Can a big guy fly ultralights?

Stan Uffner

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

Hi all,

I'm 6'4" and weigh (ahem) 250 lbs. Still possible to fly? Legally?

I've take PPL lessons and I'm more interested in low and slow.

Info/comments appreciated.

stan

I speak not for Intel, nor they for me.

GuyGratton

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

Stan,

I can't speak for the USA but British microlights are generally to either
86 kg or (older aircraft) 90 kg per occupant.

If you weigh 250 lbs - that's 113 kg - you should be okay in a 2-seater
with no individual seat limit so long as your instructor or passenger is
less than 66 kg, that's about 145 lbs. Not easy, but possible. To an
extent you could exchange fuel for crew weight but most microlights don't
carry all that much fuel and you need to be careful about what this would
do to the CG.

I should also caution that safety harnesses are normally designed to
restrain a 90kg occupant in crash conditions so you might need to ask some
awkward questions about that for your own peace of mind. However, that's
almost certainly the case in normal light aircraft as well.

As to height - so long as you pick an open cockpit aircraft you'll just
get a better view than the rest of us!

I hope this helps,

Guy Gratton
Chief Technical Officer
British Microlight Aircraft Association

Frank Clarke

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Airborn Watersports <st...@emcst.com> wrote:

>Yes a big guy can just about all diferant wings can acomadate 250 lbs
>hang gliders can handle over 400 lbs Tandem gliders that is just be sure
>to use an aircraft with correct weight range.
>--
>Airborn Watersports
>Steven Smith
>850-650-3638 fax 850-650-3648
>http://come.to/hangglide
>http://www.emcst.com/pub/airborn/main.htm

Did anybody else have trouble deciphering what this message was? I'm
almost sure there are missing commas, periods, and capital letters,
and there are several words I couldn't find in my dictionary. The
rest of the words I've seen before, but never quite in that order...

And we wonder why the Japanese are getting ready to buy us out. Maybe
it's because they're better at English than the people who run
America's businesses.

Frank Clarke

CometX

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

>Did anybody else have trouble deciphering what this message was? I'm
>almost sure there are missing commas, periods, and capital letters,
>and there are several words I couldn't find in my dictionary. The
>rest of the words I've seen before, but never quite in that order...
>
>And we wonder why the Japanese are getting ready to buy us out. Maybe
>it's because they're better at English than the people who run
>America's businesses.
>
>Frank Clarke

Mebbe yur dyslexic. Do you offen see wurds as being mizzpelled?
CometX

/ \ /
- -::@darwin<<-<-<-< ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
\ \ \

CometX

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

> I'm 6'4" and weigh (ahem) 250 lbs. Still possible to fly? Legally?
>>
>> I've take PPL lessons and I'm more interested in low and slow.

I'm same size as you. Weighed 296 at one time. A single seat MX with a Rotax
447 has taken me to 14,000 ft. Ground level climb on an average summer morning
(70%) is 400 ft per minute. The MX is a hi lift wing.

David Johnston

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Check out the T-Bird at the following URL. They offer an enlarged cabin
just for 'geometrically enhanced' folks!

http://www.netins.net/showcase/t-birds/

Sam Smart

Aug 15, 2020, 7:30:10 AM8/15/20
The website is down right now so I was wondering if it was 103 legal