Tour de France, stage 17 summary

Bob Martin

Jul 23, 2008, 12:57:35 PM7/23/08

Changes in stage 17 compared to stage 16

Biggest gainers by position :
+21 Gert Steegmans
+20 Pieter Weening
+17 Nicolas Vogondy
+17 David Moncoutie
+16 Gorka Verdugo
+16 Florent Brard
+13 Laurent Lefevre
+12 Chris Froome
+9 David Lopez Garcia
+8 Martin Elmiger

Biggest losers by position :
-11 Johann Tschopp
-11 Juan Antonio Flecha
-11 Murilo Fischer
-11 Sebastian Lang
-11 Simon Gerrans
-9 Remi Pauriol
-8 David Le Lay
-8 Filippo Pozzato
-8 Ivan Gutierrez
-8 Luis Leon Sanchez
-8 Nicolas Portal

Biggest gainers by time :
+0:49 Carlos Sastre

Biggest losers by time :
-37:21 Heinrich Haussler
-37:21 Ruben Perez
-37:11 Adam Hansen
-37:11 Aleksandr Kuschynski
-37:11 Arnaud Coyot
-37:11 Arnaud Gerard
-37:11 Benoit Vaugrenard
-37:11 Bernhard Eisel
-37:11 Brett Lancaster
-37:11 Christophe Brandt
-37:11 Christophe Riblon

Favourites by position :
+3 Carlos Sastre
+2 Andy Schleck
+1 Vladimir Efimkin
+1 Samuel Sanchez
+1 George Hincapie
+1 Alejandro Valverde
-1 Frank Schleck
-1 Cadel Evans
-2 Jens Voigt
-2 Damiano Cunego
-4 Kim Kirchen

Favourites by time :
+0:49 Carlos Sastre
-1:14 Samuel Sanchez
-1:14 Andy Schleck
-1:24 Frank Schleck
-1:24 Alejandro Valverde
-1:26 Vladimir Efimkin
-1:26 Denis Menchov
-1:26 Christian Vande Velde
-1:26 Cadel Evans
-4:43 Damiano Cunego
-5:12 Kim Kirchen
-23:29 George Hincapie
-27:13 Jens Voigt

Top 3 and favourites standings :
1 Carlos Sastre 74.39.03
2 Frank Schleck 1.24
3 Bernhard Kohl 1.33
4 Cadel Evans 1.34
5 Denis Menchov 2.39
6 Christian Vande Velde 4.41
7 Alejandro Valverde 5.35
8 Samuel Sanchez 5.52
10 Vladimir Efimkin 8.24
11 Kim Kirchen 8.35
12 Andy Schleck 10.15
14 Damiano Cunego 12.26
37 George Hincapie 1.08.28
39 Jens Voigt 1.11.31

Retirements to date : Stage
Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 15
Mark Cavendish (GBr) Columbia 15
Mauricio Soler (Col) Barloworld 5
Felix Rafael Cardenas (Col) Barloworld 11
Baden Cooke (Aus) Barloworld 12
Moises Duenas (Spa) Barloworld 11
Paolo Longo Borghini (Ita) Barloworld 11
Manuel Beltran (Spa) Liquigas 8
Francesco Chicchi (Ita) Liquigas 16
Mark Renshaw (Aus) Credit Agricole 15
Stijn Devolder (Bel) Quick Step 15
Mauro Facci (Ita) Quick Step 7
John Gadret (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 7
Christophe Moreau (Fra) Agritubel 7
Jimmy Casper (Fra) Agritubel 17 <<<
Nicolas Jalabert (Fra) Agritubel 14
Iouri Trofimov (Rus) Bouygues Telecom 10
Sebastien Chavanel (Fra) Francaise des Jeux 16
Lilian Jegou (Fra) Francaise des Jeux 7
Riccardo Ricco (Ita) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
Juan Jose Cobo (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
David De La Fuente (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
Jesus Del Nero (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
Angel Gomez Gomez (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott 3
Josep Jufre (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
Aurelien Passeron (Fra) Saunier Duval-Scott 6
Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Scott 12
Herve Duclos-Lassalle (Fra) Cofidis 1
Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Garmin Chipotle - H30 7
Total retirements : 30

Davey Crockett

Jul 23, 2008, 1:21:30 PM7/23/08
Bob Martin a écrit profondement:

| Changes in stage 17 compared to stage 16
|

| Favourites by time :

| +0:49 Carlos Sastre
| -1:14 Samuel Sanchez
| -1:14 Andy Schleck
| -1:24 Frank Schleck
| -1:24 Alejandro Valverde
| -1:26 Vladimir Efimkin
| -1:26 Denis Menchov
| -1:26 Christian Vande Velde
| -1:26 Cadel Evans
| -4:43 Damiano Cunego
| -5:12 Kim Kirchen
| -23:29 George Hincapie
| -27:13 Jens Voigt

Just straighten Old Davey out will you Bob?

How do you compute "Favourites Gain by time" for the GC leader when
that individual was not GC leader the previous stage?

--
Davey Crockett

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 23, 2008, 1:55:59 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 9:57 am, Bob Martin <bob.mar...@excite.com> wrote:

> Biggest gainers by time :
>     +0:49   Carlos Sastre

<snip>

Dumbass -

You might consider changing the code in your bot a little. As you
know, Sastre gained more than 0:49. Your code is comparing him to
himself today (yellow) vs. himself yesterday instead of himself today
(yellow) and Schleck yesterday (yellow). MIsleading.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Bob Martin

Jul 23, 2008, 3:55:07 PM7/23/08
in 42976 20080723 182130 Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
>Bob Martin a �crit profondement:

Quite simple : this morning he was 4th at 49 secs, tonight he is 1st at 0.00
therefore he has gained 49 seconds.

Bob Martin

Jul 23, 2008, 3:55:42 PM7/23/08
in 42994 20080723 185559 Kurgan Gringioni <kgrin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 23, 9:57=A0am, Bob Martin <bob.mar...@excite.com> wrote:
>

>> Biggest gainers by time :
>> =A0 =A0 +0:49 =A0 Carlos Sastre

><snip>
>

>Dumbass -
>

>You might consider changing the code in your bot a little. As you
>know, Sastre gained more than 0:49. Your code is comparing him to
>himself today (yellow) vs. himself yesterday instead of himself today
>(yellow) and Schleck yesterday (yellow). MIsleading.
>

>thanks,
>
>K. Gringioni.

See my answer to Davey.

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 23, 2008, 9:14:10 PM7/23/08
In article <v0Mhk.31884$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:

I think there might be one other algorithm. How about showing this time
gain as nth-to-1st PLUS the gap to 2nd?

I think that shows, as best as possible, the true time advantage as best
as possible. In your formula, it doesn't seem to matter if Sastre
finished 1 second or 1 hour ahead of the second place rider. In my
formula, that's accounted for.

Showing the time gain relative to the former leader wouldn't account
for, for example, what happens when a leader drops out of contention,
because it would show large but meaningless time gains.

My method also hews closer to what you do on days when the leader keeps
the jersey and gains on all rivals: time advantage is listed as however
much more time he has over 2nd, even if a different rider is in 2nd
today.

It seems strange to benchmark the yellow jersey against second place,
but much like bidding on eBay, he's fundamentally the guy who determines
the effort (or interestingness) required to win the Tour.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/