What's happening with Aviator on Suns?

Adam Curtin

Feb 12, 1994, 9:49:08 AM2/12/94
I've been out of it for a while. My SPARCstation has the very wonderful
Aviator v1.2, which I understand was the last free version. Just as I lost
my net access last time, 1.5.1 was coming out, just a demo version which
you then had to pay $100 for. Although 1.5.1 retained the best features of
1.2, namely ability to dogfight with other aviators on the same Ethernet,
and STUNNING terrain data from satellite mappings, it didn't add computer-
generated bad guys, or take-off and landing, or any of that stuff, so it
was a bit tedious to play on your own once you'd dodged in and out of the
Grand Canyon, or Hawaii, for a while.

Does anyone know:

- is aviator still around?
- what's the latest version?
- does it have any more interest for the stand-alone aviator?
- how much is it?

Ta.

A.
---
Home: Stevenage ad...@ifeng.demon.co.uk | At least now I live and
Work: Borehamwood dunno yet | work in the same county

Mats Löfkvist

Feb 12, 1994, 12:31:06 PM2/12/94
The latest official (?) version I know about is a 1.8.something that I
got a demo of by ftp from somewhere last year. The only difference from
1.5 I have noticed is that it was converted to openwindows (from sunview).

A prerelease of a newer version (2.0?) was demoed in the fall of
1992 (yes, thats ~18 months ago). It had support for pc joysticks
(separate pc stick of your choice to serial port conversion box)
and you could use the mouse to look around to the sides etc.
I think it also had support for take-offs and landings.

I have tried to get information (from the swedish distributor) when
this new version would be available, but all I got so far is something
about the persons doing aviator are busy with other work at sun :-(

Besides the new aviator looking cool, I would really want to get the
conversion box from pc stick to serial. Would be perfect for acm...

_
Mats Lofkvist
d87...@nada.kth.se

Tom Corson

Feb 14, 1994, 5:24:13 PM2/14/94
In article 12...@ifeng.demon.co.uk, ad...@ifeng.demon.co.uk (Adam Curtin) writes:
> Does anyone know:
>
> - is aviator still around?
> - what's the latest version?

1.8 is the latest I know of.

> - does it have any more interest for the stand-alone aviator?
> - how much is it?

$49 from Qualix in SF bay area.

You should be able to get any questions answered as well as UK
distributor info via email to "mark...@ahi.com"...

HTH,
TC