Tetraglycine Hydroperoxide

richard ross

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
has anybody got any info/experience with Tetraglycine Hydroperoxide?? It's a water purifying tablet that a lot of stores are selling in place of iodine.
Usualy under the name "Aqua Pure". with the chemical name in very fine print. most people think they are buying iodine.
I don't recall seeing this mentioned in any of the FAQ's .
any help would be much apreciated.
Thanks,
Dick

Mark Scott-Nash

Mar 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/8/96

According to "Medicine for Mountaineering" this chemical is the most
stable and convienient form of iodine treatment for water. I have had
lots of experience with it all over the world. It works.

-Mark

Van Schaik Willem Anthon Johan

Mar 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/10/96
richard ross (75360...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: has anybody got any info/experience with Tetraglycine Hydroperoxide?? It's a water purifying tablet that a lot of stores are selling in place of iodine.

: Usualy under the name "Aqua Pure". with the chemical name in very fine print. most people think they are buying iodine.
: I don't recall seeing this mentioned in any of the FAQ's .
: any help would be much apreciated.
: Dick

Sorry, no answer, but a related question. I bought (and used) Micropur MT1
from Katadyn. It states "active ingredient Ag+". Well, I didn't get sick
and it was 100% tasteless. But is it also 100% proof? The stuff being
Swiss, I suppose so :-). I was very satisfied with it, but does anybody
knows how this works?

Willem

BobLeo

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
Hi-
I could not find a reference to the chemical that was stated, however, I
did find a reference to "tetraglycine hydroperiodide" in the Merck Index
11. It mentions trade names for this chemical as "Globaline" and "Potable
Aqua". Perhaps this is the chemical entity under discussion, or have I
missed something?
**** ****
"Do not preoccupy yourself with those things over which you have no
control"

David A. Van Baak

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
That should be "Tetraglycine hydroperiodide" and it's a source of
elemental iodine, used for sterilization. The Aqua Pure pill is
designed to release the right amount of elemental iodine to purify a
quart of water; the motivation for using this salt of an obscure
iodine-containing acid is that the compund is reasonably stable, and
much less prone to evaporation than pure elemental iodine. Even so Aqua
Pure recommends storing the stuff in a tightly closed container, not in
bright light, and not to count on the pills more than a year or so after
opening the bottle for the first time.

Jay Puckhaber

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96

>richard ross (75360...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
>: has anybody got any info/experience with Tetraglycine Hydroperoxide?? It's a water purifying tablet that a lot of stores are selling in place of iodine.
>: Usualy under the name "Aqua Pure". with the chemical name in very fine print. most people think they are buying iodine.
>: I don't recall seeing this mentioned in any of the FAQ's .
>: any help would be much apreciated.
>: Dick

From "Medicine for Mountaineers"

" Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide

Tablets containing tetraglycine hydroperiodide are widely sold under
the trade names Globaline (R), Potable-Aqua (R), and EDWGT(R). One
fresh tablet dissolved in a liter of water provides an iodine
concentration of 8 mg/l. The major advantage of tetraglycine
hydroperiodide tablets is their convenience. A small bottle of fifty
tablets can be carried easily. Sealed bottles can be stored for months
with little loss of iodine.
The principal disadvantage of tetraglycine hydroperiodide is its
tendency to dissociate after exposure to air. In studies to document
their stability, tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets placed in a
single layer in an open dish at 140 (degrees) F (60 degrees C) lost
forty percent of their iodine in seven days. At room temperature and
100 percent humidity, the tablets lost thirty-three percent of their
iodine in four days. Studies to determine the rate of dissociation of
tablets in a small bottle opened several times a day for one or two
weekends a month, the pattern of typical use by outdoorsmen, have not
been reported.
Because 8 mg/l of iodine produces a definite brown color, the potency
of tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets can roughly be determined.
Tightly capping and refridgerating bottles of the tablets may help
retard iodine loss, but they should probably be discarded a few months
after opening."

Later, the book suggests that some of the iodine in the iodide is not
effective for disinfection and implies that the tablets actually add
more than 8 mg/l of iodine in order to get 8 mg/l of effective iodine
in the water, thus giving the stuff such a strong taste.
Anybody read anything different into this?

Jay Puckhaber

Paul Rubin

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
In article <4ie2a7$3...@nntp.netside.com>,

Jay Puckhaber <ja...@netside.com> wrote:
> Tablets containing tetraglycine hydroperiodide are widely sold under
>the trade names Globaline (R), Potable-Aqua (R), and EDWGT(R). One
>fresh tablet dissolved in a liter of water provides an iodine
>concentration of 8 mg/l. The major advantage of tetraglycine
>hydroperiodide tablets is their convenience. A small bottle of fifty
>tablets can be carried easily. Sealed bottles can be stored for months
>with little loss of iodine.

Presumably this means bottles that have been opened, then resealed.
Is there a figure for the shelf life of bottles that have NEVER been
opened? Thanks.

muel...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 9, 2018, 2:06:40 PM4/9/18
On Thursday, March 7, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, richard ross wrote:
> has anybody got any info/experience with Tetraglycine Hydroperoxide?? It's a water purifying tablet that a lot of stores are selling in place of iodine.
> Usualy under the name "Aqua Pure". with the chemical name in very fine print. most people think they are buying iodine.
> I don't recall seeing this mentioned in any of the FAQ's .
> any help would be much apreciated.
> Thanks,
> Dick

Does it cause RUST?? I had some unopened Portable Aqua (16.7% Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide and 83.3% Other Ingredients) stored alongside/on top of disposable lighters and knives. Today I found a stack of rusty parts and the Portable Aqua with packaging intact but with a rusty lid. Never realized that to store I needed to seal withing another protective package!!! Guess I better Vacuum Seal this and any other items similar to it.

jameshi...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2018, 3:46:35 AM7/24/18
We offer personal, commercial and business loans with very minimal annual interest rates as low as 3% within 1 year to 50 years repayment duration period to any part of the world. We give out loans within the range of $5,000.00 to $100,000,000.00 . Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority. Interested persons should contact me via E-mail below.

Lender's Email: sloans...@gmail.com
Phone#: +1-254-242-0879

Cheryl CHO2

Jan 5, 2021, 2:01:58 AM1/5/21
Thank you for posting this information. I hope you are well, and your family - some time has passed since your post, but I am most grateful for it.
Have a healthy 2021!