ETA (30.9m ship) is flying

Jürgen Breitenfelder

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Some days ago, the ETA, largest ever build glider, was flying the first time.
Look at:

http://www.streifly.de/news3-00.htm
http://www.streifly.de/enews2-00.htm

--
Viele Grüße,
Jürgen Breitenfelder

fado...@yahoo.com

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
The largest ever built? Is it bigger than the Gigant?

In article <3994E179...@t-online.de>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Martin Gregorie

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 06:22:57 GMT, fado...@yahoo.com wrote:

>The largest ever built? Is it bigger than the Gigant?

Largest sport glider, probably, but not bigger than the Me 321 which
was 55m span.

--
gregorie | Martin Gregorie
@logica | Logica Ltd

Steffen Engel

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
No, it´s not bigger than the giant, but it is the largest sailplane ever
built.
Just look at www.eta-aircraft.de for information on this project.
Photos of the maiden flight will be there in a few days, too.

<fado...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> The largest ever built? Is it bigger than the Gigant?

RFR

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
I don't think the Gigant was very competitive. Juergen obviously means the
largest, high-performance glider ever built; the SB-29 being the second
largest.

Regards,
Roderick
N301N

Ian Strachan

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
In article <8n2qg0$t94$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, fado...@yahoo.com writes

>The largest ever built? Is it bigger than the Gigant?

Which was flown by Hanna Reitsch, the famous German female glider pilot,
amongst others. I understand that she commented that the controls were
a little heavy. A powered version was produced later with six engines,
I think, but it was a bit slow, having originally been designed as a
troop-carrying glider.

However, the Gigant was not "capable of sustained soaring flight" which
as from this year will be included in the FAI and IGC definitions of our
sort of glider! Presumably ETA will be, once its initial flight testing
is completed.

--
Ian Strachan

Bert Willing

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Actually called SB 10, with a wing span of 26 meters and wingtip extensions
for 29 meters (still flying today).

--
---------------------
Bert Willing

RFR <XXXroderi...@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message :
8n8hl0$g9$1...@pollux.ip-plus.net...

RFR

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
I knew that.... Sorry, I see a picture every time I open the English
version of Cross-Country Soaring.

Cheers,
Roderick

F.L. Whiteley

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

"Ian Strachan" <I...@ukiws.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
I think the ETA 30.5m span was selected to make it the largest sailplane
ever built. Larger than the Kronfeld/Kuepper Austria of 1931 and its 30m
span. http://www.gliderhistory.com/germany/austria.htm

Frank Whiteley

Steffen Engel

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00

"F.L. Whiteley" <gre...@greeleynet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I think the ETA 30.5m span was selected to make it the largest sailplane
> ever built. Larger than the Kronfeld/Kuepper Austria of 1931 and its 30m
> span. http://www.gliderhistory.com/germany/austria.htm
No, not at all.
The goal of being the largest sailplane was not planned at the beginning of
this project. Just the design process led to this configuration as ist seems
to be the best result. Read
www.eta-aircraft.de/en/technology/AspectRatio.html and the other technology
information for this.

Steffen Engel

F.L. Whiteley

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00

"Steffen Engel" <Steffe...@eta-aircraft.de> wrote in message
Okay, I was being a bit tongue in cheek;^) That also was the reason for the
long span in the Austria.

As far as I know, no pictures of the Austria exist. Anyone know of some,
perhaps a newspaper pic during its visit to England, or some other archive?

BTW, good luck with the flight tests. Is the wing flex always so
considerable?

FW

SHP18ET

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
Martin Simmons EXCELLENT Book 'Vintage Sailplanes' has photo,s and 3d diagram
of Austria.
ISBN 0 85880 046 2
IT MAY BE OUT OF PRINT BUT TRY:-
KOOKABURRA TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS PTY LTD,
PO BOX 648,
DANDENONG 3175,
MELBOURNE,
VICTORIA,