Rock Shox specs!

Bryan D Buchanan

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
Well now, since I have seen soooo much debate over Rock Shox, I will post
my list of the entire released Rock Shox line of suspension forks,
complete with brief descriptions of each one. The dates are the year
the fork was first released. Monetary values are approximate retail
costs, in US dollars. Hang on, this is a long post.

RS1 - The original Rock Shox. This fork is generally considered the
father of front suspension for mountain bikes, although it was NOT the
first. It had 2 inches of travel, and was very flexy. The spring was
provided by air pressure, with hydralic oil providing dampening. Very
similar to a motorcycle shock. The very first prototype didn't have a
fork brace, so when test rider/inventor Paul Turner attempted to brake,
the legs rotated outward, causing him to carsh into a wall. Little bit of
trivia there. (1990/1991) $350.00????

Mag 20 - Second generation Rock Shox. Added the Magnesium lower legs soooo
common to Rock Shox now. Was MUCH stiffer than the RS1, but had about
1/4 inch less travel. Was worth it though for the extra stiffness. Also
added the 6 click dampening adjusters to the top of each leg. (1992) $360.00

Mag 30 - Basically the RS1, but with the tubing of the Mag 20. Was only
adjustable via air pressure. Also had the allen key dampening adjusters.
It was usually found only as original equipment. Next to impossible to
find aftermarket, unless it was taken from a bike at time of purchase
because they buyer wanted a better one. (1992) $OEM only

Mag 21 - The Mag 20, but added intermediate clicks to the dampening
adjusters, took some weight off, and incresed the travel back to 2". Also
had increased stiffness. Added a negative spring to reduce topping out,
and to increase small bump sensitivity. More overlap between stanchions
and upper tubes. Was the standard frok of the pros for a long time.
(1993) $370.00

Mag 10 - A Mag 21 without the dampining adjusters. Again, found mostly
as an OEM spec. Spring rate was adjusted via air pressure, while there
was dampening adjustment, but only with a special allen wrench. (1993)
$mostly OEM

Mag 21 LT - A Mag 21 with a long travel kit installed, increased travel
to 2.5", a must for downhillers. (1993) $370.00 to $400.00 (?)

Mag 21 SL - Had Teflon coated double butted aluminum upper tubes, with an
aluminum steerer tube. Everything else is the same as the Mag
21 LT. (1994) $430.00 (?)

Mag 21 SL Ti - The Mag 21 SL, but with titanium goodies and carbon fibre
adjuster rods. Featured the finger shredder adjuster knobs too. The
steerer tube was aluminum, and the bolts and other hardware like that was
Ti, hence the SL Ti designation. This fork was originally used as a
road bike fork at the brutal Paris-Roubaix (Hell of the North) road
race. (fall 1993) $600.00

Quadra - Rock Shox's original elastomer fork. Featured one giant, cigar
elastomer, with no adjustment available other than a stiffer or softer
bumper. A decent entry level fork, which is what it was intended as.
(1993) $250.00

Quadra 10 - Same as the Quadra. (1994) $230.00

Quadra 21 - Same as Quadra 10, but added preload adjusters to the top of
each leg. (1994) $270.00

Quadra 5 - The Quadra 10 (1995) $199.00

Quadra 21R - A superb elastomer fork. Features the elastomer stack of a
Judy SL (see below) with the external componantes of the Mag 21 (see
above). Also a nice feature is the screaming yellow pint job also found
on the Judy SL. (1995) $269.00

Judy XC - Rock Shox's premier line. Features 2" of travel, provided by
an Micro-Cellular Urethane (MCU) elastomer stack, with a hydralic
dampening cartridge. Provides the suppleness of elastomers, with the big
hit and dampening characteristics of an air/oil fork. Has an aluminum
brace. (1995) $409.00

Judy DH - Downhill version of the Judy. Has 3" of travel, with larger
diameter tubes to resist flex even more! Painted a radical red color.
Most top pro DHer's are using the Judy DH now. Has a steel brace. (1995)
$499.00

Judy SL - The SuperLight version of the Judy. Has 2.5" of travel, with
titanium mounting hardware, and an aluminum steerer tube. Painted
Screaming Yellow. Most pro XC racers are using the Jusy SL. Is a bit
lighter than the Judy XC's. Has Magnesium brace. (1995) $599.00

*The Judy line has an adjustable Judy cartridge, so the dampening
can be adjusted. There may be a lower end Judy XC model for OEM that
does not have the adjuster, sort of like the Mag 10 or Mag 30.*

Paris-Roubaix - Rock Shox's road suspension fork. Has approximatly 1.25"
of travel, with titanium upper tubes, magnesium lower tubes, titanuim
steerer tube, and ultra low weight. Claimed weight is very close to two
pounds. Has the internals of the Mag 21 SL Ti. Is based on the original
Mag 21 SL Ti. (1995) $650.00

There, I hope this clears up any questions that people have about Rock
Shox now. If you would like, I shall also post for the other two major
brands, those being Answer and Marzocchi. (sp?) If there is any problem
with any of the info, let me know and I'll update my post. And please,
no flames for the length, or any incorrect info, if there is any. :)

Bry :)

--
Bry :)

* This space owned by *

Kjell Arne Olsen

May 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/21/95
In article <3p964v$9...@mozz.unh.edu>, Bryan D Buchanan wrote:

> There, I hope this clears up any questions that people have about Rock
> Shox now. If you would like, I shall also post for the other two major
> brands, those being Answer and Marzocchi. (sp?) If there is any problem
> with any of the info, let me know and I'll update my post. And please,
> no flames for the length, or any incorrect info, if there is any. :)

Many thanks for valuable information. I'm in the process of upgrading my
ca. 1992 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo with front suspension, and Rock Shox
and Marzocchi are possible buys. The local dealer has reasonable prices
on Marzocchi forks, so I would appreciate a similar posting on them.

TIA.

Kjell Arne Olsen GLORY, GLORY LEEDS UNITED!

Smail: Fredbo Email: kje...@oslonett.no
N-2380 Brumunddal Voice: + 47 62 34 34 18
NORWAY