Sheppard AFB Secret Air Force

Matthew Hamer

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

I have a USAF 1997 yearbook, published in the UK, and generally seeming to be
accurate and well researched.

The yearbook includes the USAF/ANG/AFRES bases and order of battle.

Under AETC, the 82nd TW, at Sheppard AFB in Texas, is shown as having the
following aircraft assigned :

GYA-10A, GA-10A, GB-52G (!), GF-4D/E, GF-15A/B, GF-111A/E etc. etc.

As it is a very safe bet these are not flying aircraft, I am left assuming
they are either simulators, or, more probably, ground instructional airframes.

Is this what the "G" Designator means?

Matt.

Steve Vise

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97
to Matthew Hamer

HI Matt

I recall playing on the F-4, F-111, and the F-15 when I was in tech
school at Sheppard (don't recall the B-52 or the A-10, must have arrived
after my stay there). The plays were indeed for training us to be
"aircraft mechanics"

I have no idea what the G stands for, maybe "grounded".

But thanks for the memory jog!

Steve Vise

F 94C

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

>GYA-10A, GA-10A, GB-52G (!), GF-4D/E, GF-15A/B, GF-111A/E etc. etc.
>
>As it is a very safe bet these are not flying aircraft, I am left
assuming
>they are either simulators, or, more probably, ground instructional
>airframes.
>
>Is this what the "G" Designator means?
>
>Matt.

G = Permanently Grounded

Will

Thierry Van Pevenaeyge

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

You are right, "G" means ground instructional airframes.

thierry.vanpevenaeyge.skynet.be

ARoss10661

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

G is the designator for a ground trainer

Peterson

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

These were bomb loading/unloading training aircraft. The schoolhouse
for this is Shephard AFB

Cory

Phil Hastie

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

Matthew Hamer wrote:

> I have a USAF 1997 yearbook, published in the UK, and generally
> seeming to be
> accurate and well researched.
>
> The yearbook includes the USAF/ANG/AFRES bases and order of battle.
>
> Under AETC, the 82nd TW, at Sheppard AFB in Texas, is shown as having
> the
> following aircraft assigned :
>

> GYA-10A, GA-10A, GB-52G (!), GF-4D/E, GF-15A/B, GF-111A/E etc. etc.
>
> As it is a very safe bet these are not flying aircraft, I am left
> assuming
> they are either simulators, or, more probably, ground instructional
> airframes.
>
> Is this what the "G" Designator means?
>
> Matt.

I believe "G" means Ground instructional Airframe

Phil Hastie

Thierry Van Pevenaeyge

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

You are right Phil