FREE Checkrides and FREE room at Marfa Gliders, Texas

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Aug 22, 2014, 11:05:41 PM8/22/14
It's August already? "Season" almost over where you live? Need to "finish" your glider rating? Know anyone at your club that is "close" to being ready for their glider checkride?

First, get all of the required FAR part 61 SOLO flights logged at your home glider club (and your FAA written knowledge test if required) then schedule your FREE checkride (and FREE room in my guest house) at Marfa in southwest Texas beginning October 10, 2014 through March 15, 2015.

E-mail Burt at marfagliders at a o l dot.com if you are serious about finishing your glider rating for PVT, COM or CFI glider "add-on" or reinstatement of your expired CFIG (which now counts as a Flight Review and renews all of your other CFI ratings.)

El Paso (ELP) is the nearest airline terminal. Plan a week if you can -- might be shorter but why rush it? Take some time to enjoy the scenery of our Marfa Plateau, the Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Most applicants take some dual instruction with me in my ASK-21 at Marfa before the checkride at my regular rates, unchanged since 2010. i only take one or two qualified applicants a week so contact me soon to discuss your recent glider flying experience and my availability.

Again, you need to complete all of your SOLO flights per FAR part 61 BEFORE coming to Marfa.
If you need a "sign off" (endorsements) for the Practical Test ("checkride") we can accomplish that here at Marfa.

Are you already a glider rated pilot? Consider my "Rusty Glider Pilot" course to get you "current" per FAR's and most important, PROFICIENT as a safe glider pilot. I'm told that I am fun to fly with and you'll learn (or re-learn) some essential glider flying skills with me in my new ASK-21. Basic concepts my father taught me in the sixties: Old school soaring secrets, smooth precise flying and "reading the sky."

I'll say it again . . . "Someday" is NOW!

Burt Compton, Master Flight Instructor / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa Gliders Soaring Center in southwest Texas (site of "The Sun Ship Game" movie)
www.flygliders.com

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Aug 30, 2014, 10:21:24 AM8/30/14
Response to "Initial" Flight Instructor free checkride inquiries.

I'm booking free checkrides this fall and winter at Marfa, Texas, many to finish their Private and Commercial glider ratings but mostly for Flight Instructor "add-on", renewal and reinstatements, which was the majority of the free checkrides that I have conducted over the past two years. Good for soaring in the USA!

Note that I am not yet authorized to conduct "initial" CFI Practical Tests as the FAA prefers to conduct those tests to "touch" the new CFI's. However, some Designated Pilot Examiners ( I don't have a list of the DPE's) are allowed to conduct "initials", usually on a one-time letter of authority from their FAA FSDO. While I can do CFI "add-ons", renewals and reinstatements, I am not able to do "initials" because my FAA FSDO has a current glider rated Inspector, so he will conduct the initial CFI checkrides in my district of west Texas. No checkride fee when you fly with a FAA Inspector.

For your "initial" Flight Instructor - Glider Practical Test ("checkride") contact your local FAA Flight Standard District Office. A list of FSDO's is found at www.faa.gov

In the meantime if you have logged all of your required solo PIC flights (per FAR part 61) then consider finishing your PVT, COM or CFIG "add-on", as well as your CFIG renewal or reinstatement with me at Marfa in southwest Texas. No shortcuts, no "crash" courses. My checkrides are comprehensive and to the FAA Practical Test Standards.

So . . . free checkride, free room. ASK-21 sailplane. Wonderful scenery. "Someday in NOW."

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Oct 8, 2014, 9:57:43 PM10/8/14
Free Glider Rating Checkrides (and free room) update:
October is almost booked up.
Have openings in NOV and DEC 2014 and to mid-January 2015.
(Yes, I will fly during the December holidays.)

JAN 1 - 15 is open.
FEB 1 - 24 is open.
FEB 25 - March 3: I'm not available.
(Must attend the SSF / SSA meetings in Greenville, SC on FEB 28th.)

Returning to Marfa after March 4 for more flying.

I will accept two applicants a week so bring a pal and get it done.
You cannot beat this offer to finish what you've started!

Let's talk about dates and possibilities.

Burt
e-mail: marfagliders at aol dott com

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Nov 2, 2014, 8:06:36 AM11/2/14

Another free checkride for a Commercial Glider rating completed at Marfa in west Texas.

Who's next? Contact me to discuss the possibilities. Offer expires March, 2015.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Nov 8, 2014, 12:43:00 AM11/8/14

Responding to e-mails to me from foreign glider pilots overseas: Yes, a foreign glider pilot qualifies for my free checkride and free room at Marfa, Texas, USA. I have accomplished over 40 glider rating Practical Tests ("checkrides") for foreign glider pilots as a Designated Pilot Examiner. US citizenship is not required by the FAA but the applicant must be able to read, write, speak and understand English. Unlike many foreign countries, no FAA medical certificate is required for any level of US glider pilot certificate including CFI-G.

If you hold a FAA Restricted pilot certificate "Based Upon Your Foreign License" (and based upon your foreign medical certificate, if applicable) my checkride offer CANNOT add any glider rating to a FAA Restricted certificate. That can be done through the FAA but it is another time-consuming process with the FAA verifying your foreign license and glider ratings held in your home country.

For a foreign pilot to qualify and be endorsed for an unrestricted "real" FAA PVT, COM or CFI Glider certificate Practical Test ("checkride") you must first study and pass the FAA Aeronautical Knowledge Test ("written") for the glider rating sought at a FAA approved computer testing center, unless you hold a "real" unrestricted FAA pilot certificate (such as in airplanes, like a US "transition" pilot.)

Your glider SOLO flights flown overseas COUNT if you present a legible logbook to prove those flights. The FAA (CFR part 61) requires a bare minimum of 10 solos for PVT, 20 solos for COM.

Then log dual flights with a US CFI-G within the two months preceding the month of the checkride month and get the "recommendation" endorsements from a US CFI-G quoting the appropriate FAA Regulations (part 61) for the aeronautical knowledge and skills. Sample endorsements are in the SSA / SSF Glider Pilot Logbook.

There are no TSA background checks required for glider training thanks to our hard-working SSA staff and our Gov't. Liaison Committee along with input from several SSA volunteers. (Big Thanks!) This waiver was published by the TSA and can be found on the www.ssa.org website.

OK, I hope this process I have described makes sense to the foreign pilots -- contact me directly for clarification and to discuss the possibilities of earning a US FAA pilot certificate, in the glider category.

Trivia: The FAA defines what many of us call our US pilot license as a Pilot Certificate. The FAA then defines what foreign pilots hold as a "license", I suppose to clarify the distinction.

Whatever, let's go fly!

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Nov 14, 2014, 12:06:11 AM11/14/14
A short (less than 3 minutes) video on how part of your checkride might look this winter at Marfa in southwest Texas. Those are the Davis Mountains to the north. Big Bend National Park is south of Marfa. MRF Airport elevation is 4,850' msl. Enjoy the scenery at http://vimeo.com/67137849

soar...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2014, 1:21:14 AM11/14/14
Very nice Video, ending in very good landing. I am surprised he did not clear the runway at the end of the roll-out. Perhaps this is your private field, and there was not unexpected traffic.
Heinz

Dan Marotta

Nov 14, 2014, 11:04:02 AM11/14/14
Nice video.  ...And it appeared the Cessna waiting on the right was the tow plane and the man walking from the left was going to hook 'em up for another go.
Dan Marotta

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Dec 10, 2014, 11:08:59 PM12/10/14
Another successful checkride. David from Greater Boston Soaring earned his Private Pilot Certificate with Glider category rating with me today at Marfa, Texas. He is "glider only", not power, yet. He arrived well prepared in the essential knowledge and skills which greatly contributed to his success. Who's next?

slrdave

Dec 12, 2014, 2:03:05 PM12/12/14
On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:08:59 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
> Another successful checkride. David from Greater Boston Soaring earned his Private Pilot Certificate with Glider category rating with me today at Marfa, Texas. He is "glider only", not power, yet. He arrived well prepared in the essential knowledge and skills which greatly contributed to his success. Who's next?

Burt, Thanks for a great week. Taking the extra time allowed me to get acclimated and turn it into a mini gliding vacation (Except for the day of the test. Those types of days never feel like a vacation!)

David

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Dec 14, 2014, 12:25:34 PM12/14/14

I have an extra slot open for a checkride now to JAN 15.
Also available JAN 27 - FEB 23. MAR 6 - 31, 2015.
Accepting two applicants per week, including Christmas to New Year's.
Contact me to discuss the possibilities and dates.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Dec 26, 2014, 7:01:46 PM12/26/14
I've had three applicants this winter season delay their visit to Marfa for their free checkride (and free room) because they failed to pass the FAA Aeronautical Knowledge Test for Private Pilot Glider, commonly called the "written test." Since we have no testing center near Marfa, TX, applicants who need to take the "written" must make an appointment for the glider-specific test at an FAA approved computer testing center near their home. (You will also show the testing folks an endorsement from a CFI to take the test.) If you miss any questions as noted on the original embossed test results paper please find the answers to those questions and have them ready for your checkride. Keep that paper clean as you must give the original to the Examiner before the checkride verbal portion begins.

So how to study for the written test?
This is an excellent glider-specific resource, the Glider Pilot's Ground School exam prep books:
http://www.gliderpilotsgroundschool.com/gpgs-faa-exam-books.html

If you already hold a FAA Pilot Certificate for powered aircraft you will not need to pass the written however, I find that most applicants fly the maneuvers quite well but struggle with the book work when preparing for the verbal portion of the Practical Test ("checkride.") Perhaps studying in advance for the written test (that they do not need to take) would help prepare them for the verbal questions. Bob Wander's "Checkride Made Easy" books are one of several resources for prepping for the verbal portion of the checkride.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Jan 3, 2015, 1:23:40 AM1/3/15
Just recalibrating my point of view from my previous post . . . I must say that 95% of the applicants coming to Marfa, Texas, for their PVT, COM or CFI Glider checkride arrive very well-prepared. Besides the recommended texts, I also send them my handouts in advance that are specific to flying my Schleicher ASK-21, our local procedures and the Marfa Airport (KMRF) environment.

Applicants (and their instructors) must note that the ESSENTIAL reading is the FAA Practical Test Standards (PTS) for PVT, COM or CFIG, available for free online at www.faa.gov This booklet must be read cover to cover (including the introduction) as soon as the thought of training for your checkride comes to mind! Everything that I will ask you to explain or fly is in your applicable PTS. Easy reading. No mysteries.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Jan 10, 2015, 12:15:58 PM1/10/15
My free checkride / free room offer is extended to JUNE 30, 2015.
Let's discuss dates and details.

Burt Compton, CFIG / DPE
Marfa Gliders, southwest Texas

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Feb 9, 2015, 11:24:29 PM2/9/15
Another successful checkride! John T. from Maryland completed the reinstatement of his Flight Instructor certificate with me today at Marfa, Texas. He flew gliders at the USAF Academy and after 14 years flying F-16's he is getting back to soaring! In addition to some pre-checkride training in my ASK-21, he enjoyed some nice thermal soaring (yes indeed, in "winter"in the southern sunbelt of the USA.) John arrived well prepared in the essential knowledge and skills which contributed to his success. Who's next?

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Feb 14, 2015, 10:52:45 AM2/14/15
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 10:24:29 PM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
> Another successful checkride! John T. from Maryland completed the reinstatement of his Flight Instructor certificate with me today at Marfa, Texas.

But wait, there's more! John T. allowed extra days after his CFI checkride to enjoy the mountain scenery around Marfa, visit the McDonald Observatory telescopes, dine in our fine restaurants plus take ground and flight training with me to be endorsed as a tow pilot after his study of the "Towpilot Manual" booklet published by Bob Wander. So we've mentored another CFIG and a towpilot in just one visit to Marfa in west Texas. Who's next?

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Mar 19, 2015, 8:39:48 PM3/19/15
Another Commercial Glider Pilot certificate issued by me today at Marfa in southwest Texas. Arno L. (Boeing 747 and helicopter pilot) will soon be giving Cadet rides in the Civil Air Patrol Blanik L-23 in the Dallas area. He plans to return to Marfa next year for a free Flight Instructor-Glider checkride. He enjoyed some thermaling instruction here as thermals topped at 11,400' MSL this week. Not that high really because Marfa airport is almost 5,000' MSL but high enough to see Guadalupe Peak 100 miles to the north of our Davis Mountains. Another COM-Glider applicant arrives next week. My free checkride offer is good to June 30, 2015. E-mail me to discuss details and dates.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Mar 24, 2015, 5:03:25 PM3/24/15
One more Glider category add-on rating earned today on a Commercial Pilot Certificate for Jim A. from Houston.

He arrived well prepared for the verbal portion of the checkride and after some pre-checkride polishing on the FAA Practical Test Standards (among the texts, Bob Wander's "Checkride Made Easy" and "Safer Soaring" books) he completed the tasks with me in my ASK-21, in spite of a bit of wind and some pesky west Texas thermals on tow!

My free checkride offer is good to June 30, 2015. E-mail me to discuss dates and details.

Burt at Marfa, southwest Texas, home of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring and where "The Sun Ship Game" soaring movie was filmed at the 1969 US Nationals.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

May 3, 2015, 7:33:26 PM5/3/15
Another CFIG is back in action. Dennis S. from San Antonio reinstated his expired Flight Instructor Certificate today in my ASK-21 at Marfa, Texas, USA.

USA Flight Instructors must renew every 24 months, but for various reasons some let the privilege lapse so a checkride will reinstate (or renew if less than 24 months) a CFIG.

This checkride renews / reinstates all aircraft category instructor ratings and now counts as a Flight Review per the revised FAR 61.56 but ONLY if the renewal or reinstatement is by an actual "flying" checkride.

Bob Wander's "Glider Flight Instructor . . . Made Easy" book is one reference for current, expired or potential CFIG's. Find it at www.bobwander.com along with the PVT and COM books.

You can download the PVT, COM, or CFI Practical Test Standards (PTS) at www.faa.gov

So who's next? Your PVT, COM or CFI checkride is FREE until June 30, 2015.
(I might make the same offer next fall-winter 2015 - 2016.)

E-mail for details: marfaglidersatAlphaOscarLima dot CharlieOscarMike

Burt Compton, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
website: www.flygliders.com

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

May 18, 2015, 4:32:55 PM5/18/15
A new CFIG! Doug M. from Nevada added the Glider category to his Flight Instructor Certificate today in my ASK-21 at Marfa, Texas, USA.

About 50% of the checkrides I conduct are for Flight Instructors adding the glider category, renewing or reinstating their expired CFI. Great to see so many pilots interested in becoming mentors and instructors. The recent FAA change to the Flight Review FAR 61.56 now allows the CFIG practical test (only an actual flying CFI checkride) to count as a Flight Review (it was not that way in the past.)

Bob Wander's "Glider Flight Instructor . . . Made Easy" book is one reference for current, expired or potential CFIG's. Find it at www.bobwander.com along with the PVT and COM books. Renewing CFIG's or potential CFIG's can also attend one of several Soaring Safety Foundation Flight Instructor Refresher Courses (FIRC) offered each year by the SSF across the USA. Learn more at www.soaringsafety.org

I also offer free checkrides for Private and Commercial Glider pilots, whether for initial certification or added category to your FAA pilot certificate. To qualify, you must have completed all of the FAR part 61 required solo flights at your home soaring site before finishing your "I'll do it someday" glider rating at Marfa.

You can download the PVT, COM, or CFI Practical Test Standards (PTS) at www.faa.gov

So next fall and winter (2015-2016), come spend a week in the beautiful mountain country (elevation 5,000'+ msl) of the Big Bend of southwest Texas and finish that glider rating!
Send an e-mail to me for details and dates.
For tourism info, see www.visitmarfa.com
Gotta go fly now . . .
Burt

noel.wade

May 19, 2015, 12:45:45 AM5/19/15
Thanks for continuing to offer this generous service to the soaring community, Burt!

--Noel

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

May 29, 2015, 10:54:31 PM5/29/15
The last "free checkride" for my current offer . . .
David R. of Pennsylvania returned to Marfa this week to upgrade to Commercial Pilot (Glider) in my ASK-21 sailplane. Last year he earned his Private Pilot certificate with me (replacing his "based upon a foreign license" FAA restricted certificate.)

Next fall and winter (2015-2016), visit the beautiful mountain scenery (elevation 5,000'+ msl) of the Davis Mountains near the Big Bend of southwest Texas and finish your glider rating!
Send an e-mail to me to discuss dates and details:
marfagliders at alpha oscar lima . charlie oscar mike

For tourism info: www.visitmarfa.com
"Someday is NOW."

David Reitter

May 30, 2015, 9:10:11 PM5/30/15
Thanks, Burt! My "vacation with a purpose" was excellent. Beautiful scenery and weather indeed, and my girlfriend and I enjoyed Marfa's restaurants and hangouts as well as a big tour around the Chinati Foundation. There must be a reason why we came back for more :)

PS.: The checkride was by the book, in a new ASK-21, with someone dedicated to promoting safety. What's not to like?

Dan Marotta

May 31, 2015, 11:16:10 AM5/31/15
But...  Did you see the Marfa Lights?

--
Dan Marotta

David Reitter

May 31, 2015, 2:30:54 PM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 9:16:10 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

> But...  Did you see the Marfa Lights?

:-) Listening to random people in awe of some car headlights coming down the mountains, and pointing in excitement to the flashing red beacon on top of an antenna tower was absolutely worth it...

The old airport where the nationals once took place and The Sunship Game was filmed is right there, too. Easy to see from the air, the buildings are all gone.

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Jul 9, 2015, 11:27:13 PM7/9/15
Another CFIG renewal today at Marfa. Sherman G. and his family from Dallas enjoying the scenery and dynamic "Sun Ship Game" weather. Inquire now about my free checkride offer for PVT, COM ad CFI Glider starting in October after I return from flying in Germany. More information in my previous posts. "Someday is Now!"