New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

15 views
Skip to first unread message

Garrison Hilliard

unread,
Mar 21, 2017, 11:08:06 AM3/21/17
to
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Some Ohio cities, including Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus,
already had similar requirements.

The measure that took effect Tuesday is among 17 bills that Republican
Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) signed late last year. It adds the
specific 3-foot passing provision to Ohio law, which previously
required allowing a generic "safe distance."

The Plain Dealer reports Ohio joins more than half the states in the
country in setting that specification as part of law to help protect
bicyclists.





http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/new-ohio-law-drivers-leave-3-foot-gap-to-pass-bicyclists

cl...@snyder.on.ca

unread,
Mar 21, 2017, 5:51:37 PM3/21/17
to
Ontario as well.

Jeff Liebermann

unread,
Mar 21, 2017, 10:31:11 PM3/21/17
to
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:08:01 -0400, Garrison Hilliard
<garr...@efn.org> wrote:

>COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
>least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, (...)
>http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/new-ohio-law-drivers-leave-3-foot-gap-to-pass-bicyclists

I noticed that California drivers are already practicing their passing
skills in maintaining a 3ft clearance. A car and cyclist were
approaching from the opposite direction on a two lane roadway. In
order to pass the cyclist, the car swerved into oncoming traffic
nearly causing it to hit me head on. I had to swerve and drive on the
road shoulder in order to prevent an impact. Perhaps it might be
useful for the law to explain what a driver should do if it's not
possible to safely pass with a 3ft clearance?

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

cl...@snyder.on.ca

unread,
Mar 21, 2017, 10:57:54 PM3/21/17
to
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 19:31:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:08:01 -0400, Garrison Hilliard
><garr...@efn.org> wrote:
>
>>COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
>>least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, (...)
>>http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/new-ohio-law-drivers-leave-3-foot-gap-to-pass-bicyclists
>
>I noticed that California drivers are already practicing their passing
>skills in maintaining a 3ft clearance. A car and cyclist were
>approaching from the opposite direction on a two lane roadway. In
>order to pass the cyclist, the car swerved into oncoming traffic
>nearly causing it to hit me head on. I had to swerve and drive on the
>road shoulder in order to prevent an impact. Perhaps it might be
>useful for the law to explain what a driver should do if it's not
>possible to safely pass with a 3ft clearance?
It is in the ontario law. The driver must wait to pass untill it is
safe to do so.

Duane

unread,
Mar 22, 2017, 9:08:59 AM3/22/17
to
Same here in Quebec. If they can't pass safely, they have to change
lanes when it's safe to do so.

A new reaction to this from some local yahoos is to wait to pass, then
pass, go to the shoulder where there is gravel and spin out throwing
gravel at the bikes. One of my riding buddies showed me a new helmet
mounted camera that he plans to use this season just for this case.

Jeff Liebermann

unread,
Mar 22, 2017, 12:27:34 PM3/22/17
to
I should have checked the applicable laws before posting.
<http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/safely-passing-bicyclists.aspx>
California is quite specific about what to do if it's not safe to
pass. Most of the other states either don't mention this, qualify
passing as "safely passing", or just assume that no sane driver would
dive into oncoming traffic while passing.

Only one state (S. Dakota) has a provision for addition clearance at
higher speeds. I'm not sure what this means:
"A motorist overtaking a bicycle proceeding in the same direction
may partially cross the highway centerline between two lanes of
travel in the same direction if it can be performed safely."
Last time I checked, crossing the center line puts one in the opposite
direction, not the same direction.

Duane

unread,
Mar 22, 2017, 12:56:05 PM3/22/17
to
Not the center line of the highway. The center line between two lanes
of travel in the same direction. So a 4 lane highway maybe?


cl...@snyder.on.ca

unread,
Mar 22, 2017, 4:31:34 PM3/22/17
to
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:27:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
Not on multi-lane roads - and a LARGE number of Ontario roads have
more than one lane in each direction. The BIG ones don't allow
bicycles though (We hve some that are over 8 lanes in each direction)

Many of you Americans don't realize the busiest roads in North America
are in Ontario - NOT California!!!

cl...@snyder.on.ca

unread,
Mar 22, 2017, 4:35:17 PM3/22/17
to
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:56:04 -0400, Duane <duane....@group-upc.com>
wrote:
or a 4 or 6 lane urban arterial road. -we have several of those here
in Waterloo Region which are legal for bikes

AMuzi

unread,
Mar 22, 2017, 4:58:36 PM3/22/17
to
(channeling Yogi Berra) nobody drives on the LA freeways,
they're too crowded.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


sylviafe...@gmail.com

unread,
Aug 22, 2019, 6:01:12 PM8/22/19
to
BELOW IS THE LIST AND PRICES OF THE VARIOUS MEDICAL STRAINS WE GOT IN STOCK.
G O O D L U C K

1 oz AK-47 = $210,
1 oz laskan thunder=$270
1 oz Bella Caio = $210, 1 oz Granddaddy Purple =$250
1 oz Hawaiin Skunk =$250,
1 oz grape fruit= $210
1 oz OG Kush= $250,
1 oz blue berry=$240,
1 oz white widow= $250,
1 oz purple punch= $260,
1 oz bubble berry=$250,
1 oz Girls Skunk cookies $250
1 oz strawberry=$270,
1 oz bruce banner 280,
1 oz Purple Haze = $250,
1 oz Purple Star =$200,
1 oz Sour diesel = $250,
1 oz of moonrocks $300,
1 oz pineapple kush=$230,
1 oz train wreck $230,
1 oz Green crack $260,
1 oz fruity pebbles $250,
1 oz blue dream $270,
1 oz purple punch $250,
1 oz purple panty dropper $270,
1 oz Khalifa kush=$250, (3 oz $600, 6 oz $800,
NOTE: All prices are negotiable
1 pound 1600).
More info.
wickr:....qualitymedsshop
WhatsApp....+1(425) 390-4697
Email:quality...@gmail.com

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages