Sun Aviator users??

Doug Rinckes

Oct 6, 1992, 6:16:57 PM10/6/92
Is there anyone out there with Aviator for Sun workstations?

I have subscribed to the aviator mailing list but am getting
nothing at all.

Specifically, are there any more aircraft descriptions and
scenery available?

--
Doug Rinckes, Network Administrator | My companys opinions are
Telecommunications Systems Support | like my companys cars -

Hannu Kauppinen

Oct 7, 1992, 3:37:44 AM10/7/92
> Is there anyone out there with Aviator for Sun workstations?

What is Aviator? If it is a flight simulator for Sun, could someone
tell where to get it (if freeware)!
And if someone knows other fligth simulators for Sun, please let me know!

--
+------------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Hannu Kauppinen, University of Oulu | phone: +358-(9)81-5532795 |

Bill Woodall

Oct 7, 1992, 5:57:29 PM10/7/92
In article 92Oct7...@tk7.oulu.fi, h...@tk7.oulu.fi (Hannu Kauppinen) writes:
>> Is there anyone out there with Aviator for Sun workstations?
>
>What is Aviator? If it is a flight simulator for Sun, could someone

Here is a blurp from Aviator's man page;

DESCRIPTION
aviator is an advanced realtime networked flight simulator program for
the Sun GX family of workstations. aviator offers highly detailed and
accurate terrain graphics using USGS data and aircraft dynamics.

>tell where to get it (if freeware)!

Not exactly, more like teaseware, but price at ~$50 a seat.

>And if someone knows other fligth simulators for Sun, please let me know!

Email ahi-in...@ahi.com for more Aviator info and yes there is
a PD flight sim out there (something like ACM) look for on archie.

.........Bill,

Man's capacity to learn is not fixed in any ordinary
sense. It is not fixed in terms of the responses it will
produce; it is not fixed in terms of absolute level of
knowledge it will achive. -

Ted

Oct 7, 1992, 9:45:24 PM10/7/92
In article <1992Oct7.2...@qualcomm.com> bwoo...@qualcomm.com writes:
>In article 92Oct7...@tk7.oulu.fi, h...@tk7.oulu.fi (Hannu Kauppinen) writes:
>>And if someone knows other fligth simulators for Sun, please let me know!
>
> Email ahi-in...@ahi.com for more Aviator info and yes there is
> a PD flight sim out there (something like ACM) look for on archie.
>
>.........Bill,

Uh, what name do we use for a search pattern in archie?

Thanks

Ted
--
"All my life's a circle, but I can't tell you why..."-- Harry Chapin
"Words to live by..."-- Bruce Springsteen on "Tribute to Harry Chapin"

Mats Löfkvist

Oct 9, 1992, 1:51:45 PM10/9/92
ACM can be found on export.lcs.mit.edu as contrib/acm.2.4.tar.Z.

It should work on any X-windows machine, but really needs quite a bit
of cpu (and graphics) performance to do well, even though the graphics
is VERY simple (no fancy landscape with mountains and valleys to fly
around in this one, buy Aviator if you want that :-).

I'm using a hacked version that will redraw the screen as often as possible
(instead of using a compiled-in update rate as in the original source),
on a SparcStation IPX this results in 12 to 18 frames per second
depending on how much there is to paint on the screen.
(A SparcStation IPC without the GX graphics can handle about 4 fps,
a HP 720 easily goes over 30 fps.)

The best part with ACM is that you can dogfight against a friend, the
worst part is that it gets slower when more players are connected :-(

_
Mats Lofkvist
d87...@nada.kth.se

Tom Brusehaver

Oct 9, 1992, 3:28:37 PM10/9/92
ACM is a multi user X based F-16 vs Mig 2[13?] simulator. It was
written on an SGI machine, but works well on Sun SPARC's, RS-6000's
and probably many other machines. There are several pathes around
for it, and I heard someone was working on version 3.0.

I know it is on ftp.UU.NET:
pub/window-sys/X/contrib:
-rw-r--r-- 1 archive 240457 Sep 21 1991 acm.2.4.tar.Z

Screen updates are awful on 386's (SCO Unix), Sun 3/[568]0's and
probably other non-risc machines.

(I have too many hours flying it to be objective, a friend nearly lost
his job because he had more hours than I on this game.)

Good Luck.
Tommy

Eduardo Asbun

Oct 11, 1992, 5:17:09 PM10/11/92
In article <D87-MAL.92...@oddjob.nada.kth.se>, d87...@oddjob.nada.kth.se (Mats Lfkvist) writes:
> ACM can be found on export.lcs.mit.edu as contrib/acm.2.4.tar.Z.
> ^^^
> It should work on any X-windows machine, but really needs quite a bit
> of cpu (and graphics) performance to do well, even though the graphics
> is VERY simple.
> [deleted...]

> The best part with ACM is that you can dogfight against a friend, the
> worst part is that it gets slower when more players are connected :-(
>
> _
> Mats Lofkvist
> d87...@nada.kth.se

Seems to me ACM is worth a look... Does a good ol' netter know how to
extract files in TAR format? The UNIX manual is not very helpful in
this case...

Thanks in advance!

Regards, ACM lover-to-be :) (Edward Asbun)
--
Eduardo Asbun
as...@ecn.purdue.edu | Purdue University

Brian Matthew Aljian

Oct 11, 1992, 4:53:04 PM10/11/92

In article <D87-MAL.92...@oddjob.nada.kth.se> d87...@oddjob.nada.kth.se (Mats Löfkvist) writes:
>It should work on any X-windows machine, but really needs quite a bit
>of cpu (and graphics) performance to do well, even though the graphics
>is VERY simple (no fancy landscape with mountains and valleys to fly
>around in this one, buy Aviator if you want that :-).

Will it work on Sparc SLC's? (not color)

>Mats Lofkvist
>d87...@nada.kth.se

Brian M. Aljian // Only Amiga
smy...@cats.ucsc.edu // makes it
"Procrastinators do it tomorrow." -- fortune -os \\// possible...

John P. Mechalas

Oct 11, 1992, 9:09:18 PM10/11/92
In article <1992Oct11.2...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> as...@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Eduardo Asbun) writes:

>Seems to me ACM is worth a look... Does a good ol' netter know how to
>extract files in TAR format? The UNIX manual is not very helpful in
>this case...
>
>Thanks in advance!

For files in tar and compressed format, try the following:

zcat <filename> | tar -xvf -

Be sure to do this in a /tmp directory. :)

--
John Mechalas "I'm not an actor, but
mech...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu I play one on TV."

Mats Löfkvist

Oct 13, 1992, 2:11:15 PM10/13/92
In article <1ba47g...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU> smy...@cats.ucsc.edu (Brian Matthew Aljian) writes:

Will it [ACM] work on Sparc SLC's? (not color)

Yes.