Af/Pak & Other News (10/26/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Oct 26, 2012, 1:50:29 PM10/26/12
Suicide bomber kills 40 at Afghan mosque during Eid:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-afghanistan-bombbre89p09o-20121026,0,5697023.story

Hermes accident rate prompts UK action:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/10/hermes-accident-rate-prompts-u.html

Polish helicopter attacked in Afghanistan:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/116380,Polish-helicopter-attacked-in-Afghanistan

Killer Kamikaze Drone Ready to Fly in Afghanistan:

http://blogs.defensenews.com/ausa/2012/10/23/killer-kamikaze-drone-ready-to-fly-in-afghanistan/

Britain rejects US request to use UK bases in nuclear standoff with
Iran:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/25/uk-reject-us-request-bases-iran

2 Yemeni senior security officers assassinated:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21853442/2-yemeni-senior-security-officers-assassinated

Iraq looks to reinstate disbanded army officers:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Iraq_looks_to_reinstate_disbanded_army_officers_999.html

Fighting ruptures ragged Syrian ceasefire:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49565410

Russia: U.S. Coordinates Weapon Deliveries to Syria Rebels:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121025/DEFREG02/310250006/Russia-U-S-Coordinates-Weapon-Deliveries-Syria-Rebels?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Exclusive: U.S. Rushes to Stop Syria from Expanding Chemical Weapon
Stockpile:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10/syria-chemical-weapons-2/

Israel keeps silent on mysterious Sudan airstrike:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middle-east/2012/10/25/israel-keeps-silent-mysterious-sudan-airstrike/VdhqGM43ZY26SFKwQCVbzK/story.html

Why an Israeli Attack in Sudan Wouldn't Be Practice for Iran:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/israeli-attack-sudan-practice-iran/story?id=17563539#.UImNdG9mLFk

Al Qaeda-linked jihadists helped incite 9/11 Cairo protest:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/10/al_qaeda-linked_jiha.php

EXCLUSIVE: CIA operators were denied request for help during Benghazi
attack, sources say:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/26/cia-operators-were-denied-request-for-help-during-benghazi-attack-sources-say/

Rotterdam vs. Dhow, 1:0:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:f4388459-314a-4899-9526-046747ab020a

Spatial disorientation led to U-28A crash in Djibouti:

http://alert5.com/2012/10/26/spatial-disorientation-led-to-u-28a-crash-in-djibouti/

The Islamist Threat Isn't Going Away:

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/michael-j-totten/islamist-threat-isnt-going-away

France Tests Sub-Launched Cruise Missile:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/139704/france-tests-sub_launched-cruise-missile.html

DCNS Unveils Anti-Air Missile for Submarines:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/139703/dcns-unveils-anti_air-missile-for-submarines.html

DCNS Unveils New Special Mission Submarine:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/139694/dcns-unveils-new-special-mission-submarine.html

A Soviet missile base in Germany that spy planes never saw:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20079147

Denmark Upgrades EW Suite of EH-101:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/139692/denmark-upgrades-ew-suite-of-eh_101-helicopters.html

56 dead in renewed ethnic violence in west Myanmar:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_21852300/un-calls-calm-amid-deadly-new-myanmar-clashes

Northrop Grumman Delivers New BACN-Equipped Global Hawk to USAF Ahead
of Schedule:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Northrop_Grumman_Delivers_New_BACN_Equipped_Global_Hawk_to_USAF_Ahead_of_Schedule_999.html

Navy christens Minnesota Saturday:

http://defensetech.org/2012/10/25/navy-christens-minnesota-saturday/

WikiLeaks says releases hacked U.S. detainee rules:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28256:wikileaks-says-releases-hacked-us-detainee-rules&catid=3:Civil%20Security&Itemid=113

Lockheed Martin Demonstrates JAGM Dual-Mode Seeker in High-Speed
Captive Flight Tests:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Lockheed_Martin_Demonstrates_JAGM_Dual_Mode_Seeker_in_High_Speed_Captive_Flight_Tests_999.html

AESA Driving New Applications For Ground Radars:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_10_15_2012_p21-500892.xml

Aegis Radar Appears on Italian Ship Design:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121026/DEFREG01/310260002/Aegis-Radar-Appears-Italian-Ship-Design?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Raytheon's Excalibur Ib demonstrates accuracy during flight tests:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Raytheons_Excalibur_Ib_demonstrates_accuracy_during_flight_tests_999.html

MDA Goes 3 For 5 In First-Of-Its-Kind Flight Test:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_10_26_2012_p01-02-511031.xml

USAF Details ICBM Upgrade Program:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/139700/usaf-details-icbm-upgrade-program.html

NRO Readies Open Source Cloud For Launch:

http://gov.aol.com/2012/10/26/nro-readies-open-source-cloud-for-launch/

Lockheed Martin Adds Persistent Surveillance Option to Dragon ISR
Configurations:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Lockheed_Martin_Adds_Persistent_Surveillance_Option_to_Dragon_ISR_Configurations_999.html

Lasing Airplanes Ain’t Cool, Kids:

http://defensetech.org/2012/10/26/lasing-airplanes-aint-cool-kids/

Bill

Oct 26, 2012, 2:07:16 PM10/26/12
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:50:29 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Britain rejects US request to use UK bases in nuclear standoff with
>Iran:
>
>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/25/uk-reject-us-request-bases-iran

Now this one's interesting, not because of the story which is pretty
obviously complete bollocks (The British government would not be
asking for legal advice unless a formal request of some kind had been
made) but because the Guardian is planning a campaign against the
current British government in the event of any attack on Iran.

Essentially what you're seeing is a very interesting attempt by the
left wing media to push British foreign policy in a particular way.

Jeffrey Hamilton

Oct 27, 2012, 10:17:14 PM10/27/12

> Britain rejects US request to use UK bases in nuclear standoff with
> Iran:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/25/uk-reject-us-request-bases-iran

Translation: We are awash in Muslim terrorists as it is, imagine the results
if we stirred them up with something like this.

*You guys lead the way, for a change...*

cheers....Jeff

Orval Fairbairn

Oct 27, 2012, 10:38:03 PM10/27/12
In article <k6i4i6$hc4$1...@dont-email.me>,
No more than terrorists getting hold of either an Iranian or Pakistani
nuclear weapon and using it on someone.

Bill

Oct 28, 2012, 8:49:27 AM10/28/12
Well the USA has stated categorically that it is happy with Pakistani
nuclear safeguards.

And Iran still hasn't yet got an atomic device and seems reasonably
intent on keeping high tech weapons away from its clients like Hamas
and Hezbollah.

For example all the RPG-29 weapons used to great effect by Hezbollah
against Israel in the Lebanon were proved to be of Syrian origin and
none have turned up yet in Gaza or on the West Bank despite it being
in the Iranian armoury for many years.

Orval Fairbairn

Oct 28, 2012, 4:57:40 PM10/28/12
In article <20aq881ucvp8bv3tj...@4ax.com>,
... Syrian through Iran.

Bill

Oct 28, 2012, 6:43:28 PM10/28/12
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:57:40 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
Nope.

Wrong again.

The Israelis captured some and took them to Moscow after the Russians
denied they'd supplied Hezbollah.

Markings on them showed that they'd been supplied directly to Syria by
Russia and then passed to Hezbollah without Syria telling the
Russians.

Russia promptly stopped arms supplies to Syria for a short time and
subsequently when they did restart the Syrian government stopped
receiving supplies of the latest anti-tank weapons and shoulder fired
SAMs because they couldn't be trusted with them.

You see the Russians have their own Moslem nutters to worry about and
really don't want the latest stuff washing about on the international
arms bazaar where any passing Chechen can buy one...

Orval Fairbairn

Oct 28, 2012, 7:47:13 PM10/28/12
In article <nrcr885muq1dien5t...@4ax.com>,
Yup -- they have them in Spades!