McGee In Yellow?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Tom Kunich

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 1:36:49 PM6/15/05
to
Seems a bit strange that cyclingnews.com coverage would make a point of
Bradley being only two seconds out of first place. With some really
hard climbing stages coming up in the Tour de Suisse there's no chance
of him have EVER doing anything but getting a sprinters jersey colored
yellow.

Now I like McGee but a stage win was what he was there for and that's
what he got. Kudoes for that.

I just think it's a little weird to make anything out of wearing a
leaders jersey for that sort of thing so early in a race.

Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.....

(A leaders jersey is something of value in my opinion. Just that it is
more a personal achievement of the rider in question and not of concern
to fans.)

Ed Sullivan

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 2:05:42 PM6/15/05
to


Dear Tom Kunich,

Cyclingnews.com always makes a big deal about the accomplishments of
Aussie riders. In case you are not aware, the site is based in
Australia.

Thanks,

Ed

trg

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 2:39:19 PM6/15/05
to
"Tom Kunich" <cycl...@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1118857009.7...@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

You haven't been paying attention. McGee is (trying to) turn himself into a
GC contender. And FdJ supports him in it. He's there for a high overall GC,
the stage win was a plus (FdJ has Cooke and Eisel for stage wins). In fact
FdJ didn't want him to take the yellow jersey so they wouldn't have to
defend it, so McGee hasn't tried to get the 2 bonus seconds in sprints or
finishing above Ullrich in a finish.

He did pretty well in last year's Giro (7th or 8th wasn't it?) without
training specifically for a GC placement. This year his training and racing
has been targeted to getting a good overall in the Tour. FdJ is backing him
on it.

I found his ITT result in the Tour de Suisse this year very impressive. He's
made even better progress than Basso has. Up until now, he's been a prologue
specialist, but to finish with 15 seconds of an on form Ullrich (and higher
than the current World Champ Rogers ) in a long ITT is fantastic. Tomorrow
is the real test for him, to see how he handles the high mountains. I hope
he'll pleasantly surprise there like he did in the TT.

Go Brad!


Ewoud Dronkert

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 3:05:19 PM6/15/05
to
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:39:19 +0200, trg wrote:
> I found his ITT result in the Tour de Suisse this year very impressive.

He was the only rider faster than Ullrich on the second part of the
course.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

gym.gravity

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 3:29:10 PM6/15/05
to

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:39:19 +0200, trg wrote:
> > I found his ITT result in the Tour de Suisse this year very impressive.
>
> He was the only rider faster than Ullrich on the second part of the
> course.
>

TT winners often go faster in the second half than the first, IIRC from
some of those Chung Charts(tm)

amit....@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 3:50:14 PM6/15/05
to

the winners (usually) go faster then the losers in the second half.

ie. starting fast is a bad way to pace a TT.

trg

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 4:03:35 PM6/15/05
to
"Ewoud Dronkert" <firs...@lastname.net.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
news:csu0b1ddj1kf3e6d3...@4ax.com...

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:39:19 +0200, trg wrote:
> > I found his ITT result in the Tour de Suisse this year very impressive.
>
> He was the only rider faster than Ullrich on the second part of the
> course.
>
Even more impressive.


Tom Kunich

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 9:19:32 PM6/15/05
to
<amit....@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1118865014.0...@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Tell that to Jan and Lance.


amit

unread,
Jun 15, 2005, 10:18:40 PM6/15/05
to

Tom Kunich wrote:
> <amit....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > the winners (usually) go faster then the losers in the second half.
> >
> > ie. starting fast is a bad way to pace a TT.
>
> Tell that to Jan and Lance.

dumbass,

don't even try.

you're not the type of guy that goes back examines all the split times
from the TTs.

Robert Chung

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 3:29:24 AM6/16/05
to
gym.gravity wrote:
>
> TT winners often go faster in the second half than the first, IIRC from
> some of those Chung Charts(tm)

I don't think that's quite right. I think that people who do well on TTs
generally go slower in the second half but degrade less. There aren't too
many "two-loop" TTs, but the 2003 World TT and the Oly TT were two of them
(they've become notorious for other reasons since then):
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/olytt.png
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/world2003tt.png

Here are two non-loop TTs (which means that you can't directly compare the
first leg and second leg speeds) that have also become a bit notorious:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/vuelta04tt8.png
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/vuelta04tt15.png
In both of these stages the first leg had more climbing so the second leg
was faster.


gym.gravity

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 6:34:33 AM6/16/05
to

I guess by "faster" I meant relative to the competition. All of those
time trials, the winner was the fastest on the second half, even
Millar, he said he knew he had it won after one lap and he cruised the
second. Where are the splits for the Tour de Suisse TT? The splits
for the Giro TT's are at cyclingnews...

jc

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 3:52:43 PM6/16/05
to
trg wrote:
> You haven't been paying attention. McGee is (trying to) turn himself into a
> GC contender. And FdJ supports him in it. He's there for a high overall GC,
> the stage win was a plus (FdJ has Cooke and Eisel for stage wins). In fact
> FdJ didn't want him to take the yellow jersey so they wouldn't have to
> defend it, so McGee hasn't tried to get the 2 bonus seconds in sprints or
> finishing above Ullrich in a finish.
>
> He did pretty well in last year's Giro (7th or 8th wasn't it?) without
> training specifically for a GC placement. This year his training and racing
> has been targeted to getting a good overall in the Tour. FdJ is backing him
> on it.
>

Yes, he was eighth in last year's Giro, and placed high in several
stages along the way. He was supposed to be peaking for the Tour, and
took an unplanned detour up the Giro GC. I guess this year it's all
about the Tour, and he is certainly riding well in the Switzerland at
the moment. From pursuiter to grand tour rider, who'd have thought?!
Interesting to see how it works out.

Dr. Sisyphus Frankenstein

unread,
Jun 17, 2005, 10:03:04 PM6/17/05
to

"gym.gravity" wrote:
>

> I guess by "faster" I meant relative to the competition.

Weasel.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages