Af/Pak & Other News (4/1/2017)

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 2, 2017, 12:08:11 AM4/2/17
Russia Says Trying To Push Afghan Taliban To Join National Reconciliation:

http://www.rferl.org/a/russia-afghanistan-taliban-national-reconciliation/28404432.html

The day Prince Charles tried to halt a war: How the future king phoned the US
ambassador to ask for a delay on the Afghan invasion... because he wanted to
'honour' Ramadan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4369730/The-day-Prince-Charles-tried-halt-war.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Army Special Operator Helped Save 1,400 Lives In Afghanistan, Docs Reveal:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/31/army-special-operator-helped-save-1400-lives-in-afghanistan-released-docs-reveal/

Mark Bowden on his time in Afghanistan and on revamping international aid:

http://www.afghanistansun.com/news/252635529/interview-mark-bowden-on-his-time-in-afghanistan-and-on-revamping-international-aid

Are Pakistan and Russia forming an alliance? Not without China, says expert:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1324187/are-pakistan-and-russia-forming-an-alliance-not-without-china-says-expert

US Delivers Cessna Aircraft To Pakistan Army:

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18892/US_Delivers_Cessna_Aircraft_To_Pakistan_Army

Is the Iranian regime facing a Kurdish uprising?:

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Is-the-Iranian-regime-facing-a-Kurdish-uprising-485798

Iraq: Airstrikes kill dozens of militants near Syria border:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_IRAQ?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Islamic State second-in-command killed in airstrike, Iraqi intelligence says:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-islamicstate-idUSKBN1733IU

Islamic State propagandist was ‘brainwashing’ children, US military says:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2017/03/islamic-state-propagandist-brainwashing-children-us-military-says.php

ISIS Has A New Plan For How To Kill With Drones It Bought Online:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/30/isis-has-a-new-plan-for-how-to-kill-with-drones-it-bought-online/

The Little-Known Aircraft That Wages War On ISIS' Communications:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-little-known-aircraft-that-wages-war-on-isis-commun-1793901527

In Bahrain, Confrontation for the Sake of Confrontation:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/paul-pillar/bahrain-confrontation-the-sake-confrontation-19964

U.S. increasingly sees Iran’s hand in the arming of Bahraini militants:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-increasingly-sees-irans-hand-in-the-arming-of-bahraini-militants/2017/04/01/be5e61fc-1329-11e7-833c-503e1f6394c9_story.html?utm_term=.d79b44ce23ee

This Crazy Militarized Semi Is Bristling With 240 Artillery Rockets:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/8868/this-crazy-militarized-semi-is-bristling-with-240-artillery-rockets

Saudi Arabia Still Seeking Nuclear Weapons Capability:

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/report-saudi-arabia-still-seeking-nuclear-weapons-capability/

Report: Iran built a guided missile in a drone's body for rebels in Yemen:

http://www.popsci.com/iran-reportedly-built-guided-missile-in-drones-body-for-rebels-in-yemen

Yemen unveils another SA-2 derived surface-to-surface ballistic missile:

http://alert5.com/2017/04/02/yemen-unveils-another-sa-2-derived-surface-to-surface-ballistic-missile/

Turkey ends 'successful' operation in Syria:

http://www.janes.com/article/69185/turkey-ends-successful-operation-in-syria

US-led Coalition Boosting Airfield Capabilities in Syria:

http://www.voanews.com/a/us-led-coalition-increasing-airfield-capabilities-in-syria/3791891.html

How the Syrian Civil War Has Transformed Hezbollah:

https://www.thenation.com/article/how-the-syrian-civil-war-has-transformed-hezbollah/

ISIS Makes Everyone Dress The Same To Deter US Drone Strikes:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/30/isis-makes-everyone-dress-the-same-to-deter-us-drone-strikes/

How an Anarchist Bitcoin Coder Found Himself Fighting ISIS in Syria:

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/anarchist-bitcoin-coder-found-fighting-isis-syria/

How two U.S. Marxists wound up on the front lines against ISIS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/how-two-us-marxists-wound-up-on-the-front-lines-against-isis/2017/03/30/3c722344-c79e-11e6-acda-59924caa2450_story.html?utm_term=.77bf9d729829

The Battle over IAF's Next Fighter & the Coming War in Gaza:

http://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/29078

Israel wants to double the Iron Dome missile load on its Sa’ar-6 corvettes:

http://alert5.com/2017/04/02/israel-wants-to-double-the-iron-dome-missile-load-on-its-saar-6-corvettes/

Hamas looking undersea, not just underground, for attack routes:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-looking-undersea-not-just-underground-for-attack-routes/

Several Israeli Websites Compromised by Iranian Threat Actor CopyKitten:

http://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/29081

Exclusive! First picture of an egyptian Mig29/35:

http://www.menadefense.net/2017/03/31/exclusive-first-picture-of-an-egyptian-mig2935/

Egypt is downplaying its rioting — but it's finally gaining momentum:

http://www.businessinsider.com/egypt-revolution-2017-3

With Trump approval, Pentagon expands warfighting authority:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PENTAGON_AT_WAR?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

America Is Expanding Its Secretive War in Somalia:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/8851/america-is-expanding-its-secretive-war-in-somalia

Hundreds missing in Boko Haram's biggest abduction of kids:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AF_NIGERIA_BOKO_HARAM_KIDNAPPED_KIDS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

US Escalates Criticism of Russia Over Ukraine, Vows Sanctions to Stay:

http://www.voanews.com/a/us-escalates-criticism-of-russia-over-ukraine-vows-sanctions/3791985.html

Kremlin-linked hacker crew's tactics exposed:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/31/apt_28_hacking_tactics/

Russia's Super-Sized Tu-128 Fighter: The Supersonic B-52 Killer:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-super-sized-tu-128-fighter-the-supersonic-b-52-19972?page=show

Russian Navy Kirov-class cruiser Admiral Nakhimov Return to Operational Status
Slips to 2022:

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2017/april-2017-navy-naval-forces-defense-industry-technology-maritime-security-global-news/5050-russian-navy-kirov-class-cruiser-admiral-nakhimov-return-to-operational-status-slips-to-2022.html

HUSKY: Russia's Next Generation Attack Submarine:

http://www.hisutton.com/Husky_SSN.html

Poland poised to buy Patriot, months of negotiations ahead:

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/poland-poised-to-buy-patriot-months-of-negotiations-ahead

Czech Republic Unveils Revamped L-159 Attack Aircraft After Production Reboot:

https://sputniknews.com/military/201703311052173865-czech-aircraft-l159-production/

Germany Orders 1,000 Spike LR Missiles from Rafael:

http://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/29073

Saab given contract to develop RBS15 ER:

http://alert5.com/2017/04/01/saab-given-contract-to-develop-rbs15-er/

Airbus faces cash headache, lengthy talks over A400M delays:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/03/31/airbus-faces-cash-headache-lengthy-talks-over-a400m-delays.html

Dambusters bouncing bomb discovered washed up on a beach in Kent:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/31/world-war-two-bouncing-bomb-discovered-beach-kent/

Dragonfire: the road to battlefield ready laser weaponry:

http://www.army-technology.com/features/featuredragonfire-the-road-to-battlefield-ready-laser-weaponry-5771481/

Nation Building by Reduction:

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2017/03/31/nation-building-by-reduction/

Venezuela high court reverses move to strip congress’ power:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/1/venezuela-high-court-reverses-move-strip-congress-/

Megacities and One belt One road are core to China's 100 year economic strategy:

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/04/megacities-and-one-belt-one-road-are.html

China's Next Aircraft Carrier: Everything We Know (So Far):

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/chinas-next-aircraft-carrier-everything-we-know-so-far-19965

Chinese weapon designs boosted by US experience, tech start-ups:

http://www.janes.com/article/69169/chinese-weapon-designs-boosted-by-us-experience-tech-start-ups

Trump admin. hits North Koreans with sanctions over WMD program:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/31/donald-trump-administration-hits-north-koreans-san/

WikiLeaks’ latest release of CIA cyber-tools could blow the cover on agency
hacking operations:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/wikileaks-latest-release-of-cia-cyber-tools-could-blow-the-cover-on-agency-hacking-operations/2017/03/31/63fc3616-1636-11e7-833c-503e1f6394c9_story.html?utm_term=.8b7cf958117d

'We already are in a cyber war' with Russia — a former Marine cyber warrior
explains:

http://www.businessinsider.com/cyber-warfare-expert-outlines-what-us-russia-cyber-war-looks-like-2017-3

New terrorist laptop bombs may evade airport security, intel sources say:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/politics/terrorist-laptop-bombs-may-evade-security/

Destroyer's name honors aviator who tried to save comrade:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AVIATOR_WARSHIP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

SpaceX reuses Falcon 9 rocket, but long road ahead for military adoption:

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/despite-historic-spacex-resuable-rocket-launch-long-road-ahead-for-military-adoption

Stratcom Chief Presses for Nuke Force Upgrade:

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/03/31/stratcom-chief-nuclear-force-upgrade/

Air Force Getting Creative in Attempt to Deal With 1500+ Pilot Shortage:

https://sofrep.com/78355/air-force-getting-creative-attempt-deal-1500-pilot-shortage/

F-16 Production Ended, Or Did It:

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairfo/articles/20170401.aspx

Boeing Seeks to Corner Military Spy Aircraft Market:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=2469

Boeing Is Still Trying To Make The Advanced Super Hornet Happen:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/boeing-is-still-trying-to-make-the-advanced-super-horne-1793902240

Boeing first out of blocks with T-X proposal:

http://www.janes.com/article/69148/boeing-first-out-of-blocks-with-t-x-proposal

Short On Cash For KC-46, U.S. Air Force Eyes Upgraded KC-135:

http://www.realcleardefense.com/2017/03/10/short_on_cash_for_kc-46_us_air_force_eyes_upgraded_kc-135_291101.html

Director of Testing says F35 needs years and billions to get near combat usable
but DOD says US taxpayers should be fine with barely usable for $100+ billion
and 12 years late:

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/04/director-of-testing-says-f35-needs.html

Coast Guard Issues Draft RFP for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for National Security
Cutters:

https://news.usni.org/2017/03/31/coast-guard-issues-draft-rfp-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-national-security-cutters

Vaughn Simon

Apr 2, 2017, 10:36:19 AM4/2/17
On 4/2/2017 12:08 AM, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> US Delivers Cessna Aircraft To Pakistan Army:
>
> http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18892/US_Delivers_Cessna_Aircraft_To_Pakistan_Army

So unless delivered specially modified with aftermarket STC turbine or
diesel engines, those Cessna T-206H Stationairs have reciprocating/avgas
engines, because that's all that Cessna currently offers from the
factory. I was under the impression that avgas is rare and very
expensive in much of the world these days.

Andrew Chaplin

Apr 3, 2017, 7:31:08 AM4/3/17
Vaughn Simon <vaugh...@gmail.com> wrote in
The "T"in its designation stands for "turbine."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_206#Cessna_206H
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Andrew Chaplin

Apr 3, 2017, 7:32:44 AM4/3/17
Vaughn Simon <vaugh...@gmail.com> wrote in

Disregard my last, the "T" stands for turbocharging.

Vaughn Simon

Apr 3, 2017, 7:39:53 AM4/3/17
On 4/3/2017 7:28 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:

> The "T"in its designation stands for "turbine."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_206#Cessna_206H

That sounds logical, but it's not quite right. The "T" stands for
"Turbo" as in "turbocharged". So it's just a turbocharged version of
the same reciprocating avgas engine. The turbo gives a few extra
horsepower in this case, but its main advantage is in high altitude
operations.

From Wiki: "The 206H is powered by a Lycoming IO-540-AC1A powerplant
producing 300 hp (220 kW). The turbocharged T206H is powered by a
Lycoming TSIO-540-AJ1A engine of 310 hp (230 kW)"

Peter Stickney

Apr 3, 2017, 11:20:29 PM4/3/17
All true. As to fuel - the current IO-540s are certificated in the U.S. to
run on 100LL, which is the most common type of AVGAS these days. Earlier
flavors of the engine were certificated to use 100/130, which is much more
difficult to get.
While it doesn't grow on trees, I'd be that 100LL is available, as long as
you're willing to pay for it. (Or the government)

--
Pete Stickney
Always remember to close all parentheses.