It's fair week, and I can't go.

Joy Beeson

Jul 12, 2022, 11:05:29 PM7/12/22

After surgery last Thursday, I asked when I could resume riding my
bike. She said that she couldn't tell me that until after my
follow-up exam on August the eighth. (I don't think she realized that
she was confining me to quarters.)

Then before I had time to resume writing this rant, I freshed up my go
bag for Dave's trip to Fort Wayne tomorrow -- my follow-up isn't the
eighth, it's the eighteenth!

The county fair is this week -- me no go, not even by car.

The tomato festival and Pierceton Days are both in July, and must be
coming up soon. No fun if I can't stop at a garage sale on the way
in, and there's no place to park when I get there.

I was looking forward to buying a hat at the tomato festival. The one
I bought there several years ago blew off while I was doing wind
sprints in Lowe's (I dare not run without a shopping cart.) and I
didn't notice until there was no hope of finding it.

Ah, well, there is no guarantee that the vendor hasn't given up
selling hand embroidery in the meanwhile, and the grapes are green.

The Tour des Lakes was Saturday.

Al is almost out of canned food, and the supply at Kroger was very
picked-over. PetSmart is a lovely ride, and a lousy drive. I hates
SR 15 with a purple passion.

The Tour des Lakes is this Saturday.

Pierceton Days is the 29th and 30th of July.

Yay! The tomato festival is August 27! It's essential that events
must happen in July because the kids go back to school in August (for
the express purpose of preventing the children from getting any
real-world experience by working for money), but though the 4-H
projects can be shown by exhibiting half-grown garden sass, to
celebrate tomatoes, you have to have actual tomatoes.

I'm agoing no matter what the doctor says nine days before. Um, can
I work up to fifteen miles in nine days? I'm allowed to walk as much
as I please, and that includes up and down stairs if my blood pressure
doesn't rise.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Joy Beeson

Jul 15, 2022, 12:38:08 AM7/15/22
On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 23:05:26 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> The Tour des Lakes is this Saturday.

In today's e-mail, I learned that I couldn't have gone anyway:

> The TDL committee has decided to make it mandatory for
> Riders to get on the course by a specific time.
>
> Riders of the 100K to start at or by 7:30am,
> 55K at or by 8:30am
> and 30K at or by 9:30am.

(The route has to be cleared by 4:00, but they phrased it in the
announcement that they wanted riders back in time for the post-ride
festivities.)

I just barely got there before nine last year. No way I'll be out of
*bed* at 7:30. Well, I got up at four yesterday, but not in any
shape to have fun. Or to drive to Fort Wayne; Dave's nephew took us.

The valve replacement took half as long as predicted, and he slept
better last night than he thought he would. (The ICU is noisy, and
you can't dim the lights.) The nephew took me back to pick him up
this afternoon, and he's already resumed normal activity -- except
that when the cat throws up, it's my turn to clean it up.

Should be all recovery on the medical front for the rest of the
summer. I resumed sleeping in bed without a wedge of pillows today.

Last Saturday I walked the Fuji to the Trailhouse and told them they
had until the eighth of August to tune it up.

I intend to resume riding the flatfoot before the end of July. I'm
cleared to walk all I want, and the flatfoot poses no more danger of
falling than walking does. But I can't *go* anywhere.

pH

Jul 15, 2022, 7:16:26 PM7/15/22
Since it's none of my business, what was the nature of your surgery.

As long as it's nothing serious is all I'm worried about.....

pH in Aptos

Joy Beeson

Jul 27, 2022, 3:55:21 AM7/27/22
On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 23:16:23 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOS...@gmail.org>
wrote:

> Since it's none of my business, what was the nature of your surgery.
>
> As long as it's nothing serious is all I'm worried about.....

Basal cell carcinoma. The first time I got it, I was all impressed
with Living in the Future -- "I've got cancer, and it's *trivial*!"

I never got sunburned on purpose like the other girls in my school,
but we spent three years in Florida, and sunscreen hadn't been
invented yet.

My spouse lived in Texas for a much longer time, and he's a redhead.
He never comes back from the dermatologist without a fresh crop of
frost burns.

The excision is nothing much -- the glass heads on my sewing pins are
bigger -- but tape stuck to an eyelid is a royal pain.

------------

Found in drafts folder on Wednesday, 27 July 2022

Learned to cut a corner off the tape, and a corner off the dressing.

Also learned to spread the left-over Vaseline over where the tape
goes. The tape the doctor supplied sticks to Vaseline just fine, but
it is now possible to remove it.

There is nothing but a red spot left; if it were someplace where I
could put sunscreen, I'd stop dressing it.

But I took the bike in for an overhaul when I learned that I'd be off
it for weeks, and it will be a week and a half before it's my turn.

Eliminates temptation, I guess.

Despite not spending one day a week planning an all-day ride and one
day recovering from having skipped my nap, I've been extremely short
of time. The asparagus bed is grown up in weeds.

pH

Jul 27, 2022, 9:54:43 PM7/27/22
On 2022-07-27, Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 23:16:23 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOS...@gmail.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Since it's none of my business, what was the nature of your surgery.
>>
>> As long as it's nothing serious is all I'm worried about.....
>>

> Basal cell carcinoma. The first time I got it, I was all impressed
> with Living in the Future -- "I've got cancer, and it's *trivial*!"

Thank-you for the fill-in. Coincidentally, I just visited my Dr. today
(he's great...he made house calls and came to our house to check out the
kids when we had 'em born at home) to check out a suspicious mole.

Told me it was nothing to worry about then we spent ten minutes lookinig at
google images while he pointed out things he *didn't* like to see.

THEN he said "I'll prescribe you this <whatever>. Dab it on and over time
the mole will just go away."

Then he said" Yipe! they want $50 for this prescription...here, let's just
burn it off right now."

Off he went, got some tools, numbed me up and off it went....he likes doing
real doctor stuff.

Anyway I better say "bicycle" so as not to get in trouble.

I'm glad you are okay (but annoyed a bit until it all heals up....don't
blame you.).

pH In Aptos