Steve Wozniak

Ted Huffmire

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00
I am interested in the details of Steve Wozniak's
famous accident in February, 1981.

Unfortunately, the online NTSB accident database
only goes back to 1983.

My instructor told me that Mr. Wozniak did not
even have a private pilot's license when he
took three passengers in his high-performance
Beechcraft Bonanza A36 to the skies.
Several articles said that he experienced
an engine failure after takeoff out of
Scotts Valley airport in California.
Several articles online said that he was
seriously injured, with facial injuries,
dental injuries, and memory loss. What about
his passengers? How seriously were
they injured?

My instructor brought this up because I am
learning about constant-speed propellers.
He said that Mr. Wozniak had the prop control
pulled all the way out and the throttle control
pushed all the way in. It seems
like a reasonable explanation. Was this
the real cause of the crash?

Ted Huffmire

Ed

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00
Heres what lawyer trollers look like.
Go away scumbag.

Juan Jimenez

Sep 18, 2000, 10:42:48 PM9/18/00
There is no airport in Scotts Valley. If you'd ever been to Scotts
Valley you'd know how absurd this sounds. <chuckle>

Ted Huffmire

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
This accident happened over 19 years
ago. I don't think so, buddy.

Ted Huffmire

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Obviously I'm referring to the late Scotts Valley Skypark,
now partially under a housing development.

-T

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:22:16 -0700, Ted Huffmire <huff...@erd.epson.com> wrote:
: I am interested in the details of Steve Wozniak's
: famous accident in February, 1981.

: Unfortunately, the online NTSB accident database
: only goes back to 1983.

I imagine that you could contact NTSB and request a copy of their reports
on the accident.

- A

jeanie

Sep 19, 2000, 11:19:56 PM9/19/00
Are you sure it was Steve Wozniak, I remember it was about Steve Jobs.
Sounds much more like his personality than Woz's.

Scott
N7554W PA28-180
A <tras...@mattress.atww.org> wrote in message

Orval Fairbairn

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
In article <w1Wx5.144047$3E6.1...@news1.alsv1.occa.home.com>, "jeanie"
<j...@jdw.com> wrote:

> Are you sure it was Steve Wozniak, I remember it was about Steve Jobs.
> Sounds much more like his personality than Woz's.

No, it was Woz. It was also one of the excuses cited by the newly-elected,
left-wing, Santa Cruz City Council to close the airport as "unsafe."
Woz was a fine example of having more money than flying experience (or,
perhaps, ability). He was a newly-minted private pilot (Cherokees and
Tomahawks) who bought a new Bonanza and flew it into Santa Cruz Skypark
without proper checkout.

I used to fly my Johnson Rocket into and out of there -- it had a cliff at
one end and a VanGas distributor at the other end and was about 2500 ft
long. It was more intimidating than difficult.

The real criminals here were the SC city council members, who sought a
fast buck at the expense of local pilots.

Marilú + Bjarne Jensen

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
Steve Wozniak, Steve Wozniak, mmmmmm - rings a bell somewhere... who was
that guy ?

Regards
Bjarne

Steven P. McNicoll

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00

"Marilú + Bjarne Jensen" <mbje...@worldonline.dk> wrote in message

> Steve Wozniak, Steve Wozniak, mmmmmm - rings a bell somewhere... who was
> that guy ?

The other Steve of Apple computers.

Roy Smith

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
"Steven P. McNicoll" <ronca...@writeme.com> wrote:
> The other Steve of Apple computers.

And inventor of the SWIM.

--
Roy Smith <r...@popmail.med.nyu.edu>
CP-ASEL-IA, CFI-ASE-IA

Brad Mohr

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
In article <39C69598...@erd.epson.com>, Ted Huffmire
<huff...@erd.epson.com> wrote:
>I am interested in the details of Steve Wozniak's
>famous accident in February, 1981.

Not definitive, but from a pretty well-researched book...

"On February 7, 1981, as he was taking off from a little airport near
his home in the Santa Cruz Mountains, his single-engine Beechcraft
shuddered and crashed. He woke up in the hospital several days later,
unable to remember what had happened. For the next five weeks he could
remember neither the crash nor anything that occurred after it, not even
a conversaion he'd had a few minutes before. Finally he woke up in the
middle of the night and told his fiancee--who'd been with him in the
plane, along with her brother and his girlfirend--that he'd just dreamed
they'd had a plane crash. She told him it was no dream; and when he
realized she was right, he decided it was time to take a break."

Frank Rose, "West of Eden: The End of Innocence at Apple Computer,"
Viking Books, 1989, p 52

-Brad

--
Brad Mohr
bm...@seanet.com

54w

Sep 21, 2000, 10:55:38 PM9/21/00
> And inventor of the SWIM.

Ok I give what was / is SWIM?

"Roy Smith" <r...@popmail.med.nyu.edu> wrote in message

Ted Huffmire

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00
OK, here is the official NTSB report:

FILE DATE LOCATION AIRCRAFT DATA
INJURIES FLIGHT PILOT DATA
F S
M/N PURPOSE

3-3552 81/2/7 SANTA CRUZ,CA BEECH A36TC CR- 0
1 0 NONCOMMERCIAL PRIVATE, AGE 30, UNK/NR
TIME - 1437 N2WZ PX- 0
1 2 PLEASURE/PERSONAL TRANSP TOTAL HOURS, UNK/NR IN
DAMAGE-SUBSTANTIAL OT- 0
0 0 TYPE, NOT INSTRUMENT

RATED.
NAME OF AIRPORT - SKYPARK
DEPARTURE POINT INTENDED DESTINATION
SANTA CRUZ,CA SAN DIEGO,CA
TYPE OF ACCIDENT
PHASE OF OPERATION
STALL: MUSH
TAKEOFF: INITIAL CLIMB

PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
PILOT IN COMMAND - PREMATURE LIFT-OFF
FACTOR(S)
PILOT IN COMMAND - LACK OF FAMILIARITY WITH AIRCRAFT
MISCELLANEOUS - UNQUALIFIED PERSON OPERATED AIRCRAFT
REMARKS- AFT TKOF,ANGLED FM RWY HDG,MUSHED,HIT 12FT
EMBANKMENT.NOT CERTD HI PERF ACFT IAW 14CFR61.31(E).