Coleman camp stove questions

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Hello,
My family car camps and uses an old Coleman two burner white gas
stove for our cooking. It has two problems, one: the leather gasket in
the pump needs constant reoiling and two: it leaks fuel.

We live about 40 miles west of Chicago. Any suggestions for
where we could buy some spare parts, either within driving distances
or a mail order shop that has /quick/ service?

The generator is the only thing that comes to my mind for the
leaking but I though I had recently replaced that. (I haven't gotten
it out yet for the summer, so I haven't had a chance to look at it and
refresh my memory). If it isn't the generator does anybody have any
other suggestions? My recollection is that it mostly leaked just after
being turned off but even sitting in the back of the van it leaks a little,
enough to smell.

The other possibility is to buy a new stove. The problem is that
this is a 1960's model and my wife does not want to deal with the
dinky compact stoves she can find around here (DeKalb). While we
were travelling earlier this summer she saw a dual fuel model which
she thought was bigger. Can anyone confirm that it is a bit bigger?
And again any recommendations for stores in our area that would carry it?

Robert Morphis
mor...@Physics.niu.edu

John Holladay

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I moved to a two burner Coleman propane and really like it.

JNH

VWBugfarm

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I found a used Coleman 2 burner of the large size at a pawn shop for $5 with
out a generator. Bouhgt one of those propane converter thingies, worked
good, then bought one of those hose adapters for a 5gal bottle works great.
6...@prodigy.net <6...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
<7mm1jr$2n2u$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...
>My local Walmart has some nice Coleman, duel fuel two burner jobs....
>they look the same size as I remember my old Coleman being, but that
>was years ago.

Frank Schmidt

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Robert:
You have several ways to go, The pump leather is replaceable and the new
ones are no longer leather. Do not need the care of the older type
especially after it is worn . The leak is difficult to tell about ,from what
you describe.
1. Worn shut off valve seat.
2. Pump check valve
3.Worn filler cap gasket, if the cap has a screw in the center on the
outside, check the gasket on the seal, could be missing.
4. Pin hole in the tank.
My guess is # 1. All of the parts are available from Coleman and can be
ordered over the phone, 1-800-835-3276 gets you the Consumer Service people.
You might ask about having you stove over hauled, very moderate fee, you pay
the shipping.
Your wife is right, The 2 burner stoves both Dual Fuel and Coleman Fuel
models come in 2 sizes.

--
fts
<mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu> wrote in message

Mike Whittington

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
> My family car camps and uses an old Coleman two burner white gas
> stove for our cooking. It has two problems, one: the leather gasket in
> the pump needs constant reoiling and two: it leaks fuel.

After 25 years of faithful service my old Coleman 2-burner (probably just
like yours) finally gave up the ghost. I had replaced the generator and
leather washer a couple of times through the years, and was prepared to do
it again; but, the seam around the gas tank rusted and it started leaking
fuel. I was afraid to use it any longer so I purchased a brand new stove to
replace the old one. I was disappointed to find that the newer model wasn't
half the stove the old one was, so I ended up taking the new tank/generator
and using it with the old stove (body.)

After a few years, I got tired of seeing that brand new stove body sitting
on a shelf in the garage, so I purchased an "American Camper" propane
adapter at K-mart ($20-$30) to use with the new stove (body.) I tried it
out one weekend, and, I'm now sold on the convenience of propane. I
packed-up the new stove body along with the new tank/generator and sold them
in a yard sale - - I'm now using my trusty old stove with that newfangled
propane adapter thingy and just couldn't be more pleased with it. I'd
recommend switching to propane unless you have a strong preference for using
gasoline.

If you're looking for repair parts for your old stove, check your sporting
goods stores. Look to the mom & pop stores - - the big chain retailers
would rather sell you a new stove for $90 than a $20 replacement part. You
can make your own leather washer to replace the worn-out one. You can also
buy a new "insert" to replace the whole pump if needed. I once purchased a
valve/generator assembly but I haven't seen one in years. I know you can
find just the generator (without the valve) most anywhere. If your fuel
tank is leaking around the seam like mine was, you need to replace the whole
thing.

Or, you can try emailing Coleman (http://www.coleman.com). . . and tell 'em
Mikey sent ya!

Mikey
http://mikew.home.mindspring.com/backpack/backpack.htm

6...@prodigy.net

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
My local Walmart has some nice Coleman, duel fuel two burner jobs....
they look the same size as I remember my old Coleman being, but that
was years ago.

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:

>Hello,

> My family car camps and uses an old Coleman two burner white gas
>stove for our cooking. It has two problems, one: the leather gasket in
>the pump needs constant reoiling and two: it leaks fuel.

> We live about 40 miles west of Chicago. Any suggestions for

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
"Frank Schmidt" <f_sc...@email.msn.com> writes:
>Robert:
>You have several ways to go, The pump leather is replaceable and the new
>ones are no longer leather. Do not need the care of the older type
>especially after it is worn . The leak is difficult to tell about ,from what
>you describe.
>1. Worn shut off valve seat.

How would I check this?

>2. Pump check valve

If I don't turn the valve it holds rock hard against attempts to pump,
so I don't think this is the problem this time.

>3.Worn filler cap gasket, if the cap has a screw in the center on the
>outside, check the gasket on the seal, could be missing.

What is the gasket made of?

>4. Pin hole in the tank.

hmmmm.

>My guess is # 1. All of the parts are available from Coleman and can be
>ordered over the phone, 1-800-835-3276 gets you the Consumer Service people.
>You might ask about having you stove over hauled, very moderate fee, you pay
>the shipping.
>Your wife is right, The 2 burner stoves both Dual Fuel and Coleman Fuel
>models come in 2 sizes.

Thanks for the input.
Robert

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
John Holladay <J...@ti.com> writes:
>I moved to a two burner Coleman propane and really like it.
>
>JNH

My thanks to all who have made suggestions, the above has been suggested
by a few posters so...

Anybody care to discuss the pros and cons of propane vs. white gas?
and esp. the converter kits for the old coleman stoves?

MKloepster

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:
>Anybody care to discuss the pros and cons of propane vs. white gas?
>and esp. the converter kits for the old coleman stoves?

Well, if you're car camping, propane is preferable to white gas in terms of
absolute convenience. Besides, you can use the same tank to run a lantern as
well as your stove.

If you need to get in touch, just remove what doesn't belong in my address

Ed Huesers

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
to mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
Robert,
As no one else has touched on this, I will comment, and maybe it can
help some of the other people out there also.
When you start your stove, if the generator tube is not hot enough,
it will spew liquid gas. You cannot see this as it only goes into what
we refer to as the "goose neck", the sheet metal part that the generator
tube sticks into. This gas will sit in there and evaporate very slowly.
If the goose neck has a little flame coming out of it and your stove
stinks a little, this is your problem.
We discovered this while we were in our snow cave and the stove was
doing this to us. For some reason [I think we were going to carry it out
side] we lifted the stove and happened to tip it. The gas in the goose
neck came out and got into the stove itself and started to burn [a flare
up].
The way we overcame this was to pour a little gas on the burner under
the generator. The burner has a little depression and will hold a little
gas. If you over fill this, the gas will soak into the burner head holes
and this is no problem. When you light and burn this gas it preheats the
generator.
We let the gas on the burner nearly burn out before going through the
regular start up procedure.
This really helps us because we use snow caves and the temps are cold
and also we are at high altitudes. Both the cold and lack of oxygen make
it hard to start a Coleman white gas stove.
Hope this helps all.
Ed Huesers
http://atlas.csd.net/~gmenge//icebox

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
mkloe...@aol.compost.bin (MKloepster) writes:
>mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:

>>Anybody care to discuss the pros and cons of propane vs. white gas?
>>and esp. the converter kits for the old coleman stoves?
>>

>Well, if you're car camping, propane is preferable to white gas in terms of
>absolute convenience.

Why?

(please answer first and then read/ignore the rest of my post :-)

>Besides, you can use the same tank to run a lantern as
>well as your stove.

Fie on you! And all who profane the wilderness (or state parks) with
Propane lanterns!

Uh, sorry about that, reflex action.

Mostly, as long as there are some woods or a couple of campsites I don't
really care, but last summer I was trying to walk my little boy to sleep
and doing that was problematic with all the lanterns set at max output
(Can they be set at lower settings?).

Aesthetically I don't understand leaving them on while you are sitting
around the campfire, but such is life.

Peace,
Robert

RodWriter

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99

As far as car camping goes, a gasoline powered Coleman lantern will burn for a
fraction of the cost of propane. I was appalled when I looked at the price of a
propane cylinder in a local store and realized its burn time was less than
quart of Coleman fuel in my lantern.

--Rod

dan stephens

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
i have used the converter kit on a white gas stove and offer you the
following. yes the converter allows you to use propane. the catch is that
it is hard to control the amount of heat while cooking. it seems you always
get to much or to little gas to the burner. i found control of propane to
the burner to be sooooooo much better on a stove designed to run on propane.
i also purchased a small refillable 5 pound propane bottle that travels
pretty easy most everywhere i car camp. for longer trips i use a 20 pound
bottle with a propane tree with hoses and attach a small grill, the gas
stove and a lantern to the same 20 pound bottle. refillable bulk tanks (5
or 20 pound bottles) have saved me a small fortune when you consider the
price of non-refillable 1 pound bottles that just end up in the city dump.

dan stephens, outdoorsman
eagle scout class of 79

Dennis Breeden

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
Most K-Marts and Wal-Marts as well as most larger campgrounds carry simple
replacement parts. The leather pump gasket should be one of them. As for
leaks, try changing the filler cap, the rubber, as well as the ancient leather
ones, were out, this is normally a stock item also. Also, in Oakbrook, Ill,
there is a REI, a GREAT camping place!!

john carlson

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
Have you tried contacting Coleman directly to see if either they sell
parts by mail or they can suggest a dealer? They probably have a web
site or an 800 number or both.

On 15 Jul 1999 15:38:07 GMT, mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:

>Hello,
> My family car camps and uses an old Coleman two burner white gas
>stove for our cooking. It has two problems, one: the leather gasket in
>the pump needs constant reoiling and two: it leaks fuel.

MKloepster

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:
>mkloe...@aol.compost.bin (MKloepster) writes:
>>mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:
>
>>>Anybody care to discuss the pros and cons of propane vs. white gas?
>>>and esp. the converter kits for the old coleman stoves?
>>>

>>Well, if you're car camping, propane is preferable to white gas in terms of
>>absolute convenience.
>
>Why?

Step 1:turn valve to "on."
Step 2:light & use until done.
Pretty simple. No pumping, spilling, need to depressurize, etc. . . .

>(please answer first and then read/ignore the rest of my post :-)

I can't ignore it--because I totally agree with you! I only referred to the
use of lanterns from the theoretical standpoint (I use neither lanterns nor
developed campground). It was just another benefit, however dubious, of using
propane while car camping. :-)
Cheers.

Hannah Family

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99

Dna Dan

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote in article
<7mo68l$g5b$3...@husk.cso.niu.edu>...

> Mostly, as long as there are some woods or a couple of campsites I don't
> really care, but last summer I was trying to walk my little boy to sleep
> and doing that was problematic with all the lanterns set at max output
> (Can they be set at lower settings?).

What does that have to do with propane, tho. The gas lanterns are at least
as bright, I think brighter, until the pressure goes down (then someone has
to get up, stagger over to the lantern, pump it up, rehang it [assuming
they didn't break it], and stagger back to their drinking).

Neither kind is particularly adjustable.

We are Americans, tho, and convenience is a right!

FYI, I use propane when car camping because the small additional cost can
usually be made up for with shopping sales. White gas never goes on sale,
but propane cylinders are often used as loss leaders at places I already
shop around here! The actual cost is high, but I do more backpacking than
car camping!

Yes, I know I'm just rationalizing...

> Peace,
> Robert

Ken

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
I went dual fuel (white gas or unleaded gas) for all my camping
appliances: 2-burner camp stove, backpack stove and backack lantern.

Gasoline is lighter (per hour of operation) than propane with the
container considered. I think it was about half the weight. It was
also cheaper. If I recall, about 1/4 the cost.

If the appliances operate properly, which is usually the case,
gasoline is no problem.

Although I paid more for dual fuel, I use white gas, rather than
unleaded because it is less toxic and has little odor. I wanted dual
fuel to be able to use unleaded if white gas was not obtainable.
Might never happen, but for $8 an appliance, I thought it was worth
it.

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

VLabella

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
Costco has propane 16 oz. 6 for $10

mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
"Hannah Family" <kha...@pyramid.net> writes:
>mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote in article

>> Mostly, as long as there are some woods or a couple of campsites I don't
>> really care, but last summer I was trying to walk my little boy to sleep
>> and doing that was problematic with all the lanterns set at max output

>What does that have to do with propane, tho.

Exclusively? Nothing, just venting.

>We are Americans, tho, and convenience is a right!

<heh> Ain't that the truth.

Robert

shamb...@my-deja.com

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
This is great info, Dan! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has some
concern for saving the environment from unnecessary landfill. I
recently bought a white gas stove because I thought propane was was too
expensive and wasteful, but now that you mention the refillable propane
tanks, I am reconsidering. WHere do you get those? And where do you
refill them?

Thanks,

Amy

In article <#poCHx#z#GA.281@cpmsnbbsa03>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

shamb...@my-deja.com

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
In article <3791b9f...@news.optonline.net>,

cprst...@optonline.net (Ken) wrote:
> I went dual fuel (white gas or unleaded gas) for all my camping
> appliances: 2-burner camp stove, backpack stove and backack lantern.

Ken - Did you convert or buy appliances that had that built in?

Also, when you backpack, what do you think is a safe way to carry the
fuel?

Amy

> Gasoline is lighter (per hour of operation) than propane with the
> container considered. I think it was about half the weight. It was
> also cheaper. If I recall, about 1/4 the cost.
>
> If the appliances operate properly, which is usually the case,
> gasoline is no problem.
>
> Although I paid more for dual fuel, I use white gas, rather than
> unleaded because it is less toxic and has little odor. I wanted dual
> fuel to be able to use unleaded if white gas was not obtainable.
> Might never happen, but for $8 an appliance, I thought it was worth
> it.
>
> Ken
> (to reply via email
> remove "zz" from address)

Gary S.

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:47:59 GMT, shamb...@my-deja.com wrote:

>This is great info, Dan! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has some
>concern for saving the environment from unnecessary landfill. I
>recently bought a white gas stove because I thought propane was was too
>expensive and wasteful, but now that you mention the refillable propane
>tanks, I am reconsidering. WHere do you get those? And where do you
>refill them?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Amy

The refillable propane tanks come in 5 lb, 11 lb, and 20 lb (the size
in a backyard gas grill). Camping and RV stores sell them, but you
will also find them at many hardware stores. Maybe not in a city
proper, but in most suburbs and rural areas, there are places that
will fill them for you. Look in the Yellow pages for propane or gas
grill supplies. Some convenience stores have a set up where you swap
your empty tank for their full tank, which is faster.

The cost is a small fraction of what the same propane costs in
disposable cylinders, so you can be environmental and frugal at the
same time. The cost per BTU is lower than every processed fuel except
natural gas piped to your home.

Happy trails,
Gary
Beware of enterprises which require new clothes. HDT

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

bel...@foshay.citilink.com

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
"Mike Whittington" <mwhitt...@home.com> writes:

>in a yard sale - - I'm now using my trusty old stove with that newfangled
>propane adapter thingy and just couldn't be more pleased with it. I'd
>recommend switching to propane unless you have a strong preference for using
>gasoline.

The problem with propane is the 1# cylinders don't work in the cold. The
Boy scout troop I help lead camps out regularly when temps fall below 32F.

The propane would barely come out of the cylinders. We switched to white
gas and haven't looked back. White gas works at any temperature.

Brian

Ken

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
I bought them as dual fuel. I carry my fuel in Apex II aluminum
bottles.

Ken

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
More on carrying fuel. I would not recommend this to others, but I
also routinely use plastic discarded 10-w-40 oil bottles to hold
gasoline, especially for use with weedwackers (20:1) and outboard
motors (50:1). In 10 years never a leak.

Bill

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Propane=HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I hate that hissing sound. Give me the white gas. Just bought a new
white gas latern. We camp app 10 nights a month in the summer and only
used a gallon of the stuff last summer and we have a white gas stove.
Bill

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:05:09 GMT, abc__...@hotmail.com (adam bailey)
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 02:26:23 GMT in <news:rec.backcountry>
>bel...@foshay.citilink.com () wrote:
>
>=>"Mike Whittington" <mwhitt...@home.com> writes:
>=>
>=>>in a yard sale - - I'm now using my trusty old stove with that newfangled
>=>>propane adapter thingy and just couldn't be more pleased with it. I'd
>=>>recommend switching to propane unless you have a strong preference for using
>=>>gasoline.
>=>
>=>The problem with propane is the 1# cylinders don't work in the cold. The
>=>Boy scout troop I help lead camps out regularly when temps fall below 32F.
>=>
>=>The propane would barely come out of the cylinders. We switched to white
>=>gas and haven't looked back. White gas works at any temperature.
>
>_Propane_ works well even when it's freezing, _butane_ does not. I have
>used butane/propane mix (available from Coleman, Primus and others) with
>backpacking stoves (mostly made by Primus) in temperatures well below 32
>degrees F for years with out any problems.

I'd rather be camping in my
1980 Jayco Cardinal 8

Jerry Richards

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Unless you're using some other kind of propane, or you position the tank
close to the heat source to warm it, I can't see how propane works very well
in cold weather below 32F. I believe the propane/butane mixtures were
designed to help alleviate the problems of cold flow in propane stoves.

On a windless day with full sun to help warm the tank I can understand
propane working down to some degree below 32F. Other than that, white gas is
my choice of fuels.

jr

Jerry Richards

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Well I guess it depends on how you define " well below 32 degrees F". To
some even -15F is considered to be a warm day!

You ever tried to get a good efficient flame from a 3/4 empty propane
cylinder in really ( I mean really ) cold weather?

I get it, the ScoutMaster was hallucinating, right? (NOT)

And I must have been too, right? (NOT)

And yes, I have tried propane at "well below"-15F. Thats why I switched to
Naptha and a little preheating paste. Cause it worked for me.

I would offer to suggest you define *your* "well below" before you judge
another.

Peace Y

jr

VLabella

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
whats pre-heating gel

Ian Burton

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
OK, I think I can add to this. For the first 18 years of my life, I
lived in a house in North Central BC and all we had for lights and
cooking was a propane system with the tanks outside. Temps regularly
fell to -40 (40 below) and we never had any problem with the propane
boiling our water or heating our bathtub or running our lights. Is it
possible you were experiencing a problme with an ice blocked orifice?

Chris Townsend

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <3797536c....@nntpserver.swip.net>, adam bailey
<abc__...@hotmail.com> writes
>On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:33:54 -0230 in <news:rec.backcountry> "Jerry
>Richards" <fir...@nospamroadrunner.nf.net> wrote:
>
>=>Well I guess it depends on how you define " well below 32 degrees F". To
>=>some even -15F is considered to be a warm day!
>=>
>
>=>I would offer to suggest you define *your* "well below" before you judge
>=>another.
>
>Well below as in -10C to -15C which is about as cold as it ever gets
>around where I live.

Which is +5 to +12 Fahrenheit. -15F is -26C. That's a big difference.
I've found butane/propane mixes work okay down to -5C/+22 in basic
stoves. Using Coleman's Xtreme stoves I'm happy using butane/propane
down to -15C/+5F. However when I've used butane/propane at -20 to -25C
(-5 to -14F) I've had to warm the cartridges with my hands to get more
than a feeble flame. And maintaining a flame adequate to boil water was
very difficult. I wouldn't do it again by choice. I've also used white
gas and kerosene at such low temperatures and it works well.

This was all at low altitudes (below 7,000 feet). At high altitudes,
especially above 20,000 feet, butane/propane is meant to work much
better in cold temperatures due to the lower air pressure. I have no
experience of this myself but Himalayan mountaineers have used butane
and butane/propane stoves for years with success.

I now usually use butane/propane when I don't expect temperatures below
-10C/+12F, white gas/kerosene when it could be colder.
- -

Chris Townsend.
Mountain & Wilderness Writing & Photography.

http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk
http://www.redstart.net/Chris_Townsend/index.html

Jerry Richards

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Funny, but I've never considered it might be an icing problem. It could have
also been that the gas didn't go through a preheating stage before burning.
The stove is still stored, and I might just dig it from the box and give it
thourough check. If the problem can be corrected then it might make a good
donatable item to a local kids group.
Pert of the reason it was so easy to "give up" on the stove was because it
worked with those screw on disposable cylinders. I also purchased a small
propane heater for use in a small cabin. (yet another donatable?)

Your post appears to result in a positive outcome.

Thank-you

ed huesers

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Ian,
I think I can back you up here also. I was raised in N.D. and the
temperatures always got down to -30 and -40 on occasion. When it was the
-40 temps, there would be news of some place in MN that had problems
with propane. They must have went below -40 and found that magic temp.
I think it was International Falls MN and the temps get to -50 at
least every 10 years.
Ed Huesers
http://atlas.csd.net/~gmenge//icebox

Padlin

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Best tip I've gotten in months. I've been trying to measure and ,mix a
1/2 gallon in a 21/2 gallon jug for years.
Bob

dan stephens

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
yep......concur. i found them at some sporting goods stores and have also
seen them at some rv centers. check the phone yellow pages for the propane.
many companies sell it. you can also find it sold at some rv campgrounds.
hope this helps.

dan stephens

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
hey jerry,
if you've given up on that propane stove that attaches to the one pound
bottles send it my way. our scout troop would be glad to take it off your
hands. i'll put a hose on it and connect it to a bulk tank. i've never had
problems with the bulk tanks i've used.

dan stephens, outdoorsman
eagle class of 79

Jerry Richards

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
I'd like to do that Dan, but then I'd be inviting a "icy" reprimand from my
daughter. Shortly after reading my post she was quite adamant about donating
it to a volunteer organization that gifted her with two years of winter
survival training. She was quite clear that if I did otherwise I'd get (in
her words), "A swift kick in the orfice".
Though tempted, I am not about to draw up the rules of engagment. A backpack
is one thing, but no smart person wants a 100+lb daughter on their back! :^)

sorry

jr

John Jenkins

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:38:28 GMT, capt....@startrekmail.com (Bill)
wrote:

>Propane=HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>I hate that hissing sound. Give me the white gas. Just bought a new
>white gas latern. We camp app 10 nights a month in the summer and only
>used a gallon of the stuff last summer and we have a white gas stove.

You won't have much of a hiss when you use a regulated stove. They
sound just like your home stove and are just as convenient.

Chris

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
The reason stoves using compressed hydrocarbons (Propane, Butane, Isobutane)
have a reduced efficiency at cold temps is due to their relative boiling
points. These stoves don't burn the liquid fuel in the canister, but they
burn the vapor. The vapor is present because the hydrocarbons in the
canister boil at a very low temperature. As the temperature drops and the
boiling point of the hydrocarbon is approaced the vapor pressure is reduced,
eventually to zero when the boiling point is reaced. When there is no more
vapor pressure in the canister the stove ceases to function (because all the
fuel is locked up as a liquid).

The following hydorcarbons commonly used as stove fuels have the following
boiling points. Theoretically, the stove would cease to function at this
temp, but in real life the stove's usefulness is reduced before the
temperature is reached (partially because as the gas leaves the canister, it
is forced through a small opening which lowers the temp even more):
Propane - (-42.1C) / (-43.8F)
Isobutane - (-11.7C ) / 10.94F
Butane - (-0.5C) / 31.1F

Stove performance can be increased by warming the canister in cold temps.
You can put the cansister in water, which will increase the temp to 32F, or
use special chemical heat packs used to warm canisters.

Hope this helped a little. Have a good day.

Chris

Jerry Richards <fir...@nospamroadrunner.nf.net> wrote in message

a_unique_name

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Or a new pump leather and a gasket for the leak?

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:44:47 GMT, expl...@voyager.org (John Jenkins)
wrote:

>On 15 Jul 1999 15:38:07 GMT, mor...@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>> My family car camps and uses an old Coleman two burner white gas
>>stove for our cooking. It has two problems, one: the leather gasket in
>>the pump needs constant reoiling and two: it leaks fuel.
>
>How about a Coleman two or three burner propane stove?

patrickatcyberhighwaydotnet

admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost ro...@mailloop.com

Rocky Clark

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
I use a Coleman 3 burner dual fuel camp stove that I have been using
for 5 years now. I normally have large groups when I go camping and the
3 burner model is a life saver if it is raining and cooking over the
camp fire is next to impossible. (We had 19 people at camp over the 4th
of July week) I think you can still get this model, and I have never had
a problem with it leaking gas or fumes.
Another nice thing is that you can use white gas or unleaded gas in it.
With white gas at about $5.00 per gallon and unleaded at $1.25 per
gallon the cost of running it with unleaded is a lot lower than white
gas and a WHOLE lot lower than propane at $3.00 a 1 lb. cylinder.

Happy camping,
Rocky Clark
--
"I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him."
- Booker T. Washington -

Come check out my web site at
http://unnet.com/homepages/rclark/index.htm
Lots of great links and tips on camping, hunting and fishing in the
state of Michigan. Let me know what you think about it, all comments are
welcome!

ICQ# 388305 - handle, Fastpitch

Jeff Cohen

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
OK, even to me this seems like a silly question but...
Is there some sort of secret to pouring white gas/coleman fuel out of
the gallon size rectangular cans without splashing and splurting all
over the place?
--

Jeff Cohen

Mike

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
This works for all cans w/o vent holes. Turn the can around so that the
spout is at the highest point. Steady the can a moment to allow the fuel
the settle down, then pour slowly. After the can becomes half empty or so
you can turn it back around to a more *natural* position. A small funnel
will help with your aim.

Mike

Glenn Stauffer

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Jeff Cohen wrote:

> OK, even to me this seems like a silly question but...
> Is there some sort of secret to pouring white gas/coleman fuel out of
> the gallon size rectangular cans without splashing and splurting all
> over the place?

> --
>
> Jeff Cohen

Use a funnel and pour toward the side of the can opposite the spout.
Coleman used to sell a nice metal funnel with a felt filter; sure wish I
could find mine.

VLabella

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
>a WHOLE lot lower than propane at $3.00 a 1 lb. cylinder.

Costco has a 6 pack of 16 oz propane $10.

http://members.aol.com/vlabella/bob.html
http://members.aol.com/vlabella/72hour_list.htm

Bill

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
On 4 Aug 1999 13:50:20 GMT, Jeff Cohen <JCo...@CCS.carleton.ca> wrote:

>OK, even to me this seems like a silly question but...
>Is there some sort of secret to pouring white gas/coleman fuel out of
>the gallon size rectangular cans without splashing and splurting all
>over the place?
>--
>
> Jeff Cohen

Yes there is, Buy a funnel, not being smart that is just what I
learned
Bill

I'd rather be camping in my
1980 Jayco Cardinal 8

http://communities.msn.com/chat/chatroom.asp?rm=%23Camping1&rhx=&cat=SP
Please join me in #camping1 chat. I am the camping_fool

Soldierman

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

Glenn Stauffer wrote:

> Jeff Cohen wrote:
>
> > OK, even to me this seems like a silly question but...
> > Is there some sort of secret to pouring white gas/coleman fuel out of
> > the gallon size rectangular cans without splashing and splurting all
> > over the place?
> > --
> >
> > Jeff Cohen
>

> Use a funnel and pour toward the side of the can opposite the spout.
> Coleman used to sell a nice metal funnel with a felt filter; sure wish I
> could find mine.

Those metal funnels can still be found if you really want one. Of course
eBay.com

THOMAS SISCO

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
i have been useing regular gas for years ,its much cheaper

Rocky Mountain Rawhide

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
yes coleman has a freebie that works great inside their stoves

:::::::::户�*碻长炒`*:户�::::::::
Rocky Mountain Rawhide
:::::::::户�*碻长炒`*:户�::::::::

"Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

Rocky Clark

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
You pour the fuel with the opening toward you (at the top) into a small
funnel. coleman has one that is anti-overflow model. It has a cloth
filter and came with the camp stove. I liked it so much that I bought
another in case I lost one.

Happy camping,
Rocky

tgb

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Jeff Cohen wrote:

> OK, even to me this seems like a silly question but...
> Is there some sort of secret to pouring white gas/coleman fuel out of
> the gallon size rectangular cans without splashing and splurting all
> over the place?

One poster mentioned the idea of pouring when the spout is at the upper
end of the top of the can and it works fair; it lets air into the can
and so smooths the flow. But it's still kinda awkward. Yet another
obvious idea is to transfer the gas to some other container like a Sig
bottle, then to make it even easier yet Sig makes a special screw top
that you just loosen and it has a little spout on it that works nice.
Actually, perhaps the best solution, though one feels a bit taken by
using it because I think Coleman designs these cans so as to sell it, is
a nifty screw spout Coleman sells itself that screws onto those gallon
cans. It's a spring-loaded thing that doesn't spill, and when you insert
the spout into your stove tank or whatever you push down and it lets the
gas flow out. Works pretty well, though I prefer the Sigg solution.
At any rate, there's some ideas.

tgb

A Unique Name

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Use the filter funnel. You should filter it no matter what.

On 4 Aug 1999 13:50:20 GMT, Jeff Cohen <JCo...@CCS.carleton.ca> wrote:

>OK, even to me this seems like a silly question but...
>Is there some sort of secret to pouring white gas/coleman fuel out of
>the gallon size rectangular cans without splashing and splurting all
>over the place?

>--
>
> Jeff Cohen

ed huesers

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
to A Unique Name
Unique,
I used to have a funnel without a filter for years and used Coleman
Fuel only. I never had a problem and we did abuse the stove, leaving it
out in the weather and such.
Then lately I bought another because I had a need for two stoves at
different places. The new funnel had a filter and I figured, why not use
it? At first I thought it was a pain because it always held a little
fuel and would drip when you took it out of the tank. Then one time as I
was wondering where I should let this fuel drip. I realized that I could
let it drip on the burner under the generator tube and use it to preheat
the stove [generator] and ever since, I like the filter. It can't hurt
though and it does have this benefit also.
Ed Huesers
http://atlas.csd.net/~gmenge//icebox

Russell Passwaters

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Asking about the Coleman propane lantern lense.
I have bought two of the Coleman lanterns. On the first usage of both
lanterns, the glass lense has cracked. Has anyone experienced this?

Please respond.

ed huesers

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
to Russell Passwaters
Russell,
It happened to me once when rain came in real fast and all of a
sudden enough water hit the globe to cause a thermal shock to the glass.
It only cracked, not shattered.
If you don't have the lantern roaring and the rain comes on slowly
and cools the globe with a drizzle, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Ed Huesers
http://atlas.csd.net/~gmenge//icebox

KKJ8M

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
get a funnell and stay out of the wind. even then it's easy to spill some

Jerry Richards

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
Or you can invest in a few Nalgene fuel bottles. For convenience I purchased
four of them. The 500mL (16oz) containers come with a nice spout that can be
stowed inside the top of the bottle with the cap in place. The spout has a
tiny hole that you can cover with you finger as you pour to regulate flow
and better prevent spills. Other than that the bottles are very sturdy.

jr