Tour de France, stage 10 summary

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 1:33:15 PM7/14/08
to

Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

Biggest gainers by position :
+40 Jeremy Roy
+36 Remi Pauriol
+25 Hubert Dupont
+25 Amets Txurruka
+24 Stephane Goubert
+20 Leonardo Piepoli
+20 David Moncoutie
+18 Remy Di Gregorio
+18 Juan Jose Cobo
+17 Matteo Bono

Biggest losers by position :
-23 David Millar
-22 Jesus Del Nero
-21 Felix Rafael Cardenas
-21 Stijn Devolder
-14 David De La Fuente
-14 Inaki Isasi
-14 Stefan Schumacher
-13 Fabian Wegmann
-13 Filippo Pozzato
-13 Martin Muller
-13 William Bonnet

Biggest gainers by time :
+2:23 Leonardo Piepoli
+2:23 Juan Jose Cobo
+1:55 Frank Schleck
+1:17 Bernhard Kohl
+0:18 Vladimir Efimkin
+0:06 Riccardo Ricco
+0:06 Denis Menchov
+0:06 Christian Vande Velde
+0:06 Carlos Sastre
+0:06 Cadel Evans

Biggest losers by time :
-32:32 Bernhard Eisel
-32:32 Mark Cavendish
-31:43 Jimmy Casper
-31:01 Danny Pate
-30:51 Aleksandr Kuschynski
-30:51 Alessandro Ballan
-30:51 Arnaud Coyot
-30:51 Arnaud Gerard
-30:51 Baden Cooke
-30:51 Bjorn Schroder
-30:51 Brett Lancaster

Favourites by position :
+12 Vladimir Efimkin
+12 Riccardo Ricco
+12 Jens Voigt
+9 Frank Schleck
+4 Carlos Sastre
+1 Cadel Evans
-1 Damiano Cunego
-2 George Hincapie
-4 Samuel Sanchez
-6 Kim Kirchen
-8 Alejandro Valverde
-9 Oscar Pereiro
-10 Andy Schleck
-21 Stijn Devolder

Favourites by time :
+1:55 Frank Schleck
+0:18 Vladimir Efimkin
+0:06 Riccardo Ricco
+0:06 Denis Menchov
+0:06 Carlos Sastre
+0:06 Cadel Evans
-1:56 Kim Kirchen
-2:59 Samuel Sanchez
-3:28 Damiano Cunego
-3:29 Alejandro Valverde
-4:40 Oscar Pereiro
-6:36 Andy Schleck
-11:42 Jens Voigt
-12:15 Stijn Devolder
-22:05 George Hincapie

Top 3 and favourites standings :
1 Cadel Evans 42.29.09
2 Frank Schleck 0.01
3 Christian Vande Velde 0.38
.....
5 Denis Menchov 0.57
6 Carlos Sastre 1.28
7 Kim Kirchen 1.56
.....
9 Riccardo Ricco 2.29
10 Vladimir Efimkin 2.32
.....
13 Samuel Sanchez 4.26
14 Alejandro Valverde 4.41
.....
16 Damiano Cunego 5.37
17 Oscar Pereiro 6.01
.....
22 Andy Schleck 8.34
.....
28 Stijn Devolder 13.36
.....
38 Jens Voigt 27.00
.....
57 George Hincapie 39.51

Retirements to date : Stage
Mauricio Soler (Col) Barloworld 5
Manuel Beltran (Spa) Liquigas 8
Mauro Facci (Ita) Quick Step 7
John Gadret (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 7
Christophe Moreau (Fra) Agritubel 7
Iouri Trofimov (Rus) Bouygues Telecom 10 <<<
Lilian Jegou (Fra) Francaise des Jeux 7
Angel Gomez Gomez (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott 3
Aurelien Passeron (Fra) Saunier Duval-Scott 6
Herve Duclos-Lassalle (Fra) Cofidis 1
Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Garmin Chipotle - H30 7
Total retirements : 11

Tom Kunich

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 1:54:35 PM7/14/08
to
It is pretty surprising how well Christian Vande Velde looked. He was
obviously pressed but my suspicions are that he can at LEAST hold that
position into Paris especially considering that he is a hell of a lot faster
in the 56 km TT than the other hopefuls.

ila...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 1:57:01 PM7/14/08
to

I was impressed with the Saunier Duval team the way they played around
at the head of the race. I hadn't seen that since Festina in the 1997
Tour.

-ilan

Ted van de Weteringe

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 2:33:24 PM7/14/08
to
ila...@gmail.com schreef:

> I was impressed with the Saunier Duval team the way they played around
> at the head of the race. I hadn't seen that since Festina in the 1997
> Tour.

:roll-eyes:

already...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 3:03:49 PM7/14/08
to

Taking into account that "other hopefuls" include Evans and Menchov
I'd seriously question your last statement. Even the closest rival
Kohl is not a week TTer.

Mark

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 6:26:26 PM7/14/08
to

I'm thinking Evans is no threat to Vandevelde's /third place/....

...given that Evans is in first.

Mark J.

Tom Kunich

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 6:41:59 PM7/14/08
to
"Mark" <mandml...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:RN2dne2hg5QOT-bV...@comcast.com...

You believe that Crash Evans is going to keep his health?

Ryan Cousineau

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 8:37:59 PM7/14/08
to
In article <v5Mek.26630$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:

> Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

> Favourites by time :


> +1:55 Frank Schleck
> +0:18 Vladimir Efimkin

> -22:05 George Hincapie

I know, I know, but it's still funny.



> Top 3 and favourites standings :
> 1 Cadel Evans 42.29.09
> 2 Frank Schleck 0.01
> 3 Christian Vande Velde 0.38

Bob, I have to question why you keep posting these summaries. They seem
a bit off-topic for rbr: no mentions of drunkenness, politics or sex; no
graphs; no reference to the number of guns various riders may be
equipped with, or to which regular posters are actually computer
simulations. Furthermore, you fail to use the word "dumbass" at all.

Really, I have to question where you're going with this.

Thanks,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Jim F

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 9:55:32 PM7/14/08
to
"Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:rcousine-A0749A.17375614072008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...

> In article <v5Mek.26630$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
> Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9
>
>> Favourites by time :
>> +1:55 Frank Schleck
>> +0:18 Vladimir Efimkin
>
>> -22:05 George Hincapie
>
> I know, I know, but it's still funny.
>
>> Top 3 and favourites standings :
>> 1 Cadel Evans 42.29.09
>> 2 Frank Schleck 0.01
>> 3 Christian Vande Velde 0.38
>
> Bob, I have to question why you keep posting these summaries. They seem
> a bit off-topic for rbr: no mentions of drunkenness, politics or sex; no
> graphs; no reference to the number of guns various riders may be
> equipped with, or to which regular posters are actually computer
> simulations. Furthermore, you fail to use the word "dumbass" at all.
>
> Really, I have to question where you're going with this.
>
> Thanks,

My only question for Bob is how long it takes for him to compile the stats.
His posts are one of the few I actually read. I can't help but think Millar
is grumbling under his breath dopee', dopee'...

--
JF

"Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the storm and
take it to the sea. "
- Jim Hunter

phillip brown

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 10:38:36 PM7/14/08
to
On Jul 15, 11:55 am, "Jim F" <jim.flomREM...@telus.net> wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:rcousine-A0749A.17375614072008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...
>
>
>
> > In article <v5Mek.26630$E41.23...@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

My question for Bob is why he puts in '...' when he could just as
easily leave in 4th and 8th (and maybe even 11, 12 and 15)?

Otherwise, outstanding job. For me, also, one of my 'must read' posts
each day.

phillip brown

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 3:46:06 AM7/15/08
to
in 41214 20080715 013759 Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Bob, I have to question why you keep posting these summaries. They seem
>a bit off-topic for rbr: no mentions of drunkenness, politics or sex; no
>graphs; no reference to the number of guns various riders may be
>equipped with, or to which regular posters are actually computer
>simulations. Furthermore, you fail to use the word "dumbass" at all.
>
>Really, I have to question where you're going with this.

Great posts like yours, Ryan, make it all worthwhile! Thanks.

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 3:47:32 AM7/15/08
to
in 41235 20080715 025532 "Jim F" <jim.flo...@telus.net> wrote:

>My only question for Bob is how long it takes for him to compile the stats.
>His posts are one of the few I actually read.

If nothing goes wrong, about 30 seconds. Of course that's not counting the
hours of programming during the winter, but that's fun.

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 3:56:27 AM7/15/08
to
in 41245 20080715 033836 phillip brown <pjb...@people.net.au> wrote:

>My question for Bob is why he puts in '...' when he could just as
>easily leave in 4th and 8th (and maybe even 11, 12 and 15)?

I'm trying to extract the interesting bits rather than repeat the top of the GC,
but I'm always open to suggestions for improvements. Would top 10 + favourites
be more useful?
If I can select the list of favourites accurately there won't be any gaps after stage 21!

>
>Otherwise, outstanding job. For me, also, one of my 'must read' posts
>each day.

Thanks.

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 4:05:29 AM7/15/08
to

I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated automatically
he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected 40 favourites.
He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

Sreekumar A

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 4:11:31 AM7/15/08
to
Bob Martin wrote:
>
> Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9
>
> Biggest gainers by position :

Thanks Bob,
I find these useful. I refer to your posts before reading other reports
on TdF.

Thanks
Sreekumar

Donald Munro

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 4:42:48 AM7/15/08
to
Bob Martin wrote:
> I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
> even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated
> automatically he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected
> 40 favourites. He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

Do they make argyle cooler boxes ?

Ted van de Weteringe

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 6:17:08 AM7/15/08
to
Bob Martin schreef:

> I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
> even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated automatically
> he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected 40 favourites.
> He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

It's his first year as a team leader.

The automation is a good system. I don't think it's a good idea to add
random good performers to the favourites halfway through the race. All
races would end with the favourites on top.

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 8:45:59 AM7/15/08
to

My thoughts exactly! In this case I was bowing to pressure ... ;-)

SLAVE of THE STATE

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 3:04:49 PM7/15/08
to
On Jul 14, 11:33 am, Ted van de Weteringe
<myfulln...@xs4all.nl.invalid> wrote:
> ilan...@gmail.com schreef:

Horner did not want to dope, so he had to go. lol

Alan Hoyle

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 5:16:57 PM7/15/08
to

Bob,

Any chance you could slightly change the "display favorites" algorithm slightly?

For a bunch of these summaries, it's been something like

1
2
3
....
5
6
....
8
etc.

If there's a gap of just one, wouldn't it make sense to just display that name?


--
Alan Hoyle - al...@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

Ted van de Weteringe

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 6:22:44 PM7/15/08
to
Alan Hoyle schreef:

> If there's a gap of just one, wouldn't it make sense to just display that name?

Perhaps for the 3 grand tours, do the top 10 instead of top 3. That'll
probably take care of Alan's problem in most cases. On the other hand,
the distinction between favourites and surprises will be diminished.

Howard Kveck

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 9:34:21 PM7/15/08
to
In article <487c635a$0$2933$ec3e...@news.usenetmonster.com>,
Donald Munro <fat-d...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Nothing could make argyle any cooler...

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Donald Munro

unread,
Jul 16, 2008, 2:48:59 AM7/16/08
to
Alan Hoyle wrote:
> Any chance you could slightly change the "display favorites" algorithm
> slightly?

And recode the TOM9000 insult algorithm in obfusticated Perl.

Bob Martin

unread,
Jul 16, 2008, 3:23:31 AM7/16/08
to

Should I just add another section showing the top 10 on GC?

Alan Hoyle

unread,
Jul 16, 2008, 10:23:54 AM7/16/08
to

Is there another type of Perl?

William Asher

unread,
Jul 16, 2008, 5:50:28 PM7/16/08
to
Bob Martin wrote:

Yes. But randomize the sucker so they aren't in order. People have been
getting a little too complacent and that would be just what they need to
shake them up a bit.

--
Bill Asher

ila...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 17, 2008, 7:48:10 AM7/17/08
to
On Jul 14, 8:33 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
<myfulln...@xs4all.nl.invalid> wrote:
> ilan...@gmail.com schreef:

Looks like I wasn't too far off.

-ilan

already...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 20, 2008, 12:03:53 PM7/20/08
to
On Jul 15, 1:26 am, Mark <mandmljNOS...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

Do you still think that Evans is no threat to Vande Velde's third
place?

Mark

unread,
Jul 20, 2008, 8:47:17 PM7/20/08
to

Yes, it does seem that Cadel has risen (fallen?) to the challenge.

Mark J.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages