Riding through cemetaries

Claire Petersky

Apr 24, 2002, 7:47:19 PM4/24/02
What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
To those interred?

What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could see
how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.

Your opinion?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky (cpet...@yahoo.com)
Home of the meditative bicyclist:

Bob Becker

Apr 24, 2002, 8:21:00 PM4/24/02

"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a
ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to
those visiting?
> To those interred?

I will never forget "The Ride From Hell" that I went on about
5 years ago. One of the women in our club wanted to do a
memorial ride to visit her husband's grave on the anniversary
of his death. It was a VERY short ride. Something like 15 miles
and then to a restaurant to get a bite.
Well... Everything went wrong on this ride. Tires blew up,
wallets were stolen, accidents.. You name it, it happened.
And it was a clear, sunny, warm, weekday - go figure!

Anyway, the group got split up. The two groups finally found
each other at the cemetery. One group was on a high cliff
and was calling to the other group that was riding below.
Yelling and screaming - trying to get their attention.
You guessed it. Right below was a burial ceremony in progress.
Talk about bad form!
I'm sure everyone on that ride is going straight to hell for
that little indiscretion.
So, no. I no longer ride through cemeteries.

Buck

Apr 24, 2002, 8:20:47 PM4/24/02
"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
visiting?
> To those interred?

Depends on the whoop factor. A peacful group of roadies moving at a slow
pace would be a welcome sign of life to many. But a group of BMXers grinding
off headstones would probably be viewed with some disdain.

Either way, disrupting the peace and quiet, or even worse, disturbing a
funeral, would probably get you banned for life.

> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could
see
> how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.

Rolling over a grave? What kind of shortcut are you talking about!?!

-Buck

Luigi de Guzman

Apr 24, 2002, 8:48:34 PM4/24/02

"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could
see
> how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
> Your opinion?

Don't know. The only cemetery close to me is the old town cemetery here in
Fairfax, which has only one entrance and once exit. But a big monument to
the town & county's Confederate war dead-- this is still Virginia, and even
hitech NoVA, the cannon still point north.

I wouldn't roll through a cemetery, though, for fear of disrupting a
funeral--or even someone who was over for a visit. I can imagine that a
pack of neon-lycra'd, hard-charging bikies might not exactly be appreciated.
Maybe a solitary cyclist, but I'd never want to be part of a group chugging
their way through a cemetery....

-Luigi

--

Yo sueño que estoy aquí
destas prisiones cargado,

Edward Dike, III

Apr 24, 2002, 10:12:51 PM4/24/02

Claire Petersky <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
I've never had the occasion to shortcut through cemeteries, I might, if I
were alone, and the cemetery was reasonably empty of visitors- not Memorial
Day. As I have ridden my bike to stop at grave sites of family/ friends, I
don't think an individual would draw the ire of anyone. However, they are
private property. (Many have been posted to prohibit motorcycles.)
I have ridden through some of the historic cemeteries in, and around St
Paul, just because they are very unique.
If I am riding alone, through the countryside, I will almost always stop at
the (typically) small cemeteries I pass. The exception would be if an
interment were taking place. They are fascinating places, particularly, the
old ones.
Most are cited in very scenic places, and at times they are the only source
of shade trees, or water.
Much can be learned of the local history- entire families, and towns done in
by epidemics, plagues, the numerous men(mostly) lost to wars, how long some
people lived in the 19th century, or how young they died.
So far none of the interred have said even boo.
ED3

Brian Huntley

Apr 24, 2002, 10:48:07 PM4/24/02
Claire Petersky wrote:

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
> To those interred?

Here in Toronto, one of the official city paths goes right through one
of the largest cemetaries in the city (Beltway path, Mount Pleasent
Cemetary.)

It was a bit strange the first few times I went through it with my son
on the trail-a-bike - my grandfather's there, and my grandmother will
soon join him (I'm not being a pessimist; she passed away over the
winter.) But the trail is well marked, and there's a few discrete signs
asking for decorum, so it seems okay.

I did have to stop once and remind B. that "The Wheels on the Bus" at
maximum volume is *not* decorous, but hey, he's five.

David L. Johnson

Apr 24, 2002, 10:54:02 PM4/24/02
Claire Petersky wrote:

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
> To those interred?

I have yet to hear any of the interred complain. We have ridden through
cemetaries (on roadways/paths, not directly over graves, mind you), and did
not have trouble. We kept the group quiet, and would not go through during a
graveside service.

Various religious groups feel differently about cemetaries. I'm a Quaker, and
we are pretty lax about such things. We set up a playground over what we
thought was an unused portion of the graveyard, only to have some gravestones
surface from frost movement a few years later. The children still play among
the stones. But some might take it more seriously, and seeing 20 riders in
outlandish get-up, talking and laughing as they ride across someone's holy
ground at 20mph might piss someone off.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

WBtobal

Apr 24, 2002, 11:21:31 PM4/24/02
In article <buHx8.2235$iU4.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Claire
Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> writes:

>What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
>traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
>To those interred?

Claire,

I don't think it would matter a hoot to those interred, but may be
perceived as disrespectful by visitors/mourners. Arlington National
Cemetery has fairly strict rules about "through cyclists"...many use
the cemetery as a commuter route into and out of DC...but are only
permitted on certain roads within the cemetery boundary (fringe)

Personally I don't feel it's appropriate to ride through a cemetery.

Regards,
Bill Tobalske

Tom Keats

Apr 25, 2002, 1:51:05 AM4/25/02
In article <buHx8.2235$iU4.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> writes:
> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could see
> how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
> Your opinion?

I think riding a bike in a cemetery is like stomping around in cowboy
boots in a Shinto temple. Cemeteries have a singular purpose. And it
ain't bike routes. I figure, let the resting rest. They've probably
more than earned a break.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD

remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply by e-mail

Chris Federspiel

Apr 25, 2002, 1:54:56 AM4/25/02
"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

If a group of cyclists come through and you and your family are there
mourning the death of a loved one, that would suck! The cyclists are having
fun and there you are crying. If one or maybe two people come through, I
think it would be ok...wouldn't cause so much attention. Me personally, a
cyclist riding by my own grave would be pretty cool...but hey, i'm a
cyclist!

Hunrobe

Apr 25, 2002, 2:12:15 AM4/25/02
The semirural road that I live on is heavily traveled and if I head west, the
easiest way to turn south towards my usual training route is to cut through a
very small old cemetery. If there's a graveside service going on I simply turn
around so as not to disturb the mourners but even if there's no service in
progress I don't hammer through any cemetery. I figure a lot of the cars I see
driving through cemeteries are being driven by folks with things other than
watching for cyclists on their mind. I'll end up there eventually but there's
no reason to rush the inevitable.
Group rides are different. In this area anyway there's no reason any group ride
*must* cut through a cemetery. That'd be both disrespectful and poor route
planning.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Scott Lindstrom

Apr 25, 2002, 8:50:16 AM4/25/02
Claire Petersky wrote:

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could see
> how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
> Your opinion?

It's been interesting reading other's opinions.

As it happens, our yard backs up to a cemetery that I
occasionally ride through. A fairly busy road parallels
the cemetery (Speedway, for those in Madison), and it's
much more serene to cycle through the cemetery. I see
joggers, other bikers, rollerbladers, etc. using the
cemetery roads. I usually go by my grandparents',
great-grandparents', and great-great-grandparents' and
give a little wave.

Victorians held picnics in cemeteries, didn't they?

scott
--
Scott S. Lindstrom | A lawyer can be disbarred; Can
sco...@ssec.wisc.edu | a meteorologist be disgusted?

Rich Clark

Apr 25, 2002, 8:55:07 AM4/25/02

"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could
see
> how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
> Your opinion?

If I were a visitor I would be royally pissed to see someone using my loved
one's cemetary as a recreational area or as a thoroughfare or as a shoretcut
or as am athletic training field. None of these applications respect the
purpose of the space or its intended users (the families).

I did once use a cemetary as shelter when I was caught by a violent
thunderstorm while riding home. It felt good. But even then I'd have tried
very hard to stay away from visitors, had there been any.

RichC

Scott Safier

Apr 25, 2002, 10:39:00 AM4/25/02
Claire Petersky:

>What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
>traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
>To those interred?
>
>What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
>Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could see
>how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
>Your opinion?

There is a large cemetary near my house. The cemetary is historic and
regularly conducts tours. During one of these tours, the guide noted
that cemetaries are suppose to be places where people come to visit.
They are peaceful places that are designed for the living. She noted
various cemetary designs, such as cemetaries that allow monuments
versus cemetaries that only allow flat stones. This particular
cemetary has reflecting pools and a plan for planting and replacing
trees (the plan includes the type of trees that are planted). This cemetary
appeared in the movie _The_Cemetary_Club_. People routinely jog
through the cemetary, and I've recently added it to my bike route.
(It has lots of nice hills and low traffic, so I can ride with little
fear of stupid drivers)

As long as a rider stays to the paths and is respectful of other
people using the cemetary, whether the others use it for jogging,
quiet reflection, or grieving, there should be no problem. It's hard
to imagine that biking is any less respectful than filming a movie
would be.

On a slightly different note, the cemetary banned dog walking last
year. People would let their dogs run loose, and there were several
incidents where dogs disrupted internment services. This type of
disrespectful behavior should be avoided.

--

Scott
http://www.pink-triangle.org/scott

Men are like a fine wine. They all start out like grapes, and it's our job
to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into
something you'd like to have dinner with.

Scott Safier

Apr 25, 2002, 10:41:51 AM4/25/02
Scott Lindstrom:

>Victorians held picnics in cemeteries, didn't they?

Yes.

Luigi de Guzman

Apr 25, 2002, 10:56:08 AM4/25/02

> Victorians held picnics in cemeteries, didn't they?

Yeah, and Filipinos have parties--All Souls' Day is an occasion to go to the
cemetery, do a little tomb maintenance, and then have a picnic/party type
celebration. Often, these use the sepulchres of dead relatives as picnic
tables.

All the same, I don't think that a hard-charging, lycra'd group ride would
be entirely appropriate. Individuals, maybe. But the thought of a
neon-coloured peloton blowing through a cemetery doesn't appeal to me
much....

-Luigi

Hunrobe

Apr 25, 2002, 11:09:37 AM4/25/02

wrote in part:

>Me personally, a
>cyclist riding by my own grave would be pretty cool...but hey, i'm a
>cyclist!

Ok, but the question wasn't *by* your grave it was *over* your grave. So what
if you were a urologist? ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Larry Maloy

Apr 25, 2002, 11:34:00 AM4/25/02

>>> Hunrobe<hun...@aol.com> 04/25/02 12:12AM >>>

>Group rides are different. In this area anyway there's no reason any group
>ride
>*must* cut through a cemetery. That'd be both disrespectful and poor route
>planning.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Hunt

One of the popular club rides in our area is an annual historical bicycle
tour. The morning event includes cycling to several of the cities historical
sites and through a number of parks and cemeteries of pioneer origin. As far
as I know, there has never been any criticism of the ride for being
disrespectful, particularly, when the purpose of the ride is to generate
interest in and respect for local history and culture while at the same
time, enjoying a favorite activity of cycling.

My Saturday morning ride usually took me by or around one of the local
community cemeteries. Since my mother passed away several months ago and is
now buried there I find myself more frequently riding through the cemetery
to pay my respects to Mom.

I guess I don't see much of a difference between an individual or group
riding through as long as effort is there to maintain the serenity, and
respect the sacred nature that a cemetery represents to many who visit.

Larry

Ken Steinhoff

Apr 25, 2002, 12:06:46 PM4/25/02
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:47:19 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
>traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
>To those interred?
>
>What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
>Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could see
>how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
>Your opinion?

We've got a cemetery just a few blocks from my house. It's got some
nice (for Florida) rolling hills in it. My wife, who doesn't ride much
and hates traffic, will cruise around in it with me in the evenings.
We're talking slow cruising, not a paceline full of speed demons.

If I see a funeral, I won't ride through it. If I see someone at a
gravesite, I'll take another loop and avoid them. The few times I have
had contact with anyone, they didn't seem to mind my presence. We've
nodded and spoken and gone on our way.

A good friend and neighbor is buried at the entrance to the park, so I
always make a point to pause and spend a couple of minutes with him. I
like to think he'd enjoy being with me.

There are a fair number of walkers in the evenings and I frequently
run into a woman who lets her dogs run while she's strolling. We
usually chat when I see her. Overall, it's a friendly green space.

Having said that, I never go off the pavement. Riding across the
actual gravesites would show disrespect.

Christopher R. Law

Apr 25, 2002, 1:11:36 PM4/25/02
The nearby Vet's cemetary has one of the few public toilets. Our club uses the
cemetary as a rest stop and sometimes has as many as 20 riders. While there, we
act as uninvited guests and do not woop and holler. As ride leader, I've had
occasion to remind a new rider that we do not have a right to be there.

A respectful visit or ride through is all right in my book. But then again, I
used to live across the street from a cemetary. Quitest neighbors I ever had.

Chris Law

Arthur Shapiro

Apr 25, 2002, 2:44:58 PM4/25/02
In article <buHx8.2235$iU4.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride?

I don't think it is particularly disturbing to either the inhabitants or to
the visitors, as long as one isn't trying to do wind sprints.

A former club used to cut through a cemetary on one particular ride, again
ridingquite responsibly. One time as we were traversing through the cemetary,
it suddenly got *very* dark and ominous looking. (This is Southern
California). I remarked, "if I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was going
to hail!" Everyone chuckled at me, until about 30 seconds later when we
suddenly were being pelted by hail! That is extraordinarily unusual here.

My current club happens to skirt that same cemetary on several rides, rather
than going through it, so I've never had a subsequent chance to see if there's
any statistical correlation.

Art

Edward Dike, III

Apr 25, 2002, 3:17:18 PM4/25/02

| Claire Petersky <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| | What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
| | traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
| visiting?
| | To those interred?
| |
| | What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
| |
| | Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could
| see
| | how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
| |
| | Your opinion?
| |
| | --
| | Warm Regards,
| |
| | Claire Petersky (cpet...@yahoo.com)
| | Home of the meditative bicyclist:
| | http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
| |

Bundy

Apr 25, 2002, 5:22:23 PM4/25/02
"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?

Yes to a friend. No to a group.
A group ride is totally disrepectful to those mourning there loved ones at
the cemetary.
It would be a complete distraction.

--
Pat

Mike Kruger

Apr 25, 2002, 7:09:22 PM4/25/02
"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<buHx8.2235$iU4.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?

If it is an "old" cemetery with no current burials, I would have no
hesitation as a single rider, and little as a group rider. You are
likely to see a lot of joggers and power-walkers in these types of
cemeteries.

A cemetery with current activity I would cut through as a single, but
would avoid getting near any active burial service.

One area cemetery allows a tour group (the Chicago Architectural
Foundation, or some similar name) to run tours of the cemetery at $5 a
head. This is a cemetery that is mostly full, but still has some
current activity. If they are going to run tours full of gawkers, I
don't think they could reasonably object to quiet bike riders.

Frank Krygowski

Apr 25, 2002, 11:30:22 PM4/25/02
Claire Petersky wrote:

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride?

As others have pointed out, in Victorian times cemeteries were used as
public parks. History votes for enjoying them.

Those worried about disrupting graveside ceremonies can relax. It's
very, very unusual to actually come across one in process. Almost all
the time, the only people present are several feet down, and don't mind
a bit.

For several years, I've led a ride for my club called "Tour de Tombs."
It visits six or seven cemeteries. We are not racing, yelling, or
disturbing anyone. Instead, we're looking at dates on the oldest
tombstones, reading historical displays, and appreciating some of the
most beautiful sculpture in town. Really, the cemetery patronized by
our town's early barons of industry, would put many art museums to
shame!

Aside from the historic justification, I think we can justify this by
the obvious intent of the families. Why spend the money for a beautiful
memorial sculpture or carved gravestone, if nobody is ever going to
appreciate it?

And for the record - when I'm planted, all you folks are welcome to stop
by! ;-)

--
Frank Krygowski frkr...@cc.ysu.edu

Philip

Apr 26, 2002, 12:05:05 AM4/26/02
Rich Clark wrote in message ...

>I did once use a cemetary as shelter when I was caught by a violent
>thunderstorm while riding home. It felt good. But even then I'd have
tried
>very hard to stay away from visitors, had there been any.

It's okay... you're a visitor, too.

Philip

-"People are coming!"
-"It's okay, Dave...we're people, too."

Philip

Apr 26, 2002, 12:17:55 AM4/26/02
Claire Petersky wrote in message ...

>What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
>traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
visiting?
>To those interred?

This question really surprised me, since one of my favorite places to
ride around is the old Rural Cemetary, and I've often done a short climb
up through another cemetary, either to cut through, or just 'cause.

I really like cemetaries, and I don't see why I shouldn't go there, bike
or no bike.

There are, however, several different styles of cemetaries. The local
one I like to noodle around in is from the last century, and is on an
oak-covered hill. The only people I see there are walkers, dog-walkers,
and people cutting through. And homeless-y looking guys near the
entrance sometimes...with their bikes.
It's a really nice place, peaceful, and I take my son there to play
sometimes.

The other one is a steep loop up around the top of a hill through a
eucalyptus forest, and you can get into the recreation area through the
back. I may never have seen another person there that I didn't go with,
even though it's still accepting new guests.

The 'new' style of cemetary has wide asphalt drives and easy-maintenance
grave markers flush with the grass. No trees, and people look out of
place. No peaceful feeling, no old markers, no through traffic, no
reason to go.

Philip

Joshua Putnam

Apr 26, 2002, 12:33:39 AM4/26/02
In article <js_x8.1737$gd5.9...@typhoon.southeast.rr.com>,
bund...@yahoooooooooooooooooo.com writes:

>Yes to a friend. No to a group.
>A group ride is totally disrepectful to those mourning there loved ones at
>the cemetary.
>It would be a complete distraction.

It all depends on the context -- ask the French what they think
of the Tour of Battlefields when it rolls through a WW-I
graveyard, for instance.

You'll frequently find individual and group rides, both bike and
equestrian, passing through the main cemetery on Vashon Island,
quite near cpetersky's stomping grounds. One of the most popular
trails on the island runs through it. Lots of people stop to
water their horses and dogs there, too. (Good thing Yeats isn't
buried there, I guess ;-)

The dead weren't always that way, and a polite passage of the
living through a cemetery can remind those left behind of days
when loved ones now in the ground rode over it.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Larry Maloy

Apr 26, 2002, 3:56:00 PM4/26/02

>>> Philip<inkling@sonic spam? .net> 04/25/02 10:17PM >>>

>The other one is a steep loop up around the top of a hill through a
>eucalyptus forest, and you can get into the recreation area through the
>back. I may never have seen another person there that I didn't go with,
>even though it's still accepting new guests.
>

> Philip

When riding out to the eastern boarder of the state, there is a "REST AREA"
sign along the highway with a rather large arrow pointing toward a old rural
cemetery. I thought it was a nice way to refer to a cemetery, but didn't
plan on needing quite that long of a rest. I did find out that if you pull
off and go all the way around the cemetery, there is a very pleasant, tree
shaded rest area for those visitors with needs that are of a little less
permanent nature.

Larry

Paul Oosterhout

Apr 26, 2002, 5:41:41 PM4/26/02
Frank Krygowski wrote:

> <snip>

> And for the record - when I'm planted, all you folks are welcome to stop
> by! ;-)
>

> <snip>

I will doff my helmet as I ride by... ;o)

Paul O.

Jeff

May 1, 2002, 4:38:21 PM5/1/02
The main issue is respect for the dead and their visiting loved ones.
Riding on the grass over the graves is totally disrespectful. If they
wanted to be buried under a road they would have asked for that. Leaving
ruts in moist soil over a grave would be very poor form.

Likewise, a large group riding through even on the roads, or a single
cyclist racing through is being disrespectful. You are "using" the cemetary
for your own convenience with not a thought for those laid to rest (by wish
and at a cost) or visiting.

Acceptable use I believe would be a rider, or very small group, that ride
through casually, and thoughtfully paying respect to those who have gone
before. Maybe even say a silent praayer for the dead.

Bottom line, if you ride through with respect in your heart and make an
effort to demonstrate it (be courteous, yield, not race or yell back and
forth or joke around) then sure why not. But if you could care less about
those buried and are just racing through to save time then that is
disrespectful to those who built the private cemetary, visit it, and are
laid to rest there.

The fact that you bothered to ask implies that you would likely make the
effort to be respectful. Often we don't care much about how our dead body
is treated, especially if not religious. But ask yourself, how would I want
someone to act if my mother were here visiting her dead parents? Or a dead
child? It is a very solemn occassion for most. A calm, meandering
bicyclist might even lend an air of relaxation or calm to the situation.
But a gang of bikers, or a racer or yelling cyclist would be rude.

My two cents.

Jeff

"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those
visiting?
> To those interred?
>

> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?

Dennis P. Harris

May 2, 2002, 6:07:21 AM5/2/02
On Wed, 1 May 2002 13:38:21 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Jeff"
<jeffrey...@intel.com> wrote:

> Likewise, a large group riding through even on the roads, or a single
> cyclist racing through is being disrespectful. You are "using" the cemetary
> for your own convenience with not a thought for those laid to rest (by wish
> and at a cost) or visiting.

oh, horse puckey. in my town, the most popular place to sled in
the winter, or play frisbee in the summer, is the local cemtery,
which is on a gently sloping hill. my ancestors for the past 3
generations are buried there, and i don't think it's
disrepectful.

what's disrespectful is the way that other folks who have family
buried there don't clean the moss from the headstones, or keep
the grass from growing over them (most headstones there are flush
with the ground to make mowing easier).

i visit before every memorial day and tend not only family
graves, but a large group of headstones of local war dead from
WWI, WWII, korea, and vietnam whose graves are totally neglected
by their families. if it wasn't for the local VFW and american
legion posts, these folks who died for us would be long
forgotten.

Jeff

May 2, 2002, 12:26:28 PM5/2/02
"Dennis P. Harris" <NO_SPAM_T...@gci.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 1 May 2002 13:38:21 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Jeff"
> <jeffrey...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> > Likewise, a large group riding through even on the roads, or a single
> > cyclist racing through is being disrespectful. You are "using" the
cemetary
> > for your own convenience with not a thought for those laid to rest (by
wish
> > and at a cost) or visiting.
> >
> oh, horse puckey. in my town, the most popular place to sled in
> the winter, or play frisbee in the summer, is the local cemtery,
> which is on a gently sloping hill. my ancestors for the past 3
> generations are buried there, and i don't think it's
> disrepectful.

So how is sledding over graves or playing frisbee over them being
respectful?
Sounds selfish to me. Your town is so poor there are no open spaces or
parks, just the cemetary to use for picnics, sports, and the occassional
burial?
No school playgrounds to use for frisbee?

We are at odds on what is respectful behavior, and that is just what the
original poster wanted to solicit, individual opinions.

Jeff

Corvus Corvax

May 2, 2002, 3:24:50 PM5/2/02
NO_SPAM_T...@gci.net (Dennis P. Harris) wrote

> oh, horse puckey. in my town, the most popular place to sled in

> the winter, or play frisbee in the summer, is the local cemtery,

> which is on a gently sloping hill. my ancestors for the past 3

> generations are buried there, and i don't think it's

> disrepectful.

Indeed. Visiting Munich a few years ago, one of the things I thought
was really cool was that the huge old cemetery in the middle of town
was used as a big public park. On a weekend afternoon, the place was
full of families having picnics, people playing frisbee, couples kissing
under the trees. It was so wonderful and civilized and uninhibited. (And
you know you're uptight if Bavarians look uninhibited by comparison!)

Personally, I can't think of anything I'd rather have going on on top
of my grave after I die than a couple of teenagers making out.

571830573294323629934765012348436263285853260687657402192238

Corvus "little death" Corvax

324908584730535672342307543875016719214012473014020239437239

Mark Buell

May 3, 2002, 9:29:30 PM5/3/02
Claire Petersky posted...

> What do you think about using cemeteries as a short cut on a ride? Low
> traffic and peaceful, but do you feel it's disrespectful to those visiting?
> To those interred?
>
> What if it were it were you and a friend riding? A group ride?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind a bicycle rolling over my grave, but I could see
> how cyclists zipping by might be disturbing to cemetery visitors.
>
> Your opinion?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky (cpet...@yahoo.com)
> Home of the meditative bicyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

One leg of my commute used to take me through a cemetery shortcut. No
skin off my nose, even after dark. Now my commute goes a slightly
different route, to shave the mileage a bit, but sometimes I still go
that way. To me? I think it is not disrespectful. Life is for living, and
give me a party when I'm gone, just make sure you have a blasting good
time.

--
Mark
<^>

Claire Petersky

May 5, 2002, 10:09:42 PM5/5/02
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. It gave me something
to consider.

Today I did a ride (the ride description for which you may view over at
r.b.rides) where I had two cemetery stops -- one at the grave for Chief
Sealth, the other at the one for the Port Gamble-S'Kallam tribe. We did not
ride through either one, but did enjoy some snacks at the latter location. I
don't think we were disrespectful, and since neither location had visitors,
we weren't obviously objectionable to anyone nearby.

Again, thanks.