Motiv mountain bike from Costco

BK

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

I just saw a mountain bike from Costco...The brand was Motiv.
The bike looked OK and had some nice features for the price.
I think it was about $130 to $150. Since I am not looking for a
Cannondale-type bikes (too expensive) and I don't intend to do a whole
lot of mountain biking, I was wondering if this Motiv bike is a pretty
good buy...Does anybody own one of these? Are they some-what comparable
to a Schwin bike? Thanks,

Brian King

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

hey bk,
i've got a really old motiv bike that i used when i was a kid.
it's a good commuting bike for really short trips, or nice for
recreational riding on flat pavement.

however, i wouldn't recommend it for mountain biking except for on
a smooth fire trail. the frame's heavy and the components are shimano's
low of the low. if you want an inexpensive bike that you can ride around
on occasionaly, go with the motiv. if you want to go mountain biking and
enjoy the trails, go to your local bike shop. always buy on sale!

bye,
-brian k.

BK (ben...@vnet.ibm.com) wrote:
: I just saw a mountain bike from Costco...The brand was Motiv.

KRISTEN ROBESON

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

I just saw a mountain bike from Costco...The brand was Motiv.
The bike looked OK and had some nice features for the price.
I think it was about $130 to $150. Since I am not looking for a
Cannondale-type bikes (too expensive) and I don't intend to do a whole
lot of mountain biking, I was wondering if this Motiv bike is a pretty
good buy...Does anybody own one of these? Are they some-what comparable
to a Schwin bike? Thanks,

You'd be better off spending the 2oo for a low end bike from a shop.
These Motives are built up by yahoos that dont know the first thing about
assembling a bike...plus the warrantee situation on these is at best shaky.
the frames are heavy steel, the components are low end shimano, the wheels are
questionable. beleive me I checked them out myself.

good luck,

PFG

John D. Gill

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Kristen,
I concur with PFG, the quality of mechanic that assembled thart Motiv bike
is suspect. I do however understand that spending $70 more for a tool that
does a similar job is hard to justify. You may be able to shop for around
the same dollar in a bikeshop that rents bikes. A used maintained bike is
better than a shoddily assembles new one.

KRISTEN ROBESON <krob...@shrsys.hslc.org> wrote in article
<28JAN97....@shrsys.hslc.org>...