German WWII ACE Pilot

Fabian Mattern

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97
Hello,
does anybody know something about Willi Unger.
He was a German WWII Ace Pilot.
I'm from Germany and <Willi> is in my Soaring Club, but he won't speak about
his experiences.
Some friends told me that he kills 245 planes. Some say that he has done one of the
earliest Me262 flight.
I can't believe that.

                    Fabian Mattern <Rebel>

Martin Rosenkranz

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Hallo,
ich besitze mehrere Bücher über diese Zeit. 2 über Messerschmitt, 1speziell
über die Me262, und 3 über die ganze Epoche und die Asse.
Die ersten Me 262 Flieger waren:
Fritz Wendel, Karl Bauer,Dipl.Ing. Heinrich Beauvais, Willi Ostertag, Gerd
Lindner, Selle, über einen Willi Unger nichts zu finden.

Deutsche Asse:
Erich Hartmann-352;Gerd Barkhorn-300+;Günter Rall-275;Hermann
Graf-202;J.Steinhoff-176;H.J.Marseille-158;H-U.Rudel-?;
auch hier nichts über einen Willi Unger zu finden.

Martin Rosenkranz, Wien
mar...@inode.at
http://www.inode.at/maro107/

SEEHAG

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

Herr Mattern,
The only information I can give you comes from "Horrido'' Fighter Aces of the
Luftwaffe by Toliver & Constable.
Willi Unger, Lt., JG3 & JG7, 22 victories (19 four motor), awarded the Knights
Cross.
If Herr Unger does not to talk about it, it may be a good idea to let him have
his privacy on the matter. Many combat veterans do not like to talk about the
death and destruction they have witnessed. Hope this information is what you
are looking for and helps you.

wil...@hotmail.com

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

see...@aol.com (SEEHAG) wrote:

> The only information I can give you comes from "Horrido'' Fighter Aces
> of the Luftwaffe by Toliver & Constable.
> Willi Unger, Lt., JG3 & JG7, 22 victories (19 four motor), awarded the Knights
> Cross.

Similar scores for Lt. Unger are recorded in "Fighter Pilots" by Edward
H. Sims. Sims mentions Unger among the Luftwaffe's top 5 heavy day bomber
killers. Remarkably Unger achieved his kills on just 37 missions.

Wilhelm Wirén

Ruy Horta

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Fabian Mattern <fmat...@mattern.de> wrote:

JG7 was a Me262 ONLY unit.

Willi Unger is one of the pilots listed in Boehme's JG7 book (p.199)

He also flew with IV./JG3's Sturm unit.
scoring between 11/4/44 and 15/3/45:

12x B-17 (excl. 2x B-17 HSS)
5x B-24 (excl. 1x B-24 HSS)
2x Pe2
1x P-39

Note: the high number of heavy bombers is caused by his flying with a
Sturm unit, which used heavily armored/weaponed Fw190s to perform
close in attacks on the heavy bombers.

Ending his stay with JG3 as Staffel Kapitaen 14./JG3, leaving for
Me262 conversion in early April '45

Looks like he was credited with two more kills while in JG7, making
his total 22.

Sources:

JG7 - The World's First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/1945
Manfred Boehme.

IV./Jagdgeschwader 3 - Chronik einer Jagdgruppe 1943-1945
Jochen Prien

(which also includes a picture of Willi Unger in April '45 just before
his transfer)

Ruy Horta

Luftwaffe and JG53 webpage
also Luftwaffe Discussion Board
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta

"How good bad reasons and bad music sound
when we march against an enemy."

(Due to the ever increasing activity of SPAMMERS,
I've been forced to include an anti-SPAM, sorry.
If you want to e-mail me, just remove NOSPAM.)