Question for PW-6 owners

Carl Johnson

May 15, 2022, 3:42:03 PM5/15/22
During assembly of one of our PW-6's we had a problem with one of the aileron quick-disconnect joints. There's a knurled sleeve that holds a push button captive in a keyhole shaped slot. This sleeve was inadvertently extended to the point that the push button came clear of the sleeve and got launched into the void by the spring underneath it. We are unable to locate this button now and need a replacement. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how quickly were you able to obtain a replacement? Did you get it from the factory in Poland or did you find a supply elsewhere? We're worried about obtaining parts from Poland given the current supply chain environment.

Thanks,

Carl Johnson
Sugarbush Soaring

Mike

May 15, 2022, 7:35:48 PM5/15/22
Carl, I may have some PW-5 connectors. Send me a photo. Unfortunately I’m heading away for two weeks tomorrow morning and won’t be able to check until then. mhutnick ate ptd dot net
Best
Mike

mike maskell

May 16, 2022, 8:03:46 AM5/16/22
We own 2 PW-6's and have not had that problem yet. We also have had other gliders in our club, both private and club owned, that have the same connector and I have never heard of an issues. I do have spare parts from a damaged Krosno (KR03 Puchatek) that will have several same styled connectors and can get the button and spring to you for a minimal cost. Let me know if needed.
Cheers,
Mike Maskell
Winnipeg Gliding Club

Carl Johnson

May 16, 2022, 4:18:03 PM5/16/22
Hi all,

We did manage to locate a spare push button from an old fitting so we're all set now. Jerzy is checking into the availability of this part from Poland, and given how easily this happened I think we're going to order a few spares. Let us know if any of you get caught in a similar bind.

Thanks,

--Carl
Sugarbush Soaring

mike maskell

May 17, 2022, 8:30:31 AM5/17/22
Just wondering if the small spring beneath the button was perhaps either missing or not quite extended enough which might have allowed the button to be more recessed in the hole. But glad you have Jerzy working with you...he was instrumental in our club getting our new PW6's ordered and shipped.

Carl Johnson

May 17, 2022, 12:40:53 PM5/17/22
A good question, but there wasn't anything wrong with the spring. This issue is that if you're reaching into the fuselage and operating the fitting by feel then it's easy to inadvertently push the sleeve in the wrong direction after you depress the button. If you do this the button is no longer captive and can be launched by the spring.