Fun Hunting in Eastern Europe. Part II.

Yevgeniy Chizhikov

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
At the end of December, 1942, JG54 began to change their BF-109's on
FW-190A-4, which was superior to BF-109 in most regards. But number of
losses did not went down. Total change to FW-190 was only completed by
May, 1943.

On January 9, already known to us Lutenant Golubev, had been leading
flight of 4 I-16 type 29 from the 4th GIAP. He attack in area of Ladoga
Lake German fighter of unknown type and destroyed it. Second German
fighter had been damaged by Golubev wingman, but he manage to excape to
the clouds. He crashed later.

JG54 lost two new FW-190's and two aces. To the home base it Gatchina
did not return pilots from the staff "shtaffel" Alfred Detke(33
victories) and Joseph Brehtl(27 victories). It was his FW-190 was
damaged by Golubev's wingman. Berhtl attempted to crash land on the
fuselage and was killed on impact North-East of Mgi.

On January 12, 1943, Golubev's friends from 3rd GIAP meet this new
German fighter. For 15 minute Lieutenant Kabrov had been a lone fighting
off attacks of 4 FW-190 fighters from I.JG54 in his LaGG-3 and survived.
To his help come Captain Zapov and Sergant Shilkov. They quickly shot
down one FW-190. For Lieutenant Walter Meyer(58 victories) for whom it
was first flight in FW-190 was killed. Three remaining FW-190 decided
not to push their luck and got out of the fight.

On February 22, 1943, near the Demyansk, finished his war commander of
Group II Major Hans "Assi" Hann(108 victories). He was one of the three
BF-109G-6 pilots from JG54 which had been shot down in the fight with
Yaks from 485th IAP. Fight had been witness by commander of the Air Army
General Polynin. Polynin had accurately described this fight in his book
"Boevye Marshruty". Major Hann was captured, he only return back to
Germany in 1950. At the same fight Gerhard Beutin(60 victories) and
Arthur Gartner(27 victories).

On March 16, 1943, commander of I.JG54 Hauptman Phillip and Heinz
Nikoleit(19 victories) had made mistake which cost one of them his live.
At that day for protection of artillery targeting aircraft S-126 which
was flying into area of Mgi, had been given only FW-190. Hauptman
Phillip had been trusting experience of his wingman. While as it had
been proven Nikoleit had not been paying attention to aerial situation.
Destruction of the enemy fighter had been ordered to .....(Guess who? -
Y.C.) at that point Captain Golubev from 4th GIAP. This Soviet union
just finished change to La-5 fighters, and naturally were eager to test
their new fighters in fight. Golubev sent two fighters on this mission.
He allowed the popular among pilots Lieutenant Dmitriev take Golubev's
aircraft number 33. Two Soviet pilots from one pass destroyed both
German aircraft. Germans never even saw Soviet fighters. This fast fight
which lasted 11 minutes from take off to landing. Lieutenant Dmitriev
and Stolyarskii' had been credited with victory each.

On March 17, 1943, forward observation positions guided commander of 436
IAP Lutenant-Colonel Panov flying P-40E to attack two BF-109's which had
been hunting behind Soviet lines. He attack the German pair North of
Staraya Russa. After surprised attack one BF-109 turn and run a way to
the West. However his friend continue to fight. For 20 minutes enemies
had been maneuvering in vertical fight, but victory was behind the
Soviet pilot.

Hans Besisseverger(152 victories), commander of Group II, which not long
before that received "Brocly" to his Knight Cross had been killed.
However to his day Hans Besisseverger is presumed MIA. The reason for
that is testimony of Besisseverger's wingman Karl Richter, which states:
"Last thing I saw was BF-109 of the commander fighting with large group
of Soviet fighters". (Yeah, whole one. - Y.C.)

At the end of march, commander of JG54 Colonel Trautloft went up in the
chain of command. Now he commanded "Ost" corp, which had been created
from JG 51, JG 5, and JG 54. At the same time from training "staffel"
had been organized new Group IV. Because of that quantitative size of
"Grunherz" increased by 25%.

At the same time at the end of May, 1943, the "Green Hearts" sign, which
was also called "Green Asses" in Luftwaffe, had been removed from the
JG54 aircraft. "Green Hearts" sign had been proudly displayed on JG54
aircraft from September of 1941, but now they were painted over with
gray paint. It was done in order to atract less attention from Soviet
pilots, among which shooting down JG54 aircraft had been an honorable
thing to do. Except lowering self esteem of "Greenherz" this did nothing
toward lowering JG54 losses.

On April 13, 1943 (Guess who? - Y.C.) Captain Golubev scored his second
and third victory in his La-5. In the pair with his wingman Colonel
Katkov from 61st brigade which was part of 4th GIAP he flew on "free
hunter" mission into area of Porzolovskih Swamps near the Leningrad.
North of the village Bezzabotny Soviet pilots discovered two groups of
FW-190's which had been manuvering on the altitude and away from Soviet
pilots. Golubev gain altitude and attack 2 German fighters. One German
fighters was damaged and began to turn. He conviniently showed the full
area of his wings to La-5's guns. Second burst of guns finished Fw-190.
Commander of the 2nd "shtaffel" of JG54 Lieutenant Zigfrid Matushka(29
victories) could not leave his plane. His plane fall on the mine field
and explouded.

At the same time Captain Golubev continue his fight and destroy one more
German fighter. Theodor Wolfan(17 victories) jump with parashoot and had
been captured by Soviet troops. (Sounds like JG54 had serious problems
with Golubev).

On may 1, 1943, North of Staraya Russa, had been killed Lieutenant Horst
Hanning(98 victories) in fight with Yaks from 485 IAP. He replaces
"Dworf" Vandel on the position of commander 5th "shtaffel" not long
before that. Horst was shot down by leader of the pair Lieutenant
Davydov.

On the May 22, 1943, did not return home pilot from Group II, Walter
Heck(32 victories). His FW-190 had been attacked and destroyed by
captain Romanov, the leader of 4 LaGG-3 fighters from 156th IAP. But
overall Soviet pilots did not perform well and did not prevent 20+
Ju-87s from attacking the rail road bridge and rail road station Volhov.

On may 16, 1943, Captain Zazaev from 86th GIAP achieved his 16th
victory. In area of Novaya Ladoga he destroyed FW-190. His victim was
pilot from Group II Lutenan Verner Lochmann(47 victories) which was
forced to crush land and was captured.

On May 30, 1943, 8 Soviet P-40 from 191st IAP had been involved in
defending Soviet positions from attack of 48 German He-111 and Ju-88
bombers which was covered by 20 FW-190. However the most of the fighting
had been done by pilots of 240th and 275th IAD, which flew Yaks and
Lavochkins. When German bombers one by one start to fly home, they were
attacked by Soviet P-40s. In the area of Shlisseburg Major Mitrohin in
15 minutes destroyed 2 He-111 and got into a fight with Fw-190. P-40K
had been inferior to the German fighter, but had some adventage in
manuverability. Expirienced German pilot made mistake by trying to out
manuver P-40. FW-190 got hit in the engine, which flame out, and plane
went down. Herber Erdmann(34 victories) from staff "shtaffel" ejected
and was captured by Soviet troops.

During his interegation in the headquoters of 13th Air Army Erdmann told
that "his main desapointment in his mistake in the fight with old P-40,
six of which he easely shot down in Africa, where he fought in JG 27".

He was a bit relieved when he learned about his apponent. Major Mitrohin
fought from the first days of war and destroyed 19 enemy aircraft
personaly and another 6 in group.

On July 5, 1943, North-East of Kursk in the combat with La-5s had been
lost 2 FW-190 from I.JG 54 piloted by Reinhard Zeiler(109 victories) and
his wingmen Hugo Hunerfield (28 victories).

At that day 4 Soviet fighters, lead by commander of 523rd IAP Captain
Harchenko, took off to cover 6 Pe-2 bombers. Not far a way from the
front line Soviet aircraft where attacked by 8 FW-190. Pair lead by
Captain Mischenko continue to cover Pe-2's, while pair lead by Harchenko
separated and attack FW-190. It was very dificult fight, Soviet pilots
barely excaped German guns, but Captain Harchenko manage to shot down
one enemy aircraft, while his wingman Lieutenant Smorchkov damaged
another. In that fight both La-2 suffered serious damaged and where
forced to land far a way from the base.

Major Zeiler was killed, Lieutenant Hunerfield jumped from the plane and
was captured.

On July 9, 1943, simular fait reached Hans-Ioham Happach(20 victories)
from II.JG 54. In the fight with four La-5 from 254 IAP his FW-190 had
been shot down. The pilot used his parashoot to excape. The victory was
credited to Lieutenant Nazimov.

On July 13, 1943, in the area of Leningrad, had been shot down one of
the oldest pilots of JG 54, 32 years old Peter Bremer(40 victories) from
staff "shtaffel". His nick was "Fox". His FW-190 was destroyed my Soviet
pilot from 29th GIAP Peter Pokryshev. Bremer was captured after he crash
landed on Soviet territory.

On July 16, 1943, East of Vitebsk, 6 FW-190 had fought 6 Yaks of 28th
GIAP. After 20 minute rellecoster ride, one German fighter was shot
down, the other got out of the fight. Soviet pilots believed because
they lost their leader.

This is exactlt what hapened. One of the young pilots of 28th GIAP,
Lieutenant Kozlovskii ramed one of the FW-190 in the cockpit of which
had been killed commander of first "shtaffel" Lieutenant Gunter Shell(71
victory).

Lieutenant Kozlovsky survived and even manage to fly back to his
homefields where he managed to crush land his Yak-9 on the fuzelage.

On July 22, 1943, commander IV.JG 54 Haupyman Rudolffer lead 12 fighters
of his group into training flight to the front line. Majority of pilots
were from JG 1 and JG 26 just ransfered to JG 54. While being too
concentrated on talking through radio pilots of "Grunherz" did not saw
the attack of two La-5 from 4th GIAP. Two FW-190's Rudolffer and his
wingman was damaged and whole German formation break up. Rudolffer
ejected over the German territory and return to JG 54. It was one of his
9 jumps. His wingman Rudolph Gepeke (27 victories) was killed. Second
attack did not bring success to Soviet pilots. They aborted attacks as
there were no reason to hunt FW-190's which were runing home.

One July 30, 1043, from "free hunting" did not return young commander of
Group II Henrihh Hung(68 victories). His FW-190 was shot down by a pilot
of 154th IAP Lieutenant Sidorenko. This mission started not very good
for Sidorenko. At first his leader could not take off because of engine
problems. After that Sidorenki himself was jumped by two German hunters.
Death was close: German shells flew right over the canopy of the Soviet
fighter and cut the antena. But Soviet fighter did not panic. He flew
into the cloud and made manuver which Germans did not expected. Then he
appeared on the six of the German pair and open fire. One German fighter
went down, and another run on top speed West.

But on August 2, 1943, had been shot down and this German fighter. Pilot
of 4th GIAP Captain Kostylev found pair of German FW-190 over the
Finland Bay and shot down one of them. Lieutenant Hervert Broendle(58
victories) jumped from his burning fighter. He was taken POW by the crew
of the Soviet torpedo boat.

On August 3, 1943, North-West of Vitenbsk, pilot of 28th GIAP Hero of
the Soviet Union Captain Smirnov had been "hunting". In the surprised
attack he attack and destroyed one of 8 FW-190's which flew into Soviet
rear. German fighter fall to the ground and explouded. The vrekage
buried commander of the Group I Gerhard Homut (63 victories)

The Homut's position of leading Group 1 took Hanz Gez(82 victories), but
he did his job for less than 24 hours. On August 4, 1943, in the fight
with fighters of 18th GIAP, Gez had been shot down over the same spot as
his previous leader. From 12 FW-190 home return only 5. In this fight
had been shot down two Yaks from8 lead by captain Zamorin, but all
Soviet pilots were a live.

On August 19, 1943, group of fighters lead by Smirnov again had been
fighting JG 54. That time groups had equal strength of 12 fighters each.
The fight was only over when almost all fuel had been burned. Two Yaks
and two TW-190 were lost. On this day commander of "shtaffel" 5 Max
Shtoz (189 victories) jumped from his burning FW-190 and become a POW.
Henrix Koller(49 victories) was killed.

In 1943 the results of the fight were not good enough for commanders of
28th GIAP, because of that right after a fight pilots were forced to
carry out full investigations of all mistakes they made in the fight.

On August 27, 1943, pilot of 154 IAP Lieutenant Sidorenko shot down his
second FW-190 in the area of Chudovo which had been protection the
artiolery spoter plane. German fighter started to fall, hit the ground,
and explouded. The pilot of Group I Ksevier Muller(47 victories) was
killed.

On September 15, 1943, in the combat with Yak-9 had been shot down and
killed two pilots from I.JG 54. Hans Grubert(35 victories) and Ioham
Grubert(4 victories), twin brothers. The victory was credited to
Lieutenant Brazhinez and German from 41 IAP.

On September 22, 1943, the Captain Tatarenko from 4th GIAP shot down in
area of Novoy Ladogi FW-190 fighter. Fridrix Rozental(45 victories) from
5.JG 54 had crush landed on Soviet territory and was captured.

On October 10, 1943, from "free hunting" in area of Smolensk did not
return pair of FW-190 from Group I. Lieutenant Karl Fuxs(67 victoriess)
and Kurt Pabler(31 victory) to this day presumed missing. But their fait
is known.

Hero of the Soviet, Marshal of Aviation Zimin, which in those days had
been commander of 240th IAD remmbers: "After start of Nevel'skoi attack
operation, German fighters start to show extream activity. Pilots from
"Grunherz" and "Melders" again start to use good old "free hunting" near
our bases near Smolensk. On October 10, 1943, I had been told that
pilots from 86th GIAP Lieutenant Manulin and Kurizyn hunt down and
destroyed German pair. Soon those German "hunters", which jumped from
their planes, were brough to division. Those were real aces which scored
many victories".

Two days later, Lieutenant Danilin from 133rd GIAP, destroyed one more
"hunter". This was pilot from 2/JG 54 Hans-Gunter Reihtardt(44
victories) which did not return home on October 12.

On October 11, 1943 "Grunherz" lost another two pilots which flew in to
1/JG 54 for "cleanning of air" into the area of railroad station
Yarzevo. But German fighters could not break to target through Yaks of
900th IAP. In the fight had been shot down and killed one of the
luckiest pilots of Group I Lieutenant Anton Debele(94 victories). His
fait also shared Karl Fisher(33 victories). One FW-190 each was credited
to Lieutenant Lisezkii' and Duman.

1943 was ending for "Grunzherz" the way it started - lossing of FW-190.
One Decepber 15, 1943, in area of Orshi in the fight with P-39th had
been shot down and killed major Hubertus fon Bonin(77 victories). This
expirienced German ace, which scored 6 victories in Spain, shot down
pilot of 67 GIAP Captain Novichkov.

On the same day over Baltic had been damaged FW-190 of ober-Lutenant
Joseph Pohsa(43 victories) from 5/JG 54.

Around noon, 6 FW-190F-8 from SG 5 while being covered by 4 FW-190, try
to attack the air fields at Lavensaari. In the fight with fighers La-5
German group desintergrated and did not complited their mission. Many
FW-190 barely maked to Finland, while Pohs had been forced to use his
parashoot. He landed into the sea and probably sunked. His fait is
unknown. Commander of 4 fighters from 4th GIAP Bychkov, which destroyed
Ju-88 on the same day, now added one more FW-190.

Pahs become one of 112 JG 54 fighters which was killed or captured in
1943.

Part III would be ready on Saturday.

Yevgeniy Chizhikov.

Krztalizer

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Yevgeniy,

I'll ask again -- if you KNOW and ACCEPT that this is a flawed document
produced by a researcher that does not check his facts, WHY POST IT?

You agreed that this guy has no factual basis for this yet you place it on the
net anyway. WHY? Or, why not label it Fiction, at least?

v/r
Gordon

Krztalizer

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
>They quickly shot
>down one FW-190. For Lieutenant Walter Meyer(58 victories) for whom it
>was first flight in FW-190 was killed.

Do you honestly believe that on this man's first flight in a new aircraft (that
makes it a familiarization flight), he was flying it in combat on the other
side of Russian lines?

Oh, wait.. I forgot -- you already agreed that the information in this document
isnt worthy of being called research

>When German bombers one by one start to fly home, they were
>attacked by Soviet P-40s. In the area of Shlisseburg Major Mitrohin in
>15 minutes destroyed 2 He-111 and got into a fight with Fw-190. P-40K
>had been inferior to the German fighter, but had some adventage in
>manuverability.

Read what you just said -- a P-40 had some advantage in manuverability over a
FW-190?! You believe that? Thats the first time I have ever heard anyone
claim that.

Dénes Bernád

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Due to lack of spare time, I asked my colleague and friend, Christer
Bergstrom from Sweden -- who works on a similar book topic -- to comment the
second part of Dymich's article. I think he did a very good job. Anyhow, the
facts speak for themselves:

* * *

Below you will find - within quotation marks - the full text of the second
part of V. Dymich's article (edited by Yevgeniy Chizhikov, Y.C.) on JG 54
versus the Soviet Air Force, which I received via Denes Bernad. Between
Dymich's paragraphs are my comments, opened with "Comment:".

Christer Bergstrom

[...]

Comment: Not really 4 GIAP, but 4 GIAP/VVS-KBF. Vasiliy Golubev's rank at
that time was that of a Kapitan.
On January 9, 1943, JG 54 registered no losses. Fw. Josef Brechtl, a
28-victory ace in 7./JG 54, was shot down (piloting a Bf 109 G-2) in aerial
combat and listed as missing on January 6, 1943. On that day, III./JG 54
claimed 12 victories near Velikiye Luki. 7./JG 54 claimed seven kills, five
of them by Fw. Kurt Stober, who flew in the same Rotte as Brechtl. Stober
and Brechtl attacked an Il-2 formation and Brechtl had just scored his 28th
victory, as they were pounced on by Soviet fighters who shot down Brechtl.
Brechtl's Bf 109 did not return to base but crashed south of Velikiye Luki.
Also on January 6, 1943, another Bf 109 G-2, of 3./JG 54, was damaged at
Krasnogvardeisk (Gachina) Airdrome.
Fw. Alfred Dettke, a 33-victory ace in 8./JG 54 was shot down (piloting a Bf
109 G-2) and killed in aerial combat on January 5, 1943.

"On January 12, 1943, Golubev's friends from 3rd GIAP meet this new German
fighter. For 15 minute Lieutenant Kabrov had been a lone fighting off
attacks of 4 FW-190 fighters from I.JG54 in his LaGG-3 and survived. To his
help come Captain Zapov and Sergant Shilkov. They quickly shot down one
FW-190. For Lieutenant Walter Meyer(58 victories) for whom it
was first flight in FW-190 was killed. Three remaining FW-190 decided not to
push their luck and got out of the fight."

Comment: At least according to Vasiliy Golubev's memoirs, two flights from 4
GIAP/VVS-KBF claimed a Bf 109 as a "collective victory" on that day.
According to Soviet sources, the pilot of the German aircraft was captured.
It hasn't been possible to verify this with German loss lists, even taken
into consideration that the date in Golubev's memoirs could be wrong. We
plan to check this with the archive of the Soviet Navy in Gachina. JG 54
registered no losses on January 12, 1943.

"On February 22, 1943, near the Demyansk, finished his war commander of
Group II Major Hans 'Assi' Hann(108 victories). He was one of the three
BF-109G-6 pilots from JG54 which had been shot down in the fight with Yaks
from 485th IAP. Fight had been witness by commander of the Air Army General
Polynin. Polynin had accurately described this fight in his book 'Boevye
Marshruty'. Major Hann was captured, he only return back to Germany in 1950.
At the same fight Gerhard Beutin(60 victories) and Arthur Gartner(27
victories)."

Comment: No name(s) of the Soviet pilot(s) that claimed to have downed
"Assi" Hahn? I must admit that this surprised me. Andrey Mikhailov and I are
working on the cases of three Soviet pilots who claimed to have shot down
Hahn, and we hope to be able to present the most likely of them in Vol. III
of our forthcoming book on the air war on the Eastern Front, "Black
Cross/Red Star". We also are trying to positively identify the Soviet ace to
whom Hahn was introduced during his captivity a few days later. According to
Arthur Gartner himself, Gartner was at the Jagdfliegerschule at Zerbst at
that time, and he arrived to JG 54 only on June 2, 1944. Ofw. Gerhard
Beutin, victor in 60 aerial combats, was killed while serving with
Erg.Gr./JG 54 on February 1, 1943.

"On March 16, 1943, commander of I.JG54 Hauptmann Phillip and Heinz

[...]

Comment: Uffz. Heinz Nikoleit (probably no victories) of 3./JG 54 was listed
as missing on January 16, 1943. No further details are known. No further
combat losses were reported by JG 54 on that date.
On March 17, 1943, his 26th birthday, Hptm. Hans Philipp and his wingman,
Fw. Hans-Gunther Reinhard, returned from an engagement with Pe-2s near Lake
Ilmen, where Philipp had claimed four victories - Nos. 200-203. Philipp was
killed in combat with the 8th USAAF over Germany on October 8, 1943.

"On March 17, 1943, forward observation positions guided commander of 436
IAP Lutenant-Colonel Panov flying P-40E to attack two BF-109's which had
been hunting behind Soviet lines. He attack the German pair North of Staraya
Russa. After surprised attack one BF-109 turn and run a way to the West.
However his friend continue to fight. For 20 minutes enemies had been
maneuvering in vertical fight, but victory was behind the
Soviet pilot.

Hans Besisseverger(152 victories), commander of Group II, which not long
before that received 'Brocly' to his Knight Cross had been killed. However
to his day Hans Besisseverger is presumed MIA. The reason for that is
testimony of Besisseverger's wingman Karl Richter, which states: 'Last thing
I saw was BF-109 of the commander fighting with large group
of Soviet fighters'. (Yeah, whole one. - Y.C.)"

Comment: Oblt. Hans Beisswenger, the Staffelkapitan of 6./JG 54, was posted
as missing after an air combat near Lake Ilmen on March 6, 1943. His Schwarm
was engaged in a combat with four Soviet fighters. Beisswenger claimed two
victories (Nos 151-152). The Bf 109 of his wingman Uffz. Munderloh was
damaged, and Munderloh reported that he would try to reach his base (he was
listed as missing). After that, there was no trace of Beisswenger. Our
conclusion is that Beisswenger was brought down by a taran by Starshiy
Leytenant Ivan Kholodov of 32 GIAP. Kholodov rammed the Bf 109 that was
attacking his wingman, Leytenant Arkadiy Makarov, and managed to bail out.
JG 54 recorded no combat losses on March 17, 1943.

[...]

Comment: Some Fw 190s of JG 54 did not carry the Grunherz sign during the
second half of 1943 (among them the Fw 190 flown by Walter Nowotny).
However, there are numerous photos showing fighters of JG 54 on the Eastern
Front carrying the Grunherz sign throughout 1943 and 1944, as late as in
November 1944 (IV./JG 54 at Konigsberg).

[...]

Comment: No combat losses were registered by JG 54 on April 13, 1943 - but
interecpting Pe-2s of 34 GBAPand Il-2s that were raiding the Krasnogvardeisk
Airdrome claimed eleven Soviet aircraft shot down, thereby scoring the
Geschwader's 4000th victory on the Eastern Front. Among the Soviet losses
was Mayor Yurchenko, Chief Navigator of an Eskadrilya in 34 GBAP. He was
later appointed a Hero of the Soviet Union posthumously.
Oblt. Siegfried Graf von Matuschka, a 29-victory ace in 4./JG 54, was killed
during a combat mission over France on April 15, 1943, possibly by Major Don
Blakeslee of 4 FG/8th USAAF. (4./JG 54 operated in northeastern France
during a couple of weeks in the spring of 1943, and was then returned to the
Eastern Front.)

"On may 1, 1943, North of Staraya Russa, had been killed Lieutenant Horst
Hanning(98 victories) in fight with Yaks from 485 IAP. He replaces 'Dworf'
Vandel on the position of commander 5th 'shtaffel' not long before that.
Horst was shot down by leader of the pair Lieutenant Davydov."

Comment: JG 54 registered no losses on May 1, 1943. The former JG 54 pilot
Oblt.Horst Hannig (98 victories), serving as Staffelkapitan of 2./JG 2 at
that time, was killed in combat with Spitfires over France on May 15, 1943.
For further details, see the article on Hannig on Dariusz Tyminiski's ACE
PAGE site.

"On the May 22, 1943, did not return home pilot from Group II, Walter
Heck(32 victories). His FW-190 had been attacked and destroyed by captain
Romanov, the leader of 4 LaGG-3 fighters from 156th IAP. But overall Soviet
pilots did not perform well and did not prevent 20+ Ju-87s from attacking
the rail road bridge and rail road station Volhov."

Comment: On May 22, 1943, the Bf 109s (!) of II./JG 54 escorted I./St.G. 1
against the railroad station Volkhovstroy. They were met with ten
intercepting Soviet fighters and heavy AAA fire. Uffz. Johann Runge (six
victories) of 4./JG 54 was reportedly shot down by AAA and was listed as
missing. Fw. Walter Heck's Bf 109 (5./JG 54) overturned at the landing at
Airdrome Mga, killing the 32-victory pilot. One LaGG-3 was claimed shot down
by Ofw. Zavier Muller of 5./JG 54. Two Ju 87s of I./St.G. 1 were reportedly
shot down by AAA. The latter losses were not filed by the Luftwaffe
Generalquartiermeister. (To St.G. 1, May 22, 1943 was a black day. No less
than eleven Ju 87s of II./St.G. 1 were registered as shot down by Soviet
fighters during a raid against the railroad station at Kursk.)

"On may 16, 1943, Captain Zazaev from 86th GIAP achieved his 16th victory.
In area of Novaya Ladoga he destroyed FW-190. His victim was pilot from
Group II Lutenan Verner Lochmann(47 victories) which was forced to crush
land and was captured."

Comment: On May 16, 1943, JG 54 registered two aircraft losses, both Bf
109s, with both pilots lost: Uffz. Hermann Leicht of 4./JG 54 was killed
during a combat mission. Uffz. Kriebus (II./JG 54) was listed as missing. No
further details are known.
Lt. Werner Lohmann (no victory claims are known, but he hardly scored 47),
piloting an Fw 190 A-5 of 6./JG 54, was shot down and listed as missing near
Ossinovets. If Dymich has information that this pilot was captured, it would
be interesting to know his source.

[...]

Comment: On May 30, 1943, JG 54 escorted KG 53 twice against Soviet shipping
on Lake Ladoga, in coordination with raids by the German "Siebel ferries".
The combat described above was the late afternoon raid, which followed when
the Soviet "Redut" radar spotted the 47 He 111s of KG 53 that, escorted by
JG 54, flew against shipping on Lake Ladoga. The strong Soviet fighter- and
AAA defense managed to tear the He 111 formation apart. KG 53 registered one
He 111 H-16 shot down by Soviet fighters and another three damaged, one of
which made a belly landing. Apart from Mayor Vasiliy Mitrokhin's claim,
Mladshiy Leytenant Ivan Somov of 32 GIAP also claimed an Fw 190 shot down
during this combat. Attempting to defend an He 111 which came under attack
from several Soviet fighters, Fw. Johann Fieber (piloting a Bf 109 G-2!) of
6./JG 54, was shot down and listed as missing. It is not known if Fieber
scored any victories. This was the only combat loss registered by JG 54. JG
54 claimed 13 victories (including the 171st victory of Oblt. Max Stotz)
while the participating Soviet fighter units claimed to have shot down seven
He 111s and eleven German fighters for the loss of three own fighters.
Uffz. Herbert Erdmann served with IV./JG 27, which was formed in the Balkans
in May 1943. He survived the war with one victory credit. (...)

[the end part to follow soon. D.B.]

Dénes Bernád

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
(Second Part)

[...]

Comment: On this day, the first day of Operation Zitadelle, the VVS mounted
3,385 combat sorties in this area, while the Luftwaffe carried out 4,475
sorties. 176 Soviet and at least 26 Luftwaffe aircraft were registered as
lost by each side. There were huge air combats, and I personally doubt that
it is possible to detect who shot down whom. In any case, I./JG 54, which
operated in this area, registered three Fw 190s shot down or force-landed.
Lt. Helmut Zürn and Uffz. Egon Raues were killed or listed as missing. No
one of them are known to have scored any victories.
Maj. Reinhard Seiler, the Gruppenkommandeur in I./JG 54, was shot down and
seriously injured in the morning of July 6, 1943. While escorting Ju 87s of
II./St.G. 1 near Orel, the Fw 190s of I./JG 54 were involved in a stiff
combat with Il-2s escorted by Yak-9s. Seiler claimed one Yak-9 shot down -
his 100th victory - but was in turn shot down himself. He bailed out with
three bullet wounds. Having recovered from his wounds in August 1944, Seiler
served as a fighter instructor for the remainder of the war.
Lt. Udo Hunerfeld served with JG 54. I have no other information regarding
this pilot. At least, Seiler's Fw 190 is the only aircraft loss registered
by JG 54 on July 6, 1943.

"On July 9, 1943, simular fait reached Hans-Ioham Happach(20 victories) from
II.JG 54. In the fight with four La-5 from 254 IAP his FW-190 had been shot
down. The pilot used his parashoot to excape. The victory was credited to
Lieutenant Nazimov."

Comment: Piloting an Fw 190 A-5, Uffz. Hans Happatsch, a 20-victory ace in
2./JG 54, was listed as missing on July 9, 1943. This took place over the
Orel-Kursk battlescene. According to my sources, 254 IAP operated in the
Leningrad area, far from that place, at that time.

"On July 13, 1943, in the area of Leningrad, had been shot down one of the
oldest pilots of JG 54, 32 years old Peter Bremer(40 victories) from staff
'shtaffel'. His nick was 'Fox'. His FW-190 was destroyed my Soviet pilot
from 29th GIAP Peter Pokryshev. Bremer was captured after he crash landed on
Soviet territory."

Comment: Fw. Peter Bremer, a 40-victory ace in 2./JG 54, was shot down in
aerial combat and captured at the Orel-Kursk battlescene on July 13, 1943.
According to my sources, Mayor Petr Pokryshev commanded 259 IAP in the
Leningrad area at that time.

"On July 16, 1943, East of Vitebsk, 6 FW-190 had fought 6 Yaks of 28th GIAP.
After 20 minute rellecoster ride, one German fighter was shot down, the
other got out of the fight. Soviet pilots believed because they lost their
leader.

This is exactlt what hapened. One of the young pilots of 28th GIAP,
Lieutenant Kozlovskii ramed one of the FW-190 in the cockpit of which had
been killed commander of first 'shtaffel' Lieutenant Gunter Shell(71
victory).

Lieutenant Kozlovsky survived and even manage to fly back to his homefields
where he managed to crush land his Yak-9 on the fuzelage."

Comment: Lt. Günther Scheel (3./JG 54) took off for an escort mission for Ju
87s at 0707 hrs on July 16, 1943. Having completed this task, Lt. Scheel
jumped a formation of Yak-9s on the return flight. He was credited with
shooting down two Yak-9s, but the left wing of his Fw 190 collided with his
second victim. The wing was torn off and the Fw 190 descended. It caught
fire a. 50 m above the ground and crashed on impact, at 0806 hrs., 12 km
northeast of Bolkhov (above Soviet-held territory south of Orel). Scheel had
scored 71 victories on about 70 combat sorties. Luftflotte 6, to which I./JG
54 belonged, claimed 40 victories against nine own aircraft lost on July 16,
1943.

"On July 22, 1943, commander IV.JG 54 Haupyman Rudolffer lead 12 fighters of
his group into training flight to the front line. Majority of pilots were
from JG 1 and JG 26 just ransfered to JG 54. While being too concentrated on
talking through radio pilots of 'Grunherz' did not saw the attack of two
La-5 from 4th GIAP. Two FW-190's Rudolffer and his wingman was damaged and
whole German formation break up. Rudolffer ejected over the German territory
and return to JG 54. It was one of his 9 jumps. His wingman Rudolph Gepeke
(27 victories) was killed. Second attack did not bring success to Soviet
pilots. They aborted attacks as
there were no reason to hunt FW-190's which were runing home."

Comment: The Soviet fighter unit that Dymich here refers to, is 4
GIAP/VVS-KBF. (4 GIAP/VVS-KBF was the former 13 IAP of the VVS of the Red
Banner Baltic Fleet, KBF; there was no 4 GIAP of the Red Army Air Forces,
VVS-KA.) It is not excluded that Hptm. Erich Rudorffer (who claimed 222
victories during WW II), the Gruppenkommandeur of the new IV./JG 54, was
shot down and had to bail out on this date. Rudorffer actually was shot down
sixteen times and had to bail out on nine occasions during the course of the
war. (Rudorffer nevertheless survived and still is alive and well.) Fw.
Rudolf Gerecke, a 27-victory ace in 12./JG 54, was shot down and injured
(reportedly by a LaGG-3, which could have been a misidentification for a
La-5) in the same area that 4 GIAP/VVS-KBF operated on July 22, 1943.

"One July 30, 1043, from 'free hunting' did not return young commander of
Group II Henrihh Hung(68 victories). His FW-190 was shot down by a pilot of
154th IAP Lieutenant Sidorenko. This mission started not very good for
Sidorenko. At first his leader could not take off because of engine
problems. After that Sidorenki himself was jumped by two German hunters.
Death was close: German shells flew right over the canopy of the Soviet
fighter and cut the antena. But Soviet fighter did not panic. He flew into
the cloud and made manuver which Germans did not expected. Then he appeared
on the six of the German pair and open fire. One German fighter went down,
and another run on top speed West."

Comment: I agree with Dymich. Andrey Mikhailov and I had also, previously,
come to the conclusion that it probably was Leytenant Vasiliy Sidorenko who
shot down Hptm. Heinrich Jung on July 30, 1943 (although, according to our
sources, he served with 254 IAP/269 IAD of 14 VA). A detailed description of
this combat will be published in Vol. III of "Black Cross/Red Star".

"But on August 2, 1943, had been shot down and this German fighter. Pilot of
4th GIAP Captain Kostylev found pair of German FW-190 over the Finland Bay
and shot down one of them. Lieutenant Hervert Broendle(58 victories) jumped
from his burning fighter. He was taken POW by the crew of the Soviet torpedo
boat."

Comment: 4 GIAP here probably is a mistyping. Georgiy Kostylev served with 3
GIAP/VVS-KBF.
Lt. Herbert Broennle had served with JG 54 previously, but was later posted
to 2./JG 53. He was shot down and killed by a Spitfire over Sicily on July
4, 1943. Broennle's total victory score was 58. On August 2, 1943, JG 54
registered one combat loss in the area mentioned by Dymich: an Fw 190 A-4
that crash landed at Krasnogvardeisk Airdrome.

"On August 3, 1943, North-West of Vitenbsk, pilot of 28th GIAP Hero of the

Soviet Union Captain Smirnov had been 'hunting'. In the surprised attack he
attack and destroyed one of 8 FW-190's which flew into Soviet rear. German
fighter fall to the ground and explouded. The vrekage buried commander of

the Group I Gerhard Homut (63 victories)."

Comment: Maj. Gerhard Homuth (63 victories), Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 54,
took off on a combat mission together with his wingman Oblt. Otto Vinzent in
the vicinity of Kursk on August 3, 1943. About 20 km to the south of Kromy,
Homuth and Vinzent were engaged by a composite formation of Airacobras,
P-40s and La-5s. Following a 20-minute dogfight, Oblt. Vinzent lost sight of
Homuth, and returned to base alone. Homuth was listed as missing.

"The Homut's position of leading Group 1 took Hanz Gez (82 victories), but

he did his job for less than 24 hours. On August 4, 1943, in the fight with
fighters of 18th GIAP, Gez had been shot down over the same spot as his
previous leader. From 12 FW-190 home return only 5. In this fight had been
shot down two Yaks from8 lead by captain Zamorin, but all Soviet pilots were
a live."

Comment: Oblt. Hans Götz (82 victories) was killed in combat while attacking
a formation of Il-2s north-east of Karachev on August 4, 1943. Apart from
Götz's aircraft, I./JG 54 registered a second Fw 190, piloted by Fw. Helmut
Mais, lost in this area on that date. The pilot was killed. According to
documents from I./JG 54, Uffz. Anton Held of 1./JG 54 was also killed in
combat on August 4, 1943 (July 23, 1943, according to another source).
Another three Fw 190s of I./JG 54 were reported as damaged in accidents on
the same day. Also in the same operational area, Ofw. Klaus Maisenger and
Ofw. Paul Pausinge of the Fw 190-equipped IV./JG 54 were killed.
18 "Vitebskiy" GIAP operated in the same area as Götz, Mais, Held, Pausinge
and Maisenger were killed. We have compiled all victories claimed by this
unit in 1941 from Soviet archives and will soon compile the victories for
this unit in 1942 and 1943, and we will look into this case.

"On August 19, 1943, group of fighters lead by Smirnov again had been
fighting JG 54. That time groups had equal strength of 12 fighters each. The
fight was only over when almost all fuel had been burned. Two Yaks and two
TW-190 were lost. On this day commander of 'shtaffel' 5 Max Shtoz (189
victories) jumped from his burning FW-190 and become a POW.
Henrix Koller(49 victories) was killed."

Comment: Hptm. Max Stotz (189 victories), the Staffelkapitän of 5./JG 54,
was shot down during combat with Soviet fighters and bailed out over
Soviet-held territory near Vitebsk on August 19, 1943. He is listed as
missing. Another Fw 190 of 5./JG 54 was registered as damaged. It would be
most interesting to learn from which source Dymich has that Stotz was
captured. Also on that day, Ofw. Hermann Schleinhege of Stab/JG 54 was shot
down and injured after claiming one Yak-1 and one Il-2 (his victories Nos.
21 and 22). The units under command of Luftflotte 6, to which II./JG 54
belonged, carried out 1,060 sorties and claimed 21 victories against the
loss of two Fw 190s, two Ju 87s, two He 111s and one Ju 88 on August 19,
1943.

"In 1943 the results of the fight were not good enough for commanders of
28th GIAP, because of that right after a fight pilots were forced to carry
out full investigations of all mistakes they made in the fight."

Comment: After all, 28 GIAP was credited with 63 victories (23 Bf 109s, 23
Fw 190s, seven Fw 189s, six Ju 88s and four Hs 126s) against fourteen
Airacobras lost in combat between December 1, 1942 and August 1, 1943.

"On August 27, 1943, pilot of 154 IAP Lieutenant Sidorenko shot down his
second FW-190 in the area of Chudovo which had been protection the artiolery
spoter plane. German fighter started to fall, hit the ground, and explouded.
The pilot of Group I Ksevier Muller(47 victories) was killed."

Comment: According to German documents, Ofw. Xaver Müller, a 47-victory ace
in 5./JG 54, was killed as his Fw 190 was hit by enemy (artillery?) fire on
the ground on August 27, 1943. Unfortunately, I have no further information.
No other combat losses were registered by JG 54 on August 27, 1943.

"On September 15, 1943, in the combat with Yak-9 had been shot down and
killed two pilots from I.JG 54. Hans Grubert(35 victories) and Ioham
Grubert(4 victories), twin brothers. The victory was credited to Lieutenant
Brazhinez and German from 41 IAP."

Comment: Uffz. Hans Grübert and Uffz. Joachim Grübert, both of I./JG 54,
were killed in action on September 15, 1943. Nothing is known about the
victory claims of these two pilots.

"On September 22, 1943, the Captain Tatarenko from 4th GIAP shot down in
area of Novoy Ladogi FW-190 fighter. Fridrix Rozental(45 victories) from
5.JG 54 had crush landed on Soviet territory and was captured."

Comment: Uffz. Friedrich Rosenthal, piloting an Fw 190 A-5 of 6./JG 54, was
shot down and killed in aerial combat on September 22, 1943. Nothing is
known about his victory claims.

"On October 10, 1943, from 'free hunting' in area of Smolensk did not return
pair of FW-190 from Group I. Lieutenant Karl Fuxs(67 victoriess) and Kurt
Pabler(31 victory) to this day presumed missing. But their fait is known.

Hero of the Soviet, Marshal of Aviation Zimin, which in those days had been
commander of 240th IAD remmbers: 'After start of Nevel'skoi attack
operation, German fighters start to show extream activity. Pilots from
"Grunherz" and "Melders" again start to use good old "free hunting" near our
bases near Smolensk. On October 10, 1943, I had been told that pilots from
86th GIAP Lieutenant Manulin and Kurizyn hunt down and destroyed German
pair. Soon those German "hunters", which jumped from their planes, were
brough to division. Those were real aces which scored many victories'."

Comment: Ofw. Karl Fuchs (67 victories) of 3./JG 54 and Uffz. Kurt Pabler
(no information on victories) of 1./JG 54 were both shot down on October 10,
1943, Pabler getting killed and Fuchs listed as missing.

"Two days later, Lieutenant Danilin from 133rd GIAP, destroyed one more
'hunter'. This was pilot from 2/JG 54 Hans-Gunter Reihtardt(44 victories)
which did not return home on October 12."

Comment: I./JG 54's Fw. Hans-Günther Reinhard, the old wingman of Hans
Philipp, was killed in action in October 1943. His final score was 44
victories.

"On October 11, 1943 'Grunherz' lost another two pilots which flew in to
1/JG 54 for 'cleanning of air' into the area of railroad station Yarzevo.
But German fighters could not break to target through Yaks of 900th IAP. In
the fight had been shot down and killed one of the luckiest pilots of Group
I Lieutenant Anton Debele(94 victories). His fait also shared Karl Fisher(33
victories). One FW-190 each was credited to Lieutenant Lisezkii' and Duman."

Comment: The date that we are dealing with here is unclear. On October 11,
1943, Luftflotte 6 carried out 747 sorties in support of the Third Panzer
Army in this area. I./JG 54 registered one loss in this area: Lt. Horst
Keller (victory number unknown) force-landed his Fw 190 A-6 after sustaining
battle damage and was injured. In about the same area, two Bf 109s of 10./JG
51 collided during an aerial combat. Uffz. Helmut Neu was listed as missing
while Lt. Rudolf Wagner survived with injuries on this October 11, 1943.
At 0950 hrs. on November 11, 1943, Ofw. Anton Döbele of 1./JG 54 scrambled
against Il-2s in the Smolensk-Vitebsk area. During the aerial combat, his Fw
190 touched an Fw 190 of JG 51. Döbele lost control of his plane and rammed
the Il-2 that he was attacking. Both aircraft went down and crashed at 1042
hrs. north of the Rollbahn Vitebsk-Smolensk, i.e. in the same area as
mentioned by Dymich.
Oblt. Karl-Reinhardt Fischer of 3./JG 54, an ace with 33 victories, was
killed in action in November 1943, possibly on the 11th.
7./JG 51 registered the Fw 190 A-5, "White 2", shot down in aerial combat to
the east of Vitebsk on November 11, 1943. The pilot, Fjfw. Herbert Riegel,
was listed as missing.
Uffz. Karl Fischer (no victories known) is listed as killed in aerial combat
with an a US P-38 fighter near Anguoise in France on July 26, 1944.

"1943 was ending for 'Grunzherz' the way it started - lossing of FW-190. One
Decepber 15, 1943, in area of Orshi in the fight with P-39th had been shot
down and killed major Hubertus fon Bonin(77 victories). This expirienced
German ace, which scored 6 victories in Spain, shot down pilot of 67 GIAP
Captain Novichkov."

Comment: At 1325 hrs. on December 15, 1943, Maj. Hubertus von Bonin,
Geschwaderkommodore of JG 54, took off from the airbase at Vilnius together
with his wingman. Ten minutes later, the two Fw 190 pilots spotted and
attacked six Il-2s escorted by - according to the German combat report -
nine Yak-9s. Having unsuccessfully attacked an Il-2, von Bonin was charged
by a Soviet fighter. Von Bonin attempted to escape in a steep dive. But the
Soviet fighter followed him and fired two or three short and well-aimed fire
bursts. At an altitude of 900 m, von Bonin's heavily damaged Fw 190 made a
left turn and descended, crashing 7 km east of Gorodok at 1339 hrs. German
troops found the remains of von Bonin. Von Bonin was credited with 77
victories.

"On the same day over Baltic had been damaged FW-190 of ober-Lutenant Joseph
Pohsa(43 victories) from 5/JG 54.

Around noon, 6 FW-190F-8 from SG 5 while being covered by 4 FW-190, try to
attack the air fields at Lavensaari. In the fight with fighers La-5 German
group desintergrated and did not complited their mission. Many FW-190 barely
maked to Finland, while Pohs had been forced to use his parashoot. He landed
into the sea and probably sunked. His fait is unknown. Commander of 4
fighters from 4th GIAP Bychkov, which destroyed Ju-88 on the same day, now
added one more FW-190."

Comment: Oblt. Josef Pöhs served with II./JG 54 from the beginning of the
war, achieving 43 victories. According to various German sources, he was
killed in a flight accident while testing an Me 163 near Bad Zwischenahn in
Germany on December 30, 1943.

Dénes Bernád

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Please see below -- within the original post of Aug. 26 -- the second,
annotated part of V. Dymich's article on the Luftwaffe's JG 54 vs. Soviet
fighters.

Dénes