Hans Werner Grosse died at 98

john firth

Mar 8, 2021, 4:16:08 PM3/8/21
First I heard was on the Ten Cate podcast; HWG was a great
pilot and a strong character; I knew him somewhat from
several contests.
Hans-Werner was a fitness fiend; after the 1972 MIT symposium on motorless flight, there was a BBQ party on the Buzzards Bay beach for authors etc.; HWG and I were at the party. There was a bonfire, much appreciated on a cold and windy Sept. evening, and most of us were quaffing beer close to the fire.
HWG removed his clothes revealing swimming trunks, and dove into the harbour and swam around for 20mins!
JMF

Tom BravoMike

Mar 8, 2021, 5:41:03 PM3/8/21
Yes, I only learned about his passing away today after watching the video below from June 6, 2014 when I was checking how old he was then (92 yrs old in 2014). R.I.P!

The video's title is 'The Last Flight?", a 796 km triangle at 104 km/h average:

https://youtu.be/iiqHjwe0YFA

Anybody knows if the .igc file from that flight can found somewhere on the net? I have tried OLC with no success.

Tom BravoMike

Mar 8, 2021, 5:46:14 PM3/8/21
> Yes, I only learned about his passing away today after watching the video below from June 6, 2014 when I was checking how old he was then (92 yrs old in 2014). R.I.P!
>
> The video's title is 'The Last Flight?", a 796 km triangle at 104 km/h average:
>
> https://youtu.be/iiqHjwe0YFA
>
> Anybody knows if the .igc file from that flight can found somewhere on the net? I have tried OLC with no success.

Correction, the flight can be found on the OLC:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=3741177