Af/Pak & Other News (2/28/2021)

dump...@hotmail.com

Feb 28, 2021, 8:19:07 PM2/28/21
Op-Ed: The U.S.-Taliban peace deal only whetted the insurgents’ appetite for more violence

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-02-28/afghanistan-taliban-afghan-government-troop-withdrawal-joe-biden-donald-trump

Failed State: Why the Taliban’s Corrupt Afghanistan Can’t Be Saved

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/middle-east-watch/failed-state-why-taliban%E2%80%99s-corrupt-afghanistan-can%E2%80%99t-be-saved-178902

What Happens to Afghanistan If U.S. Troops Leave?

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2021/02/what-happens-to-afghanistan-if-u-s-troops-leave/

Arrival of "sticky bombs" in Indian Kashmir sets off alarm bells

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-kashmir-explosives/arrival-of-sticky-bombs-in-indian-kashmir-sets-off-alarm-bells-idUSKCN2AS08K

Krivak Forever

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsurf/articles/20210228.aspx

Iran rejects informal nuke talks with U.S. and EU, insists Biden drop sanctions first

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/iran-rejects-informal-nuke-talks-with-us-and-eu-insists-biden-drop-sanctions-first/ar-BB1e64hF

‘Not a good idea:’ Experts concerned about pope trip to Iraq

https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-health-coronavirus-pandemic-infectious-diseases-iraq-87b7aa68dfa80371dcc221697e14abde

Turkey, Iran Spar Diplomatically Amid Turkish Threats Over Iraq

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-28/turkey-iran-spar-diplomatically-amid-turkish-threats-over-iraq

Israeli-owned ship docked in Dubai after mysterious blast

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-israel-iran-iran-nuclear-united-arab-emirates-5395e0df33beee5819f35bee8e04e4b6

VIDEO: Saudi Arabia intercepts missile from Iran-backed fighters

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-saudi-arabia-intercepts-missile-from-iran-backed-fighters-2021-2

As World's Worst Humanitarian Crisis Rages, the 'Perfect Storm' is Blowing Up in Yemen

https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-worst-humanitarian-crisis-rages-perfect-storm-blowing-yemen-1572544

Fighting intensifies between Houthis, Yemen gov’t forces in Marib

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/28/fighting-intensifies-between-houthis-yemen-govt-forces-in-marib

Yemen Rebels Claim Saudi Strikes, Threaten New Attack

https://www.voanews.com/middle-east/yemen-rebels-claim-saudi-strikes-threaten-new-attack

Turkish Navy kicked off BLUE HOMELAND-2021 large scale exercise

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/02/turkish-navy-kicked-off-blue-homeland-2021-large-scale-exercise/

Russian helicopter crash-lands in northern Syria, casualties

https://apnews.com/article/syria-middle-east-russia-bashar-assad-c536cd683a966e46291e238c325640a3

Israel said to hit Iranian targets in Syria after Tehran blamed for ship blast

https://www.timesofisrael.com/syria-reports-israeli-airstrikes-in-damascus-area/

Use of Sarin in Syria 'Awakened the World to a Grave Threat,' Says Pulitzer-Winning Journalist Joby Warrick

https://www.newsweek.com/2021/03/12/use-sarin-syria-awakened-world-grave-threat-says-pulitzer-winning-journalist-joby-warrick-1572402.html

Attackers strike gas pipeline in eastern Syria, causing fire

https://apnews.com/article/syria-islamic-state-group-bdf91a906a4b816acc3ce4f87a511c24

Lebanese Air Force receives three more Huey IIs from the US

https://defbrief.com/2021/02/28/lebanese-air-force-receives-three-more-huey-iis-from-the-us/

Inside a Nigerian Bandit Camp

https://www.voanews.com/africa/inside-nigerian-bandit-camp

US Report Documents Atrocities, Ethnic Cleansing in Tigray, NY Times Says

https://www.voanews.com/ethiopia-tigray/us-report-documents-atrocities-ethnic-cleansing-tigray-ny-times-says

UkrOboronProm starts assembly of new ‘Iroquois’ utility helicopter

https://defence-blog.com/news/ukroboronprom-starts-assembly-of-new-iroquois-utility-helicopter.html

Russia's Unique Super Submarine Mothership: Belgorod

http://www.hisutton.com/Belgorod-Class-Submarine.html

Putin's hypersonic army: what is the state of cutting-edge Russian missiles?

https://www.aerotime.aero/27365-Putins-hypersonic-army-what-is-up-with-new-Russian-missiles

Resisting Russia; At some point in the next generation, the Kremlin will realize that the United States is not its principal national security challenge.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/resisting-russia-178866

Russia's New Deep-Diving Drone Submarine with AIP

http://www.hisutton.com/Russian-Sarma-UUV.html

Russian Hacker Stole Identities of Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients in Sordid Scheme

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-hacker-stole-identities-of-us-congressional-medal-of-honor-recipients-in-sordid-scheme

Russia Sends Navalny to Notorious Penal Camp Feared by Inmates

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-28/russia-sends-navalny-to-notorious-penal-camp-feared-by-inmates

Swiss Army procuring new Cobra 120mm mortars

https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/48603

Norway's 4 Possible 212CDs Await Content Agreement

http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/2021/02/norways-4-possible-tkms-212cds-await.html

Check Out These Awesome Shots Of Four RNoAF F-35A Jets Refueling For The First Time From A French C-135 Tanker

https://theaviationist.com/2021/02/28/check-out-these-awesome-shots-of-four-rnoaf-f-35a-jets-refueling-for-the-first-time-from-a-french-c-135-tanker/

That time the U.S. Army went ghost hunting in Germany

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/that-time-the-u-s-army-went-ghost-hunting-in-germany/

Irish Air Corps PC-9 with engine failure glide 30km to make safe landing

http://alert5.com/2021/02/28/irish-air-corps-pc-9-with-engine-failure-glide-30km-to-make-safe-landing/

British tanks to receive next-generation camouflage

https://defence-blog.com/news/army/british-tanks-to-receive-next-generation-camouflage.html

Colombian Military Launches New “Elite” Unit to Counter Narcos, Rebels

https://sofrep.com/news/colombian-military-launches-new-elite-unit-to-counter-narcos-rebels/

China Appears to Warn India: Push Too Hard and the Lights Could Go Out

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/28/us/politics/china-india-hacking-electricity.html

With new mass detentions, every prominent Hong Kong activist is either in jail or exile

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/hong-kong-arrests-national-security-law/2021/02/28/7e6cd252-77ea-11eb-9489-8f7dacd51e75_story.html

Chinese Spies Are Playing a Dangerous Game in Taiwan

https://sofrep.com/news/the-spy-war-between-china-and-taiwan/

'How many dead bodies?' asked Myanmar protester killed on bloodiest day

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-politics-scene/how-many-dead-bodies-asked-myanmar-protester-killed-on-bloodiest-day-idUSKCN2AS0FN

LR-2 King Air 350 delivered to JGSDF

http://alert5.com/2021/02/28/lr-2-king-air-350-delivered-to-jgsdf/

Australia Reconsiders $70B Deal for French Submarines

https://www.maritime-executive.com/editorials/australia-reconsiders-70b-deal-for-french-submarines

Canada: PAL Aerospace, De Havilland Canada team up to develop Dash 8 P-4 Special Mission Aircraft

https://www.blogbeforeflight.net/2021/02/pal-aerospace-de-havilland-mou-develop-special-mission-aircraft.html

Fugitive and former CIA agent Edward Snowden set to speak to students at Iowa State

https://www.weareiowa.com/article/news/local/fugitive-and-former-cia-agent-edward-snowden-set-to-speak-to-students-at-iowa-state/524-207b183f-5c02-4f91-8930-3c0b9da4fca8

SolarWinds Officials Throw Intern Under the Bus for ‘solarwinds123’ Password Fail

https://gizmodo.com/solarwinds-officials-throw-intern-under-the-bus-for-so-1846373445

How a hacker attempted to poison a city's water supply and the cybersecurity lessons learned

https://www.zdnet.com/video/how-a-hacker-attempted-to-poison-a-citys-water-supply-and-the-cybersecurity-lessons-learned/

New "metalens" shifts focus without tilting or moving

https://www.nanodaily.com/reports/New_metalens_shifts_focus_without_tilting_or_moving_999.html

Desert Storm attack pilot integrates 30-years of tactics with new technology

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2515654/desert-storm-attack-pilot-integrates-30-years-of-tactics-with-new-technology/

The Air Force's MQ-9 Reaper Won't Be Heading to the Junkyard

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/air-forces-mq-9-reaper-wont-be-heading-junkyard-179016

Boeing T-7A Red Hawk USAF Trainer Enters Production, Nod to the Tuskege Airmen

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/boeing-t-7a-red-hawk-usaf-trainer-enters-production-nod-to-the-tuskege-airmen-156901.html

SolomonW

Feb 28, 2021, 11:40:04 PM2/28/21
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 17:19:06 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Australia Reconsiders $70B Deal for French Submarines
>
> https://www.maritime-executive.com/editorials/australia-reconsiders-70b-deal-for-french-submarines

I am sure that France sold Australia vapourware.

SolomonW

Mar 1, 2021, 11:00:50 PM3/1/21
On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 19:14:13 +0100, DAN wrote:

> SolomonW wrote:
>
>>I am sure that France sold Australia vapourware.
>
> Do you mean that you think Australia is that dumb?

Never overestimate the intelligence of a person who has billions

Gernot Hassenpflug

Mar 22, 2021, 12:10:59 AM3/22/21
Indeed. Regarding the Arctic Connect submarine cable
(https://www.submarinenetworks.com), apparently progress is great with
access to the EU. Japan however managed to sign a deal with a dummy
corporation and lost a rather startlingly large amount to the fraud,
mainly owing to their own stupidity which seems to be institutionalized
at many levels.
--
NNTP on Emacs 25.2 from Windows 7