JS3 For Sale

John Seaborn (A8)

Oct 1, 2022, 5:36:01 PM10/1/22
JS3 Jet 15/18 For Sale. Includes COBRA trailer, also in excellent condition. Best for pilots with competition and high-performance glider experience. Located in Colorado. Please email for details JS3co...@gmail.com

Sean Franke

Oct 3, 2022, 5:26:58 PM10/3/22
On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 3:36:01 PM UTC-6, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
> JS3 Jet 15/18 For Sale. Includes COBRA trailer, also in excellent condition. Best for pilots with competition and high-performance glider experience. Located in Colorado. Please email for details JS3co...@gmail.com
https://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/jonker-sailplanes-js3-18132266751.html

Eric Greenwell

Oct 3, 2022, 5:56:11 PM10/3/22
On 10/1/2022 2:35 PM, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
> JS3 Jet 15/18 For Sale. Includes COBRA trailer, also in excellent condition. Best for pilots with competition and high-performance glider experience. Located in Colorado. Please email for details JS3co...@gmail.com

What's the replacement?

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

waremark

Oct 8, 2022, 3:20:09 PM10/8/22
On Saturday, 1 October 2022 at 22:36:01 UTC+1, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
> JS3 Jet 15/18 For Sale. Includes COBRA trailer, also in excellent condition. Best for pilots with competition and high-performance glider experience. Located in Colorado. Please email for details JS3co...@gmail.com

"Best for pilots with competition and high-performance glider experience. Located in Colorado." Do you consider that the JS3 is particularly demanding to fly by comparison with other flapped 18m gliders?

John Godfrey

Oct 9, 2022, 11:45:50 AM10/9/22
As a JS-3 owner and middle-of-the-pack contest pilot, I find the JS-3 a delight to fly and have (after intentional provocation) not uncoverd any bad or surprising behaviors whether 15M, 18M, empty or fully ballasted. All 18M racing ships are slippery, so a direct transition from say a 2-33 would likely be a bigger than desired step.
FWIW

Rodrigo Silva

Oct 13, 2022, 6:10:08 PM10/13/22
what do you mean by slippery?

Andy Blackburn

Oct 13, 2022, 6:51:12 PM10/13/22
On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 3:10:08 PM UTC-7, rodf...@gmail.com wrote:
> what do you mean by slippery?

Slippery means exceptionally low aerodynamic drag. In the case of the JS3 it has very low drag across a wide speed range as well as a small wing area and resulting high maximum wing loading. This enables it to have a very high L/D at high cruise speeds. It also means that if you point the nose at the ground with the spoilers retracted and the flaps negative it will pick up speed in a hurry. So, if you let yourself get into a nose-down attitude you will potentially get to Vne surprisingly quickly if you are not used to it.

After two contest seasons with my JS3 I have not found any bad habits either, but compared to my ASW-27B it will get to 100, and then 130 knots very quickly with very little change in attitude when you transition from climb to cruise. It's actually quite satisfying - I don't think any glider short of the Concordia runs at high speed like a loaded JS3 with the 18M tips. I've never flown a glider that wanted to cruise at 120-130 knots. But what comes with that is that one is well advised pay attention the the airspeed indicator.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Message has been deleted

Rodrigo Silva

Oct 13, 2022, 9:50:37 PM10/13/22
Em quinta-feira, 13 de outubro de 2022 às 19:51:12 UTC-3, anderson....@gmail.com escreveu:

got it, thank, great explanation!

Clay Thomas

Oct 23, 2022, 10:33:41 PM10/23/22
On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 7:50:37 PM UTC-6, rodf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Em quinta-feira, 13 de outubro de 2022 às 19:51:12 UTC-3, anderson....@gmail.com escreveu:
>
> got it, thank, great explanation!
That's why you have the LXNAV lady warning, "OVERSPEED, OVERSPEED!"

John Seaborn (A8)

Oct 29, 2022, 5:36:08 PM10/29/22
SOLD