A Hint for Glider Manufacturers: Interactive Technical Manuals

Tom BravoMike

Nov 26, 2021, 2:41:17 PM11/26/21
Considering how much experience has been gathered already by manufacturers, by national soaring organizations (Germany, UK, Australia etc.) and by glider repair shops plus indvidual glider owners (as evidenced in the many technical questions/answers and advices on this group) - how great it would be to have something like in the topic: interactive, with 3D images, videos and practical advice compiled and available on-line. I know, sounds like a dream, but it came to my mind after reading this:

tinyurl.com/ycknu36h

A food for thinking during the winter time...

AS

Nov 26, 2021, 5:08:51 PM11/26/21
To take that even one step further, one could think of these manuals being used in conjunction with 'Augmented Reality'. I my job, I worked with a company that specializes in this technology and we turned a fairly complex generator repair process involving dozens of steps into augmented reality. The field guys loved it because the system provided numerous check points where it would point to components on the screen and asked did you do XYZ? Only if it was consciously checked off would it advance to the next step. The system would generate a full repair record of who did what and when including photographic evidence of each step. Expensive at the time but definitely worth it since it virtually eliminated errors and rework.

Uli
'AS'

2G

Nov 26, 2021, 9:21:39 PM11/26/21
I vote for anything that will get the documentation out of the 20th Century, but augmented reality sounds super cool!

Tom

Eric Greenwell

Nov 26, 2021, 11:51:59 PM11/26/21
What kind of problem are you trying to solve; for example, changing a tire and tube, a
broken canopy, engine repair, ...? Most of the problems I see with gliders is the fossil
fueled propulsion system, followed by the soaring instrumentation. Other than simple
maintenance on the engine, most pilots aren't going to tackle critical repairs, and
probably shouldn't, even with better manuals (paper or electronic). The instrumentation
problems are usually improper installation, or poor setup. The paper manuals often could
be better, but user groups seem to fill voids, so I don't see the incentive for anyone to
go further than good written manuals, and perhaps some videos.

What can markedly improve the user group effectiveness is a "technical website" that
answers the questions that come up frequently. Someone has to take the information from
the discussions, and organize it so it's clear, succinct, with the latest knowledge, and
place it in pages on the website. That website makes it a lot easier to find what you need
than trying to search for and read through 50 or 60 postings made over several years. A
website like that takes a while to set up, but then can be improved relatively easily, and
is accessible by owners and repair technicians around the world. That system has worked
out well for our ASH26E group (now expanded to all ASH Wankel powered gliders).

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

2G

Nov 27, 2021, 1:52:35 AM11/27/21
Changing a tire would be a good one to start with. That could be followed up with removing the engine of a 26/31. Another would be removing the rudder, then aileron. Flaps could would be an added extra.

Tom

John Johnson

Nov 27, 2021, 5:31:20 PM11/27/21
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 11:52:35 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
> Changing a tire would be a good one to start with. That could be followed up with removing the engine of a 26/31. Another would be removing the rudder, then aileron. Flaps could would be an added extra.
>
> Tom

What Tom said plus replacing gaps seals (all types).

JJ

Roel Baardman

Nov 30, 2021, 8:05:35 AM11/30/21
A good first step would be to release 3D drawings of fuselage and control mechanisms.
Just the mechanics, nothing aerodynamics-related.

Eric Greenwell

Nov 30, 2021, 8:48:01 AM11/30/21
On 11/30/2021 5:05 AM, Roel Baardman wrote:
> A good first step would be to release 3D drawings of fuselage and control mechanisms.
> Just the mechanics, nothing aerodynamics-related.

How would that be useful? I've never needed anything like that.

Dan Daly

Nov 30, 2021, 9:43:36 AM11/30/21
Last year I had to replace aileron bushings. The drawings in the maintenance manual and parts catalogue didn't show the detail, and we had to get a supplemental drawing from the factory; happily, another member of the user group had previously got one. 3D drawings would have been useful (with part numbers).

Eric Greenwell

Nov 30, 2021, 11:51:03 AM11/30/21
Couldn't the dealer supply the parts and drawings?

Dan Daly

Nov 30, 2021, 1:58:40 PM11/30/21
Parts, yes; drawings, just the parts catalog drawings.

Dan

Martin Gregorie

Nov 30, 2021, 2:48:02 PM11/30/21
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:50:59 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

> Couldn't the dealer supply the parts and drawings?

Seems to me that expecting drawings from a parts dealer is a bit unfair,
especially if you expect to give him a serial or version number and
expect drawings that exactly match your glider.

Surely, the best source for the correct drawings is the type certificate
holder: after all, they should have a complete set of drawings including
revised ones for any parts that changed during the production run as
improved airframes were developed or bought-in parts got changed by the
OEM.

This level of support is what I get from Glasfaser, who hold the
Glasflugel type certificates, and are a pleasure to deal with. IMO this
is another good reason for flying a Libelle.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Roel Baardman

Dec 1, 2021, 10:56:13 AM12/1/21
> >> How would that be useful? I've never needed anything like that.
I have to replace a brake cable on an Ls glider. It would be nice to view how the brake system works and how cables are routed at home instead of at the airfield (where during the winter workshop space is limited).
And I think a moving 3D model might be very handy if you're trying to debug DG-1000 gear system issues. It's complex.

Eric Greenwell

Dec 1, 2021, 12:16:11 PM12/1/21
On 11/30/2021 11:47 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:50:59 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>
>> Couldn't the dealer supply the parts and drawings?
>>
> Seems to me that expecting drawings from a parts dealer is a bit unfair,
> especially if you expect to give him a serial or version number and
> expect drawings that exactly match your glider.

The dealers I've worked with (one Shempp-Hirth, three Schleicher, one Phoenix) handled my
requests easily, so I think is reasonable to expect the dealer to handle routine issues,
instead of telling their customer to work directly with the factory; otherwise, they
aren't really "dealers", but are just order takers. Of course, if the sailplane no longer
has a dealer in the country (or even no longer has a factory, like the Libelle), your
suggestion is a good one.

Even if there is a good dealer, an owners' group website can be a very useful in dealing
with routine issues, and often with unusual problems (more likely with motorgliders than
towed gliders) the dealer and the haven't encountered. A website can serve owners around
the world, so there is more experience to draw upon, compared to a single-country dealer.

Steve Chapman

Dec 2, 2021, 10:37:32 AM12/2/21
On Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 04:51:59 UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> That system has worked out well for our ASH26E group (now expanded to all ASH Wankel powered gliders).

Sorry to SPAM the group but I have hunted high and low on Google for this ASH26E group Eric mentions to look for some tips in maintaining our ASK21Mi but to no avail. Clearly I am incompetent with search terms in some way.

If anyone might have a link they could share with us I’d be most appreciative.

5Z

Dec 2, 2021, 11:50:24 AM12/2/21

Herbert Kilian

Dec 4, 2021, 9:44:14 AM12/4/21
Steve,
You want to email Eric Greenwell (post above yours) with a request to join the group. After he approved you he will send you a link , well worth it!