Need gear doors and cg hook for Standard Cirrus

Wallace Berry

Nov 4, 2021, 2:23:12 PM11/4/21

I am looking for serviceable gear doors and cg hook to fit a Standard Cirrus. Thanks!

Ber...@auburn.edu

Chris Runeckles

Nov 5, 2021, 7:10:12 AM11/5/21
Unusual to damage a belly release on a wheels up or gear collapse, normally it grinds the angle iron guides down which protects the release beak?
Chris Runeckles

Wallace Berry

Nov 5, 2021, 12:13:36 PM11/5/21
Yes, same for Libelles, Mosquitoes,etc. that have the guides.

Amazing how far a Libelle can skate on those guides in a gear up landing.

John Sinclair

Nov 6, 2021, 12:00:20 PM11/6/21
I just checked the barn and I’ve got several gear doors, but don’t thing they are for your Cirrus ?
Replacing gear doors after a gear-up landing is seldom the best approach! Getting them to fit is always much more time consuming than repairing the damaged doors in place. I clamp on a backing plat of aluminum sheet over the ground away ares, then lay in several layers of 92125 cloth. After curing, trim to existing door sides and start filling to get the original contour back.
JJ

Martin Gregorie

Nov 6, 2021, 1:09:51 PM11/6/21
On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 09:00:17 -0700 (PDT), John Sinclair wrote:

> I just checked the barn and I’ve got several gear doors, but don’t thing
> they are for your Cirrus ?
> Replacing gear doors after a gear-up landing is seldom the best
> approach! Getting them to fit is always much more time consuming than
> repairing the damaged doors in place. I clamp on a backing plat of
> aluminum sheet over the ground away ares, then lay in several layers of
> 92125 cloth. After curing, trim to existing door sides and start filling
> to get the original contour back.
> JJ

The last time I knocked a chip of the front corner of one of my Libelle's
undercarriage door, about a 30mm x 40mm triangular chip of the front
corner, I did pretty much the same as JJ except that, having a model
building background, I clamped on a piece of 1/64" (0.4mm) plywood [1]
rather than alloy plate, and covered its inner surface with clingfilm,
which epoxy doesn't stick to. The benefit of using thin ply is that you
don't have to bend it to suit the door's shape: just clamp it on and it
will match the door's 2D curve.

Having cut away the edge of the break so the door had a nice, straight
edge to but the epoxy and glass against, I used multiple layers of 100
gsm (5 oz/sq. yard) [3] glass cloth and Z-poxy [2] to add layers of
cloth, butted up against the cleaned-up edge of the door until the repair
matched the thickness of the door, and finished off with a bigger piece
of cloth that overlapped onto the inside of the door by 12mm (1/2in) or
so.

When this was fully cured, I removed the clamps and ply, and epoxied a
single layer of 25gsm (0.7 oz/sq.yard) [3] glasscloth on the outside of
the door, again overlapping it onto the outside of the door.

With the last stage cured, it was simple to cut and file the outside
edges of the new glass to an exact match to the front and lower edge of
of the door and then lightly sand the overlapping edge of the 25gsm
glasscloth overlay so its edge was undetectable to touch.

Finally, paint the outside of your patch to match the door colour.

[1] If you don't have access the 1/64" ply to build up the repair on,
thick cardboard should work too, but it should be solid card, glued
and laminated to the required thickness and stiffness rather than
corrugated stuff, which won't bend into a smooth curve.

[2] Z-poxy is a general purpose laminating epoxy used by model flyers and
available in small quantities. Small quantities of other brands of
laminating epoxy are also available.

[3] If you don't have a local source for small amounts of glasscloth
and/or laminating epoxy, try CST https://www.cstsales.com/
They are California based and have outlets in many US states.
I've known and used them for years as a source of high-tech
modelling materials.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Wallace Berry

Nov 20, 2021, 6:00:29 PM11/20/21
Many thanks to all who replied, both on RAS and privately. Looks like getting used parts will be no problem. My own inclination for the gear doors was to do as JJ said: Repair the existing doors in place. However, others will be doing the repair, I'm just offered to find parts.

Fly safe,

Wally