smelly tevas?

gaikokuji...@mindless.com

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Hi, i have a pair of beloved tevas for 4 years now. Amazingly enough (you'd
think 300 out of 365 days of wearing they would be gone now) they are still
in relativly good shape (had to get the velcro replaced but thats it) but i
have run into a nother problem (actually it has been on going). Smell, i
tend to sweat quite a bit and over the years the tevas have soaked up lots of
sweat and now have been tainted by what seems to be a perpetual stench. My
question is, does any one out there have a remedy for *cleaning* tevas
(soaking in some solution or whatever)... i have had shoe shops suggest
certain sprays but since the sweat is soaked in to my tevas the sprays do
little good. any suggestions or comentary is welscomed (and encouraged!).

thank you,

-Gaiko
--
Gaikokujin Kyofusho
Student Extraordinare & UN*X Guru Wannbe

Marty

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
In article <6sm84b$ehu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, gaikokuji...@mindless.com wrote:
---snip---

>tend to sweat quite a bit and over the years the tevas have soaked up lots of
>sweat and now have been tainted by what seems to be a perpetual stench. My
>question is, does any one out there have a remedy for *cleaning* teva

Your mileage may vary, but after a couple of paddling trips on a particularly
organic lake I was able to rid my Teva's of the sweat/lakewater smell by
soaking them in a mild bleach solution (about 1/2 cup bleach to 5 gallons of
water) overnight and the allowing them to fully dry out.

Hope this helps!

--
STOP SPAM! Join the Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email
Visit http://www.cauce.org

admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost ro...@mailloop.com

eaguilr

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Yuck,
I had a similar problem. Let me make 2 comments.
1) i think tevas are made with some sort of anti stench chemical
embedded in the footbed of the shoe.. I THINK.. am not positive. When
the stuff is gone, it is gone.. and that is that... you will get
stinkier and stinkier shoes as time goes on.

2) what i have done is wash those suckers out with water and plain old
laundry soap, using a nice brush to scrub the footbed out. the little
"divots" in the footbed get full of dirt and other gunk... scrubbing em
out helps get em non stinky.. for a while..

And, a third suggestion: New tevas perhaps?

edwin

gaikokuji...@mindless.com wrote:

> Hi, i have a pair of beloved tevas for 4 years now. Amazingly enough
> (you'd
> think 300 out of 365 days of wearing they would be gone now) they are
> still
> in relativly good shape (had to get the velcro replaced but thats it)
> but i
> have run into a nother problem (actually it has been on going).
> Smell, i

> tend to sweat quite a bit and over the years the tevas have soaked up
> lots of
> sweat and now have been tainted by what seems to be a perpetual
> stench. My

Brian Parks

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
In article <6sm84b$ehu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
gaikokuji...@mindless.com wrote:

> question is, does any one out there have a remedy for *cleaning* tevas
> (soaking in some solution or whatever)... i have had shoe shops suggest
> certain sprays but since the sweat is soaked in to my tevas the sprays do
> little good. any suggestions or comentary is welscomed (and encouraged!).

we could generate quite a chemical weapons stock if we scraped off that
dirty grease off the soles of our flip flops and bottled it. swab 'em down
with full-strength ammonia. it isnt perfect, but nothing is. i have tried
soap and water, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide. but ammonia has been the
best of all.

bmp

--
Delete the "SPAM" to reach me directly

Rob

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
to gaikokuji...@mindless.com
Smelly Tevas?

There's a product called Sandal Suds, available at some Teva dealers and
through some mail order places, which works wonders. It also contains an
agent which helps prevent future bacterial growth (that's what stinks).
I've noticed that after I wash my sandal once with the stuff, they take
much longer to get stinky. It really does work!

Rob

Penny Schwyn

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

I have *heard* that scrubbing the soles down with a baking soda solution
will work, too.

Penny

KURTEW

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
http://outside.starwave.com/outsidestore/gearguy/060598/liz.html

How do you get the STINK out of sport sandals?

Question: Dear Gear Guy,

Do you have any idea how to get STINK out of sport sandals? I have a perfectly
good pair that is plagued after a jaunt in mud and lake water. I tried soaking
it in diluted bleach and also in regular detergent.

Thanks!

Liz McGuire
Austin, Texas

Gear Guy: Yuk. Sounds like you probably have mildew or some other organism
embedded in the pores of the sandals, off-gassing body waste and creating a
smell.

I’m not certain it will work, but try this. It’s a formula put together by The
North Face for removing/killing mildew from tents. Worth a shot with your
sandals:

Mix one-half cup Lysol in a gallon of hot water. Wash the sandals thoroughly in
this mix. Let them dry, then mix one cup of salt and one cup of concentrated
lemon juice, again in hot water, and soak the sandals for, oh, try an hour or
so. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.

And let me know if it works!

John P Minda

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, eaguilr wrote:

> And, a third suggestion: New tevas perhaps?

I think that is how the TEVA company gets people to spend $85 a year on
sandles: The stench comes from within the sandal.

Paul
----------------------------------
John Paul Minda

SUNY at Buffalo
Department of Psychology

e-mail: mi...@acsu.buffalo.edu
homepage: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~minda
----------------------------------

Gary Pagac

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 14:12:27 GMT, gaikokuji...@mindless.com
wrote:

>Hi, i have a pair of beloved tevas for 4 years now. Amazingly enough (you'd
>think 300 out of 365 days of wearing they would be gone now) they are still
>in relativly good shape (had to get the velcro replaced but thats it) but i

My Wet Climbers are not permitted in the house until they are dry.

If yours are already dry, use Lysol each time you take them off.

Pete Hickey

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
I don't have tevas (and I probably never will), but I
am intrigued by them. It seems that every few months
I see this subject come up. And it always generates a lot
of response. Which leads me to beleive that it is quite
common. Which is why I will probably never own them.
Why would I want to buy something that stinks, and everybody
talks about how they stink?

--
Fight Spam! Join CAUCE (Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email)
at http://www.cauce.org/

david mann

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Pete Hickey (pe...@bitman.uottawa.ca.DELETE.TO.EMAIL.ME) wrote:
: I don't have tevas (and I probably never will), but I

: am intrigued by them. It seems that every few months
: I see this subject come up. And it always generates a lot
: of response. Which leads me to beleive that it is quite
: common.

Tough to guage. We're only hearing the negs here not the
positives. I've been wearing Teva for years and have
never gotten the stink others complain of. I'd guess
personal chemistry has a lot to do with it.

: Which is why I will probably never own them.

They're sandals.

Brian Parks

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
In article <6soi4b$18so$1...@mercury.cc.uottawa.ca>,
pe...@bitman.uottawa.ca.DELETE.TO.EMAIL.ME (Pete Hickey) wrote:

> I don't have tevas (and I probably never will), but I
> am intrigued by them. It seems that every few months
> I see this subject come up. And it always generates a lot
> of response. Which leads me to beleive that it is quite

> common. Which is why I will probably never own them.
> Why would I want to buy something that stinks, and everybody
> talks about how they stink?

actually, this problem is not exclusive to tevas. the reason they come up
in the threads so often is because they have such a large share of the
market. i own chacos. they stink. i know many who own birkensotcks. they
stink. virtually any sandal will eventually stink given time. being open,
it is very easy for dirt and dust and spores and nutrients from liquid and
solid matter to get in there. with the heat and moisture of your feet and
your own personal footbed biota, you have a veritable "amazon" jungle down
there. it is the true primordial ooze you are creating. so, maybe we are
just the crap on the teva sole of god's sandals, yes? (whether you believe
or not). afterall, many have referred to all of life on this planet as
literally the scum of the earth (think about it). but i digress. in
general, leather footbeds seem to avoid the smelliness more than rubber,
but they are not void of the problem. wash your feet. wash your sandals.
live with it. you'll survive.

Dudley Warner

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
I have encountered the same problem over the years with Teva sandals
that everyone else describes, but have found stuff called "Sandal Suds"
that absolutely removes the smell. For older sandals, you wash them
twice in the soap, and let them air dry. The drying part is critical.
Treating them kills the bacteria that produces the smell, and will
prevent reoccurence for at least a year.

Dudley Warner

Julius Edward Daniels

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98

gaikokuji...@mindless.com wrote in message
<6sm84b$ehu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
:Hi, i have a pair of beloved tevas for 4 years now. Amazingly enough

(you'd
:think 300 out of 365 days of wearing they would be gone now) they are still
<---snip

I have had mine for two years. They stink...In fact they are foul and really
just plain odiferous. They also repel bears and porcupines. One good whiff
of my treads and bears take to the hills, and its tits-up for the porcupine
that would try to make off with one in their mouth. Oh yeah...have you ever
seen a cross-eyed skunk? Let one curl up with MY tevas!!! ROFL.

Gary Pagac

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
On 4 Sep 1998 13:12:13 GMT, dam...@lynx01.dac.neu.edu (david mann)
wrote:

>Tough to guage. We're only hearing the negs here not the
>positives. I've been wearing Teva for years and have
>never gotten the stink others complain of. I'd guess
>personal chemistry has a lot to do with it.

You know, you and Brian have a point. It's a combination of being wet
(from water quality that we question), personal foot odor (mine in the
worst), and some other mystery component that must be unknown to me.
Do not blame the brand; my Teva Wet Climber shoes have held up for a
long while; much longer than others. I'd say that my old things
stink; hopefully i do not get that way!

Bubbaloo

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

Julius Edward Daniels <je...@gulf.net> wrote in article
<6sq7ro$o...@cobia.gulf.net>...

> and its tits-up for the porcupine
> that would try to make off with one in their mouth

I laughed my balls off when I read this part.

Oh, I've found the best thing for a smelly pair of sandals is believe it or
not soak them in white gas. Once they've been in there for about half an
hour or so, take them out and toss a lit match on them. After that, I
promise they will never stink again.

Julius Edward Daniels

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
I am glad that you got the message!!! LOL We can't all smell nice while
prancing through the woods.! Try 4 day old socks that have been through the
rain and stayed wet and on your feet and never dried out and....YES YES I
will tell you anything that you want to know...just get those damnable socks
out of this tent!!!

When you hike the hike ya gotta live with the smell...

Cheers
Ed 'kickatree'

Bubbaloo wrote in message <01bdd87d$d8c76620$660156d1@stephen>...
:
:
:Julius Edward Daniels <je...@gulf.net> wrote in article

:

Sir Alec

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

Bubbaloo wrote:

> Julius Edward Daniels <je...@gulf.net> wrote in article
> <6sq7ro$o...@cobia.gulf.net>...
> > and its tits-up for the porcupine
> > that would try to make off with one in their mouth
>
> I laughed my balls off when I read this part.
>
> Oh, I've found the best thing for a smelly pair of sandals is believe it or
> not soak them in white gas. Once they've been in there for about half an
> hour or so, take them out and toss a lit match on them. After that, I
> promise they will never stink again.

I just tried that on my 3 week old pair of $90.00 Tevas. I wanted to get
them ready for an upcoming canoe trip. Hey, it really really works.. However
you forgot to mention that you have to let them cool over night and then scrape
them off the driveway with a sharp metal spatula. WARNING: Only try this
procedure in a well ventilated area away from combustibles.

drake

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
the tevas will NOT burn, since what is burning is the fuel, and at its rate
of evap (extremely volatile), the fuel burns out before the tevas catch, as
well as, the burn is only a surface effect
not much white gas gets into tevas either, quite interesting.
--for a demonstration take a dollar bill soak it in rubbing alcohol and
light it... you will impress friends -- (warning do not use kerosene
ever!)
<for all skeptics>

Bubbaloo <bubb...@bubba.com> wrote in article
<01bdd87d$d8c76620$660156d1@stephen>...

eaguilr

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
I dont know why I am responding to this, but....

If you soak a bill inwhite gas and light it, you will be one buck
poorer. If you do same in rubbing alcohol, you get the results you
suggest.

The burning qualities of white gas and alcohol must be different.. BUt,
I am no chemical engineer, so I will await the sage response of one who
is as to why there is a difference.

cheers,
edwin

John Eyles

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

Sorry to bring the discussion back to the orginal topic and
off white gas immolation, but maybe this will help.

I first had the original Teva's (not sure what they
were called, Universal maybe ?) and had major stinkage
problems.

Last pair I bought was "Terraactyl". No odor problems
whatsoever. Never wash them, except occasional stream
crossing or wading in surf. I guess they figured out
some new way to de-stink the material. They are also
much more comfortable, albeit more expensive.

Bob Perkins

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
I've enjoyed this thread. However, somewhere along the way I learned that
"teva" is an alterate spelling for "stink." Somethings one just has to
live with. <<Grin>>

Bob