Has anyone seen an unretouched photo of this event?

Byker

Jul 16, 2020, 12:21:35 AM7/16/20
Those who are familiar with the 1952 Farnborough air disaster undoubtedly
have seen this pic, but something is missing, namely a crewman's leg.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRbbyhyW0AA7EdV.png

I first saw it while looking through old "Life" magazines from the 40s and
50s back in high school c.1968. The pic had arrows and numbers pointing to
individual parts of the disintegrating aircraft ("#1, instrument panel, #2,
oxygen mask hose," etc.), and one was pointed at "crew member's leg." There
was a lower leg with a boot attached pointing skyward, as if kicking, right
about where the vertical stabilizer is on the white airliner in the
background. The aircraft looks like it's been "inserted" after the "graphic"
part was airbrushed out.

Apparently others have seen it too:

"Having joined this Forum only recently I must say there are a lot very
knowledgeable people out there. As I found when I was asking about a piece
of aircraft I found on a beach in Dorset, anyway I was talking to my father
(who trained as a pilot at the end of WW2) about this and he relayed the
reason he decided not to stay in the RAF. He related the story of the DH 110
aircrash at Farnborough which according to him landed 25 yards from my Aunt,
he has stated that the famous picture of the crash which he saw before
publication was airbrushed as it was too graphic. I don't want to state what
he said was in the picture but it certainly shook him up."

"In the cockpit crash photo I have viewed, a flying boot can be seen but
nothing else other than a disintegrating mass of metal. Presumably this is
the doctored photo? Whatever it does or doesn't show it's a remarkable
shot."

"Yes, it was airbrushed - in the original, the crew can be clearly seen
apparently."

"Yes as Bruce states, the image that shows the forward fuselage of WG236
hitting the ground just yards in front of the crowd was apparently very
graphic in it's original form but was published in an adjusted form. After
being published in one of the newspapers it went on to win a prestigious
photographic prize that year, though can't remember which. It is very rare
to see that picture at all these days, and the images we normally see are
the center fuselage and booms which fluttered down on the northern side of
the airfield, or the famous engine into crowd scenes."

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?106274-DH-110-Aircrash-Farnborough-1952
(dead link)

Keema's Nan

Jul 16, 2020, 5:24:08 AM7/16/20
On 16 Jul 2020, Byker wrote
(in article<hICdnVf2O7VXSJLC...@earthlink.com>):

> Those who are familiar with the 1952 Farnborough air disaster undoubtedly
> have seen this pic,

Actually no. I haven’t even seen that photo before.

Have you thought of going back through the newspaper archives for close to
the date?

One of the papers may have printed an original photo.

Fredxx

Jul 16, 2020, 11:37:55 AM7/16/20

Byker

Jul 16, 2020, 10:19:31 PM7/16/20
"Fredxx" wrote in message news:reps8i$sfj$1...@dont-email.me...
I didn't see the film footage until 1978, on PBS's "Lowell Thomas
Remembers", and not again until it was available on YouTube.

Here's another airbrush work of art I remember:

As published in Life Magazine a few weeks after it happened (1970):
https://rmyauctions.com/images_items/item_35819_1.jpg

As published ever since: https://i.redd.it/oturunbzb0w21.jpg

The photographer was trying out his new camera when he inadvertently
captured a wheel-well stowaway's 400-foot fall to death. Japan Air Lines
knew it had to act quickly. That pic must be a real collector's item now,
since someone paid $299.96 for it at auction:
https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=35819