Possible to remove iodine taste?

Stephen Gant

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
that flavor?
--
Steve Gant
Manteca, California

David F Eisenberg

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

Crystal Lite

Michael Mysak

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96
to mdm...@mail.usask.ca

cant you just buy some iodine neutralizer tablets of the type that come
with the regular water-purifying pills? you might have to shell out some
money to get the regular pills too (at least i could only find them
packaged together) but if it kills that silly taste, then all the better,
eh?

moo-k

The preceeding was a paid political announcement brought to you by
the good folks at Mikeland*

Our motto: "When in doubt, chances are you've got gout!"

Mikeland* is pleased to use this as a shameless plug for our presence
on the World Wide Web. Mikeland* can be reached at:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1672

* Mikeland* is a trademark of Mikeland Incorporated.
All rights reserved.

Bill McDermott

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

Stephen Gant (stev...@inreach.com) wrote:
: I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
: activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
: from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
: that flavor?
: --
: Steve Gant
: Manteca, California

Get a bottle of P.A. Plus Neutralizer tablets. They go along with the
Potable Agua iodine tablets and completely remove the iodine taste and color.
Be sure to wait until the iodine can disinfect the water before
neutralizing (10-15 minutes.)

Ari Halberstadt

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

In article <01bb8640$35471360$8efb8acd@default>, "Stephen Gant"
<stev...@inreach.com> wrote:

>I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
>activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
>from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
>that flavor?

1. Tang.

2. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). This is what comes in the two-vial PolarPure
tablets.

3. Your favorite drink mix should be able to drown out the flavor.

-- Ari Halberstadt (a...@shore.net, <http://www.shore.net/~ari/>)
Computer consulting, specializing in Macintosh software development.

Ron W.

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

<stev...@inreach.com> wrote:

> I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
> activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
> from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
> that flavor?

> --
> Steve Gant
> Manteca, California

Yes, regular old vitamin C (ascorbic asid) will remove the taste (Iodine
tablets are now sold with a companion "nuetralizer"tablet, which is
nothing more than vitamin c. You will have to experiment a little to see
what fraction of a tablet you need to get rid of the concentration of
residual iodine that you have. it should not require much. Good luck!

Ron W.

Terry Waggoner

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

David F Eisenberg <Dav...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
>> activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
>> from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
>> that flavor?
>> --

Iodine aftertaste is not my fave either. Two ways I know: I bought
the 'screw on' carbon attachment for the bottom of the unit (my 2nd)
and it works almost 100%. 2nd, I put Gookinaid E.R.G. in all my water
for reasons other that iodine, but it knocks that out, also. See my
response to the posting in this group dtd 8/8, "What's Gookinade?"

Terry V. Waggoner ph. 805.582.1177
Avnet Computer, Inc. fax 805.582.1141
Financial Consultant e-mail twag...@earthlink.net

Woody Schlom

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96
to stev...@inreach.com

"Stephen Gant" <stev...@inreach.com> wrote:
>I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
>activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
>from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
>that flavor?

NO! Not really. I even tried double charcoal filtering by adding a PUR
StopTop charcoal filter and there's still iodine left. I even sent mine
(an Explorer) in for testing and PUR said it passed all their tests and
met all their standards.

If you're interested I'll dig out my letter from PUR which lists how much
residual iodine the filter leaves in the water and how much each stage of
charcoal removes.

There are things you can add to the water, like Vitamin-C, that will MASK
the iodine taste, but they don't actually REMOVE any iodine. For these
reasons I only keep my PUR Explorer for emergency use (like an earthquake
that damages the city water supply) or Third-World travel where viruses
are a problem. Here in the U.S. I'm not concerned with viral
contamination of backcountry water and use a standard SweetWater Guardian
or one of the Katadyn filters.

Apparently the residual iodine doesn't bother lots of people, but it sure
bothers me. I hate it! Apparently you do too. Unfortunately there's no
way to completely remove the residual iodine from a PUR Scout or PUR
Explorer. I think SweetWater was smarter by making their iodinated
"ViralGuard" filter stage removable. When you don't want it, you just
snap it off.

Woody Schlom
http://www.westworld.com/~woody

Theodore C. Crusberg

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

Please be warned that if you have any kind of thyroid problem you should
probably not consume water run through an iodine cartridge, even if you
remove its taste the ion (iodide) is still in solution. The solution -
bring more water or be sure that the water you pump through your filter is
very likely not to have been subject to human fecal contamination.

Stephen Gant (stev...@inreach.com) wrote:
: I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
: activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
: from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
: that flavor?

: --
: Steve Gant
: Manteca, California

Ted C. Crusberg, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology &
Biotechnology, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester MA USA 01609
Society for Industrial Microbiology-Education Committee
Phone: 508-831-5472 Fax: 508-831-5936

joe rae

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

In article <4uipt3$4...@lex.zippo.com> Woody Schlom <wo...@westworld.com> writes:
>From: Woody Schlom <wo...@westworld.com>
>Subject: Re: Possible to remove iodine taste?
>Date: 10 Aug 1996 20:02:43 GMT

>"Stephen Gant" <stev...@inreach.com> wrote:
>>I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
>>activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
>>from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
>>that flavor?

I have found that if you put a quarter slice of orange peel in you water
bottle after nutralization the peel will get rid of the iodine taste.
L8r Joe Rae

LJBraaten

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

A backcountry solution is Wood Sorrel (not sure of spelling). Slightly
crush a few plants and drop into water. (Wood sorrel is a three-leaved
clover like plant, looks like a shamrock, each leaf is distinctly heart
shaped).
** Warning: excessive use could contribute to calcium depletion for women.

Also: it is great pitch remover!

LJBr...@aol.com

"The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running."

Michael K. Tamada

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Woody Schlom <wo...@westworld.com> wrote:
>"Stephen Gant" <stev...@inreach.com> wrote:
>>I just bought Pur Scout. It has an iodinated resin cartridge and an
>>activated-carbon water bottle cap. The problem is the water as it comes
>>from the purifier tastes slightly of iodine. Is there a way to neutralize
>>that flavor?
>
>NO! Not really. I even tried double charcoal filtering by adding a PUR

[...]

>There are things you can add to the water, like Vitamin-C, that will MASK
>the iodine taste, but they don't actually REMOVE any iodine. For these

[...]

>Apparently the residual iodine doesn't bother lots of people, but it sure
>bothers me. I hate it! Apparently you do too. Unfortunately there's no

There are two issues being raised here: removing the iodine, and
removing the iodine flavor (which is what the original poster was asking
about).
Vitamin C will not remove the iodine. I am pretty sure that it
WILL chemically inactivate it (i.e. the iodine will no longer be
antiseptic), but I'll defer to those with chemical knowledge.
What the Vitamin C definitely will do is change the color of the
iodized water, from brownish to crystal clear (assuming there was
enough iodine to be visible).

And it definitely WILL remove the iodine taste!

So if you hate the residual iodine because you don't want it in
your body, the Vitamin C will do you no good (although again in fact
maybe it does chemically inactivate it). But if you hate the residual
iodine TASTE, vitamin C will do the trick.

And, as many posters have mentioned, it takes only a tiny amount of
Vitamin C. A 200 mg tablet of Vitamin C is at least 10 times more than
you need for a quart of iodized water.

--Mike Tamada
Occidental College
tam...@oxy.edu

WWWbstr

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

In article <960816.14...@cheshire.cc.oxy.edu>, tam...@oxy.edu
(Michael K. Tamada) writes:

> Vitamin C will not remove the iodine. I am pretty sure that it
>WILL chemically inactivate it (i.e. the iodine will no longer be
>antiseptic), but I'll defer to those with chemical knowledge.

Betadine lists citric acid as an inactive ingredient. Can anybody out
there comment on whether they're (partially) inactivating their iodine in
the bottle? Also, an earlier poster suggested using Betadine for water
purification; I'd love to hear comments on that.

Thanks,
Will Webster

Michael K. Tamada

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

This is pure conjecture on my part as I'm not a chemist but:
Vitamin C is ascorbic acid. The citric acid in Betadine may not have
the anti-iodine properties of ascorbic acid.

--Mike Tamada
tam...@oxy.edu

Kimberly Bryant

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96
to Michael K. Tamada

If you go to REI, they sell iodine tablets AND another type of tablet
to put in afterward. This takes away the taste and is what I use. My
friend buys just the iodin tablets, but then he makes kool-aid so he can't
taste the iodine.

Ken Ferschweiler

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Kimberly Bryant (ez04...@peseta.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
:

: If you go to REI, they sell iodine tablets AND another type of tablet

: to put in afterward. This takes away the taste and is what I use. My
: friend buys just the iodin tablets, but then he makes kool-aid so he can't
: taste the iodine.

The tablets are vitamin C. If Kool-aid has any vitamin C in it (and I
don't know whether it does or not), your friend would be well advised
to allow adequate treatment time *before* adding it to his iodized
water (as you should also do with the tablets). Note also that, for
very cold water, recommended treatment times may be quite long (8
hours).

========================
Ken Ferschweiler Internet: ken...@cs.orst.edu
Department of Computer Science
Oregon State University

Brian Liedtke

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Ken Ferschweiler wrote:

> Kimberly Bryant (ez04...@peseta.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> :
>
> : If you go to REI, they sell iodine tablets AND another type of tablet
> : to put in afterward. This takes away the taste and is what I use. My
> : friend buys just the iodin tablets, but then he makes kool-aid so he can't
> : taste the iodine.

You can filter the water through activated charcoal to remove the
iodine taste.

Brian Liedtke

Amber Laila

Feb 3, 2024, 11:18:11 PMFeb 3
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚CLICK HERE Full HD>720p>1080p>4K💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴ALL>VIDEOS>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org