one man assembly

nimbu...@hotmail.com

Jun 7, 2009, 6:29:28 PM6/7/09
Which one-man assembly dolly is the preferred for 15m?? What dolly
works best if two(older) people are assembling/disassembling and on a
hard surface? Jim

Mike the Strike

Jun 7, 2009, 7:14:05 PM6/7/09

Many of us in the USA and some overseas have the Wing Rigger built by
our buddy Steve Koerner here in the Phoenix area. Designed to work on
rough surfaces, it's a doddle on a hard surface, like concrete or
asphalt. It has some nice design improvements over some of the others
out there, but I especially like the gas-spring that makes height
adjustment easy.

Mike

can...@cox.net

Jun 7, 2009, 9:59:34 PM6/7/09

Wing Rigger is what I use for my Pik 20D.I used to stress out that the
wings are too heavy for my helper and that it takes too long to
assemble. Now I do it all by my self - no stress and no sweat.I love
it!

bildan

Jun 7, 2009, 10:46:57 PM6/7/09

Whatever you get, it needs to be strong and stable on rough surfaces
if you think you'll use it in a landout.

A few weekends ago I saw what appeared to be and expensive European
unit with electric vertical motion, twist, collapse and dump a glider
wing and it's owner on the ground. Fortunately, neither the wing nor
owner appeared to suffer any lasting damage. The one-man assembly
dolly suffered some trauma, however. Scary.

Tuno

Jun 7, 2009, 10:48:46 PM6/7/09
Jim this is a no-brainer these days. Steve Koerner's product is
superior in all aspects, he supports it well, and improves it with
every one he makes.

http://www.wingrigger.com/

Andy

Jun 7, 2009, 10:51:15 PM6/7/09
On Jun 7, 3:29 pm, nimbusf...@hotmail.com wrote:

If you have 2 people you don't need a one man assembly dolly, unless
one is a spectator.

I bought an early model Wing Rigger. It's not perfect and there have
been several improvements since I bought mine, but I can rig solo with
less back strain than with a helper and it only takes a couple of
minutes longer than with an experienced person on the tip. It is
quicker and far less risk of damage than having an inexperienced
person on the tip. I also find I am in less of a hurry to clean and
grease the spar bushings as no one has to hold anything.

I still find it quicker and more convenient to de-rig with an
experienced helper but using Wing Rigger to derig is not a problem.
It's just a preferance.

BTW in my opinion the gas spring is completely unnecessary as height
adjustments are easier made with the fuselage dolly jack while
watching the spar bushing alignment (Cobra hydraulic jack). I set the
height of the wing saddle the same every time and very very seldom
have to change it.

Lateral positioning of the wing is done by pulling on a strap to drag
the main dolly wheels sideways. That is actually much easier to do on
dirt than on a paved surface. Getting the alignment right first
attempt is best. I once got both wings on with no lateral adjustment
of either wing but it's seldom I'm that good. With experience you
should only have to shift the dolly a few inches after inserting each
spar.

If you go for a used Wing Rigger be sure to get the right size saddle
for your wings, there have been some changes.

Andy

drguya...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2009, 11:06:29 PM6/7/09
I do not have direct experience with the Wing Rigger. I have been
using the Cobra one man rigger with a Grob Speed Astir, an LS-8-18,
and an SZD-59 with total karmic harmony. I prefer using a one man
rigger for many of the previously discussed reasons: less damage to
plane from assistant's good intentions, more time to lube pins and
fittings since another person is not risking a hernia while holding
the wing, more freedom at the soaring site because I don't need
another person to rig or de-rig.

I use the Cobra system on gravel, dirt, and pavement. Works very well
in all situations. I have watched other people use the Wing RIgger
and have to say that i prefer the manual crank for elevation control
that the Cobra has over the gas spring system in the Wing RIgger.
However, that is only a matter of taste. Both work great.

Guy

bildan

Jun 8, 2009, 8:53:00 AM6/8/09

One of the good things you seldom hear about one-man riggers is the
ease with which the wing spigot pins go in. With the wing balanced on
the rigger, there's little weight on the root so the spar and pins
just sort of float/slide in. Otherwise, there's a lot of weight
riding on those pins as you try to slide them in. That has to mean
less wear.

Frank

Jun 10, 2009, 11:06:59 PM6/10/09

My single-rig system consists of a second wing stand and a 8" diameter
by 36" long roll of carpet scrap. Works great on any surface, can't
fall down, and its a LOT cheaper/smaller/lighter than a $1000 assembly
dolly

TA

Tuno

Jun 10, 2009, 11:10:57 PM6/10/09
I'd like to see some photos of that!

Wayne Paul

Jun 10, 2009, 11:31:47 PM6/10/09

"Tuno" <tedcw...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:da28cfca-bfd5-403b...@h2g2000yqg.googlegroups.com...

> I'd like to see some photos of that!

One man assembly systems aren't that hard to build. They make a great winter project.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Construction/Wing_Carrier/LWT-3.htm
With this unite I can assemble my HP-14 in less time by myself the I can with a team of three.

I notice that the above link references Udo Rumpf's unit. The associated link doesn't work because Udo removed the page when he halted production.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Peter Scholz

Jun 11, 2009, 8:00:06 AM6/11/09
At 03:06 11 June 2009, Frank wrote:

>My single-rig system consists of a second wing stand and a 8" diameter
>by 36" long roll of carpet scrap. Works great on any surface, can't
>fall down, and its a LOT cheaper/smaller/lighter than a $1000 assembly
>dolly
>
>TA

Can you explain how this works?

Thanks,
Peter

Mike the Strike

Jun 11, 2009, 10:57:38 AM6/11/09
I've used the Cobra and also used to own a Udo rigger. These both
work fine, but in rough field conditions the three-wheel design of the
Wing Rigger is superior. I also found the Udo's swivelling foot would
hit rocks and tip the thing over. What really annoyed me is that I
rapped my knuckles every time I used the manual height crank. I don't
have to use the height adjustment often, but when I do, the gas spring
is a doddle. It's also interesting to note that the IMI rigger ( a new
offering from Wings & Wheels) uses a gas spring for height adjustment.

My final advice is to try one first if you can.

If the carpet trick isn't a hoax, I'd like to see photos!

Mike

bildan

Jun 11, 2009, 2:37:55 PM6/11/09
On Jun 7, 9:06 pm, drguyache...@gmail.com wrote:

I built my own one-man wing dolly using a VW tower jack for vertical
adjustments. A wing is a LOT lighter than a VW so I cut the crank
down to 5" which still lifts the wing with finger pressure. I
probably could have used a knob instead of the crank.

I considered the gas strut and even went as far as to buy one with 100
Lbs force, but decided to stick with the VW jack. I thought I needed
to lock the height at an exact value. Anybody want to buy a 100Lb gas
strut?

enstroj

Jun 12, 2009, 11:15:40 AM6/12/09

At aero exhibition AERO 2009 in Friderischshafen I bought an one man
assembly dolly from europian company Enstroj (www.glider-one.com)
and I have to say that it is fantastic. It is remote controlled,
simple to use, it can dig the wing up to 150 kg with no problem, the
hight is adjustable and it can be used
for every wing shape.
Even the price is twice as lower as the Cobra's and the qulality twice
as better.
I relly recommend it. More informations you can find on Enstroj's
webpage.

enstroj

Jun 12, 2009, 11:19:00 AM6/12/09

I wrote the wrong webpage adress. These one is correct: www.glider-one.si

Bob

Jun 14, 2009, 8:23:18 AM6/14/09
On Jun 7, 3:29 pm, nimbusf...@hotmail.com wrote:

I have found the Wing Rigger to be excelent on both smooth and hard
surfaces. I especially like the breakdown feature, so it can be
stowed most anywhere. Others I tried / looked at were a pain to
stow.

Bob
19

Barny

Jun 14, 2009, 9:18:56 PM6/14/09
One more vote for Steve's Wing Rigger. Bought one last year and I was
stuck w/o a hanger so assembled on very rough grass all year, no
problem. This year in hanger on asphalt also no problem. Breakdown is
awesome, as is the powder coat paint. Spend the $ and go flying. Prior
to the W-R, I used the roller gizmos (home made), which work, but take
longer and are harder to store in trailer.

Andy

Jun 15, 2009, 9:45:04 AM6/15/09
On Jun 11, 7:57 am, Mike the Strike <Stringm...@msn.com> wrote:

> If the carpet trick isn't a hoax, I'd like to see photos!

I imagine the usage is similar to the blanket technique described by
KS a while ago, i.e. the wing tip is on the ground on the carpet and
the fuselage is rolled so the spar box lines up with the raised wing
spar. Then slide the wing on the carpet to insert the spar.

I'd hate to see the inventive caveman's effort go to waste and prefer
to use wheels.

Andy