all this? As far as I am concerned, he
is the expert on newsgroup etiquette.
[...]

>>> Who suggested using a web based newsreader?
>>>
>>> Neither I nor Tom Sherman did that I can see...
>>
>> "He uses Thunderbird. Thunderbird is free software." - Tad McClellan
>

> Thunderbird is not a web based newsreader!
>
> (google groups is an example of a web based newsreader)

I thought Thunderbird was like Google Groups. What a pain that was to have
to go there to read and write. It is a wonder to me that anyone has the
patience for it. My Windows Mail is a thousand times better than Google
Groups.

In any event, many thanks for explaining Thunderbird to me. I will use that
newsreader if I ever tire of Windows Mail. After all, if it is good enough
for Tom Sherman, then it is good enough for me.
[...]

Tad McClellan

Dec 7, 2010, 7:53:54 PM12/7/10
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>> I finally figured out what is going on. When I hit Reply Group, your
>>> message
>>> comes up and it is at that point that I only see rec.bicycles.tech.
>>

>> I saw this message in r.b.t.
>>
>> I do not subscribe to r.b.s.
>
> But others who were contributing to this thread do belong to RBS, not just
> RBT.
>
>> I will not see any followups unless they are sent to r.b.t.
>
> But if I send my response according to your rule, only RBT will see it. You
> are creating difficulties for others.

I read r.b.t but not r.b.s.

You read r.b.s but not r.b.t.

>> So I set the Followup-To header to r.b.t to ensure that I see
>> any followups that are made to my posts.
>
> Yes, but that creates a complication for others since they will prefer that
> all the groups see the message, not just RBT. It is no fun to play around
> with headings for newsgroups.

It is perfectly acceptable to set a Followup-To header.

The person who is complicating things is whoever originally crossposted.

(this is one reason why crossposting is discouraged.)

> It seems you do not like a post you are contributing to to go to any
> group but RBT.

All of my messages go to all of the newsgroups of the original messages,
so I don't understand what you mean there.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 7, 2010, 8:11:15 PM12/7/10
Thunderbird automatically downloads and installs updates. Each update
costs $0.00.

>> > I still wonder what the advantages are
>> > compared to Windows Mail?
>
> I do not know what features Windows Mail nor Thundebird have, so
> I cannot comment on that.
>
> But in general, a purpose-built tool (Thunderbird) is better than
> a jack-of-all-trades tool (Windows Mail).

Thunderbird does both email and newsgroups, but does not foul half the
posts up like Windows Mail does.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 7, 2010, 8:13:31 PM12/7/10

Why would anyone use a Micro$oft product when better, free alternatives
are available? (Assuming that they are given a choice.)

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 7, 2010, 9:05:33 PM12/7/10
> [...]

Just extra work for the responding poster to add the group(s) back. Of
course, what is unacceptable is setting follow-up headers to fake
groups, groups full of kooks, etc, in an attempt to trick potential
respondents.

Edward Dolan

Dec 8, 2010, 7:59:18 AM12/8/10

> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]
>> Yes, but that creates a complication for others since they will prefer
>> that
>> all the groups see the message, not just RBT. It is no fun to play around
>> with headings for newsgroups.
>

> It is perfectly acceptable to set a Followup-To header.
>
> The person who is complicating things is whoever originally crossposted.
>
> (this is one reason why crossposting is discouraged.)

Crossposting is as common as mud and I for one do not discourage it. It is a
pain in the ass to have to add newsgroups back because of your follow-up
header.

You can stay on your single newsgroup for all eternity for all I care and I
will engage others as they like to be engaged ... without a lot of
tomfoolery about headings.

Edward Dolan

Dec 8, 2010, 8:06:35 AM12/8/10
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:idmp5e$tkv$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 12/7/2010 6:53 PM, Tad McClellan wrote:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>> Edward Dolan<edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

>>> Yes, but that creates a complication for others since they will prefer
>>> that
>>> all the groups see the message, not just RBT. It is no fun to play
>>> around
>>> with headings for newsgroups.
>>

>> It is perfectly acceptable to set a Followup-To header.
>> [...]
>
> Just extra work for the responding poster to add the group(s) back. Of
> course, what is unacceptable is setting follow-up headers to fake groups,
> groups full of kooks, etc, in an attempt to trick potential respondents.

Tad sets himself up as technologically sophisticated, but you see how he
creates problems for others. It is why I am NEVER impressed by technical
experts since they are so dumb when it comes to understanding just plain
folks.

Edward Dolan

Dec 8, 2010, 8:15:27 AM12/8/10
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:idmlvk$vvn$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 12/7/2010 3:58 PM, Tad McClellan wrote:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
>> Edward Dolan<edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

>> I do not know what features Windows Mail nor Thundebird have, so
>> I cannot comment on that.
>>
>> But in general, a purpose-built tool (Thunderbird) is better than
>> a jack-of-all-trades tool (Windows Mail).
>
> Thunderbird does both email and newsgroups, but does not foul half the
> posts up like Windows Mail does.

There is absolutely nothing connected with the computer and the Internet
that does not foul from time to time. Your Thunderbird will screw you too
sooner or later. Windows Mail does go berserk every now and then and if and
when it stops working altogether I will investigate Thunderbird. I will
admit I like Firefox much better than Windows Explorer.

Edward Dolan

Dec 8, 2010, 8:26:16 AM12/8/10
"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:idmm3q$vvn$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 12/7/2010 8:22 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

>>> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
>>>

>> Huh?
>
> Why would anyone use a Micro$oft product when better, free alternatives
> are available? (Assuming that they are given a choice.)

For the sheer convenience! Every time I download an alternative, I am in
danger of fucking-up my computer!

Let's face it, Microsoft is what made the computer what it is today, a
common appliance found in just about every home in America. Does Mr. Sherman
have an Apple Mac and/or does he use the Linux OS? I suspect not!

Duane Hébert

Dec 8, 2010, 9:22:49 AM12/8/10
On 12/7/2010 8:13 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 12/7/2010 8:22 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

>>> Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?
>>>

>> Huh?
>
> Why would anyone use a Micro$oft product when better, free alternatives
> are available? (Assuming that they are given a choice.)

I haven't got around to installing TBird at home. Last year when I
tried it, it sucked too much. The current version seems ok - I'm using
it at work.

The "Huh?" was more about you telling me to use a newsreader that will
let me respond to your posts in lieu of you not doing funny things to
your header.

So huh?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the mundane prophet of the last days before the end of times

Dec 8, 2010, 9:58:32 AM12/8/10
On Dec 8, 7:59 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message

> > ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> > Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Yes, but that creates a complication for others since they will prefer
> >> that
> >> all the groups see the message, not just RBT. It is no fun to play around
> >> with headings for newsgroups.
>
> > It is perfectly acceptable to set a Followup-To header.
>
> > The person who is complicating things is whoever originally crossposted.
>
> > (this is one reason why crossposting is discouraged.)
>
> Crossposting is as common as mud and I for one do not discourage it. It is a
> pain in the ass to have to add newsgroups back because of your follow-up
> header.
>
> You can stay on your single newsgroup for all eternity for all I care and I
> will engage others as they like to be engaged ... without a lot of
> tomfoolery about headings.

I'll kill you when I have the chance to get to kill files!

Edward Dolan

Dec 8, 2010, 11:15:52 AM12/8/10
the end of times" <nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Dec 8, 7:59 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

> Crossposting is as common as mud and I for one do not discourage it. It is
> pain in the ass to have to add newsgroups back because of your follow-up
> header.
>
> You can stay on your single newsgroup for all eternity for all I care and
> will engage others as they like to be engaged ... without a lot of
> tomfoolery about headings.

>> I'll kill you when I have the chance to get to kill files!

You are too god damn stupid to know how to do anything. Reconcile yourself
to being the village idiot. That is what you are and what you will always
be. Get used to it!

Fucking Regards,

Mr Pounder

Dec 8, 2010, 12:22:48 PM12/8/10

"Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote in message

Who likes Americans?
Googles ....................................................... page not
found.

Mr Pounder

fiultra5

Dec 8, 2010, 7:16:11 PM12/8/10
On Dec 8, 1:26 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Let's face it, Microsoft is what made the computer what it is today, a
> common appliance found in just about every home in America.

A common appliance much cursed by everyone, except those who have the
brains and the money to buy a Mac.

>Does Mr. Sherman
> have an Apple Mac

Of course he doesn't.
1. He's an engineer. Nobody's explained to him yet that there's an
easier way to do things.
2. If he had a Mac, his temper and manners would be much improved.
They aren't, ergo he doesn't have a Mac.

Andre Jute
Civilized people use the original GUI, just as civilized cyclists use
Cane Creek headsets

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 8, 2010, 9:00:08 PM12/8/10

My header is UTF-8 compliant.

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Dec 8, 2010, 9:22:55 PM12/8/10
On 2010-12-09, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? <""> wrote:
> On 12/8/2010 8:22 AM, Duane H?bert wrote:

>>> Why would anyone use a Micro$oft product when better, free alternatives
>>> are available? (Assuming that they are given a choice.)
>>>

>> I haven't got around to installing TBird at home. Last year when I
>> tried it, it sucked too much. The current version seems ok - I'm using
>> it at work.
>>
>> The "Huh?" was more about you telling me to use a newsreader that will
>> let me respond to your posts in lieu of you not doing funny things to
>> your header.
>>
>> So huh?
>
> My header is UTF-8 compliant.

Alas, usenet is not. It's a 7-bit medium.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
kristian...@gmail.com

Michael Press

Dec 9, 2010, 1:33:15 AM12/9/10
In article <slrnig0fbv.58e.k...@otaku.freeshell.org>,

All headers must be ASCII. Header titles
must be exactly as prescribed. HOWEVER... there are
means to communicate and render glyphs outside
ASCII. You have some reading to do, but I
promise it is rewarding reading.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2047>

--
Michael Press

Edward Dolan

Dec 9, 2010, 7:33:13 AM12/9/10
"fiultra5" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Dec 8, 1:26 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Let's face it, Microsoft is what made the computer what it is today, a
> common appliance found in just about every home in America.

>> A common appliance much cursed by everyone, except those who have the
brains and the money to buy a Mac.

The last time I looked, Macs continue to be super expensive whereas PCs
keeps dropping in price. I have seen Windows 7 Home Premium desktop
computers for $300 at Wal-Mart. It is all about money, not brains. Wal-Mart
has also put our local bike shop out of business and for the same reason ...
price!
[...]

Duane Hébert

Dec 9, 2010, 9:32:57 AM12/9/10

Not saying that it isn't. OE is not the best, especially not for nntp.
But I have my OE set to accept UTF-8 headers. I can read your posts
at home but when I try to reply, it
fails telling me the header is too long. Since I use the same news
server here as at home, it must be the OE.

But a lot of people use OE.

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Dec 9, 2010, 4:03:41 PM12/9/10

I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying foundation of
Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback non-ASCII content onto an
ASCII medium of transport.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
kristian...@gmail.com

Michael Press

Dec 9, 2010, 7:04:56 PM12/9/10
In article <slrnig2h1c.4fb.k...@otaku.freeshell.org>,

Not a 7-bit medium as you assert.
Network News Transfer Protocol, rfc 3977, 3.1.1 reads

Note that texts using an encoding (such as UTF-16 or UTF-32) that may
contain the octets NUL, LF, or CR other than a CRLF pair cannot be
reliably conveyed in the above format (that is, they violate the MUST
requirement above). However, except when stated otherwise, this
specification does not require the content to be UTF-8, and therefore
(subject to that same requirement) it MAY include octets above and
below 128 mixed arbitrarily.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Dec 9, 2010, 10:20:43 PM12/9/10
In article <idpd79$vuv$4...@news.eternal-september.org>,

That is as may be. Is it strictly in accord with nntp?
(not saying it is or is not.)

--
Michael Press

Jym Dyer

Dec 11, 2010, 3:32:12 AM12/11/10
> I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying
> foundation of Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback
> non-ASCII content onto an ASCII medium of transport.

=v= There aren't so many NNTP servers as there used to be.
Are any of them really so old that they still choke on 8 bits?
<_Jym_>

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Dec 11, 2010, 10:07:43 AM12/11/10

Ask the people over on alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek.

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Dec 11, 2010, 3:33:06 PM12/11/10
On 2010-12-11, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? <""> wrote:
> On 12/11/2010 2:32 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
>>> I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying
>>> foundation of Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback
>>> non-ASCII content onto an ASCII medium of transport.
>>
>> =v= There aren't so many NNTP servers as there used to be.
>> Are any of them really so old that they still choke on 8 bits?
>> <_Jym_>
>
> Ask the people over on alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek.

I resemble that remark.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
kristian...@gmail.com

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Dec 11, 2010, 3:34:19 PM12/11/10

I stand corrected. Mea culpa.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
kristian...@gmail.com

Joy Beeson

Jun 4, 2018, 10:46:27 PM6/4/18

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:55:30 -0500, "Duane Hebert" <sp...@flarn2.com>
wrote:

> > If you kill-file a person, you have forfeited your privilege to comment on
> > them.
>
> Oddly enough I agree with that.

Kill-filing doesn't stop me from fishing a post out of the
wastebasket, but it does remind me that I'd be an idiot to snap at the
bait.

I wonder whether there is anybody still monitoring this newsgroup? I
found out I was still subscribed only by accident.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

EdwardDolan

Jun 5, 2018, 6:04:01 PM6/5/18

Joy Beeson wrote:

Kill-filing doesn't stop me from fishing a post out of the
wastebasket, but it does remind me that I'd be an idiot to snap at the
bait.

I wonder whether there is anybody still monitoring this newsgroup? I
found out I was still subscribed only by accident.

> I do look in on this newsgroup occasionally, but the fact remains it has
> died. I think Mike Vandeman and I killed this group with our eternal war
> on
> mountain biking on hiking trials. I have since learned that Mike Vandeman
> is a liberal no-nothing idiot (California variety) and does not know
> what is left hand is doing from what his right hand is doing. How can you
> be in favor of open borders and also be in favor of preserving the
> environment in a pristine condition? In any event I am done arguing
> with that idiot on that subject.

> This should be a mainstream bicycle newsgroup as there is much to be said
> about
> bicycles and recreation. But this was always a contentious newsgroup and
> I think everyone decided to go with more friendly social media like
> Facebook.
> Frankly, I am not social enough for friendly groups. I like the give
> and take of argument, provided the one on the other end is not an idiot
> like Mike Vandeman. He turned out to be nothing but a crank and a
> crackpot.

> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Sparc IPX

Jun 9, 2018, 2:50:41 PM6/9/18
Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I wonder whether there is anybody still monitoring this newsgroup? I
> found out I was still subscribed only by accident.

I've been lurking for ages (bike commuter here), never felt much call to
post, however.

--
sparcipx

EdwardDolan

Jun 9, 2018, 5:58:04 PM6/9/18
"Sparc IPX" wrote in message news:pfh786$3jt$3...@odin.sdf-eu.org...

Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I wonder whether there is anybody still monitoring this newsgroup? I
> found out I was still subscribed only by accident.

I've been lurking for ages (bike commuter here), never felt much call to
post, however.

>> I wonder if all the other bicycle newsgroups are as dead as this one. In
>> fact I wonder if anything is happening on Usenet - period! I recall the
>> days when there were many hundreds of posters to all the various bicycle
>> newsgroups. But their posts were all fairly contentious. At the time
>> everyone was complaining about trolls, but trolls were never the problem.
>> The real problem was that most folks cannot take disagreement. It is too
>> bad, because it was lots of fun while it lasted.

>> A Usenet newsgroup is not where you go to find friends. Sorry, but it is
>> where you go to exchange information. From the beginning there were
>> always those who wanted a friendly chat room. Those types were gotten rid
>> of easily, and then we were left with some very intelligent types who
>> knew what they were talking about. However, disagreement is inevitable
>> and very many would take offense at the degree of disagreement. To be on
>> Usenet, you have to grow the hide of a rhinoceros. If you are unable to
>> do that, then you have no business being on Usenet.

>> It is very odd to me that many folks cannot take disagreement. I have
>> never learned anything by others agreeing with me. I only learn something
>> new by others disagreeing with me. I thrived on Usenet, but many others
>> felt they were being insulted and put upon. I think if all you want to
>> do is massage one another's ego, then Usenet will never be for you.
>> Usnent grew out of the academic world, and as we all know, academics are
>> the most contentious people in the world. Usenet - RIP!

>> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

slto...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 5:43:14 PM7/30/18
On Monday, December 6, 2010 at 9:38:21 PM UTC-8, Edward Dolan wrote:
> I just realized I will not see a response to this post unless I make sure it
> comes to RBS. I do not monitor RBT.
>
> Ed Dolan
>

> "Tad McClellan" <ta...@seesig.invalid> wrote in message
> > ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
> > Edward Dolan <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> >> "Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
> >> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

> >> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without
> >> the
> >> extra expense of a newsreader.
> >

> > There are over a dozen free newsreaders available to Bill's minions,
> > so the "extra expense" is zero.
>
> I think a lot of folks have ISPs which do not provide free newsreaders. I
> used to use Outlook Express and now I use Windows Mail. It is convenient to
> use them and they work well enough as far as I can tell. I am pretty sure
> Mr. Sherman is paying for his newsreader.
>
> What is a good free newsreader just in case I need one someday?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

Ed, Windows 10 comes with Edge. If your computer is powerful enough you can't get a better newsreader. Windows 7 uses Explorer - these come with the operating systems.

slto...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 5:44:52 PM7/30/18
On Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 9:53:52 PM UTC-8, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 11:29 PM, Dirt[bag]Roadie wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 9:01 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
> > $southslope.net"> wrote:

> >> Adding extraneous characters is not forging an email address.
> >
> > OK, call it "hiding." Still blatantly dishonest though probably not
> > illegal. Could be though, coupled with the abusive stalking behavior.
> > Especially when the stalking contains no discussion whatsoever. But
> > you are undoubtedly a legal expert and will have no difficulty
> > handling the matter.
> >
> This from someone who threatened to call up another person's co-workers.
> Sheesh.
>
> As for legal issues, falsifying quotes could be considered libel, no?

Let's remember that Jobst Brandt posted not only what he thought to be my address but a MAP for my home. How the hell he got anything like that I'm not sure. That was a home that I paid off for my mother who had been remarried and was under her new married (and then divorced) name. Shortly after her death I inherited the property and was renting it out and had "Tom Kunich is an Asshole" chalked in the driveway and someone actually crapped on the porch of my renter.

So even though Jobst was very well thought of here there was definitely something wrong with him.

slto...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 5:45:41 PM7/30/18
On Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 6:26:40 AM UTC-8, Duane Hébert wrote:
> On 12/7/2010 8:16 AM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> > On 12/6/2010 10:26 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> >> "T�m Sherm�nT �_�"<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
> >> message news:idk5nv$iq2$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

> >> Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection
> >> without the
> >> extra expense of a newsreader.
> >>

> > I paid $0.00 for Mozilla Thunderbird.
> > <http://www.mozilla.org/>
> >
> I didn't pay of OE. What difference does it make
> anyway? The point was that you are preventing people
> from replying to you with the same method that you're
> trying to prevent them from kill filing you.
> Just saying.

Kill filing is hardly effective when everyone else is quoting you in their posts.

news18

Jul 31, 2018, 1:01:34 AM7/31/18
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 14:45:40 -0700, sltom992 wrote:

> Kill filing is hardly effective when everyone else is quoting you in
> their posts.

At that stage you just killfile the morons that quote morons.
Improves the signal to noise ratio.

EdwardDolan

Aug 1, 2018, 6:21:59 AM8/1/18
wrote in message
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

> I think a lot of folks have ISPs which do not provide free newsreaders. I
> used to use Outlook Express and now I use Windows Mail. It is convenient
> use them and they work well enough as far as I can tell. I am pretty sure
> Mr. Sherman is paying for his newsreader.
>
> What is a good free newsreader just in case I need one someday?

>> Ed, Windows 10 comes with Edge. If your computer is powerful enough you
>> can't get a better newsreader. Windows 7 uses Explorer - these come with
>> the operating systems.

I am still on Windows 7 and I did find a free newsreader (September
something?) which works fine, although I seldom post to Usenet anymore. I
have never been able to use Google Groups as I was banned by that website
due to all the sissy complaints about me.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

EdwardDolan

Aug 1, 2018, 6:32:29 AM8/1/18
wrote in message
[...]

> I didn't pay of OE. What difference does it make
> anyway? The point was that you are preventing people
> from replying to you with the same method that you're
> trying to prevent them from kill filing you.
> Just saying.

>> Kill filing is hardly effective when everyone else is quoting you in
>> their posts.

I think kill filing is more effective these days. There seems to be several
methods of doing it now on YouTube I notice. I am against kill filing anyone
for any reasons whosoever, except in cases of criminal harassment. It is
terrific fun to read what morons and idiots think of me and my opinions.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

EdwardDolan

Aug 1, 2018, 7:04:40 AM8/1/18
"news18" wrote in message news:pjoqfd$cnk$8...@dont-email.me...
Who cares about the signal to noise ratio. Kill filing always arises out of
being disagreed with and is usually followed by a few harsh words, as if
words can hurt us. Morons have a right to their thoughts also. The real
problem is that kill filers take communication among anonymous posters on
social media way too serious. Think of it as fun and games and you will
never go wrong - and you will never kill file anyone. The only exceptions I
can think of is if you are getting threats of physical violence. Then it is
time to kill file the dumb bastard!

I think I have been blocked (banned) from at least a dozen arts channels on
YouTube from making comments. Why? Because I disagreed with some sissified
jerk who thinks his opinions are sacred. Mostly such types just want their
asses kissed and to be told how wonderful they are. They are not up for an
argument. Such types should not make their channels available for comments
to begin with. In any event, whenever I am blocked, I consider it a victory.
I not only got the last word, but the best word. But screw all these
sensitive sissified cowardly blockers all the way to Hell and back! The
should stay off of social media.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

EdwardDolan

Aug 1, 2018, 7:37:12 AM8/1/18
> [...]