SSA Website

John Foster

Mar 20, 2023, 12:11:57 PM3/20/23
Can someone PLEASE update and modernize the SSA website to make it more user-friendly? As a member, wanting to renew my membership, there is no indication of where to go to do this online. There are two separate sites, with two separate logins, with no indication of what information is behind which login. In this day and age, it would seem obvious to have one website, with one login where members could go to find out whatever they are looking for or to take care of whatever business they are needing to. Other basic information that the general public would want to know would be available on the part without the need for a login. It seems obvious, but somehow the current setup is very convoluted and difficult to navigate.

Mark Mocho

Mar 20, 2023, 1:45:30 PM3/20/23
On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 10:11:57 AM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
> Can someone PLEASE update and modernize the SSA website to make it more user-friendly? As a member, wanting to renew my membership, there is no indication of where to go to do this online. There are two separate sites, with two separate logins, with no indication of what information is behind which login. In this day and age, it would seem obvious to have one website, with one login where members could go to find out whatever they are looking for or to take care of whatever business they are needing to. Other basic information that the general public would want to know would be available on the part without the need for a login. It seems obvious, but somehow the current setup is very convoluted and difficult to navigate.

I agree completely.

Frank Whiteley

Mar 20, 2023, 2:01:22 PM3/20/23
On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 10:11:57 AM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
> Can someone PLEASE update and modernize the SSA website to make it more user-friendly? As a member, wanting to renew my membership, there is no indication of where to go to do this online. There are two separate sites, with two separate logins, with no indication of what information is behind which login. In this day and age, it would seem obvious to have one website, with one login where members could go to find out whatever they are looking for or to take care of whatever business they are needing to. Other basic information that the general public would want to know would be available on the part without the need for a login. It seems obvious, but somehow the current setup is very convoluted and difficult to navigate.

If you visit www.ssa.org on a computer, tablet, or phone, there are two clickable spots (buttons) on the page, one says Join SSA Today the other Renew Membership. Fair comment that we should have a Renewal link adjacent to the Join link on members.ssa.org. We see about getting that done.

Frank

youngbl...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2023, 3:18:38 PM3/20/23
This has been a CF from DAY ONE, and the priority should have been directed a long time ago to get this entire website made user friendly and up to date. I would go a bit further and say that those who are still trying to justify this poorly constructed website are part of the problem and not part of the solution. Get this problem corrected and the entire community will benefit. Old Bob, The Purist

Moshe Braner

Mar 20, 2023, 11:31:26 PM3/20/23
Last year I had trouble renewing my SSA membership online. I thought
this year I should send a paper check by snail mail. But I tried online
again, and it seemed like it worked. I got the "your order has been
received" final page, explicitly saying it's a membership renewal, and
mentioned my correct email address.

Then 2 weeks later I got an email from the SSA reminding me that it is
time to renew my membership. Sigh. I should have sent a paper check.

Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot)

Mar 21, 2023, 9:49:00 AM3/21/23
On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 12:11:57 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
> Can someone PLEASE update and modernize the SSA website to make it more user-friendly? As a member, wanting to renew my membership, there is no indication of where to go to do this online. There are two separate sites, with two separate logins, with no indication of what information is behind which login. In this day and age, it would seem obvious to have one website, with one login where members could go to find out whatever they are looking for or to take care of whatever business they are needing to. Other basic information that the general public would want to know would be available on the part without the need for a login. It seems obvious, but somehow the current setup is very convoluted and difficult to navigate.
As mentioned in other threads here as well as this one, the "modernization" is what created some of the issues.
It has been discussed here.
It has been discussed with SSA.
Some pages/databases within SSA.org carry between them, also seems like some don't.

I am glad for some recent fixes in the online contest registration, I'm doing 5 this year.

A membership renewal does not affect me, I have been a life member since late '70's.

S Fi

Mar 21, 2023, 1:02:18 PM3/21/23
On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 12:11:57 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
> Can someone PLEASE update and modernize the SSA website to make it more user-friendly? As a member, wanting to renew my membership, there is no indication of where to go to do this online. There are two separate sites, with two separate logins, with no indication of what information is behind which login. In this day and age, it would seem obvious to have one website, with one login where members could go to find out whatever they are looking for or to take care of whatever business they are needing to. Other basic information that the general public would want to know would be available on the part without the need for a login. It seems obvious, but somehow the current setup is very convoluted and difficult to navigate.

I love it when someone posts the truth here once in awhile 😂. A disaster in virtually every form of measure indeed.

Dan Marotta

Mar 21, 2023, 1:21:16 PM3/21/23
I simply gave up and let my membership lapse.

Dan
5J

Phil Umphres

Mar 24, 2023, 10:04:14 PM3/24/23
On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 11:11:57 AM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
> Can someone PLEASE update and modernize the SSA website to make it more user-friendly? As a member, wanting to renew my membership, there is no indication of where to go to do this online. There are two separate sites, with two separate logins, with no indication of what information is behind which login. In this day and age, it would seem obvious to have one website, with one login where members could go to find out whatever they are looking for or to take care of whatever business they are needing to. Other basic information that the general public would want to know would be available on the part without the need for a login. It seems obvious, but somehow the current setup is very convoluted and difficult to navigate.
SSA is well aware that the website is a cluster-F. Unfortunately, it will cost a lot of money to fix it because of the need to protect member information from being hacked. Current estimate is that a complete rebuild (which is what is needed) will cost as much as $200,000. Fortunately, SSA received two very large bequests in 2021 and 2022 of over $1 million each. Money has been budgeted out of that to fix it and a plan is in operation. But it will not happen overnight.
Phil Umphres