Interesting - Telling the Story of Krushchev's Anti-Stalin Tirade

a425couple

Sep 21, 2022, 4:19:40 PMSep 21
from
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5233399

Telling the Story of Krushchev's Anti-Stalin Tirade
February 25, 20068:00 AM ET
Heard on Weekend Edition Saturday
Listen
Download
Transcript

Fifty years ago, Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev gave a startling speech
to Communist Party delegates, denouncing his predecessor Josef Stalin.
Reuters correspondent John Rettie was the first foreign correspondent to
learn of the secret speech. He reminisces with Scott Simon.

SCOTT SIMON, host:

A Reuters news dispatch from 50 years ago caused a political earthquake.

Unidentified Male Broadcaster: Nikita Khrushchev, the Soviet Party
Chief, accused Josef Stalin of massacre, torture of children, and a
personal reign of terror, in a sensational speech behind closed doors at
last month's party congress.

SIMON: John Rettie of Reuters wrote that story. He was the first
reporter to learn of Nikita Khrushchev's secret speech in February 1956
to the Communist Party elite. Now Josef Stalin had been buried as the
Soviet Union's most beloved leader. A man of steel, a staunch guardian,
and the sage, the man who made the Communist Revolution permanent. Oh,
he could be a little stern, of course, but there was that twinkle in his
eye when he drew on his corn cob pipe.

John Rettie joins us now from North Yorkshire, England. Thanks very much
for being with us.

Mr. JOHN RETTIE (Former Reuters Reporter): It's a pleasure, Scott.

SIMON: And how did you get that? Must have been the scoop of certainly
the year?

Mr. RETTIE: Certainly of my life. Yes. I knew a Soviet citizen, a
Russian, who pretended to be just a friend helping me out with things.
I'm quite sure that he was working for the secret police, the KGB. But
he did tell me quite a few things that proved correct. And he knew that
the next morning I was going on holiday to Stockholm after covering the
20th Party Congress. And he phoned me in the evening and said, Before
you go I've got to see you.

And when he came he said, I have something to tell you that you must get
out. And he began telling me a very full summary of the secret speech
denouncing Stalin as a murderer and a torturer. And I thought about what
he told me and I thought, Can I really believe him?

SIMON: Well, what made you decide to run with the story?

Mr. RETTIE: We knew there had been an speech. Rumors had started
circulating in embassies and among Communist correspondents of the West
and so on. So we tried to file it through the censorship but it didn't
go. And we knew no details about what was in the speech, except that it
had been a brutal denunciation of Stalin.

But this was so much in detail, and there was another incentive. There
was a temporary correspondent in the New York Times in town, and he was
leaving the next day as well. So we knew that he would file at least
what little we knew, that there had been this sensational speech, even
if he didn't know any detail, and we'd be beaten at our own story, which
was so much more complete.

SIMON: John, 50 years after the fact, do you think that Nikita
Khrushchev himself authorized the speech to be leaked in this manner
through you?

Mr. RETTIE: He couldn't have done it in any formal way, but yes, I do
believe that word came from him because nobody else could've done it.
And of course you have to remember that he knew all the Western
correspondents personally, because he and his colleagues started coming
to diplomatic receptions two years earlier and chatting to us and
drinking with us. I even drank out of Khrushchev's glass once with his
permission.

SIMON: I was going to ask, yeah.

Mr. RETTIE: I didn't snatch it from him. No. It was quite a good story,
even Khrushchev handing me his glass and saying, This is a lot better
than that whiskey we had in your embassy last week. Here, try it.

So we were on sort of intimate drinking terms in a way. Which meant that
he would know us enough to know that we were serious journalists. And it
was obvious that I was going out to Stockholm 'cause you had to get exit
visas from the Soviet Union in those days. So he would've thought, yes,
this is the right fellow. And anyway, he's got the opportunity.

SIMON: John, help us understand half a century later the significance of
this story, the impact that it had.

Mr. RETTIE: You must remember that Stalin was virtually a God to most
citizens of the Soviet Union, and suddenly only three years after his
death he was made the devil, and this was so shocking to so many people
in the Soviet Union and to believing Communists elsewhere in the world.
I noticed that what use to be known as the Soviet News Agency TASS,
still functions, has been saying in an article, a 50th anniversary
article, that during the speech some members of the audience, some party
delegates, had heart attacks. And afterwards, some committed suicide.

And of course, as we know, the consequences in the Soviet Bloc were much
worse than Khrushchev had expected, I think. For example, the trouble in
Poland and even more the uprising in Hungary, the attempted
anti-Communist Revolution.

And in the West, I think Khrushchev's aim at getting it out into the
world was that he wanted people to understand that he really was
breaking with Stalin.

SIMON: I've heard a story that somebody sitting in that chamber who
heard Khrushchev's remarks that day had the effrontery, audacity, even
courage to shout at Khrushchev, where were you?

Mr. RETTIE: I have heard that somebody had stood up while Khrushchev was
listing the torture systems and the murderings that had gone on and
shouted well if he was so bad, why didn't you get rid of him? And
Khrushchev stopped and said, Who said that? And there was silence in the
hall. So he repeated himself. Who said that? And there was still
silence, and he said, Well, now you understand why we didn't do anything.

SIMON: John, what was your impression just as a human being of Nikita
Khrushchev?

Mr. RETTIE: I had an enormously high regard for Khrushchev, I must say,
even though I think he must have had blood on his hands. He had the
bluest eyes of anybody I've ever met. He was really quite an ugly man,
but his eyes were something special, and so was his smile. And I have to
say that he learned faster than anybody I've known. And also he did two
absolutely crucial things for which he must be given credit.

One was he closed the Gulags and brought the secret police under
control. The other was that he understood that you couldn't win a
nuclear war. Stalin had given signs of feeling that the Soviet Union
would win if there was a nuclear war. Khrushchev understood that was
absolute nonsense. And I think possibly there might have been in his
early years a chance of, if not ending, at least mitigating the Cold War.

SIMON: John Rettie, correspondent for Reuters. It's been wonderful to
talk to you.

Mr. RETTIE: Scott, it's been a pleasure to reminisce.

Copyright © 2006 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of
use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor.
This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in
the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record
of NPR’s programming is the audio record.

Jim Wilkins

Sep 21, 2022, 5:26:38 PMSep 21
"a425couple" wrote in message news:tlKWK.144227$IRd5...@fx10.iad...

SIMON: John, what was your impression just as a human being of Nikita
Khrushchev?

Mr. RETTIE: I had an enormously high regard for Khrushchev, I must say,
even though I think he must have had blood on his hands. He had the
bluest eyes of anybody I've ever met. He was really quite an ugly man,
but his eyes were something special, and so was his smile. And I have to
say that he learned faster than anybody I've known. And also he did two
absolutely crucial things for which he must be given credit.

----------------------

A story I've heard but not confirmed is that Khrushchev called JFK on the
Hot Line with a proposal to defuse the Missile Crisis by removing his from
Cuba if JFK would remove the similar Jupiter missiles from Turkey. JFK
didn't have his own solution and accepted.

Supposedly the plan to have them in Cuba was Castro's, on Guevara's urging.
Afterwards Guevara was sidelined to Africa and then Bolivia where he could
no longer incite a superpower crisis.

John Dillinger

Sep 21, 2022, 9:11:58 PMSep 21
On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:26:01 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>A story I've heard but not confirmed is that Khrushchev called JFK on the
>Hot Line

There was no hot line between the White House and the Kremlin during
the Cuban missile crisis. The negotiation was done through diplomatic
channels.

--
/\_/\
((@v@))

Jim Wilkins

Sep 22, 2022, 7:44:04 AMSep 22
"John Dillinger" wrote in message news:jp1r2r...@mid.individual.net...
----------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow%E2%80%93Washington_hotline

Thanks. Most of what I've read about it came from a Russian source.

Peter Stickney

Sep 28, 2022, 3:11:15 AMSep 28
Also, the Jupiters in Italy and Turkey (None of them, despite the legend,
visible from the Black sea) were useless lemons, and were already
scheduled for retirement.

--
Pete Stickney
From the Foothills of the Florida Alps