Re: UK Hydrogen gas plane

Byker

Sep 26, 2020, 7:40:19 PM9/26/20
"Blue" wrote in message news:ht83bb...@mid.individual.net...

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iwkTbgU5iA
>
> https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/25/hydrogen-powered-passenger-plane-completes-maiden-flight.html

Another example of how energy-in doesn't equal energy-out. Fossil fuels will
still be required to produce the energy needed to separate the hydrogen from
the oxygen...

JNugent

Sep 26, 2020, 9:38:39 PM9/26/20
...unless it is powered by nuclear energy?

Byker

Sep 26, 2020, 10:04:05 PM9/26/20
"JNugent" wrote in message news:hta8ou...@mid.individual.net...
Some years ago an airline spokesman said. "Our planes would LOVE to fly on
hydrogen. Trouble is, a large airport like LAX would require TWO San
Onofre-sized nuclear power plants to supply the needed electricity to
condense gaseous hydrogen into LH."

JNugent

Sep 26, 2020, 11:04:57 PM9/26/20
If that's what it takes...

You get nothing for nothing.

A. Filip

Sep 27, 2020, 6:12:15 AM9/27/20
Not necessarily.

"Icelands" may produce geothermal electricity and export hydrogen
(pipeline) or electricity (DC cable) to UK.
Other countries may invest in cheaper hydroelectricity with
smaller/cheaper dams thanks to switching from producing electricity
"exactly when demanded" to "when seasonal water flow is high" and
storing hydrogen for much later use.
Current huge energy storage equalise daily usage [A].
Hydrogen tanss (like CNG tanks) may equalise *seasonal* usage,

A usual difference between "may be possible" and "economically
(reasonable) cost effective" is crucial.

BTW AFAIR US created atom powered (test) plane [B]
Have you seen it in "normal" use? :-)

[A} https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity
[B] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

--
A. Filip
| Assembly language experience is [important] for the maturity and
| understanding of how computers work that it provides. (D. Gries)

Byker

Sep 27, 2020, 5:31:01 PM9/27/20
"A. Filip" wrote in message news:anfi+jli87...@wp.eu...

> BTW AFAIR US created atom powered (test) plane [B]
> Have you seen it in "normal" use? :-)

Chances are you will eventually, but not in passenger service. It'll be
similar to Project Pluto where the ground below would be lethally
irradiated, along with a sonic shock wave guaranteed to kill everything
underneath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXoRg4CJ6kU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4LR-EJazdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHONQAMV48

We could always pick up where we left off sixty years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zYXIXexOM

What better way to depopulate Afghanistan or any other
death-to-the-great-Satan shithole than with a cruise missile in permanent
"orbit" inside the country going around and around, gradually stripping away
the population like an apple being peeled. After the last of the ragheads
are gone, you could always crash it in Pakiland, on Taliban turf.

Trivia: When I first heard of Project Pluto, it reminded me of a sci-fi
flick from the 1950s that I had watched many times:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CUkynF5L8

Feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPJEEAv6rw

Its uncanny resemblance to Pluto had my attention riveted. Naturally, this
being during the Cold War, the Russkies get the blame for knocking the
missile off-course...