Stolen Sailplane and trailer

John Smith

Jan 14, 2022, 6:24:31 PM1/14/22
My sailplane and trailer where stolen from my work in Fullerton California.

It's a Russian AC-4c, with machine guns and bullet holes airbrushed onto the fuse. The vertical stab has Marine Corps Emblems on both sides.

The Trailer is Fiberglass White and has "Russian Sailplane Capture by US MARINE Vet" Painted on both sides.

Please contact Fullerton Police Dept if you see either.

Thanks

John A. Smith

John Smith

Jan 14, 2022, 6:25:39 PM1/14/22
Pictures of the Plane and Trailer I've posted on Facebook. Here is the Link.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1789951706

soa...@yahoo.com

Jan 15, 2022, 3:18:36 PM1/15/22
On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 3:25:39 PM UTC-8, smithjo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Pictures of the Plane and Trailer I've posted on Facebook. Here is the Link.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1789951706
FAA records show the serial number as 034. Is that correct?

Posting the serial numbers of the trailer and the aircraft might help identify them if they show up somewhere else with new paint jobs.

Jeff Bures

Jan 15, 2022, 5:42:12 PM1/15/22
That really sucks. Who would steal it, knowing what it is? Probably some ignorant crook hoping for tools or machinery. There's not a large market for stolen sailplanes. Value is likely zero to anyone but a pilot, and what pilot would buy/fly a stolen sailplane. Hopefully it will be discovered abandon somewhere without much damage.

Don't forget to post elsewhere, like https://www.reddit.com/r/Gliding/. There might be a better chance of recovering it if you spread the word beyond the sailplane community to flying clubs, EAA chapters, local FBOs, or even airport managers. Someone stupid enough to steal it might be stupid enough to take it to an airport to try and sell it.

I've always wondered if a LoJack or Tile or AirTag might help recover a stolen sailplane when trailered.

Matt Herron Jr.

Jan 15, 2022, 6:25:00 PM1/15/22
AirTag is a great idea. I think I will put one in my glider. Might not work in a metal trailer though. I locked my spot in the trailer when I had the glider transported from Texas. I always knew where it was, and how fast it was being towed. Good for peace of mind...

AS

Jan 15, 2022, 6:37:34 PM1/15/22
Jeff - a few years ago, several gliders got stolen right out of a club's hangar in Denmark. They have not been recovered and the crook actually contacted the club offering them for a buy-back. The club respectfully declined since their insurance had paid up, thus leaving the crook with a bunch of hot and useless (to him) parts. So, yes - gliders get stolen.
John - hope you recover your glider - best of luck to you.

Uli
'AS'

Sean Franke

Sep 7, 2022, 12:41:09 PM9/7/22
W&W received a call about placing a new classified. A trailer was purchased at auction. It just happened to have an AC-4 inside. What is the N-number for the stolen AC-4?

Sean

John Smith

Sep 7, 2022, 9:24:03 PM9/7/22
The Serial Number is 34 and the N Number is 80750..

John