Af/Pak & Other News (7/1/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jul 1, 2012, 6:47:16 PM7/1/12
Troop immunity likely to be focus of U.S., Afghanistan deal:

http://canindia.com/2012/06/troop-immunity-likely-to-be-focus-of-u-s-afghanistan-deal/

US drones strike again in the Shawal Valley:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/07/us_drones_strike_aga.php

Stan McChrystal, Drone Skeptic:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/stan-mcchrystal-drone-skeptic/

Man in Afghan police uniform kills three NATO personnel:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/402262/man-in-afghan-police-uniform-kills-three-nato-personnel/

Gray Eagle Gets Down:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairfo/articles/20120701.aspx

India floods displace more than 850,000:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/29/12478381-india-floods-displace-more-than-850000?lite

Iran to fire missiles in desert war games: Guards:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Jul-01/178949-iran-to-fire-missiles-in-desert-war-games-guards.ashx#axzz1zPVMOZb6

U.N. publishes report on Iran arms trade with Syria:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/30/us-iran-sanctions-un-idUSBRE85T02Q20120630

Turkey scrambles jets after Syria copters approach border:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/2/8/46661/World/Region/Turkey-scrambles-jets-after-Syria-copters-approach.aspx

Assad's forces on offensive; Moscow defends him again:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-syria-crisisbre85d0is-20120614,0,4582921.story

“Russia Helped Shoot Down the Turkish Aircraft":

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=1441

Israel fears Hezbollah will blockade sea in future war:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=275912

Israel hands Hamas militant 54 life terms:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-hands-hamas-militant-54-life-terms-1.448050

Militiamen, protesters storm election commission in eastern city, set
voting slips on fire:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/libyan-african-tabu-tribe-threaten-to-boycott-parliamentary-elections-after-deadly-clashes/2012/07/01/gJQALmByFW_story.html

Masked 'goons' kill at least 17 in attacks on churches in Kenya:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/01/12506909-masked-goons-kill-at-least-17-in-attacks-on-churches-in-kenya?lite

Destruction of ancient Timbuktu shrines a ‘war crime’: ICC prosecutor:

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/07/01/223879.html

Norway frustrated with NH90 delays:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/30/norway-frustrated-with-nh90-delays/

British 'not to blame' for rapid sinking and loss of life on liner RMS
Lusitania, find underwater researchers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9366985/British-not-to-blame-for-rapid-sinking-and-loss-of-life-on-liner-RMS-Lusitania-find-underwater-researchers.html

Sensational Malaysian submarine scandal resurfaces:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/300591/sensational-malaysian-submarine-scandal-resurfaces

Taiwan retires 20 fast attack missile boats:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iemOCZothWoMTHD3bXKMcrWi3YCw?docId=CNG.23327dd58ceaf0d9fd4b724c6070d01a.c1

10000′s of AutoCAD files leaked in suspected industrial espionage:

http://blog.eset.com/2012/06/21/acadmedre-10000s-of-autocad-files-leaked-in-suspected-industrial-espionage

In Artificial Intelligence Breakthrough, Google Computers Teach
Themselves To Spot Cats on YouTube:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/06/27/google_computers_learn_to_identify_cats_on_youtube_in_artificial_intelligence_study.html

Andrew Swallow

Jul 2, 2012, 2:13:45 AM7/2/12
On 01/07/2012 23:47, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> 10000′s of AutoCAD files leaked in suspected industrial espionage:
>
> http://blog.eset.com/2012/06/21/acadmedre-10000s-of-autocad-files-leaked-in-suspected-industrial-espionage

The blueprints were sent to China. This is not the sort of hacking a
schoolboy would do. Only a government or manufacturing company could
use the stolen information.

As well as updating the virus checker the organisations relaying the
data were informed. If the hack was performed by a Chinese intelligence
organisation that just told them they need to set up a new path.

Andrew Swallow

Keith W

Jul 2, 2012, 5:21:52 AM7/2/12
Peru is notorious for its use of pirated software with
a recent survey showing that only 7% of users were
fully licensed. This incident is a classic case of what happens
when people copy unlicensed and unchecked software
from PC to PC

Serves em right, any of the mainstream AV programs
will catch this and you pretty much need to install
from an infected system to get it.

Keith

SolomonW

Jul 2, 2012, 7:37:53 AM7/2/12
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:47:16 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> British 'not to blame' for rapid sinking and loss of life on liner RMS
> Lusitania, find underwater researchers:
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9366985/British-not-to-blame-for-rapid-sinking-and-loss-of-life-on-liner-RMS-Lusitania-find-underwater-researchers.html

Interesting, thanks for the link

Jim Wilkins

Jul 2, 2012, 8:29:09 AM7/2/12

"SolomonW" <Solo...@citi.com> wrote in message
I couldn't fault the conclusions of the Titanic inquiry even with
knowledge of the wreck, which disproves several guesses.
http://www.titanicinquiry.org/USInq/USReport/AmInqRep03.php

There are still unanswered questions that suggest the cold ice field
may have caused an atmospheric inversion that displaced the horizon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fata_Morgana_(mirage)
"A Fata Morgana is most commonly seen in polar regions, especially
over large sheets of ice which have a uniform low temperature."

Titanic's reported position was wrong by much more than it should have
been, estimates of the distance to Californian vary substantially, and
the iceberg suddenly appeared out of misty nowhere.

jsw

SolomonW

Jul 3, 2012, 7:33:44 AM7/3/12
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:29:09 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> "SolomonW" <Solo...@citi.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:47:16 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> British 'not to blame' for rapid sinking and loss of life on liner
>>> RMS
>>> Lusitania, find underwater researchers:
>>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9366985/British-not-to-blame-for-rapid-sinking-and-loss-of-life-on-liner-RMS-Lusitania-find-underwater-researchers.html
>>
>> Interesting, thanks for the link
>
> I couldn't fault the conclusions of the Titanic inquiry even with

I think you talking of a different ship

Jim Wilkins

Jul 3, 2012, 8:28:21 AM7/3/12

"SolomonW" <Solo...@citi.com> wrote in message
Similar situation, a famous and thoroughly investigated sinking whose
lingering mysteries were only partly explained by examining the wreck.
Given what they knew and suspected, would you reach the same
conclusions?

jsw

Jeffrey Hamilton

Jul 3, 2012, 12:38:04 PM7/3/12
dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Troop immunity likely to be focus of U.S., Afghanistan deal:
This picture is absolutely amazing, talk about trust, the 'mahout' is
guiding an elephant, whose whole head apart from his trunk is underwater, to
higher ground. How the hell do you train an animal to do that ? William, any
insight ?

cheers....Jeff

Jeffrey Hamilton

Jul 3, 2012, 1:06:28 PM7/3/12
Fabulous story but it's the Telegraph and so can it be trusted, William,
Keith, comment please ?

cheers....Jeff

Jeffrey Hamilton

Jul 3, 2012, 1:36:47 PM7/3/12
Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "SolomonW" <Solo...@citi.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:29:09 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>
>>> "SolomonW" <Solo...@citi.com> wrote in message

>>> I couldn't fault the conclusions of the Titanic inquiry even with
>>
>> I think you talking of a different ship
>
> Similar situation,

But how many years and how many torpedos vs. icebergs difference, was there
Jim ?

Cheers Jeff

Keith W

Jul 3, 2012, 1:43:26 PM7/3/12
Frankly I have never seen what the fuss was about.

The Germans had made clear their intention to sink British
flagged ships without warning and their has never been
any evidence that the Lusitania was specially targetted.

The Germans even placed an advert in the NY Times
spelling this policy out

<Quote>

Notice!
Travellers intending to embark on the Atlantic voyage are reminded that a
state of war exists between Germany and her allies and Great Britain and her
allies; that the zone of war includes the waters adjacent to the British
Isles; that, in accordance with formal notice given by the Imperial German
Government, vessels flying the flag of Great Britain, or any of her allies,
are liable to destruction in those waters and that travellers sailing in the
war zone on the ships of Great Britain or her allies do so at their own
risk.

Imperial German Embassy
Washington, D.C. 22nd April 1915

</Quote>

Keith

Bill

Jul 3, 2012, 2:27:54 PM7/3/12
Only that elephants in India are highly domesticated and you sometimes
see them outside small cafes scrounging chapattis while the 'driver'
is making a phone call at an adjoining phone stall.

Bill

Jul 3, 2012, 2:29:25 PM7/3/12
Generally the Telegraph can be trusted, especially about military
stuff.

Paul J. Adam

Jul 3, 2012, 4:36:00 PM7/3/12
Depends what they're reporting. Straight factual material, pretty much
so: at the moment, though, they're being a whispering gallery for
various folk with axes to grind about the upcoming Army 2020 report.
Hence some of the stories about "six brigadiers resign in protest" - no,
at least four of them retired as normal weeks or months ago with no
protest at all, but that doesn't fit the agenda.

They've also been running briefings about "the Territorial Army is not
fit for purpose" as a way of trying to deflect the expected shift to a
more Reserve-based military: not quite realising that the Regulars run
and are responsible for TA readiness, so stories like that are in the
"bullet, meet foot" category on closer examination.

--
He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.

Bill

Jul 3, 2012, 4:55:02 PM7/3/12
And an angry letter in The Times today (Had a pub lunch and there was
a free one lying on the table, I can recommend the game pie at 'Pave'
in Hull) saying isn't it about time one of the infantry regiments in
the Brigade of Guards was chopped and that it isn't fair that it is
always the line regiments who feel the pain.

Kathy Rages

Jul 3, 2012, 5:24:54 PM7/3/12
In article <4bGIr.613155$Kf2.3...@fx07.am4>,
Keith W <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Frankly I have never seen what the fuss was about.
>
>The Germans had made clear their intention to sink British
>flagged ships without warning and their has never been
>any evidence that the Lusitania was specially targetted.
>
>The Germans even placed an advert in the NY Times
>spelling this policy out

The Germans in WWI had a bad attitude of "we can do anything we damn please
as long as we say ahead of time that we're going to". As in "if any of our
troops in Belgium suffers so much as an insect bite, we will enter a Belgian
village and kill everyone we find." Nobody else was buying this "we said
ahead of time that we'd do it, so we had every right to do it" line, and the
Lusitania was seen as just more of the same. Even though it wasn't, exactly.

--
Kathy Rages

Jim Wilkins

Jul 3, 2012, 9:30:06 PM7/3/12
"Jeffrey Hamilton" <bbere...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "SolomonW" <Solo...@citi.com> wrote in message

>>> I think you talking of a different ship
>>
>> Similar situation,
>

> But how many years and how many torpedos vs. icebergs difference,
> was there Jim ?
> Cheers Jeff

The very close link between them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMHS_Britannic

The U-Boot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-73

jsw

Keith W

Jul 4, 2012, 3:37:55 AM7/4/12
It has been pretty well established that the Brittanic hit a mine.

Keith

dott.Piergiorgio

Jul 4, 2012, 7:15:26 AM7/4/12
Il 04/07/2012 09:37, Keith W ha scritto:

c'mon, reading anglo-saxon people argumenting about Naval forensics on
100 and 95 years ago sinking is definitively the very least thing I need
today.....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Jim Wilkins

Jul 4, 2012, 11:57:57 AM7/4/12

"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
So ignore it.

I like reading accident reports as detective stories:
http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR90-06.pdf

They demand a higher level of technical comprehension but are arranged
the same way, giving you all the evidence first so you can guess, then
explaining their conclusions. The characters are skilled, competent,
usually responsible people like us instead of greedy heiresses,
stressed beyond their abilities as in good science fiction. Or
sometimes they just bungle it, the Andrea Doria and Costa Concordia
incidents for example.

jsw