Nashbar has some security issues with their website. Beware!

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Fritz

unread,
Jun 19, 2009, 9:37:36 AM6/19/09
to
This sucks. I really like Nashbar and have been buying from them for
years but,
it appears that Nashbar has some security problems at their website.
I recently experieced some credit card fraud and after
a little research I found that I am not alone. The credit card was
used recently at Nashbar and no where else.
Beware when using your credit cards at NashBar and check your
statements for
unautorized charges.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/nashbar-c190400.html
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-888-216-4952/3

raamman

unread,
Jun 19, 2009, 9:47:45 AM6/19/09
to

thanx for the heads up: I used to buy a lot online from them.

Bill Sornson

unread,
Jun 19, 2009, 11:07:41 AM6/19/09
to
Fritz wrote:
> This sucks. I really like Nashbar and have been buying from them for
> years but,
> it appears that Nashbar has some security problems at their website.
> I recently experieced some credit card fraud and after
> a little research I found that I am not alone. The credit card was
> used recently at Nashbar and no where else.
> Beware when using your credit cards at NashBar and check your
> statements for
> unautorized charges.

Months ago one of my credit cards was hacked at I-Tunes. CC co. caught it
and called me; glad they were on the ball like that. (Charges were
relatively small, so something else must have alerted them.)

Always check statements carefully.

BS (not)


Art Harris

unread,
Jun 19, 2009, 11:31:50 AM6/19/09
to
Bill Sornson wrote:

>
> Months ago one of my credit cards was hacked at I-Tunes.  CC co. caught it
> and called me; glad they were on the ball like that.  (Charges were
> relatively small, so something else must have alerted them.)
>

Hmm. I experienced the exact same thing. CC co. closed out the account
and sent me a new card.

Art Harris

Bill Sornson

unread,
Jun 19, 2009, 11:56:28 AM6/19/09
to

Yup, same here. PITA with a few "auto pay" arrangements, but in the end no
harm.

Bill "crooks suck" S.


Claus Assmann

unread,
Jun 19, 2009, 2:47:40 PM6/19/09
to
Fritz wrote:

> it appears that Nashbar has some security problems at their website.

Not just Nashbar. I use "tagged" e-mail addresses, and the address
I gave to Performance Bikes has been used in scams that I received
(e.g., faked mail from the FBI about my ATM card).

sally

unread,
Jun 20, 2009, 1:33:22 AM6/20/09
to
Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de>
wrote in news:h1gmgc$417$1...@mothra.sendmail.com:

> Not just Nashbar. I use "tagged" e-mail addresses, and the address
> I gave to Performance Bikes has been used in scams that I received
> (e.g., faked mail from the FBI about my ATM card).

Nashbar and Performance are the same company.

Claus Assmann

unread,
Jun 20, 2009, 11:42:14 PM6/20/09
to
sally wrote:
> Claus Assmann wrote in news:h1gmgc$417$1...@mothra.sendmail.com:

> > Not just Nashbar. I use "tagged" e-mail addresses, and the address
> > I gave to Performance Bikes has been used in scams that I received

> Nashbar and Performance are the same company.

However, the address I gave to Nashbar has not (yet?) been abused.
Moreover, Nashbar accepted a form of tagging that Performance does
not accept (+detail; many websites are broken and do not accept "+"
in e-mail addresses even though it is perfectly valid); hmm, maybe
that's why only the Performance address was abused.

dgk

unread,
Jun 22, 2009, 8:59:11 AM6/22/09
to

Usually by the time the vulnerability has been noticed they close it
and it is safe. The same thing happened at a battery place I had used.

But there is no sign here that Nashbar knows they have a problem. Did
anyone contact them directly?

Fritz

unread,
Jun 22, 2009, 10:11:05 AM6/22/09
to


If you do a Google Search on "nashbar credit card fraud" you will
find that lots of people have complained to the company and have been
given little hope that the problem is going to be resolved.

John Reed

unread,
Jun 22, 2009, 7:12:58 PM6/22/09
to
Thanks for letting me know who used my credit card without my permission. A
couple months ago MasterCard called me and said they had a suspicious charge
on my card. It was $1080 worth of airline tickets. More was attempted, but
those charges were refused. My card was cancelled and a new one was issued.
I never lost any money, in fact I never received a bill for those fraudulent
charges. I had made some purchases from Nashbar a few weeks before this.
That's the last I'll be buying from Nashbar. Too bad because they have good
equipment at decent prices.


"Fritz" <kh6...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8v3v3518q77nktjv2...@4ax.com...

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages