Cobra Trailer lights converting to 4-way flat--Help

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 11:49:18 AM10/26/17
Got a new Cobra with a 7-blade. My vehicles use 4-way flat.
I was initially going to cut and install a 4way on the trailer, but hate to cut brand new plus thought if I install a combi on the vehicle I could tow others if a need arise. So, I find a vehicle combi at Lowe's, connect everything and ....only the left side works.
Tips, ideas, hammer size?
Thanks

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 11:53:15 AM10/26/17
Email direct if you like...
frg...@icloud.com

JS

Oct 26, 2017, 12:10:34 PM10/26/17
Hook up both the black and brown wires to your vehicle's tail lights.

Cobra Trailer wiring:

COLOR CODE: USE:
White Ground
Black / Brown Tail / Side
Red Brake
Yellow Left Turn
Green Right Turn
Blue Aux

I just wired a new car which had the lousy American standard tail lights to work with International standard lighting, as used in the Cobra. Used a Curt 2- to 3-wire converter available from E-Trailer.com. The trailer lighting is now fully functional.
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/56196
Jim

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 12:37:48 PM10/26/17
So, I need to power both Black/Brown blades on the 7blade via the Brown on my vehicle combi to power the trailer lights?
Using a jumper.

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 12:41:45 PM10/26/17
Plus, no red wire on the vehicle combi.

JS

Oct 26, 2017, 12:46:00 PM10/26/17
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 9:41:45 AM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
> Plus, no red wire on the vehicle combi.

Correct. The Curt box provides the red (brake) wire out.
Jim

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 1:16:24 PM10/26/17
So, forget jumper...I put the Black/Brown together on the Cobra blade that is powered by the Brown wire on the car blade.
Now I have lights, but select left or right blinker operates both Cobra blinker.

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 1:18:02 PM10/26/17
Thank you JS
The Cobra plug has two red wires to the center post...(?)

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 1:22:59 PM10/26/17
I don't have time to order a Curt Box....gotta pull tomorrow.
If I can get the brake lights working, I can put on the flashers before turning.
Then fix correct it at home.

Darryl Ramm

Oct 26, 2017, 2:14:38 PM10/26/17
Cobra provide pretty good docuemtnation. What happens when you follow those instructions? http://www.cobratrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/How_to_pick_up__E.pdf

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 2:36:04 PM10/26/17
Thanks everyone, I decided to go ahead and convert the trailer to a 4way flat.
All the best.

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 2:41:54 PM10/26/17
Wings and wheels also has a conversion sheet on their site. Difference is my Cobra tail light boxes have 4 sockets each with one unpowered.
1 is a back-up, 1 amber for the turn, and 1 running/brake.

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 5:05:53 PM10/26/17
Thanks for ll the help and emails.
Got it done.

Dan Daly

Oct 26, 2017, 7:04:12 PM10/26/17
Good presentation at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/ "Trailer Electrics Made Easier". Lots of good info in the others too!

michae...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2017, 8:25:26 PM10/26/17
“inquiring minds want to know” does the new trailer have something new in it?

Retting

Oct 26, 2017, 11:28:54 PM10/26/17
It does.....and now have a Discus 2b for sale in the 50s. Pass it on. Finance available.

michae...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2017, 1:24:55 AM10/27/17
It must be something really special for you to give up your nice Discus 2B.
Are you planning to just surprise us at the Seniors or can we get a hint now?

Tom Kelley #711

Oct 27, 2017, 1:37:38 AM10/27/17
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 11:24:55 PM UTC-6, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
> It must be something really special for you to give up your nice Discus 2B.
> Are you planning to just surprise us at the Seniors or can we get a hint now?

Its a used PW 5, trust me.

Retting

Oct 27, 2017, 5:21:33 AM10/27/17
Ouch! You guys are rough. RS not going to like your PW5 crack. On the road today, off the grid.
Play nice. Take your meds.
Test flight/evaluation on the 2nd.

OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Oct 27, 2017, 8:40:00 AM10/27/17
Dan - Thanks for the plug.
Retting - Been there, done that (what you are doing). What you need to know starts on page 13 of my trailer wiring exposé. Plus much more trivial and exciting trailering information! I just uploaded the latest addition. Every time I look at the thing I find something to update. Can't help myself! Good luck.

Enjoy, John

Bojack J4

Oct 27, 2017, 10:21:22 PM10/27/17
My guess is: Ventus 3