What are the Pros and Cons of using the "ForeFlight Mobile EFB" app in Sailplanes as opposed to, say, "iGlide" or "navITer" ?

jstodaro

Mar 24, 2017, 2:36:43 PM3/24/17
Hello everyone,

Are there are any sailplane pilots out there who currently use/or have used the "ForeFlight Mobile EFB" app (on their iPhone/Android) for cross country/soaring ?

I can't imagine there would be, but, I have to ask, as my 30-day-free-trial will expire on April 10th, 2017.

Anyway, I've explored much of its functionality/features using my "X-Plane 11" flightsim along with ForeFlight (running on my iPhone 7 Plus), and it seems to be working just fine.

Your thoughts?

Andrzej Kobus

Mar 24, 2017, 6:23:56 PM3/24/17
I use it for data, alerts and maps. You still need to have a glide computer. If don't plan to land at other airports or you do not have in flight connection, e.g. Stratus 2s then I would not spend the money on this product. It is simply an addition not a replacement of glide computer like iGlide or Oudie.

gsch...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 9:07:44 PM3/24/17
One other obvious comparison: visibility. Perhaps newer versions are better, but my iPad is not visible in full sun. The Oudie is very bright.

Mike Schumann

Mar 25, 2017, 1:58:51 PM3/25/17
On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 2:36:43 PM UTC-4, jstodaro wrote:
I use the FltPlan GO app on my iPhone and iPAD to give me a moving map display with sectional charts. This is a FREE app with virtually the same functionality of Foreflight. It also interfaces with the $149 dual frequency pingBuddy2 ADS-B receiver to display weather and traffic data (to reliably see transponder equipped aircraft that are not ADS-B equipped, your aircraft needs to be ADS-B OUT equipped).

I have a tinted canopy in my Phoenix Motorglider, so I have no problems reading my iPAD display.

kinsell

Mar 26, 2017, 12:04:21 PM3/26/17
Good to see a low-power option for the receivers. Built a Stratux, but
they recommend a small, loud fan for the unit. The receiver modules run
really hot.