Logging Hours is NOT compensation

fran...@max.u.washington.edu

Feb 6, 1990, 2:13:09 PM2/6/90
In article <1990Feb6.0...@i88.isc.com>, rmi...@i88.isc.com (Richard J. Miller) writes:
> In article <1990Feb3.0...@oresoft.uu.net> ric...@oresoft.uu.net (Richard Johnson) writes:
>>Is the act of simply logging hours "compensation" for a service?
>>Is it "[holding out for] hire"?
>>
> According to FAA's General Aviation Staff, it is considered
> "compensation" when the accumulation of flight time is of direct benefit
> to the pilot, and that benefit has monetary value.
>
> an example points out the classic case of someone who tows
> gliders for a club to build time toward a higher rating as being a case
> that comes under this interpretation. the higher rating is deemed to
> have monetary value, and hence, is compensation. the text also notes that
> case by case study is required before making any definitive statement.

In that case, don't tell anyone that I've logged every hour I've flown since my
private checkride, often with with passengers, with every intention of going
acting as pilot in command as a private pilot. me for receiving compensation for

JUST WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!?

-Larry
(CFI: To be, or not
to be? That is the
question. Maybe not.)
- Larry L. Fransson UW Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics -
- fran...@max.u.washington.edu -

fran...@max.u.washington.edu

Feb 6, 1990, 2:22:41 PM2/6/90
In article <13210.2...@max.u.washington.edu>, fran...@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> In article <1990Feb6.0...@i88.isc.com>, rmi...@i88.isc.com (Richard J. Miller) writes:
>> In article <1990Feb3.0...@oresoft.uu.net> ric...@oresoft.uu.net (Richard Johnson) writes:
>>>Is the act of simply logging hours "compensation" for a service?
>>>Is it "[holding out for] hire"?
>>>
>> According to FAA's General Aviation Staff, it is considered
>> "compensation" when the accumulation of flight time is of direct benefit
>> to the pilot, and that benefit has monetary value.
>>
>> an example points out the classic case of someone who tows
>> gliders for a club to build time toward a higher rating as being a case
>> that comes under this interpretation. the higher rating is deemed to
>> have monetary value, and hence, is compensation. the text also notes that
>> case by case study is required before making any definitive statement.

In that case, don't tell anyone that I've logged every hour I've flown since
for my commercial...they'll bust me for receiving compensation for acting as
pilot in commanc as a private pilot.ivate pilot. me for receiving compensation for

JUST WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!?

-Larry
(CFI: To be, or not
to be? That is the