Schwalbe Big Apple

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

Mar 5, 2004, 10:38:38 AM3/5/04
Any thoughts anyone would like to share on these tires?

I'm looking at 2.0x26" (not the 2.35) for some high speed rides around
the city (with some heavy cornering).

--
"There's a fine line between an attitude problem and thinking clearly."
d.B. ICQ: 138579247

Cipher

Mar 5, 2004, 12:19:09 PM3/5/04

(How bad are the roads around you?) If as you say you want to go on
'some high speed rides around the city (with some heavy cornering)'
there are many other tires to choose from. What specifically is driving
you to choose this tire in particular?

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

Mar 5, 2004, 1:40:24 PM3/5/04
In article <hE22c.31423$Qs3....@fe10.usenetserver.com>, Cipher says...

> Dalibor Bauernf wrote:
> > Any thoughts anyone would like to share on these tires?
> > I'm looking at 2.0x26" (not the 2.35) for some high speed rides around
> > the city (with some heavy cornering).
> > --
> > "There's a fine line between an attitude problem and thinking clearly."
> > d.B. ICQ: 138579247
>

> (How bad are the roads around you?)

Rather bad..

> If as you say you want to go on 'some high speed rides around the city (with some heavy cornering)'
> there are many other tires to choose from. What specifically is driving you to choose this tire in particular?

Positive experience with Shwalbe tires from the last 5-6 years that i've been using
them (land cruiser mostly). The City Marathon is discontinued and replaced by the
Big Apple (It seems). I understand that the 26x2.35" is for nothing else but comfort,
and the 2.0 is EXTREMELY different.

I was suggested i should go for the Marathon Slick but that would look awful on my
Wheeler bike (too thin @ 1,75").

I know I'm nitpickin' here, but i really don't want a tire that's under 1.9".

So let me rearange my question. What's the best slick tire at the moment that is
at least 1.9 wide?

I would really like if anyone with the Big Apple could share his opinion; and again,
the 26x2.0 version. I tried the 2.35 and it's like driving a limo.

ALso, i can't find any reviews on the tire on the web, and all descriptions are about
the 2,35.

Chalo

Mar 5, 2004, 5:46:43 PM3/5/04
Dalibor Bauernfrajnd <REMOVEco...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any thoughts anyone would like to share on these tires?
>
> I'm looking at 2.0x26" (not the 2.35) for some high speed rides around
> the city (with some heavy cornering).

I have tried every kind of fat slick tire I could get my hands on, and
the Schwalbe Big Apple is the best by a wide margin. It has very low
rolling resistance and an ability to maintain traction over bumps that
is unequaled by any other tire I have used.

I prefer the 60-622 size to the others (I have used 50-622 and
60-559), but they are all outstanding. My friend Val Kleitz used the
50-559 size on his cargo bike, and he could not say enough about how
the ride and traction had improved over the Michelin Wildgripper Rock
tires he used before.

I am anxious to try the Schwalbe Super Moto, which is the 26x2.35"
size with a Kevlar bead and lighter casing. It is not yet available
in the U.S. market, but it might be where you live.

Chalo Colina

Tony Rentschler

Mar 5, 2004, 7:44:45 PM3/5/04
In article <8b4b7de4.04030...@posting.google.com>, Chalo
<chump...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I prefer the 60-622 size to the others (I have used 50-622 and
> 60-559), but they are all outstanding. My friend Val Kleitz used the
> 50-559 size on his cargo bike, and he could not say enough about how
> the ride and traction had improved over the Michelin Wildgripper Rock
> tires he used before.

What kind of bike (or frame) are you riding that can fit these big
tires? And, if you don't mind, what kind of rims, hubs, and brakes do
you use?

Thanks,
Tony

--
Tony Rentschler
New York, NY

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

Mar 5, 2004, 9:50:48 PM3/5/04
In article <8b4b7de4.04030...@posting.google.com>, Chalo says...

> I have tried every kind of fat slick tire I could get my hands on, and
> the Schwalbe Big Apple is the best by a wide margin.

Thnx for your input.
How about cornering with the 50-559? Is it any stiffer then the 60?

> I am anxious to try the Schwalbe Super Moto, which is the 26x2.35"
> size with a Kevlar bead and lighter casing. It is not yet available
> in the U.S. market, but it might be where you live.

Yeah it is, but a bit over my $ limit, and i really don't want the 2.35.

Chalo

Mar 8, 2004, 4:54:42 PM3/8/04
Tony Rentschler <wal...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> What kind of bike (or frame) are you riding that can fit these big
> tires?

I had a Van Dessel Buzz Bomb 29" MTB that could take the big 60-622
tires. Now I have a custom frame that is roomy enough. The Surly
Karate Monkey would be my choice #1 for a fat tire 700c bike were I to
build a new one.

60-559 will fit many MTB frames and brakes.

> And, if you don't mind, what kind of rims, hubs, and brakes do you use?

I use Rhyno Lite 700c rims for wide tires, though I've never had any
problems running super fat tires on normal width rims (19 to 23mm).

Any hubs will do; my favorite wheelset uses a Rohloff Speedhub in the
rear and a BMX rear hub retrofitted for front disc brake duty, laced
to Snow Cat rims. Another nice one uses 48 hole Sachs drums laced to
700c Rigida tandem rims.

Some V-brakes are too tight to fit the 60mm Big Apple. Avid Single
Digits work OK in my experience, and any wide-profile cantilevers will
clear the fattest of tires. Of course, drum or disc brakes make no
demands of the rim or tire and will work with anything.

Chalo Colina

Chalo

Mar 8, 2004, 5:02:25 PM3/8/04
Dalibor Bauernfrajnd <REMOVEco...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How about cornering with the 50-559? Is it any stiffer then the 60?

Well, the 50-622 is stiffer than the 60-622. It's probably more a
matter of adjusting the tire pressure to suit your expectations than
anything else. These Big Apples are all supple tires to begin with.
If you prefer the feel of a stiffer casing, I recommend the
Continental Top Touring 2000 in 50-559.

Chalo Colina

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

Mar 9, 2004, 9:02:58 AM3/9/04
In article <8b4b7de4.04030...@posting.google.com>, Chalo says...

Thnx, I think the 50-559 Apple will do :)