Panel Mount Microphone

Robert Ballou

Feb 2, 2017, 11:18:13 AM2/2/17
Greetings all. I am in the process of building a new panel for my ASW20C and am interested in dumping the annoying side mounted, goose neck mic, in favor of a panel mounted microphone. I'm also installing a standard plug in for a headset.

I read previous RAS comments on this subject and those who have panel mounted mics spoke favorably about their performance. The problem I found is the referenced websites either no longer exist or I can't seem to find panel mount microphones listed on the site. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a domestic retailer?
2. Can anyone direct me to a specific site with panel mounted mics listed?
3. Can an automotive panel mounted mic work, like from a car dealer or O'Reilly's?
4. Other suggestions and recommendations?

Thanks everyone.

Bob

mzi...@hotmail.com

Feb 2, 2017, 11:28:39 AM2/2/17
If you could safely remove the microphone element from the gooseneck one option would be to find a way to clip the microphone element to the shoulder strap of the seatbelt without compromising the belt. This puts the mic nexr to your head and then it's placed there automaticaly when you buckle in. Using 2-3 of the elastic loops like you find on parachute webbing should work suitably.

John Carlyle

Feb 2, 2017, 1:06:46 PM2/2/17
What a good idea! I rebuilt the rear mounted microphone in my old plane using a 5/8" goose neck and some special end adapters. I never thought to simply junk the goose neck and attach the microphone to my shoulder harness. The new plane's goose neck is starting to fail the same way the old one did, so I'll definitely give this suggestion a try.

-John, Q3

Tim Taylor

Feb 2, 2017, 1:26:33 PM2/2/17
The problem with panel mounted microphones is to be effective they have to pick up sound several feet away. This is good in theory but the reality is a cockpit is a loud environment. A glider at cruise speeds has vario and wind noise that the microphone will pick up. Most aircraft microphones are designed to work at a few centemeters or less. A good quality gooseneck microphone works very well. Cheap ones are a headache.

kirk.stant

Feb 2, 2017, 3:16:13 PM2/2/17
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:26:33 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
> The problem with panel mounted microphones is to be effective they have to pick up sound several feet away. This is good in theory but the reality is a cockpit is a loud environment. A glider at cruise speeds has vario and wind noise that the microphone will pick up. Most aircraft microphones are designed to work at a few centemeters or less. A good quality gooseneck microphone works very well. Cheap ones are a headache.

I've been using a panel mike in an LS6 for the past 2 seasons and it works better than any other mike I've ever used.

Cost about $70.

Apparently several other pilots in my club think so too - they are installing them also.

Way better than ANY boom mike!

Kirk

Matt Herron Jr.

Feb 2, 2017, 3:55:47 PM2/2/17
I have a friend that uses a panel mic in his ASW20. He thinks it's fantastic because its convenient for HIM. I think it sucks because I have to listen to him on the other end. He is usually under modulated, or drowned out by the ambient noise in the cockpit. This can be either wind noise or vario noise. Think twice...

gsch...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2017, 4:29:12 PM2/2/17
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 8:18:13 AM UTC-8, Robert Ballou wrote:
Hi Bob. Like you, I saw some good feedback on use of panel mounted microphones in Europe. I also had a hard time finding the link, but eventually I was able to follow the suggested links and got here: WWW.Segelflug.DE Kleinanzeigen - Jemand hat eine Frage zu Ihrem Angebot

Ultimately, I had an email exchange with Mike Beier. His email address is: mike_beier<put at sign here>t-online.de He confirmed that his microphone would work with my new Trig radio, and when I received the microphone, he had also hand annotated the wiring diagram from the Trig manual on exactly how to wire it. It was about $70 via paypal, and he was very prompt with Shipping. My radio is being installed now, so I can't attest to how well it works in flight. But I did test it on my bench and it seems to work well. Hope that helps.

JS

Feb 2, 2017, 4:30:15 PM2/2/17
Links to the ones that work are needed.
Just flew with 5Z on the weekend and thought that other than the vario being too loud that his panel-mount microphone sounded great.
Tom's vario speaker is in the panel, will be relocated and should then be fine.
Tom... Which microphone is it?
There are several types of microphones, with varying sensitivity, impedance, requirement for phantom power, and polar pattern. Some may not work with your glider radio, some may be too quiet or loud, some may pick up too much wind noise, etc.
Jim

Eric Greenwell

Feb 2, 2017, 6:13:04 PM2/2/17
kirk.stant wrote on 2/2/2017 12:16 PM:
.

> I've been using a panel mike in an LS6 for the past 2 seasons and it works better than any other mike I've ever used.
>
> Cost about $70.
>
> Apparently several other pilots in my club think so too - they are installing them also.
>
> Way better than ANY boom mike!

What's the brand the vendor?

email me)

https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

t...@serkowski.com

Feb 2, 2017, 9:39:56 PM2/2/17
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 1:30:15 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
> Just flew with 5Z on the weekend and thought that other than the vario being too loud
> that his panel-mount microphone sounded great.
> Tom's vario speaker is in the panel, will be relocated and should then be fine.
> Tom... Which microphone is it?

Mine's the one sold by Mike Beier, mentioned in an earlier post. He takes PayPal and the shipping from Europe took a week or so. He provided detailed instructions for my Dittel FSG-21 so the installation was completely uneventful.

In flight I just use a normal speaking voice and so far my wife thinks this is the best I've ever sounded compared to all previous radio / mic / glider combinations.

On the ground, while standing next to the cockpit with the canopy open, my transmissions are loud and clear with no background noise or distortion.

-Tom

bruno...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2017, 11:23:00 PM2/2/17
Dang! My transmissions completely suck rocks - just ask all my flying buddies! ;) Would love to not have to mess with a boom mike. Will keep an eye on this thread.

Bruno - B4

needa...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2017, 11:33:02 PM2/2/17
Kirk's works quite well. I got one for my glider based on the clarity of his. I wouldn't hesitate to install on if your considering it

christoph...@googlemail.com

Feb 3, 2017, 3:06:10 AM2/3/17
From time to time Mike lists an ad on https://www.segelflug.de/osclass/.

His microphone comes with a pre-amplifier that allows adjustment of signal level. This amplifier needs a 12V connection and a symmetrical microphone input at the radio. Some of the new 8.33kHz radios need a connection between microphone low and 12v low for this microphone to work.

Christoph

r...@williamssoaring.com

Feb 3, 2017, 10:07:37 AM2/3/17
I have a couple of these in stock at Williams Soaring Center.
Call 1 (530) 473-5600. Ask for Rex

kirk.stant

Feb 3, 2017, 4:31:49 PM2/3/17
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 5:13:04 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> What's the brand the vendor?

Same as mentioned in other posts in this thread: Got it from Mike Beier. Great support, paid via PayPal, couple of emails did the trick.

Kirk
66

cliff...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2017, 5:59:38 PM2/5/17
Interesting nobody mentions a Plantronics mic that clips on my glasses. most people wear sunglasses as well it clips on the stem and always is in the same place when looking out, up or around while talking.
.

Tom (TK)

Feb 5, 2017, 6:19:53 PM2/5/17
I ditched the whole thing and use a clarity aloft headset. It has a great mic and the earphones quiet the fatigue of the cockpit noise.