Af/Pak & Other News (6/15/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 15, 2013, 9:17:13 PM6/15/13
Afghan Forces, Taking Lead, Hold Steady in Violent District:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/world/asia/afghan-forces-taking-lead-hold-steady-in-violent-district.html?pagewanted=all

Attacks in Pakistan's southwest kills 22:

http://news.yahoo.com/attacks-pakistans-southwest-kills-22-204341659.html;_ylt=AqCzEycKngEhkVoet6R0L19vaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTNjMzZsZnQwBG1pdAMEcGtnA2Y5Y2JkMWVmLThkNTctMzBiZC1iMTE4LTRiZDdkY2MxNDYyMARwb3MDMQRzZWMDbG5fQXNpYV9nYWwEdmVyAzcyZTk2NzMyLWQ1ZmMtMTFlMi05YmU3LWVhMmM0ODliNWRiMg--;_ylg=X3oDMTB1bjZ2cDE2BGxhbmcDZW4tVVMEdGVzdANzY3JlZW5fY29udHJvbA--;_ylv=3

Al Qaeda facilitator targeted in eastern Afghanistan:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/06/al_qaeda_facilitator_2.php

Dark Days For The Generals:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/india/articles/20130615.aspx

Army ground-penetrating radar program moves forward; NIITEK to provide
test IED sensors:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2013/06/niitek-hmds-contract.html

Breaking News Headlines: Moderate Cleric Wins Iran's Presidential
Vote:

http://screen.yahoo.com/breaking-news-headlines-moderate-cleric-193416522.html

Al-Qaida's Iraq Head Defies Boss Over Syria Fight:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/al-qaidas-iraq-head-refuses-scrap-syria-merger-19409340#.Ubz-jZzchmI

Turkish riot police storm Istanbul park in bid to end protests:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/15/us-turkey-protests-idUSBRE9590QA20130615

Iran will send 4,000 troops to aid Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/world-exclusive-iran-will-send-4000-troops-to-aid-bashar-alassads-forces-in-syria-8660358.html

Syrian warplanes bomb rebels in Damascus: NGO:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130615-syrian-warplanes-bomb-rebels-damascus-ngo

How Obama crossed his own line on Syria after months of debate:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/15/us-usa-syria-obama-idUSBRE95E02G20130615

Syrian troops capture Damascus suburb near airport:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/syrian-troops-capture-damascus-suburb-near-airport

Syrian Rebels Defenseless Against Chemical Attacks
Expert urges U.S. to send gas masks:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/8df020dc54c6

Mursi cuts Egypt's Syria ties, backs no-fly zone:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/15/us-syria-crisis-egypt-mursi-idUSBRE95E0HA20130615

Sensor System to be Deployed along Israel-Lebanon Border:

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=2187

US confirms F-16s, Patriot missiles to stay in Jordan:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130615-us-confirms-f-16s-patriot-missiles-stay-jordan

Egypt/Ethiopia: River Wars II:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2013/06/river-wars-ii.html

Libya: Military vehicles on order from the Czech Republic:

http://www.libyaherald.com/2013/06/15/military-vehicles-on-order-from-the-czech-republic/

Saab considering unmanned Gripen E:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130613/DEFREG/306130017/Saab-Considers-Developing-Unmanned-Gripen?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

British warplanes divert US-bound flight after threat:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5idY33tnHvLkYQ_Zt436PJMPqfcPw?docId=CNG.1e0cb853eae78a4ee2a211df3413fa9a.801

RAF electronic warfare exercise disrupted by crow:

http://alert5.com/2013/06/15/raf-electronic-warfare-exercise-disrupted-by-crow/

China’s Great Uprooting: Moving 250 Million Into Cities:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/world/asia/chinas-great-uprooting-moving-250-million-into-cities.html?_r=0

Japan proposes NSA-style agency and new snooping laws:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/14/japan_nsa_internet_snooping_bad_timing/

South Korea to arm destroyers with SM-6 from 2016:

http://alert5.com/2013/06/15/south-korea-to-arm-destroyers-with-sm-6-from-2016/

Marines land Osprey aircraft on Japanese ship:

http://news.yahoo.com/marines-land-osprey-aircraft-japanese-ship-010016691.html

DATA Dystopia. The NSA Scandal and Beyond.:

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2013/06/the-nsa-story-and-the-negative-security-it-delivers-to-everyone.html

Prism Just the Tip of NSA Iceberg:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2013/06/15/prism-just-the-tip-of-nsa-iceberg.html

NSA: We listen to your phone calls without warrants, too:

http://www.zdnet.com/nsa-we-listen-to-your-phone-calls-without-warrants-too-7000016864/

Debate Starts Over Who Should Have Access to Classified Material:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130615/DEFREG02/306150006/Debate-Starts-Over-Who-Should-Access-Classified-Material

U.S. Navy Ships Get a New UAV:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htnavai/articles/20130615.aspx

Yeff

Jun 15, 2013, 10:41:47 PM6/15/13
On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 18:17:13 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> RAF electronic warfare exercise disrupted by crow:
>
> http://alert5.com/2013/06/15/raf-electronic-warfare-exercise-disrupted-by-crow/

The Association of Old Crows would probably find this amusing...
<http://www.crows.org/>

--

-Jeff B.
zoo...@fastmail.fm

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea

dott.Piergiorgio

Jun 17, 2013, 10:19:31 PM6/17/13
Il 16/06/2013 03:17, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Marines land Osprey aircraft on Japanese ship:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/marines-land-osprey-aircraft-japanese-ship-010016691.html

I'm pretty sure that Arlington is spinning wildly....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 6:03:13 AM6/18/13
"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
Many of our ancestors came here to get away from the perpetual tribal
rivalry of Europe. And after the war Japan embraced an American as
their new de facto Emperor.

jsw

Bill

Jun 18, 2013, 6:45:35 AM6/18/13
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 06:03:13 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
>> Il 16/06/2013 03:17, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
>>> Marines land Osprey aircraft on Japanese ship:
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/marines-land-osprey-aircraft-japanese-ship-010016691.html
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that Arlington is spinning wildly....
>>
>> Best regards from Italy,
>> dott. Piergiorgio.
>
>Many of our ancestors came here to get away from the perpetual tribal
>rivalry of Europe

As a general rule they were more concerned with poverty and not
starving.

dott.Piergiorgio

Jun 18, 2013, 6:45:57 AM6/18/13
Il 18/06/2013 12:03, Jim Wilkins ha scritto:

> Many of our ancestors came here to get away from the perpetual tribal
> rivalry of Europe. And after the war Japan embraced an American as
> their new de facto Emperor.

in your parallel world...

Daryl

Jun 18, 2013, 7:18:36 AM6/18/13
And to think this is one of the geniuses that has been following me
around.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 7:21:43 AM6/18/13
"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 06:03:13 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Many of our ancestors came here to get away from the perpetual
>>tribal
>>rivalry of Europe
>
> As a general rule they were more concerned with poverty and not
> starving.

http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/h/highgerm.html

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 7:43:08 AM6/18/13

"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
http://www.historynet.com/american-proconsul-how-douglas-macarthur-shaped-postwar-japan.htm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/peopleevents/pandeAMEX99.html
"Students of the occupation period are stunned by how readily the
Japanese remade their country along an American model."

http://www.amazon.com/Dear-General-MacArthur-Japanese-Occupation/dp/0742511162
"They reveal the fascinating diversity of opinion among Japanese, who
showered MacArthur with adulation, political advice, complaints,
gifts, and urgent personal pleas."

"Given the savagery of the war in the Pacific, the respectful,
occasionally worshipful tone of many of these letters has an eerie
quality."

jsw

Bill

Jun 18, 2013, 7:54:32 AM6/18/13
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:21:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 06:03:13 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Many of our ancestors came here to get away from the perpetual
>>>tribal
>>>rivalry of Europe
>>
>> As a general rule they were more concerned with poverty and not
>> starving.
>
>http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/h/highgerm.html

Which is a song from about 1700.

Which groups were leaving for the Americas in 1700 to get away from
wars?

smharding

Jun 18, 2013, 8:03:49 AM6/18/13
Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
>
> http://www.historynet.com/american-proconsul-how-douglas-macarthur-shaped-postwar-japan.htm
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/peopleevents/pandeAMEX99.html
> "Students of the occupation period are stunned by how readily the
> Japanese remade their country along an American model."
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Dear-General-MacArthur-Japanese-Occupation/dp/0742511162
> "They reveal the fascinating diversity of opinion among Japanese, who
> showered MacArthur with adulation, political advice, complaints,
> gifts, and urgent personal pleas."
>
> "Given the savagery of the war in the Pacific, the respectful,
> occasionally worshipful tone of many of these letters has an eerie
> quality."

MacArthur's handling of the occupation of Japan probably outranks his
achievements as a general.

He did a really fine job of it.

And it really is somewhat surprising given the ferocity and racist aspects of
fighting Japan. The war
against Japan was somewhat "personal" in a national sense, that it seems the war
in Europe was not.

SMH

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 8:34:05 AM6/18/13
"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
My ancestors on both sides.

William Penn and Roger Williams weren't poor or starving:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Penn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Williams_(theologian)

jsw

Bill

Jun 18, 2013, 9:11:33 AM6/18/13
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:34:05 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:21:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/h/highgerm.html
>>>

>> Which is a song from about 1700.
>>
>> Which groups were leaving for the Americas in 1700 to get away from
>> wars?
>>

>My ancestors on both sides.
>
>William Penn and Roger Williams weren't poor or starving:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Penn
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Williams_(theologian)

I hope you're not claiming they were typical...

Or part of a group...

Or fleeing war...

>jsw

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 9:58:26 AM6/18/13
"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Those two were exceptional. Average people don't have Wikis to quote.

> Or part of a group...

Leading a group isn't part of one???
"Penn proposed a solution which would solve the dilemma-a mass
emigration of English Quakers."

> Or fleeing war...

Avoiding religious persecution, the root of many of the wars then.
'War' was your word, I wrote 'rivalry' to include civil oppression.

The settlers we think we are descended from arrived at the time of the
first English Civil War. The family surnames appear earlier in the
records here, 1618 in Virginia and on the Mayflower.

jsw

Bill

Jun 18, 2013, 10:11:17 AM6/18/13
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:58:26 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>My ancestors on both sides.
>>>
>>>William Penn and Roger Williams weren't poor or starving:
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Penn
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Williams_(theologian)
>>
>> I hope you're not claiming they were typical...
>
>Those two were exceptional. Average people don't have Wikis to quote.
>
>> Or part of a group...
>
>Leading a group isn't part of one???
>"Penn proposed a solution which would solve the dilemma-a mass
>emigration of English Quakers."

Penn was acting as the direct agent of the king.

He wasn't fleeing anything.

>> Or fleeing war...
>
>Avoiding religious persecution, the root of many of the wars then.
>'War' was your word, I wrote 'rivalry' to include civil oppression.
>
>The settlers we think we are descended from arrived at the time of the
>first English Civil War. The family surnames appear earlier in the
>records here, 1618 in Virginia and on the Mayflower.

1618 is well before that.

Oliver Cromwell himself considered joining them at one stage.

Thomas Rainsborough came back from the Americas to involve himself in
the war.

Keith W

Jun 18, 2013, 1:32:03 PM6/18/13
The war is Europe was not personal for the Americans, it was
somewhat personal for the British who had seen their homeland
bombed and it was INTENSELY personal for those countries
who's homeland was invaded and occupied by Germany especially
the slavic countries who's inhabitants were classified as sub
human by the occupiers.

This was very noticeable to British servicemen who soon
realized that their Polish, Czech and Free French allies fought
with a determination and ferocity that could not be ignored.

The sad thing was that after war so many of the Poles and Czechs
could not return home as the new occupiers were scarcely any
friendlier than the old.

Keith

Keith W

Jun 18, 2013, 1:59:40 PM6/18/13
Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Those two were exceptional. Average people don't have Wikis to quote.
>
>> Or part of a group...
>
> Leading a group isn't part of one???
> "Penn proposed a solution which would solve the dilemma-a mass
> emigration of English Quakers."

1) There was no mass emigration of English Quakers. The Quaker
movement remained strong in England as it does to this day.

2) William Penn went to America in the 1680's which is well after
Charles II had issued the Royal Declaration Of Indulgence
which lifted all penalties against non conformists. In fact the period
in which the Quaker Act penalised them was a single decade

Penn was in fact rather a court favourite and the King awarded
him title to most of present day Pennsylvania and Delaware.
He was a rather late convert to Quakerism and in his youth
served in Ireland where he commanded English troops
that suppressed a local rebellion.

While his actions in America certainly spread toleration
his primary motives were undoubtedly economic. Its also
worth pointing out that Quakers were actively persecuted
in New England where a number were actually executed
for their beliefs which did NOT happen in England.

>> Or fleeing war...
>
> Avoiding religious persecution, the root of many of the wars then.
> 'War' was your word, I wrote 'rivalry' to include civil oppression.
>
> The settlers we think we are descended from arrived at the time of the
> first English Civil War. The family surnames appear earlier in the
> records here, 1618 in Virginia and on the Mayflower.
>
> jsw

<sarcasm on>
And we all recall the tolerance with they conducted affairs in the new
world establishing what was to all intents and purposes a theocracy.
<sarcasm off>

Witch hunts, the persecution of the Quakers, Catholics and any other
religious
group other than their own led to the founding of other colonies in modern
New England and along the eastern seaboard.

Keith

Daryl

Jun 18, 2013, 3:05:00 PM6/18/13
On 6/18/2013 11:59 AM, Keith W wrote:
> Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Those two were exceptional. Average people don't have Wikis to quote.
>>
>>> Or part of a group...
>>
>> Leading a group isn't part of one???
>> "Penn proposed a solution which would solve the dilemma-a mass
>> emigration of English Quakers."
>>

> 1) There was no mass emigration of English Quakers. The Quaker
> movement remained strong in England as it does to this day.

Here, let me help you out on this one. One side of my family showed up
in 1622 (met another side that was already in the Carolinas) and another
branch arrived in the early 1700s with the understanding of export from
England (Actually, Ireland) to get on the gallows, get in the Prison or
get on the Boat. Their only crime was they were outspoken Irishmen that
believe in Irish Independence. Not many things changed for the next 3
to 400 years.

You are English. There really isn't a Britain anymore. It's gone. The
only two places left are Scotland (who would rather not be owned by the
English) and Northern Ireland whom the English can't seem to understand
that within 10 years, Northern Ireland will be Independent of England or
it will turn into another blood batch.

You are an Englishman, I am half Mick. Let the Irish get into this
discussion since you seem to be talking for them as you claim to be
British. The Brits were invaders and conquerors.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 4:25:53 PM6/18/13
"Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> While his actions in America certainly spread toleration
> his primary motives were undoubtedly economic. Its also
> worth pointing out that Quakers were actively persecuted
> in New England where a number were actually executed
> for their beliefs which did NOT happen in England.

Yes, when some of the persecuted sects gained power here they revealed
why they had been suppressed in England

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~cap/puritan/purhist.html
"But where with the Pilgrims this had translated into something closer
to an egalitarian mode, the "Puritans considered religion a very
complex, subtle, and highly intellectual affair," and its leaders thus
were highly trained scholars, whose education tended to translate into
positions that were often authoritarian."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Mather

It seems like a thousand years separates him from Ben Franklin.
jsw

Bill

Jun 18, 2013, 4:35:29 PM6/18/13
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:25:53 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"But where with the Pilgrims this had translated into something closer
>to an egalitarian mode, the "Puritans considered religion a very
>complex, subtle, and highly intellectual affair," and its leaders thus
>were highly trained scholars, whose education tended to translate into
>positions that were often authoritarian."

While 'Puritan' may denote a specific group in America it most
certainly does not in England where the various 'Puritan' groups
splintered during the English Civil Wars into a myriad different sects
ranging from the 'Silken Independents' who tended to be rich men who
still didn't like the idea of bishops but who felt that property
ownership was an important qualification in people running the
country, through to the Family of Man, and various other radical
Christian groups, who believed in stuff like women ministers, free
love, not taking ones hat off to a superior, with plenty of other
groups in between...

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2013, 5:28:13 PM6/18/13
"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Not many people here use "myriad" in conversation.

When the Japanese were bragging about having a word for 10,000 I
showed a Mitsubishi chief engineer that it had that alternate meaning
in English, as well as "too many to count", and never heard the boast
again.
jsw

David E. Powell

Jun 18, 2013, 10:54:00 PM6/18/13
The most powerful aspect of MacArthur's treatment and regard for the Japanese people was the deep personal attachment he had to his men and to the people of the Philippines who were under Japanese occupation. How he conducted himself actually drew some criticism from those seeking more tough conditions, but the amazing thing was, no one could really criticize him effectively because of that very aspect. People mention Nixon going to China, but MacArthur going to Japan and the way he handled it is one for the books.

In modern U.S. High School history texts this period is hardly mentioned but it is extremely powerful as a lesson on what the best of America can be. It also demonstrated a profound understanding of Japanese culture and a willingness to put reconstruction ahead of wrath that Lincoln would have been proud of.

In short, I tremendously agree with your post.

smharding

Jun 20, 2013, 8:47:58 AM6/20/13
Keith W wrote:

> <sarcasm on>
> And we all recall the tolerance with they conducted affairs in the new
> world establishing what was to all intents and purposes a theocracy.
> <sarcasm off>
>
> Witch hunts, the persecution of the Quakers, Catholics and any other
> religious
> group other than their own led to the founding of other colonies in modern
> New England and along the eastern seaboard.

Pretty common attribute of humnaity, whether religious or political. You
complain about how oppressive the rulers are, then become just like them when
you get power. Just a different bunch of people in prison or worse.

One might also observe that those Puritans practice there religion by
"congregating" in meetings to discuss subjects, initially religious, but expanding
toward public affairs over time. These meeting served as democratic incubators
to some extent, so it wasn't all bad. Those Puritans just needed some time to
expand their focus!

Here in Massachusetts, all state residents paid a "tithe" for the support of
religion
(largely Congregationalist), which was essentially the "state religion".
Massachusetts didn't remove state connections to religion from its constitution
until 1833, and still had mandatory tithes on a community basis all the way into
the 1840's.

The Catholic Bishop of Holyoke, MA had to secretly buy the land upon which
Catholics of the town (Irish immigrants) built their cathedral. Had it been known
what the purpose of the purchase was for, it likely would have been prevented
in some way. That was around 1860 I believe and represented a "double whammy"
as far as the Enlish-centric, protestant town leaders were concerned: the Irish
being there in numbers, and Catholics in general!

The city was surely headed for ruin!

SMH

smharding

Jun 20, 2013, 9:15:59 AM6/20/13
Keith W wrote:

> This was very noticeable to British servicemen who soon
> realized that their Polish, Czech and Free French allies fought
> with a determination and ferocity that could not be ignored.

Certainly agree that war in Euorpe would be deeply "personal" for
Brits, Poles, French, Russians, et. al. No dispute from me on that.

I was observing solely on the US part of the war. There was a
"payback" element to the Pacific war, no doubt somewhat
enhanced by racism, that was largely absent against Italians or
Germans.

> The sad thing was that after war so many of the Poles and Czechs
> could not return home as the new occupiers were scarcely any
> friendlier than the old.

The Russians suffered horrendously during WWII. But they came
out as victors with all the benefits thereof.

Not so for eastern European nations, which ended up occupied by
the Soviet Union, possessing a leader in the same class of brutal as
Hitler.

They had to wait another 50 years to celebrate their liberation from
despotism. Sad indeed.

SMH